PDA

View Full Version : Riddle Me This

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

John Charles
03-21-07, 04:27 PM
This is the official thread for riddles, logic puzzles and the like. If you fancy yourself a logician or if you think you are good at puzzles, this is the thread for you.

Here's how it works. I will post a riddle to get us started. The first person to answer the riddle correctly will post their own riddle. The first person to answer that riddle correctly will go ahead and post a ridddle, and so on...

How will we know if we have answered the riddle correctly? Excellent question! We're going to have to police ourselves. If you are just throwing guesses out there and you're not absolutely certain, then you should wait for confirmations from the original riddle poster. If you are absolutely certain you are correct, then go ahead and post another riddle.

Unsolvable riddles will be skipped and the poster of such will be punsihed with 30 lashes of a licorice stick.

Most of the riddles I know I have already posted in our wonderful chat room. If you know the answer to the following riddle because you have already seen me ask it, please wait for someone else to answer.

Here we go:

A man with no brothers enters a Post Office. Upon seeing a poster of a man on the wall he exclaims, "That man's father is my father's son!"

Who is in the poster?

ETA: If you post the answer but do not have a riddle of your own to post, then the next riddle posted by anyone will be the riddle we'll use.

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 04:43 PM
Is it his son?

(I looked at that for so long, the word "father" started to look really strange... :) )

solat
03-21-07, 04:44 PM
His own son.

ozchick
03-21-07, 04:44 PM
What if we know the answer, but have no riddle to offer up?

John Charles
03-21-07, 04:48 PM
What if we know the answer, but have no riddle to offer up?
Yes it is his son.

If you have no riddle to offer up, then it's a free for all. The next official riddle will be the next riddle posted.

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 04:52 PM
This one might be too easy:

What is so fragile, you can break it by saying its name?

John Charles
03-21-07, 04:53 PM
Silence?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 04:54 PM
you got it, baby. :)

eta: This is a good idea for a thread, LS.

John Charles
03-21-07, 04:55 PM
What is worth more, a trunk filled with nickels or a trunk half filled with dimes?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 04:57 PM
They're worth the same. (right?)

John Charles
03-21-07, 04:58 PM
nope

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 05:00 PM
The trunk that's half-filled with dimes. The dimes are smaller, so there are more of them.

(I don't know if that's right, but I have to get going, so I'll post a new one anyway.)

Forwards I am heavy, backwards, I am not. What am I?

Scott
03-21-07, 05:53 PM
A ton.

Mary's father has 4 children; three are named Nana, Nene, and Nini. So what is is the 4th childs name?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 05:54 PM
Mary.

I have holes in my top and bottom, my left and right, and in the middle. But I still hold water. What am I?

John Charles
03-21-07, 05:54 PM
Mary.

Scott
03-21-07, 05:57 PM
Mary.

I have holes in my top and bottom, my left and right, and in the middle. But I still hold water. What am I?

A sponge.

The more you of them you take, the more you leave behind. What are they?

John Charles
03-21-07, 06:01 PM
Footsteps.

What gets wet while drying?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 06:02 PM
A towel!

The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?

John Charles
03-21-07, 06:03 PM
Coffin

There more you take away, the larger it becomes. What is it?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 06:09 PM
A hole?

It's more powerful than God.
It's more evil than the devil.
The poor have it.
The rich need it.
If you eat it, you'll die.
What is it?

Scott
03-21-07, 06:14 PM
Nothing!

I can run but not walk. Wherever I go, thought follows closely behind. What am I?

John Charles
03-21-07, 06:20 PM
Your Nose!

What other letter fits in the following series:
B C D E I K O X?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 06:40 PM
H! They're all symmetrical.

I have feathers to help me fly. I have a body and head, but I'm not alive. It is your strength which determines how far I go. You can hold me in your hand, but I'm never thrown. What am I?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 06:42 PM
an arrow?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 06:46 PM
Yep!

John Charles
03-21-07, 06:47 PM
nj blue!

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 06:50 PM
How would you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer.

John Charles
03-21-07, 06:55 PM
ONE WORD!

Two mothers and two daughters go to a pet store and buy three cats. Each female gets her own cat. How is this possible?

Scott
03-21-07, 06:57 PM
One of the daughters is a mother, too.

What goes around the world but stays in a corner?

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:01 PM
A stamp!

Six glasses are in a row. The first three are full of juice; the second three are empty. By moving only one glass, can you arrange them so empty and full glasses alternate?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 07:04 PM
take the second glass and dump it into the fifth glass.

What's black when you buy it, red when you use it, and grey when you throw it away?

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:05 PM
Charcoal!

What has wheels and flies, but is not an aircraft?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 07:09 PM
A garbage truck. (that was one of my favorites as a kid :) )

What is it, that when you take away the whole, you still have some?

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:14 PM
Wholesome!

How could a cowboy ride into town on Friday, stay two days, and ride out on Friday?

Des02
03-21-07, 07:16 PM
his horse is named Friday!
im a bird a shoe polish and a fruit what am i?
hope i can join

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:19 PM
Kiwi!

What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 07:21 PM
"M"

Name three consecutive days without using the words, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Scott
03-21-07, 07:22 PM
Yesterday, today and tomorrow?

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:22 PM
Nevermind.

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 07:24 PM
Yesterday, today and tomorrow?
Right!

Scott
03-21-07, 07:26 PM
Yay!

Throw it off the tallest building, and it won't break. Put it in the ocean and it will. What is it?

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:31 PM
A Wave!

What is the next letter in the series: "B, C, D, E, G, ..."? And Why?

Crandyman
03-21-07, 07:41 PM
P, T, V then Z...They all rhyme!

A man walks into a his bathroom and shoots himself right between the eyes using a real gun with real bullets. He walks out alive, with no blood anywhere to be found. How did he do this?

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:46 PM
He shoots the mirror!

Pronounced as one letter,
And written with three,
Two letters there are,
And two only in me.
I'm double, I'm single,
I'm black, blue, and gray,
I'm read from both ends,
And the same either way.
What am I?

Crandyman
03-21-07, 07:47 PM
He shoots the mirror?

Absolutely!! Nice job!!

Crandyman
03-21-07, 07:56 PM
EYE

John Charles
03-21-07, 07:58 PM
"Railroad Crossing! Watch out for the cars!" Can you spell it wothout any R's?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 08:02 PM
X? Like the sign?

Crandyman
03-21-07, 08:22 PM
"Railroad Crossing! Watch out for the cars!" Can you spell it wothout any R's?

Well you spell it with and 'I' and a 'T'. No 'R's

John Charles
03-21-07, 08:54 PM
WTG Crandy!

Free for all!

Who's got the next riddle?

camelsmoker
03-21-07, 09:00 PM
Since Crandy neglected to post a new one, I'll go ahead and re-start the riddling.

Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

DesignByRazor
03-21-07, 09:00 PM
A fire.

An old man wanted to leave all of his money to one of his three sons, but he didn't know which one he should give it to. He gave each of them a few coins and told them to buy something that would be able to fill their living room. The first man bought straw, but there was not enough to fill the room. The second bought some sticks, but they still did not fill the room. The third man bought two things that filled the room, so he obtained his father's fortune. What were the two things that the man bought?

camelsmoker
03-21-07, 09:25 PM
Nearly cracked my head open with this one... but I think I've got it.

A candle, and a matchbook... to fill the room with light?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 09:50 PM
I was thinking an instrument and a song, but yours makes more sense.

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 10:05 PM
Here's a new one (I'm not known for my patience.)

You have two American coins that equal 30 cents. One of the coins is not a quarter. What are the two coins?

Smartypants
03-21-07, 10:07 PM
A quarter and a nickel.

(Only one of the coins is not a quarter, right?)

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 10:12 PM
you got it, baby!

psst! now you post the next one. :)

Alostcause
03-21-07, 10:48 PM
A man is lying dead in a field with an unopend package next to him. The is nothing else in the field. How did he die?

blue sunrise
03-21-07, 11:53 PM
The package is an unopened parachute.

Here's an oldie but goodie:

You are walking down a road and you encounter a fork in the road and you do not know the correct way to go. There are two men standing at the junction and both know the correct road. One man always lies, and the other man always tells the truth, but you do not know who is the liar and who is the one who tells the truth. You can only ask each man one question, but it must be the same question for both. What is the question that would allow you to get the information necessary to choose the correct path?

Alostcause
03-22-07, 12:00 AM
Grr.... I know this one.... *thinks*

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 12:07 AM
You have to ask, "If I were to ask the other guy, which road would he tell me is the correct road?". The liar will lie, and point you in the wrong direction, and the truth-teller will tell the truth, again pointing you in the wrong direction. All you have to do is take the road they don't point you to. :)

Another logic puzzle:
Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs, all of which are off at the moment. Each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if you may enter the room with the bulbs only once?

solat
03-22-07, 12:26 AM
Turn on one of the bulbs and leave it on for a few minutes. Switch it off. Then turn on another one of the bulbs and leave it on. Go to the other room to check. You can tell which bulb was the original one you turned on by touching it to see if it's warm or not.

Six glasses are in a row. The first three are full of juice; the second three are empty. By moving only one glass, can you arrange them so empty and full glasses alternate?

John Charles
03-22-07, 12:28 AM
Pour the juice from the second glass into the fifth glass. I think this one was posted already. :)

General Lagersfeld, accused of high treason, is sentenced to death by the court-martial. He is allowed to make a final statement, after which he will be shot if the statement is false or will be hung if the statement is true. Lagersfeld makes his final statement and is released.

What did he say?

solat
03-22-07, 12:31 AM
I'm about to be shot?

ETA: Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread.

vonnegut
03-22-07, 12:31 AM
I will be shot.

ETA: Dammit, solate ;)

solat
03-22-07, 12:32 AM
so-aheadofyou is more like it. :)

Go ahead and post a riddle though, I can't think of any right now.

vonnegut
03-22-07, 12:34 AM
I can't think of one, either.

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 12:35 AM
That's a very famous version of the Liar paradox. A similar version can be found in Book II of Don Quixote, when Sancho Panza is governor of Barataria.

blue sunrise
03-22-07, 12:38 AM
:D This thread is becoming very educational.

What is special about the number 854917632?

vonnegut
03-22-07, 12:42 AM
Um... besides that no number is repeated?

I suck at math :D

blue sunrise
03-22-07, 12:44 AM
Um... besides that no number is repeated?
Yes, and?

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 12:44 AM
It's the numbers one through nine... in alphabetical order.

blue sunrise
03-22-07, 12:45 AM
:clap: :yayconfet

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 01:01 AM
A new riddle:

Decapitate me, and all becomes equal. Then truncate me and I become second. Cut me front and back and I become two less than I started.

What am I?

DesignByRazor
03-22-07, 02:03 AM
Is it cheating if we've heard it before? ;)

annasladia
03-22-07, 02:53 AM
Are you a pack of cards?

annasladia
03-22-07, 02:55 AM
How long can you keep a Turkey in a freezer?

John Charles
03-22-07, 03:18 AM
A new riddle:

Decapitate me, and all becomes equal. Then truncate me and I become second. Cut me front and back and I become two less than I started.

What am I?

is it the word 'all'?

solat
03-22-07, 05:25 AM
A new riddle:

What am I?

I had to google that one. I won't post the answer here.

But very sneaky, camel.

Tater
03-22-07, 08:34 AM
A hole?

It's more powerful than God.
It's more evil than the devil.
The poor have it.
The rich need it.
If you eat it, you'll die.
What is it?

I am loving this thread!!!!!!!!

This is one of my favorite riddles... I tell it different though...

What is greater than all the gods?
What is worse than all the demons?
Dead people eat this always,
and living people who eat this die slowly.

Nothing.

One of my absolute favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But very sneaky, camel.

So... I am really really really! hoping people are figuring these riddles out on thier own and not taking the easy way out and googling for answers...

that being said... I have a really great riddle... and for those who do want to google for the answers... try to restrain yourselves from posting for those of us who like to figure out the riddles on thier own...

okay... thank you...

This is a thing that nothing is,
yet it has a name.
It's sometimes small.
It's sometimes short.
It joins your talks.
It joins your sports,
and plays at every game.
What is it?

vonnegut
03-22-07, 02:44 PM
Shadow.

blue sunrise
03-22-07, 03:45 PM
So... I am really really really! hoping people are figuring these riddles out on thier own and not taking the easy way out and googling for answers...For the record, I don't google the answers, but I do google the new riddles that I post. :)

And I agree, this thread is great fun!

vonnegut
03-22-07, 03:48 PM
I just thought of something.

We should spoiler-tag answers. That way, if you want to figure it out on your own, you can, even if someone else has already posted the answer.

blue sunrise
03-22-07, 03:56 PM

We should spoiler-tag answers. That way, if you want to figure it out on your own, you can, even if someone else has already posted the answer.
Sounds good. Do you have a new one?

vonnegut
03-22-07, 04:04 PM
No, sorry...

Anyone else?

ETA: All the riddles I know are so old that everyone knows them, and I'm too lazy to google for some.

Tater
03-22-07, 04:53 PM

Great idea!

Here's another...

Walk on the living,
not a word they'll mumble.
Walk on the dead,
they'll mutter and grumble.

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 04:56 PM
A new riddle:

What am I?

Is it cheating if we've heard it before? ;)No, but again.. the spoiler tag idea is a good one.

Are you a pack of cards?No.

is it the word 'all'?No.

But very sneaky, camel.Thanks for not posting the answer. :)

So, no one's figured it out on their own?

Walk on the living,
not a word they'll mumble.
Walk on the dead,
they'll mutter and grumble. Leaves?

Tater
03-22-07, 05:05 PM
yep. good call CS

vonnegut
03-22-07, 06:42 PM
Yours is driving me nuts, Job.

But I'm going to get it.

I know that it's word-related.

John Charles
03-22-07, 06:52 PM
A new riddle:

What am I?
I had to google this so I will not post a riddle. Man oh man cs, this was a toughy. If you give up click on the spoiler.

seven

Tater
03-22-07, 07:09 PM
I pass beneath the sun but create no shadow

an easy one I know lol

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 07:18 PM
Wind.

Tater
03-22-07, 07:19 PM
The oldest riddle known to man

What walks on four legs in the morning,
two legs in the afternoon,
and three legs in the evening?

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 07:25 PM
Man. He crawls on four legs as a baby, walks on two legs as an adult, and uses a cane in old age.

Here's a new one:

You don't want one, but if you've got one, you don't want to lose it. What is it?

Tater
03-22-07, 07:34 PM
Man. He crawls on four legs as a baby, walks on two legs as an adult, and uses a cane in old age.

Here's a new one:

You don't want one, but if you've got one, you don't want to lose it. What is it?

"a fight"

The person who builds it, sells it.
The person who buys it, doesn't need it.
The person who needs it, doesn't know it.

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 07:38 PM
The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?

Already been done, Tater. :)

Want to post another one?

Tater
03-22-07, 07:45 PM
Oops... okay...

I may have the wording a little wrong here but...

You can own me, but not have me in your possession.
You can break me, but I'll not stop working.
If you can see me, I am useless to you.

I messed it up I know but I don't feel like looking for the right way to say it lol

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 08:06 PM
Okay, I have heard that one, but I don't remember the exact wording, either. Anyway...
Your heart.

Here's an old paradox-puzzle I remember from Martin Gardner's book Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle and Delight, which I received for my Bar Mitzvah (back in 1989) and read to tatters...

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29. Where is the missing $1?

otherdruid
03-22-07, 08:22 PM
Okay, I have heard that one, but I don't remember the exact wording, either. Anyway...
Your heart.

Here's an old paradox-puzzle I remember from Martin Gardner's book Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle and Delight, which I received for my Bar Mitzvah (back in 1989) and read to tatters...

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29. Where is the missing $1?

Trick question! There is no missing dollar. The total money exchanged is still $30. The key is to look at where the money ended up. The hotel got $25, plus $3 to each patron, plus $2 to the bellboy (25+3+2) = $30

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 08:24 PM
:clap:

Your turn, otherdruid. :D

Tater
03-22-07, 08:28 PM
Your heart.

Best I can tell it's a trick question... $25 (manager) + $2 (bellboy) + $3 (returned to guests) = $30... You wouldn't add the $2 the bellboy has to the $27 total paid for $29. You would subtract it to get $25. The $25 the manager has.

Tater
03-22-07, 08:29 PM
Someone posted it while I was typing lol

blue sunrise
03-22-07, 10:38 PM
Dedicated to a friend of mine. :D
-----------------------------------------

Before I came, confusion abounded.
I'm late, I'm late was frequently sounded.

I'm not average, but was based on a mean.
My size, in theory, is constant: fifteen.

I'm two dozen steps, again in theory.
But walk my length and you'd get weary.

I take half and quarter steps at times.
In reality, I don't follow the lines.

I shrink to nothing in two cold extremes.
Over a thousand miles wide in the betweens.

What am I?

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 10:43 PM
Time zones

camelsmoker
03-22-07, 10:55 PM
Ok, this isn't exactly a riddle, or a logic puzzle... more of a brain-teaser, again from the mind of Martin Gardner:

In the U.S., a date such as July 4, 2007, is often written 7/4/07, but in other countries (such as France, where I live) the month is given second and the same date is written 4/7/07. If you do not know which system is being used, how many dates in a year are ambiguous in this two-slash notation?

John Charles
03-23-07, 01:51 AM
132?

camelsmoker
03-23-07, 11:32 AM
Bingo! :D

Nice job, LS. :clap:

vonnegut
03-23-07, 08:41 PM
Give us another!

And by the way:

I finally gave up and looked at the answer, and I still don't understand it. I see the part of "decapitation" meaning "even", but the rest doesn't make sense to me. I think what I'm trying to say here is: Ay hay chew."

blue sunrise
03-23-07, 09:02 PM
Give us another!

And by the way:

I finally gave up and looked at the answer, and I still don't understand it. I see the part of "decapitation" meaning "even", but the rest doesn't make sense to me. I think what I'm trying to say here is: Ay hay chew."

Truncate "even" to get "eve" (the second person (if you go for that), cut off the front and back (remove the e's) and you get V (roman numeral 5 = two less than seven)

I had to look at the answer for this one too.

blue sunrise
03-23-07, 09:12 PM
LS should have the next one because he solved camel's, but since he's not here, I'll post one in the mean time.
----------------------------------

My first is double twenty-one but twice of twenty-two,
Decipher it and you will see that statement is quite true.

My next two are just three apart, or, looking at the link,
You'll have the answer easily and will not have to think.

My fourth is so more ways than one, so long as you can spell,
While my fifth splits first and second, so what is it? Can you tell?

It may seem like these words of rhyme are nonsense things to say,
Though the five together are right here (two ways) so what are they?

vonnegut
03-23-07, 09:20 PM
Good one.

blue sunrise
03-23-07, 09:25 PM
Dear me, it's been 12 minutes since I posted the riddle. Is it possible that I stumped camel? Do I dare to dream?

camelsmoker
03-23-07, 09:27 PM
Are you mocking me?

I think I have it... but I'll be damned if I understand it all. :confused:

blue sunrise
03-23-07, 09:32 PM
And your answer is.....

camelsmoker
03-23-07, 09:34 PM
Words.

blue sunrise
03-23-07, 09:36 PM
You are amazing. Really. :clap:

The answer that you seek to find, in words, is now shown here,
To understand the clues read on, I'll try to make it clear.

The twenty-first of letters is U in the alphabet,
Double it, W is the letter you would then get.

Now the twenty-second letter of the alphabet is V,
When written twice together a W it could be.

I hope I've explained the clues to give W as letter one,
Now let's move on, there's four more letters to be done.

The second and third letters are three from each other,
But to scour the alphabet to find them, you needn't bother.

If you were looking carefully you'd have seen in the third line,
The linking word, OR, fits this criteria just fine.

This makes the second O, and R would be the third,
Which gives us W, O and R as letters of this word.

The fourth letter in the alphabet is fourth in the answer too,
Which makes the fourth one D, only one more left to do!

Finally the fifth lies between the first and second,
In the alphabet, S splits W and O, that's what I reckoned.

Combine the five, see that they've been used here a lot?
And in the seventh line, sixth word, the answer even got a spot!

So now you know the answer and those clues are less absurd,
It's amazing what you can do with a word, oops, I mean WORDS!

vonnegut
03-23-07, 10:28 PM
This one is driving me nuts, but I think I'm on the right path... they are letters... the first letter is "W." I think that the others are "O" "R" D" "S", making "words," so the answer is words and letters, both are there in two ways? The "o" and "r" are three apart, and "or" is the link in that line... D is the fourth letter, four from one.... I don't know, I don't think this is right, but am I at least on the right track?

ETA: Just saw the responses--- I win!!!

blue sunrise
03-23-07, 10:56 PM
Very impressive. :D

Well, LS is still MIA. Who wants to post the next one?

Alostcause
03-23-07, 11:02 PM
Who posts the next one?... I will

This is an old standard... at least for me

A man walks into a bar and asks for a glass of water. The bartender then points a gun at the man. The man thanks the bartender and leaves..... what happened?

McCutcheon's
03-23-07, 11:18 PM
Who posts the next one?... I will

This is an old standard... at least for me

A man walks into a bar and asks for a glass of water. The bartender then points a gun at the man. The man thanks the bartender and leaves..... what happened?

He had the Hiccups, and the bartender scared them away

A box with no cover, hinges or lid, but golden treasure inside is hid

camelsmoker
03-23-07, 11:33 PM
He had the Hiccups, and the bartender scared them away

A box with no cover, hinges or lid, but golden treasure inside is hid
Good job solving Alostcause's riddle, McCutcheon's. Next time, could you please spoiler tag your answer, so that anyone who would like to figure it out on their own can do so? Thanks. :)

Here's my answer to yours:
An egg.

I believe this is one of the riddles from Bilbo's and Gollum's riddle game in Tolkein's The Hobbit. Right?

McCutcheon's
03-23-07, 11:46 PM
could you please spoiler tag your answer...

Oh, ok, sry I didnt know

and yes, your answer is right

vonnegut
03-23-07, 11:57 PM
So, Job, got another one for us?

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 12:04 AM
This was concocted by the master word-smith Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, known to the world as Lewis Carroll.

John gave his brother James a box:
About it there were many locks.

James woke and said it gave him pain;
So gave it back to John again.

The box was not with lid supplied,
Yet caused two lids to open wide;

And all these locks had never a key-
What kind of box, then, could it be?

blue sunrise
03-24-07, 12:08 AM
John hit James on the head while he was sleeping. The "locks" are his hair. The "lids" are James' eyes.

It roars like thunder,
And rises higher,
While breathing fire,
This wingless wonder.

If it leaves its cave,
Drags us in its tail,
Over hill and dale,
Then you must be brave.

Early morning flight,
Silently it flies,
Slowly in the skies.
Hides before the night.

My kingdom at least,
To the brave young knight,
If you name it right.

What is this huge beast?

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 12:15 AM
A hot air balloon?

obligatory Henry Gale reference

blue sunrise
03-24-07, 12:16 AM
:worshippy

I see you LS! We've been waiting- it's actually your turn to post a riddle. :D

blue sunrise
03-24-07, 12:50 AM

I see you LS! We've been waiting- it's actually your turn to post a riddle. :D
... and he's gone.

It's camel's turn, but he told me to post one while he looks.

This is for the anagram fans. :D

I am a set of three words, all with the same six letters.
First I am a kingdom, though not royally so.
Then spell me backwards, and I become a thin plate.
Now rearrange my consonants, leaving my vowels in place ...
I am now a type of paper.

What are the words?

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 01:01 AM
animal = a kingdom
lamina = a thin plate
manila = a type of paper

blue sunrise
03-24-07, 01:03 AM

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 01:07 AM
:D

Here's one...

Which English word retains the same pronounciation, even after four of its five letters are taken away?

Santa'sLittleHelper
03-24-07, 05:36 AM
Here's one...

Which English word retains the same pronounciation, even after four of its five letters are taken away?
queue

And a new one....

Can you translate the following?

Y Y U R Y Y U B I C U R Y Y 4 M E

Thanks for the invite in the Book Club thread, camel. :)

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 04:33 PM
queue

And a new one....

Can you translate the following?

Y Y U R Y Y U B I C U R Y Y 4 M E

Thanks for the invite in the Book Club thread, camel. :)Glad you decided to stop by, Silly. :)

Too wise you are. Too wise you be. I see you are too wise for me.

I thought I had it right away, but I kept saying "wise you are", instead of "too wise you are", and the last phrase just didn't make sense, until it dawned on me. :D Perhaps this will explain why it took me so long to solve the last riddle:

Today I am here to trip you up,
And I'll torture you tomorrow.
Yet I'm also here to ease the pain,
When you're lost in grief and sorrow. What am I?

vonnegut
03-24-07, 05:04 PM
Time?

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 05:32 PM
Nope.

Santa'sLittleHelper
03-24-07, 05:34 PM
A boozy adult beverage? :D

camelsmoker
03-24-07, 05:38 PM
Yep.

Happy Saturday. :D

Santa'sLittleHelper
03-24-07, 05:52 PM
Oh wow --I was just kidding! LOL! (I'm surprised vonne didn't get it. ;))

Next one....

There are 5 houses in 5 different colours. In each house lives a person of a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet (one type only). Using the clues below can you determine who owns the fish?The Brit lives in a red house.The Swede keeps dogs as pets.The Dane drinks tea.The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.The green house owner drinks coffee.The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk.The Norwegian lives in the first house.The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats.The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill.The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.The German smokes Prince.The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.The man who smokes Blend has a neighbour who drinks water.

vonnegut
03-24-07, 07:48 PM
I figured this one out on my little piece of paper:

Yellow house- Norweigan- Dunhill- Water- Cats
Blue house- Dane- Blend- Tea- Horses
Red house- Brit- Pall Mall- Milk- Birds
Green house- German- Prince- Coffee- Fish
White house- Swede- Blue Master- Beer- Dogs

So the answer is the German.

And Job... :p I can't believe I didn't get that one. Too close to home, I guess.

Santa'sLittleHelper
03-24-07, 09:04 PM
:clap: Excellent, vonne!

Darkshines
03-25-07, 05:51 PM
"I wine, then dine, and am slapped and killed,
Yet it is my lover's blood thats spilled"

Why is this?

camelsmoker
03-25-07, 08:19 PM
a mosquito?

camelsmoker
03-25-07, 09:49 PM
'Twas whispered in Heaven, 'twas muttered in hell,
And echo caught faintly the sound as it fell;
On the confines of earth 'twas permitted to rest,
And in the depths of the ocean its presence confes'd;
'Twill be found in the sphere when 'tis riven asunder,
Be seen in the lightning and heard in the thunder;
'Twas allotted to man with his earliest breath,
Attends him at birth and awaits him at death,
Presides o'er his happiness, honor and health,
Is the prop of his house, and the end of his wealth.
In the heaps of the miser 'tis hoarded with care,
But is sure to be lost on his prodigal heir;
It begins every hope, every wish it must bound,
With the husbandman toils, and with monarchs is crowned;
Without it the soldier and seaman may roam,
But woe to the wretch who expels it from home!
In the whispers of conscience its voice will be found,
Nor e'er in the whirlwind of passion be drowned;
'Twill soften the heart; but though deaf be the ear,
It will make him acutely and instantly hear.
Set in shade, let it rest like a delicate flower;
Ah! Breathe on it softly, it dies in an hour.
--Catherine Maria Fanshawe (1765-1834)

What is it?

blue sunrise
03-25-07, 10:16 PM
the letter H

If I were to ask the Queen and the chair
Both to tell me what they were,
And then should beg of you to bear
To the top of the house the Queen and her chair,
The Queen, her chair, and yourself, all three,
In the same sentence would answer me.

camelsmoker
03-25-07, 10:34 PM
the letter H
*high-fives blue* :D

If I were to ask the Queen and the chair
Both to tell me what they were,
And then should beg of you to bear
To the top of the house the Queen and her chair,
The Queen, her chair, and yourself, all three,
In the same sentence would answer me.I'm gonna need some more time with this one...

Darkshines
03-25-07, 10:37 PM
a mosquito?

*Gives the man a carrot*

blue sunrise
03-25-07, 11:02 PM
*high-fives blue* :D

I'm gonna need some more time with this one...
Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Two times! Two times!

You're well over your usual 30 seconds, camel.

*dances around*

blue sunrise
03-25-07, 11:32 PM
I've been asked to post hints. I won't say by whom. ;)

It's a word riddle.

You're looking for an answer for all three.

The last line is a little misleading.

camelsmoker
03-25-07, 11:46 PM
The Queen says, "I am notable".
The chair says, "I am no table".
I say, "I am not able".

All in the same sentence? That was the misleading part? Hmm.

blue sunrise
03-25-07, 11:47 PM
I stand in awe of your riddlosity...

Incredible. (how do you say that in French? ;) )

camelsmoker
03-25-07, 11:54 PM
I stand in awe of your riddlosity...

Incredible. (how do you say that in French? ;) )Incroyable.

Cette énigme était incroyablement difficile.

Alostcause
03-26-07, 09:45 PM
^ This enigma is incredibly difficult

camelsmoker
03-26-07, 10:43 PM
^ This enigma is incredibly difficultNot bad, Alostcause. Although, technically, my sentence was written in the imperfect (imparfait) tense, and should be translated as "This enigma (or riddle) was incredibly difficult."

But that wasn't my riddle... :D

This is:

With potent, flowery words speak I,
Of something common, vulgar, dry;
I weave webs of pedantic prose,
In effort to befuddle those,
Who think I wile time away,
In lofty things, above all day
The common kind that linger where
Monadic beings live and fare;
Practical I may not be,
But life, it seems, is full of me!

Alostcause
03-27-07, 02:15 AM
Not bad, Alostcause. Although, technically, my sentence was written in the imperfect (imparfait) tense, and should be translated as "This enigma (or riddle) was incredibly difficult
Whatever... I didn't read it closely enough

blue sunrise
03-27-07, 05:28 PM
With potent, flowery words speak I,
Of something common, vulgar, dry;
I weave webs of pedantic prose,
In effort to befuddle those,
Who think I wile time away,
In lofty things, above all day
The common kind that linger where
Monadic beings live and fare;
Practical I may not be,
But life, it seems, is full of me!
A riddle

What sleeps on water.
Dreams to be heard.
It's full of destiny it does not know?

camelsmoker
03-27-07, 11:36 PM
What sleeps on water.
Dreams to be heard.
It's full of destiny it does not know? What's so funny, anyway? (http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1161556&postcount=365)

Yuk it up... (http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1161750&postcount=366) :p
While looking for a riddle, I stumbled across this fascinating brain teaser:

The three wisest sages in the land were brought before the king to see which of them were worthy to become the king's advisor. After passing many tests of cunning and invention, they were pitted against each other in a final battle of the wits.

Led blind-folded into a small room, the sages were seated around a small wooden table as the king described the test for them.

"Upon each of your heads I have placed a hat. Now you are either wearing a blue hat or a white hat. All I will tell you is this- at least one of you is wearing a blue hat. There may be only one blue hat and two white hats, there may be two blue hats and one white hat, or there may be three blue hats. But you may be certain that there are not three white hats."

"I will shortly remove your blind folds, and the test will begin. The first to correctly announce the colour of his hat shall be my advisor. Be warned however, he who guesses wrongly shall be beheaded. If not one of you answers within the hour, you will be sent home and I will seek elsewhere for wisdom."

With that, the king uncovered the sages' eyes and sat in the corner and waited. One sage looked around and saw that his competitors each were wearing blue hats. From the look in their eyes he could see their thoughts were the same as his, "What is the colour of my hat?"

For what seemed like hours no one spoke. Finally he stood up and said, "The colour of the hat I am wearing is..."

vonnegut
03-28-07, 01:24 AM
Oh god, I've heard this one before and I still can't think of it.

sablegirl
03-28-07, 02:18 AM
half filled with dimes...because the dimes take up less space in the trunk

sablegirl
03-28-07, 02:19 AM
sorry...only got so far in the thread.....DOH!

blue sunrise
03-28-07, 02:23 PM
half filled with dimes...because the dimes take up less space in the trunk

sorry...only got so far in the thread.....DOH!
I've done that before. Don't worry about it. Come back and play! :)

camelsmoker
03-31-07, 12:42 AM
Well, I've been asked to post hints, too. Again, I won't say by whom. ;)

This is not a riddle, but a straightforward brain teaser. To solve it, you'll need no lateral thinking, only deductive reasoning.

camelsmoker
03-31-07, 01:35 AM
All righty, then... another hint.

Consider the two possible scenarios: a) there are exactly two blue hats, and b) there are exactly three blue hats. What do each of the sages see in each of those scenarios? What conclusion would each of the sages draw in each of those scenarios? If you use deductive reasoning, you should arrive at the only possible conclusion, just as our sage did.

blue sunrise
03-31-07, 01:40 AM
I'll deduct YOUR reasoning...
I think I need a whiteboard for this. :banghead:

But I'm still working on it... grrrr.

eta: And I deduce that I'm not a reasonable person. Especially when I'm stumped by a dratted brain teaser.

Noav Sigless
03-31-07, 04:26 AM
If any sage saw 2 white hats, they would immediately know their hat was blue.
If any sage saw 1 white hat and was wearing a white hat, another sage would see 2 white hats and would immediately know his hat was blue.
No sage immediately knew his hat was blue, because no sage saw 2 white hats and no sage saw 1 white hat. All the hats are blue.

camelsmoker
03-31-07, 05:43 PM
Noav's answer is correct. :D

In the first scenario (i.e. there are exactly 2 blue hats), only one of the sages will see two blue hats. He would sit silently. The other two sages, however, would see one blue and one white hat. By virtue of the others' silence, one (or both) of these two sages should quickly come to the conclusion (deductive reasoning) that there is not exactly one blue hat, but two, including the one on his own head.

The only scenario which forces all three to sit in silence is one in which there are three blue hats. The wisest of the sages is obviously the first to reach this, the only logical conclusion.

blue sunrise
03-31-07, 06:36 PM
Oh thank goodness. I can move on with my life... :D

Thank you Noav! I really didn't want to think about sages or blue hats anymore. ;)

Noav Sigless
03-31-07, 11:21 PM
The hardest part was explaining the answer. That was my 5th draft and Camel still had to clarify.

blue sunrise
03-31-07, 11:23 PM
But you solved it! That's all I care about. :D

It's your turn to post one now.

Noav Sigless
04-01-07, 12:47 AM
My brain needs a break after that one, I'll pass.

blue sunrise
04-01-07, 03:56 PM
No problem. I found a new one. :)

A hundred and one
by fifty divide,
And if a cipher
is rightly applied,
The answer is one from nine.

blue sunrise
04-01-07, 06:42 PM
the answer is very amusing....

camelsmoker
04-01-07, 09:09 PM
Got it. :D

Clio

Thanks to bluesy's hint, I narrowed my musings down to the nine Muses of Greek mythology. (The answer is one from nine)

In Roman numerals, one hundred and one is written CI, and if you "divide" that by fifty -- L -- you get CLI. Rightly apply the cipher -- zero, or in this case, O -- and you get CLIO. Voilà. :)

John Charles
04-02-07, 04:45 PM
Got it. :D

Clio

Thanks to bluesy's hint, I narrowed my musings down to the nine Muses of Greek mythology. (The answer is one from nine)

In Roman numerals, one hundred and one is written CI, and if you "divide" that by fifty -- L -- you get CLI. Rightly apply the cipher -- zero, or in this case, O -- and you get CLIO. Voilà. :)
Wow CS! Did you really figure this out on your own? You are either genius or have way too much time on your hands. Impressive either way. When I started this thread, I had no idea we'd reach this level of depth. Great job everyone. Keep them coming.

blue sunrise
05-29-07, 11:54 AM
Riddle :bump:

What others do laterally I do upright.
My namesakes run races but not me, alright?
My cousins are dragons but no lizard I,
I do one thing that men can't so what am I?

Izzi
05-29-07, 12:02 PM
Sea horse?

blue sunrise
05-29-07, 12:06 PM
:yayconfet :clap: Yes!

Now you post a new one.

Izzi
05-29-07, 12:10 PM
I am the tool, for inspiring many. Buy me in the store, for not much more than a penny. Don't overuse me, or my usefulness will go, what am I? Do you know?

blue sunrise
05-30-07, 12:27 PM
I am the tool, for inspiring many. Buy me in the store, for not much more than a penny. Don't overuse me, or my usefulness will go, what am I? Do you know?

a pen

Take the list of words below and arrange them into 3 sentences that all have something in common. Each word is only used once for each time it appears in the list. Punctuation is not an issue in this teaser in the initial placement of words. Only names are capitalized to start with.

DAD, LET, LETS, LEW, MARGE, MISSES, NO, NORAH, ORDERED, ROSES, SEE, SHARON'S, SIMON, TELEGRAM, TELL, WE'LL,

What are the sentences and what do they have in common?

King of Snake
05-30-07, 12:52 PM
I think I know what they are supposed to be, I just haven't looked at it long enough to get the right order

Pallindrome's?

camelsmoker
05-30-07, 01:18 PM
I think I know what they are supposed to be, I just haven't looked at it long enough to get the right order

Pallindrome's?Yep.

As King of Snake suggested, they are palindromes.

No misses ordered roses, Simon.
Marge lets Norah see Sharon's telegram.
We'll let Dad tell Lew.
I liked that one. :)

Let's see if I can find another good one...

King of Snake
05-30-07, 01:26 PM
Damn, I was so close. Nice one Camel. Thanks for putting me out of my misery

camelsmoker
05-30-07, 01:42 PM
Hehe. No problem.

Let's see if this one is as hard as I think it is...

Bill is 35, John is 47, and Mary is 57. How old is Jane?

blue sunrise
05-30-07, 02:01 PM
Hehe. No problem.

I think she's 42.

First I put the names in alphabetical order:
Bill = 35
Jane = ?
John = 47
Mary = 57

Then I took the digits of the ages, added them and subtracted 1 to get the jump to the next person's age:

Bill = 35 +(3+5 -1) = 42
eta: Jane = 42 + (4+2 -1) = 47
John = 47 + (4+7-1) = 57
Mary = 57

:)

SonOfSawyer
05-30-07, 02:06 PM
Hehe. No problem.

Why?
Bill B(2)i(9)l(12)l(12) = 35
John J(10)o(15)h(8)n(14)= 47
Mary M(13)a(1)r(18)y(25)= 57

camelsmoker
05-30-07, 02:14 PM
I think she's 42.

First I put the names in alphabetical order:
Bill = 35
Jane = ?
John = 47
Mary = 57

Then I took the digits of the ages, added them and subtracted 1 to get the jump to the next person's age:

Bill = 35 +(3+5 -1) = 42
eta: Jane = 42 + (4+2 -1) = 47
John = 47 + (4+7-1) = 57
Mary = 57

Well, I have to tell you... that's not the answer I was looking for, but I think yours is more elegant than mine. :D

Anyway, here's mine.

Jane is 30

Assign a numerical value to each letter of the alphabet, e.g. A=1, B=2, C=3, etc.
example:
B + I + L + L = 2 + 9 + 12 + 12 = 35

so, J + A + N + E = 10 + 1 + 14 + 5 = 30

eta: I see SonOfSawyer got the same result as me... :)

blue sunrise
05-30-07, 02:18 PM
Well, I have to tell you... that's not the answer I was looking for, but I think yours is more elegant than mine. :DGracias. :D

Ooohhh... SoS got it! :clap:

John Charles
05-30-07, 02:20 PM

Why?
Bill B(2)i(9)l(12)l(12) = 35
John J(10)o(15)h(8)n(14)= 47
Mary M(13)a(1)r(18)y(25)= 57

That's what I got.

ETA: fast posting here this morning. ;)

blue sunrise
05-30-07, 05:06 PM
It's really Son of Sawyer's turn to post a riddle, but since he's not here... :)

To the bold, I am a weapon;
To the gallant, I am a pin;
To the gracious, I am a service;
To the bridesmaid, I am a win.

To the traitor, I am a bribe;
To the star, I am a screen;
To the swift, I am an arrow;
To the bride, I am a dream.

What am I?

Izzi
05-30-07, 06:34 PM
Silver?

blue sunrise
05-30-07, 10:45 PM
Yes! (and if you don't mind, spoiler your guesses/answers in case someone else is also working on it. Thanks! :) )

OK, you're up, Izzi.

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 07:45 PM
Hope you haven't done this one already:

Move one number in the following equation to make it true:

101 - 102 = 1

Scott
07-30-07, 07:58 PM
That's clever.

Move the 2 upwards?

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:00 PM
That's clever.

Move the 2 upwards?Yup. Which would look something like this . . .

101 - 10^2 = 1

TOO EASY . . . ! ;)

John Charles
07-30-07, 08:03 PM
Excellent! WTG Scott and Scot! Lurved it!

camelsmoker
07-30-07, 08:07 PM
Excellent bump -- excellent thread... who's going to post a new riddle? (I would, but I'm way too drunk at the moment...)

Scott
07-30-07, 08:09 PM
Me me me! Apologies for the purple, I copy and pasted.

The paragraph below is most unusual. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why?

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honour got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby , walking towards that group, saw a youg girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

The above passage is taken from the book "Gatsby" written by Ernest Vincent Wright in the late 1930's

camelsmoker
07-30-07, 08:15 PM
Got it. :p

the most commonly used letter in the English language... the letter "E"... appears exactly... zero times in that paragraph.

And Ernest Vincent Wright's book was about Gadsby, not Gatsby (that would be Fitzgerald) :p

Scott
07-30-07, 08:19 PM
Yup, well done :D And I didn't know what it was taken from, so I really couldn't correct the mistake, lol. You got one to post?

camelsmoker
07-30-07, 08:19 PM
nope, too drunk. :)

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:20 PM
Since camel appears to be imbibed at the moment, I'll post another easy one . . .

A man walks 3 miles north, 9 miles to the west, and 3 miles south. He finishes where he started. Where is he?

camelsmoker
07-30-07, 08:22 PM
Imbibed or no, I can still solve them... just don't ask me to go looking...

the south pole

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:24 PM
Hmm . . .

I suppose that would work.
Three miles south of the North pole.

Scott
07-30-07, 08:27 PM
I wonder if anyone will get this one.

Late one evening, a man and a his wife were driving their car at great speed down a country road. The car spun of the road and hit a tree.

The man decided to seek help at a garage a few miles away.

He made sure nobody was in the car, rolled all the windows up, and locked all of the doors.

When he returned, his wife was dead, and there someone in the car he had never seen before.

No physical damage was done to the car, it was still locked?
How did the woman die?
Where did the stranger come from?

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:29 PM
Too easy! ;)

His wife was pregnant and had died during childbirth inside the car. The stranger was the baby.

Sweet Doo
07-30-07, 08:29 PM
Mom died in childbirth.

ETA: Damn you scotpgot!

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:32 PM
Ok, here's another:

It's the middle ages and you've hired an ironworker to make horseshoes. The ironworker requires one gold bar in total to do the job. The job will take 7 days.

You must pay him every day. If you pay him too much, he will take the extra and run. If you pay him too little, he won't come back.

You have a gold bar that is scored into 7 equal pieces, but you may only cut it twice.

How do you cut the bar?
How do you pay the ironworker?

Scott
07-30-07, 08:32 PM
Well, shucks. Didn't think it was THAT easy. Go ahead, someone else.

Sweet Doo
07-30-07, 08:35 PM
Cut into 3 parts: 1 bit, 2 bits, and 4 bits. The first day give him the 1 bit piece. The second day, take it back and give him the 2 bit piece. The third day give him the 1 bit piece as well. The fourth day take both back and give him the 4 bit piece. The fifth day give him the 1 bit piece as well. The sixth day take the 1 bit piece back and give him the 2 bit piece. The seventh day give him the 1 bit piece, and he'll have the whole bar.

Scott
07-30-07, 08:36 PM
Jeezaz, Doo.

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:37 PM
gj, Doo! Your turn!

Sweet Doo
07-30-07, 08:42 PM
Hope this hasn't been done already, I'll reread tonight.

A man is exploring in the jungle when he finds a temple with 3 diamonds inside. The diamonds are about the size of baseballs, and slightly heavier. To get back to his camp, he has to cross a rope bridge over a river. The river is very wide, too wide to throw the diamonds across. The bridge is also very old, and can only support his weight, plus the weight of two of the diamonds. (He had to leave his pack on the far side of the river when he crossed it the first time.) If he wants to bring all 3 of the diamonds back, how does he do it?

camelsmoker
07-30-07, 08:44 PM
He'd better know how to juggle...

Scott
07-30-07, 08:44 PM
He takes 2 across at first then goes back for the third?

Sweet Doo
07-30-07, 08:47 PM
CS ftw. That would have worked the way I phrased it, Scott, I was doing it from memory.

scotpgot!
07-30-07, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I think you left out some natives or something . . . ;)

scotpgot!
07-31-07, 03:50 PM
You're led into a room with three light switches on the wall. You are told that ONE of the switches controls a bulb in another room. You may switch any of the switches as many times as you want. But you are only allowed ONE trip down the hall to the room where the bulb is.

How do you know which switch is connected to the bulb?

scotpgot!
08-01-07, 05:05 PM
:bump:(for the third and last time) ;)

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 06:26 PM
You're led into a room with three light switches on the wall. You are told that ONE of the switches controls a bulb in another room. You may switch any of the switches as many times as you want. But you are only allowed ONE trip down the hall to the room where the bulb is.

How do you know which switch is connected to the bulb?I posted this one a few months back, and iirc, solat was the first to solve it.

I'm in the middle of making dinner, but I'm looking for a new riddle at the same time... I'll post one soon.

Prender
08-01-07, 06:31 PM
In the meantime CS...I got one...

What row of numbers comes next?

John Charles
08-01-07, 06:31 PM
I've always loved that one cs, probably because it is one of the few I had ever figured out without help.

ETA: working on Prenders conundrum.

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 06:38 PM
In the meantime CS...I got one...

What row of numbers comes next?

13112221Umm...

1113213211? I think I understand the premise. The next line will be...

Is that right?

Still looking for a new riddle...

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 06:56 PM
All right, here's one:

A farmer had a forty-pound stone which he used to weigh feed on a large balance scale. One day, his young son accidentally broke the stone into four pieces. Instead of being angry, the farmer was quite pleased, as he could now use the four pieces to weigh feed on his scale in one-pound increments, from one pound all the way up to forty pounds, using the four pieces.

The four pieces are all different weights. How much does each piece weigh?

Prender
08-01-07, 06:58 PM
Umm...

1113213211? I think I understand the premise. The next line will be...

Is that right?

Yes, the next line is 1113213211.
After that, it would go to 31131211131221 also.

It is simply a mathematical description of the line above, starting with the first line.

11 = there is "(one) 1" in the line above.
21 = there is "(two) one" in the line above.
1211 = there is "(one) 2, (one) 1" in the line above.
111221 = there is "(one) 1, (one) 2, (two) one" in the line above.
etc.

Congrats cs!

John Charles
08-01-07, 07:00 PM
:scratchch

Prender
08-01-07, 07:09 PM
If only it was a 15 pound stone broken into 4 pieces, this would be simple...

You would have stones of 1, 2, 4 and 8 and could measure every increment 1 through 15. I must be overlooking something.

*scribbles fuzzy math formulas like a+b+c+d=40*

scotpgot!
08-01-07, 07:33 PM
don't forget a+b=40-c-d and variations thereof.

Are we to assume one weighing and whole number weights?

scotpgot!
08-01-07, 07:46 PM
My brother got it. He'll send me one to post. ;)

1, 3, 9, 27

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 07:57 PM

Great job, scotpgot. Errr, I mean scotpgot's brother. :p

scotpgot!
08-01-07, 07:57 PM
Ok:

You have two lengths of fuses (like dynamite fuses), each one burns 60 minutes, but inconsistently. For instance, a fuse is not necessarily 1/4 less the length at fifteen minutes.

So, two fuses that last 60 minutes. And a lighter. How do you measure 45 minutes?

scotpgot!
08-01-07, 07:58 PM

Great job, scotpgot. Errr, I mean scotpgot's brother. :p
I definitely helped. :D

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 08:02 PM
Ok:

You have two lengths of fuses (like dynamite fuses), each one burns 60 minutes, but inconsistently. For instance, a fuse is not necessarily 1/4 less the length at fifteen minutes.

So, two fuses that last 60 minutes. And a lighter. How do you measure 45 minutes?I'm guessing (with my inconsistent logic):

Light both ends of one fuse, and one end of the other. When the two lit ends of the first fuse meet, light the other end of the second fuse. When the two ends of the second fuse meet, 45 minutes should have passed.

If I did that right. :p

scotpgot!
08-01-07, 08:03 PM
Exactly right. Smartypants. ;)

King of Snake
08-01-07, 09:09 PM
Damn Le Perf is good. Is there anything he doesn't know?

Cr8tor
08-01-07, 09:21 PM
He doesn't know that Scott and Cluck will turn on him at next TC.

:D

Prender
08-01-07, 09:42 PM
Q: What U.S. State is surrounded by the most water?

King of Snake
08-01-07, 09:42 PM
Hawaii?

Cr8tor
08-01-07, 09:45 PM
Just in case it's not...

Rhode Island

Prender
08-01-07, 09:50 PM
Nope, KoS got it. :)

A lot of people say Florida or Alaska, but I didn't ask which state had the largest coastline. Hawaii is the only state completely surrounded (100%).

Cr8tor
08-01-07, 09:51 PM
:D ...it just seemed to easy for a riddle.

King of Snake
08-01-07, 09:53 PM
Nope, KoS got it. :)

A lot of people say Florida or Alaska, but I didn't ask which state had the largest coastline. Hawaii is the only state completely surrounded (100%).

Ah snap. I totally pwned that question and I'm not even a Yank. I even managed to answer it in the same minute that it was posted.

If I wasn't so cool, I probably give myself a high-five

Cr8tor
08-01-07, 09:57 PM
:highfive: I'll give you a net-five buddy!

Prender
08-01-07, 10:01 PM
:D ...it just seemed to easy for a riddle.

At least I didn't ask: What the only 2 States are that have their name in the name of their capitol city?

Or: How many letters are in the alphabet?

I'm just making up for the next really hard one that gets posted.

Cr8tor
08-01-07, 10:09 PM
At least I didn't ask: What the only 2 States are that have their name in the name of their capitol city?

Or: How many letters are in the alphabet?

I'm just making up for the next really hard one that gets posted.

I would have been looking at more than what you were asking. :D (Roman or Mayan alphabet?...stuff like that)

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 10:10 PM
I'm still looking for some hard puzzles or riddles that haven't been posted here yet.

Indiana (Indianapolis) and Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)

11. T-H-E-A-L-P-H-A-B-E-T

Prender
08-01-07, 10:18 PM
Right and right. Okay, now I can look for something harder too.

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 11:31 PM
This is Martin Gardner's famous "Impossible Puzzle," first printed in his column in Scientific American, in December 1979. Although it isn't impossible, it's pretty darn tough. Good luck.
Two numbers (not necessarily different) are chosen from the range of positive integers greater than 1 and not greater than 20. Only the sum of the two numbers is given to mathematician S. Only the product of the two is given to mathematician P.

On the telephone S says to P: "I see no way you can determine my sum."

An hour later, P calls back to say: "I know your sum."

Later S calls P again to report: "Now I know your product."

What are the two numbers?

King of Snake
08-01-07, 11:32 PM
You lost me at "positive integer"

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 11:38 PM
Integers are whole numbers. No fractions or decimals.

Positive means greater than zero.

King of Snake
08-01-07, 11:40 PM
Integers are whole numbers. No fractions or decimals.

Positive means greater than zero.

Oh yeah.

And "product"?

camelsmoker
08-01-07, 11:42 PM
Sum is the result of addition.

Product is the result of multiplication. Where X*Y = Z, Z is the product.