MyMedia-Forum.com

MyMedia-Forum.com (http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   LOST Theories (http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   + Oscillating Time Theory (http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52914)

wailingwarhol 09-04-08 01:07 AM

+ Oscillating Time Theory

Here's my revised version of my oscillating time theory.

perception of time or even time itself on the island is different compared to the rest of the world, which we already know.

my theory is that once on the island, the time oscillates between the future and the past. an example of this is that the payload Daniel Faraday orders over the walkie talkie to the Freighter arrives much later than is expected, and i think this is because the island at that moment is in the past. and when 'the doctor' is washed up ashore, and the losties communicate with the Freighter to realize the doctor is still alive, and is only in a later scene killed, i think at that point the island is experiences the future.

so what i basically purpose is that time shifts gradually from the past and into the future and then back to the past and then to the future again, and this keeps occurring over and over again.

the losties don't experience the shifts in time is because, like Daniel Faraday mentions to Desmond in The Constant, it's only the consciousness that experiences the future and the past, and in relation to the losties, i think they don't experience it because it's an unconscious shift, and so they don't consciously experience these oscillations of time on the island.

because time isn't linear on the island, unlike the rest of the world, and time is oscillating between the future and the past and so time isn't actually moving forward, i think that the only circumstance one can leave the island is when the oscillation of time is in the present, and so this may explain why you hear Ben and other people say 'the island isn't ready to let you leave'.

as for the visions experienced by certain Losties, most notably Locke, i think this is because as the mind is perpetually transported into the future and the past unconsciously, this often breaks into the consciousness and so visions are experienced of other characters, because all the Losties experience this shift in time from the future to the past and then back to the future, it maybe the reason why a vision of any character is seen.

this brings me onto tp the 'special' people, like Locke. we hear Locke say 'it's not suppose to happen this way' or 'you're not suppose to leave'. i think he says this because i think when Locke's mind experiences the future, he's able realize it, almost like an instinct, and so he can tell when things aren't going right.

Note, that most, if not all visions of the future experienced by the Losties occur when they're sleeping, and then the wake up, in other words, they are unconscious........just like Faraday's rat. as for visions of dead people like Libby and Walt and Christian, they are experienced when the Losties are conscious and i assume those are of the past.

my theory also explains dead people on the island and how they appear to various people on the island. because by dying on the island, the mind can still be shifted with the oscillations to the past, and so 'dead' turns into a relative term, and so the dead people are able to appear to other Losties when the island's time is oscillating in the past.

as for Desmond's future prediction and being transported into the past, i think this is primarily due to when he hatch imploded. by being exposed to large amounts of electromagnetic radiation, it is well known that such exposure can hinder our ability to suppress higher sensory function aka the unconscious. and if this is so, this gives Desmond the ability to experience the future and also the past as the mind oscillated between the future and the past.

the oscillation theory also explains the islands healing properties, because if you have some sort of a wound or disease, and the island is experiencing the future oscillation, then your body naturally produces more antibodies or platelets for clotting because it takes time for this to happen anyway , and seen as though healing is an unconscious process anyway, your mind is able to respond to the fact that it's experiencing the future (because to the mind, it's just as if time has passed normally).

the women dying in the second trimester of pregnancy is explained by the fact that the brain develops rapidly in the second trimester, now if it starts experiencing the future, then the baby in theory has it's own antibodies and so on, and is therefore unrecognized by whomever's pregnant and so the woman's body rejects and attacks the fetus as a foreign invader and annihilates the mothers immune system in the process leading to death?

i think that the island itself is a large electromagnet, or various large electromagnets are placed on the island and so this produces with some kind of a magnet or something, distortions in space and time.
it may also explain why bearings of 305/325 is the only way out, because electromagnets have magnetic fields, and a ship is largely metal, then the ship can't escape the island because it's naturally attracted to it. but if you go look at a diagram of a magnetic field, there are points where if a straight line were to be drawn, it wouldn't interfere with the magnetic field and so a ship or a boat or whatever on a bearing of 305/325 won't be affected by the magnetic field produced by the island.

sandi 09-04-08 01:43 AM

Re: Oscillating Time Theory

Welcome to LOST T&S wailingwarhol. :)

Interesting theory you have here. I'll have to think about it some more, but I'm not sure I understand something.

You say that (for example), Michael's mind is oscillating to the past, that's why he can see dead Libby -- now how does dead Libby know what's going on in the future so she can interact with Michael?

wailingwarhol 09-04-08 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayseason1 (Post 2341348)
Welcome to LOST T&S wailingwarhol. :)

Interesting theory you have here. I'll have to think about it some more, but I'm not sure I understand something.

You say that (for example), Michael's mind is oscillating to the past, that's why he can see dead Libby -- now how does dead Libby know what's going on in the future so she can interact with Michael?

hi.

i think that if the island is experiencing the past (as in it's in the 'past' part of oscillation), then Libby was still alive, and so dead becomes a relative term.

hi by the way. this was my first post. i'm posting my theory on boards so people critique it and find holes in the theory so i can have a better grasp at where i'm wrong and modify it.

sandi 09-04-08 03:03 AM

Quote:

hi by the way. this was my first post. i'm posting my theory on boards so people critique it and find holes in the theory so i can have a better grasp at where i'm wrong and modify it.
As it should be.

IMO, that's part of the theory process and the right approach.

Give our members some time to think about what you have suggested and I'm sure they'll have some questions.

As far as Libby in the past -- how would she know what future Michael was up to?

Jane 09-04-08 11:28 PM

with an oscillating time frame, alpert's apparent agelessness becomes easily explained. when the island oscillates to the past, he steps off, and then waits for it to return. on the island, months or even years have passed, but to richard it's probably just a day or two. no wonder he can't remember birthdays.

treesong 09-11-08 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wailingwarhol (Post 2341304)
I think that the island itself is a large electromagnet, or various large electromagnets are placed on the island and so this produces with some kind of a magnet or something, distortions in space and time.
It may also explain why bearings of 305/325 is the only way out, because electromagnets have magnetic fields, and a ship is largely metal, then the ship can't escape the island because it's naturally attracted to it. But if you go look at a diagram of a magnetic field, there are points where if a straight line were to be drawn, it wouldn't interfere with the magnetic field and so a ship or a boat or whatever on a bearing of 305/325 won't be affected by the magnetic field produced by the island.

This reminds me of something I thought of a while back, but forgot about when we learned about the exotic matter. I think.

The Earth's magnetic field is in constant motion, and induces electric currents. Normally, that happens high in the air with ionized molecules, and we don't notice it much on the ground where the magnetic field is more or less stable.

On the island, however, we have a stack of negatively charged exotic matter, so there is an electric field perpendicular to the magnetic one. The exotic matter moves, from island-East to island-West. As we have seen, the exotic matter also has some temporal qualities, so I assume that that movement generates a temporal field. I don't know how that is oriented, but it wouldn't surprise me if it overlaps with the island's magnetic field. Of course, matter can't move endlessly to one side, so I guess, or hope, that it goes deep underground near the West, the Temple, and comes up again near the East, the Door.

The current theory for the Earth's magnetic field is that it is some kind of Dynamo effect. Electrons in the core move, causing a magnetic field, causing electrons to move, &c, and somewhere there is a balance. The island works the same way, and keeps itself oriented at an angle of 325 degrees. After the discharge, all the fields changed, and a new balance was found at 305 degrees.
ETA: That 325/305 story may not quite work, as Michael left after the Purple Sky event. It depends on how long finding this new balance takes, and what exactly happened during Michael's trip. We know that his adventures in New York took place in a nearly impossible short time, so some time discrepancy due to a changing field would be helpful.
I think this explains better why Desmond's sail boat ran around in circles than just a magnetic field. It would also explain why time and distances are so out of whack on the island. Depending on your place and direction, time flows differently, but as long as you end up where you started, you wouldn't notice much. Only one-way journeys, or arrival on, and departure from, the island show weird time effects.

Regarding the oscilloscope effect you mention, I wouldn't know --in theory a temporal field would exist in all directions. I don't think it explains the visions very well. Yemi when Eko was killed, Christian, &c, they seem to fit too well with present events to have been seeping in from the past or the future. And we know of no past where either of them was alive on the island.

jaystao 09-13-08 10:22 AM

This reminds me of the description of time travel as detailed in the "The Time Traveler" by H.G wells. The idea was that the time machine oscilates in between existance so fast that it is not detected by any 'present' matter, thus if it were sent into the future it is flipping between dimensions similar to a humming bee - that we don't see its wings.

In your theory it is flipping between past and future. I don't know if it is doing this 'all the time' in an oscilating way but perhaps it can extend itself into various stages of the past and present as you suggest - as Ben was transported a year or so into the future.

Hmmmmm....

LostViking 09-16-08 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treesong (Post 2354586)
the exotic matter.

Hi treesong. Do you think that the island's 'negative exotic matter' could be creating a gravitational force? I have read that a gravitational force can and does bend time (although only in very small amounts) and light. I suppose any strong magnetic force can produce a gravitational force, but I can't fathom why it doesn't also affect matter.

treesong 09-16-08 01:15 PM

Hi dweisspt. No, I don't think so, at least not more so than anything else with mass does. The gravitational force is directly related to mass and it bends space-time. Photons --light, magnetic force, &c-- are massless, and not directly influenced by the gravitational force. Instead, they follow a straight line through curved space-time, and that is why a lot of mass appears to bend their paths. Nor do they produce a gravitational force.

So, the radio message from the beach to the freighter in the past, when the dead doctor showed up, indicates space-time bending. The gravitational force, however is too weak. An experiment showed time discrepancies in the order of nanoseconds when planes flew high around the earth. For the effects we have seen, the island wouldn't be difficult to find at all. The rest of the world would be sucked right into it. And, in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether it's actual mass, or some exotic matter that produces the gravitational force: the effects would be as if it were actual mass.

On the other hand, we do see effects similar to that of a gravitational field. Not only the space-time bending, but also the ease with which Juliet fought off Kate's attack when she brought the food. As if she was more used to this field.

Daniel's notebook contained the notion of a Temporal Well, and I suspect that TPTB have taken the concept of gravitation (space/mass oriented) to some temporal field (time/change oriented). In a fixed timeline, from somewhere in the past to the present, for example, temporal energy would then be needed to change anything. As this is pseudo-science, a temporal field might very well have greater effects on space-time bending than gravitation. And it might cause the weird distance/time issues on the island, without affecting matter in any other sensible way.

If you're interested, I've made long rambling posts about temporal stuff starting here.