Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/super legit maths forum

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 09-26-17, 03:16 AM   #8261
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: What's New/The Postman Always Emails Once

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdmom View Post
Totally not true, especially the part about girls hating math. A great teacher like vonne will get kids interested in anything. And sixth graders can be a lot of fun to teach - just don't plan on standing up in front of the class and droning a la "Bueller, Bueller".

Vonne - congratulations! It will be a challenging year, but really, it's only eight months and you can do anything for eight months.

I agree.. many kids actually love math. Mine do.. they like it a lot more than some of interpretation things they are doing in language arts. They like that there are rules, and right and wrong with little ambiguity.

Plus a great math teacher can make kids love math, and a bad one can ruin it for them forever making them hate it. I think vonne can get them into it, even if it’s not her first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 03:24 AM   #8262
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Okay, but I was talking about country hick kids out in the boonies and their desire to learn algebra. Your kids are practically part of the 1%, of course they’d be over-achievers and interested in academia.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 03:58 AM   #8263
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Kids generally hate math, girls especially, and their attention spans are awful in the 6th grade. I don’t think you’ll have a tough decision what to do next year...and DON’T let being best friends with whoever’s husband or whatever influence anything you do. Sad!
Quote:
Okay, but I was talking about country hick kids out in the boonies and their desire to learn algebra. Your kids are practically part of the 1%, of course they’d be over-achievers and interested in academia.
Really I think 6th graders will be easier than the 7th graders I taught last year. At least I won't have half a room of girls who are all experiencing PMS for the very first time.

And, I'm fine with the hicks. I know where they are coming from... it's where I came from. Seriously this is like two counties up from where I grew up, and I think being familiar with it helps.

Quote:
I really think you’re too intellectual for anything but 11th or 12th grade, tbh. When students are old enough to grasp interesting concepts and you can bounce ideas off of them and learn from each other. You seem like someone who will teach best and most efficiently with an interested classroom, so ideally a college professor on something you love. You should aim for that.
I want to teach high school history. That is the ultimate goal. I'll get there at some point.

But, in the meantime, a paycheck is a paycheck, and I'm still doing what I like to do-- teaching stuff to kids. I've tutored math before, and even though it's not my passion-subject and I will miss that, you still get the same high... that click. Knowing that someone really just didn't understand something, and you finally found the perfect way to help them understand it, and now they get it. It's like finishing a jigsaw puzzle, you get the same rush, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
... even I can use a crockpot and I'm fairly certain that I would qualify for that show Worst Cooks in America. I think maybe you are overthinking the crockpot.
I'm definitely overthinking the crockpot.

But I was also using too much liquid.
The pork didn't turn out bad. Could have been better. I should have been less stingy with the spices. I think roasting in the oven, you need less spices than in a crockpot.
I also would have thrown some onion and fresh garlic in there, if I'd had it in my kitchen, but I sorely am in need of a trip to the store (the aforementioned NEED A PAYCHECK).

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 03:59 AM   #8264
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Mattie, I sincerely appreciate the compliment towards my kids, but I must say this.

Country hick kids are not ignorant. They are just as capable as any other put in the right environment.

I come from the environment these kids are in.. my dad was the son of a cotton sharecropper. He had a 8th grade education before going to work to support his family. He grew up in a shack with a dirt floor. He is however an incredibly wise man. I think the same can be said of these kids Vonne will be teaching. Give them education... teach them the importance of it and to love learning, and they can rise above their humble surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 12:16 PM   #8265
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotpgot View Post
Came home from work with some stomach issues. I'm either deathly ill or in love.

(HINT: I'm not in love.)
Oh no Are you feeling better today?

Quote:
Got it. Making a Walmart run for Pepto-Bismol, brb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdmom View Post
Totally not true, especially the part about girls hating math. A great teacher like vonne will get kids interested in anything. And sixth graders can be a lot of fun to teach - just don't plan on standing up in front of the class and droning a la "Bueller, Bueller".

Vonne - congratulations! It will be a challenging year, but really, it's only eight months and you can do anything for eight months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
... even I can use a crockpot and I'm fairly certain that I would qualify for that show Worst Cooks in America. I think maybe you are overthinking the crockpot.
There's a show called Worst Cooks in America? hmmm....

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 02:24 PM   #8266
Mattie
Cons the Conman

^ apply immediately! I mean, what do they win? It isn’t often you can win something for being the worst at it.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 04:06 PM   #8267
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Right? I'm gonna be a star!

Old 09-26-17, 04:10 PM   #8268
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

I start teaching a new writing class tonight. I wish I had a few days to sort of ease back into my routine first.

And I only have 2 people signed up this time which is small, but I said I'd do it. I still get paid. but if only one shows up, class is going to be really lame.

Old 09-26-17, 04:30 PM   #8269
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

If only one shows up, just take them to the bar and talk about writing over drinks.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 04:36 PM   #8270
scotpgot
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via AIM to scotpgot Send a message via MSN to scotpgot Send a message via Yahoo to scotpgot Send a message via Skype™ to scotpgot

Just like Hemingway used to do.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »