Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Music > Music General Discussion > Rock's Greatest Front Man

Music General Discussion Love music? Discuss anything and everything related to music here.

Old 11-23-17, 08:33 AM   #11
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Rock's Greatest Front Man

Nikki kind of takes a little bit of that front space away from Neil for the Cre.

I saw Primus once and i thought Claypool was very entertaining, but maybe it was just a good night for him, he's been slammed for being a terrible frontman by a lot of people. Shit there was almost a riot the time i saw them. But as for Primus as a whole, they released their 9th studio album earlier this year and embarked on their 30th concert tour. They've had two albums go platinum and one gold, and pulled down two Grammy nominations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-17, 08:37 AM   #12
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Nikki kind of takes a little bit of that front space away from Neil for the Cre.

I saw Primus once and i thought Claypool was very entertaining, but maybe it was just a good night for him, he's been slammed for being a terrible frontman by a lot of people. Shit there was almost a riot the time i saw them. But as for Primus as a whole, they released their 9th studio album earlier this year and embarked on their 30th concert tour. They've had two albums go platinum and one gold, and pulled down two Grammy nominations.
I'm not a fan of that slap bass myself and he isn't quite rock in my book. I don't even know what their music qualifies as.

As far as taking away from the front man, I kind of think front man for a band is different than leader singer of a solo project. And many singers on my list for instance had iconic guitarists to contend with.

Last edited by FrodoFraggins; 11-23-17 at 08:39 AM.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-17, 02:56 PM   #13
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

Saw Halen in 84. DLR in his prime was unlike no one. Not a big fan of either the band or Roth himself but that guy put on show.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-17, 04:26 PM   #14
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
I guess the following can all make a case to somebody

Chuck Berry
Elvis
Paul McCartney
Roger Daltrey
Mick Jagger
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Robert Plant
David Bowie
Ozzie Osborne
Freddie Mercury
David Lee Roth
Bruce Springsteen
Steve Perry
Bono
Prince
Axl Rose
Curt Cobain
Eddie Vedder
Chris Cornell
Thom Yorke
Klaus Meine
Rob Halford
Ian Anderson, probably ahead of a lot of those guys for showmanship ability.
David Coverdale
Dennis DeYoung ("Tonight's the night we'll make history...honey you and I..." TOTAL showman, but those red slacks and suspenders were ugly with a capitol retch.)
Paul Rogers is a great vocalist but I don't know if he's really a great frontman.
Steve Marriott

Just went looking for a good clip of Humble Pie that really shows of Steve Marriott. Most people who know him at all remember him best from the mid-sixties mod-pop group Small Faces and their hit "itchycoo Park". Humble Pie was the band he formed after leaving Small Faces, their most remembered song is "30 Days in a Hole" but I could not find a good live version of that on Youtube. He's a song called "Rolling Stone", shot in a small TV studio. Marriott goes all out just in front of cameramen, imagine him in front of a packed house. One more thing...the guy playing the black Les Paul is Peter Frampton.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-17, 04:37 PM   #15
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

true...front man is a pretty broad term....maybe subcategories Hodge? best clown, best poser, best at pumping up the audience, best at getting people to sing along, best dancer....

Little dog David, I must look like a fool.
I should've remembered you'd be forgetting my smell, well.
Give me a week or two to recapture my cool, I've got stories to tell
about how I snatched the devil's catch and out ran the hounds of hell.
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-17, 02:20 AM   #16
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Best poser...Jani Lane is a shoe-in.

Old 11-24-17, 10:53 PM   #17
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

ZoW, I didn't want to put any parameters on the category. It's what everyone considers a "front-man".

FF mentioned DLR, and I saw them and he was energy personified.

Like Mr Mo, I saw Axl and the word "cool" fits him to a tee. As a matter of fact, they're going to be here at the Forum tomorrow night. Not the biggest "Hard Rock" fan, but they maybe the only band I'd pay to see again.

I'm also not the biggest Daltry fan. I'd probably get hypnotized with him spinning that mic around his head.
Old 11-24-17, 11:06 PM   #18
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

ah gotcha. i can't pick just one, there are several already mentioned I'd include (def DLR, I even bought a few of his solo albums and they are excellent too IMO.)

Little dog David, I must look like a fool.
I should've remembered you'd be forgetting my smell, well.
Give me a week or two to recapture my cool, I've got stories to tell
about how I snatched the devil's catch and out ran the hounds of hell.
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-17, 03:07 AM   #19
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post

I'm also not the biggest Daltry fan. I'd probably get hypnotized with him spinning that mic around his head.
Heresy!!!

Of course he actually has spent a fair amount of time in front of the camera. You probably remember him in Highlander in the recurring role of Duncan's immortal pal Hugh Fitzcairn in several flashbacks from the 17th and 18th Centuries. He caught the acting bug while playing the title role in the band's bombastic cinematic adaptation of their grand rock opera Tommy and after further attempts at lead roles, in Lisztomania and McVicar bombed he did supporting roles as his commitments to The Who allowed up until the mid-Aughts.

Some notes on Tommy: In order to film the movie the band first delayed then permanently shelved work on another grand rock opera. This was to be a post-apocalyptic themed tale of a man who does not fit in with a surviving community, somewhere on the Western US, and leaves on his own. It had the working title Lifehouse. The problem developed at the end of shooting Tommy that the band were plain sick of one another, refused to go back into the recording studio, especially after Pete, who had the punching power of an 8 year old girl, took a swing at Roger and got knocked flat for his reward. Ox, who was more used to playing peacemaker between Roger and Moonie, backed Roger off, told him to go home, announced that the band was done for the day. Tow months later, with no further work done on the project and a deadline nearing for an album from the record company, the song already done were compiled, along with a song by Ox not originally intended for Lifehouse but recorded anyway, mastered, and released as Who's Next.

Old 11-25-17, 09:44 PM   #20
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat View Post
Heresy!!!

Of course he actually has spent a fair amount of time in front of the camera. You probably remember him in Highlander in the recurring role of Duncan's immortal pal Hugh Fitzcairn in several flashbacks from the 17th and 18th Centuries. He caught the acting bug while playing the title role in the band's bombastic cinematic adaptation of their grand rock opera Tommy and after further attempts at lead roles, in Lisztomania and McVicar bombed he did supporting roles as his commitments to The Who allowed up until the mid-Aughts...
Tommy, one of the greatest albums of all time.

I love albums with "one" general theme. Pink Floyd's The Wall, The Beatles Sargent Peppers, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, are others.