Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Archives > Lostaways > The NFL thread

Old 02-28-09, 03:42 PM   #4981
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.
Re: The NFL thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
Chad Johnson is still under contract , I think.
There's been chatter on ESPN, which of course could just be those lunkheads shooting their mouths off for the sole purpose of making noise as they have been known to do. But OchoStinko has never been one to check his mouth when there's a camera in his face and when someone asked him if he was happy in Cincy, after last season's mess of course any competative player isn't going to be, and he expressed his dissatisfaction...how much of that was ESPN blowing things out of proportion, hard to say, but they also reported that the management are getting tired of his antics in the face of his declining numbers (hey...if you don't have a QB who can get the ball to him...just saying).

IF he really wants out and IF they are really tired of him, even then I have a hard time seeing them trading him without putting forth a great deal of effort into healing any rift which might exist between them in light of the loss of Housh to free agency.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-09, 04:17 PM   #4982
SpidermanHouston
Kidnapped by the Others
Sees Walt

I'm glad Haynesworth is now in the NFC. He gave the Texans trouble twice a year. Now he can beat the Cowboys twice a year.
Old 02-28-09, 08:00 PM   #4983
soup
Holds Darlton Under..Forever
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sawyer View Post
The loss of Vrabel from NE is heartbreaking. Any Chiefs fan who doesn't think they made a steal is in for a huge surprise, though it shouldn't surprise anyone. It only surprises me that Bill would trade him, for a crummy unspecific pick. We need defense and so far we gave up a steady, super-dependable linebacker for an unknown quantity. Vrabel at 33 was far from washed-up.

So the Patriots day ends with the loss of Vrabel and the reasonably consistent number three receiver Jabar Gaffney, while adding old but still-viable Fred Taylor and the decent tight end from NY, Chris Baker. No cornerback move at all. I put the first day of free agency in the minus column for New England, sadly.
I guess the addition of Cassel to the deal bums you out more?

This is a great deal for the Pats. They need to get younger at LB, and Vrabel was the only older guy with value. Think about it, the Pats parlayed a 33 yr. old LB and a 7th rd./backup QB for a HIGH second rd. pick.

I loved Vrabel, too. He's going to be a head Coach someday. The Pats realize it's time to retool.

I would not underestimate the Baker signing. It frees Watson up, like when they had Dan Graham.

Gaffney? The system made him, not vice versa. Quick, name one former Pats WR since Brady who has left and actually equalled his output with another team. You can't, it doesn't exist. Branch-nothing, givens-less than nothing, Patten-OK, but not as good, Stallworth- you get the point. We'll pick up someone and plug them in just fine, it's only a #3 reveiver.
Old 02-28-09, 09:39 PM   #4984
SpidermanHouston
Kidnapped by the Others
Sees Walt

The Patriots were ripped off by only getting a second round pick. Who cares if Cassel was a seventh round pick. Tom Brady was a sixth round pick. They could have gotten more.

The Texans signed NFC champion defensive end, Antonio Smith. He should play opposite of Mario Williams. Still looking for a backup QB since they traded Sage to minnesota for a fourth round pick.
Old 02-28-09, 10:56 PM   #4985
soup
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidermanHouston View Post
The Patriots were ripped off by only getting a second round pick. Who cares if Cassel was a seventh round pick. Tom Brady was a sixth round pick. They could have gotten more.
I'm sure they shopped him, considered all offers, and took the best one going. I think to say they got "ripped off" is an overstatement. You don't see a lot of people getting second round picks, even the 2nd or 3rd pick of that round, for a backup QB. I think they got great value. Cassel is no Brady. He had a nice year, but the stink during last year's training camp was that he may not even make the team. The Pats liked Kevin O'Connell from SD St. a lot. It will be interesting to see how Cassel handles playing on a team that where he is not surrounded by players who are used to winning Super Bowls.

I guess they should've held out for Tony Gonzalez?
Old 02-28-09, 11:46 PM   #4986
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
I guess the addition of Cassel to the deal bums you out more?

This is a great deal for the Pats. They need to get younger at LB, and Vrabel was the only older guy with value. Think about it, the Pats parlayed a 33 yr. old LB and a 7th rd./backup QB for a HIGH second rd. pick.

I loved Vrabel, too. He's going to be a head Coach someday. The Pats realize it's time to retool.

I would not underestimate the Baker signing. It frees Watson up, like when they had Dan Graham.

Gaffney? The system made him, not vice versa. Quick, name one former Pats WR since Brady who has left and actually equalled his output with another team. You can't, it doesn't exist. Branch-nothing, givens-less than nothing, Patten-OK, but not as good, Stallworth- you get the point. We'll pick up someone and plug them in just fine, it's only a #3 reveiver.
I'll grant you Gaffney, soup, but honestly, you are an extraordinary optimist to call this a great deal for the Pats. The one thing we got out of last season was trade bait for this season, and we gave it away! CASSEL and VRABEL for pick # 34????? Is Scott Pioli really smarter than Bill Belichick?

I'm reeling, really. I never doubt the Patriots, but this is devastating. We don't need to rebuild quite this much. If we're going to dump salaries, we should be out signing, and the Pats haven't gone after any major names with intensity yet.

Sorry, but Pats Nation is miserable today.
Old 03-01-09, 12:10 AM   #4987
soup
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
I'll grant you Gaffney, soup, but honestly, you are an extraordinary optimist to call this a great deal for the Pats. The one thing we got out of last season was trade bait for this season, and we gave it away! CASSEL and VRABEL for pick # 34????? Is Scott Pioli really smarter than Bill Belichick?

I'm reeling, really. I never doubt the Patriots, but this is devastating. We don't need to rebuild quite this much. If we're going to dump salaries, we should be out signing, and the Pats haven't gone after any major names with intensity yet.

One thing I do know is that teams that spend a ton of money in FA's don't tend to win the following year. When's the last time the Redskins were actually a threat to win the Super Bowl with Snyder spending billions?

Pick #34 is high value. What exactly did you expect for Cassel? A first round pick? Don't you think if the Pats could have gotten a better pick, they would have?

They do need to retool, especially at LB. They were way too old and slow. Bruschi has no value outside NE (sad to say) and hasn't been the same the last couple years. Mayo is ready to bust out, AD is coming back, I say the Pats draft some more defense help and pluck some more vets like Taylor for supporting roles.
Noone was trading us a 1st Round pick for Cassel, that's a fact. We tend to get sentimental toward our championship heroes and hang on to the memory too long (ala the Celts of the eighties).

We don't need major names with intensity, because we have a solid core on D. We need to keep improving LB and CB, maybe O-line, too. You'll see, this won't flesh out until the season, but, unless they pull a Chad Jackson fiasco again, this will be a nice move. What is the proof that Cassel will even be that great in KC? Remember the league has a long history of teams trading for fledgeling backups who we think are on the verge (Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub) who don't always pan out.
Old 03-01-09, 12:32 AM   #4988
Tater
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via Yahoo to Tater Send a message via Skype™ to Tater

Quote:
Pats Nation is miserable today.
Music to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
Remember the league has a long history of teams trading for fledgeling backups who we think are on the verge (Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub) who don't always pan out.
Say what you will about Rob Johnson but ya can't take that Super Bowl ring off his finger.
Tater is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-09, 02:07 AM   #4989
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Say what you will about Rob Johnson but ya can't take that Super Bowl ring off his finger.
He'd have ended up with another if Wade Phillips had played Doug Flutie INSTEAD of big, bumbling Rob in the "Music City Miracle" wild-card game...a travesty I still can't forget.
Old 03-01-09, 05:57 PM   #4990
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Music to my ears.

Oh yeah & my team got a ring this year.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Share with Facebook

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Archives > Lostaways »