Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Orville - Fox Thursday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-25-17, 09:35 PM   #71
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Re: The Orville - Fox Sunday

ZoW - back to watching old Red Dwarf episodes

Little dog David, I must look like a fool.
I should've remembered you'd be forgetting my smell, well.
Give me a week or two to recapture my cool, I've got stories to tell
about how I snatched the devil's catch and out ran the hounds of hell.
Zaphod of Whiskers is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 10:00 PM   #72
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
The Orville is no more infringing than Galaxy Quest was. Meaning they are both parodies and protected.

The fan film used Trek uniforms, insignias, characters and locations among other things. They also used Star Trek in their name.

The people that collected millions for the fan film basically ruined it for all of the other fan content creators. The project was huge and was designed to make them money. They got the attention of paramount and now other fan projects suffer as well. some are shutting down due to the time limits and not being able to carry stories over(otherwise fan creators could just release full films in small chunks.)
Galaxy Quest was pretty respectful of the source material. As a parody or nod or whatever, The Orville shows a total lack of respect by airing at the same time as Discovery. Yes they may be legally protected, but they are also profiting off the ST franchise.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 12:30 AM   #73
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Galaxy Quest was pretty respectful of the source material. As a parody or nod or whatever, The Orville shows a total lack of respect by airing at the same time as Discovery. Yes they may be legally protected, but they are also profiting off the ST franchise.

I don't see the point in holding anything against the Orville or Weird Al or SpaceBalls or Airplane.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 03:23 AM   #74
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

I am bothered by the lack of respect from the creators of The Orville and the network that airs it.

They totally lack respect for people’s sense of humor and intelligence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 05:58 AM   #75
Rocky Raccoon
In Between 'Verses
Hears the Whispers

Quote:
The Orville is no more infringing than Galaxy Quest was. Meaning they are both parodies and protected.

The fan film used Trek uniforms, insignias, characters and locations among other things. They also used Star Trek in their name.

The people that collected millions for the fan film basically ruined it for all of the other fan content creators. The project was huge and was designed to make them money. They got the attention of paramount and now other fan projects suffer as well. some are shutting down due to the time limits and not being able to carry stories over(otherwise fan creators could just release full films in small chunks.)
So this is how fandom participation ends. With thunderous lack of foresight.
Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 09:55 PM   #76
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

Still waiting for "Woof" to show up...

yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 11:10 PM   #77
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

For this episode I'd like to quote Josh from West Wing: They forgot to bring the funny.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 11:14 PM   #78
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

TOS had humor but it was well mixed in so you didn't see it. Orville smacks you in the face with it, a la McFarlane style.

Little dog David, I must look like a fool.
I should've remembered you'd be forgetting my smell, well.
Give me a week or two to recapture my cool, I've got stories to tell
about how I snatched the devil's catch and out ran the hounds of hell.
Zaphod of Whiskers is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 11:16 PM   #79
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I recently watched a video explaining why last season of South Park didn't work. They discussed how they try to avoid writing things such as:

x happened and y happened and z happened

and instead try to write it such that x happened which led to y happening which led to z happening

In the first example you could rearrange x,y and z any way you want in the story as they don't define what happens next. That seems to be what Seth Mcfarlane does a lot in his comedies. Which may be partly why I generally don't appreciate his humor most of the time.

I assume it's not that bad on the Orville but I have a hard time believing he hasn't abandoned that lazy style of writing.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-17, 10:42 AM   #80
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Quote:
I recently watched a video explaining why last season of South Park didn't work. They discussed how they try to avoid writing things such as:

x happened and y happened and z happened

and instead try to write it such that x happened which led to y happening which led to z happening

In the first example you could rearrange x,y and z any way you want in the story as they don't define what happens next. That seems to be what Seth Mcfarlane does a lot in his comedies. Which may be partly why I generally don't appreciate his humor most of the time.

I assume it's not that bad on the Orville but I have a hard time believing he hasn't abandoned that lazy style of writing.
For a writer like MacFarlane, whose strength is creating situations for his characters, the trap which you call "lazy writing" is almost inevitable. Illustration....Imaginary South Park episode, since you went there Parker and Stone come up with the standard three really funny character scenes. Scene A has Eric being chased by a moose and 20 Canadian ninjas. Don't ask... Scene B has Stan dressing Butters up like Patrick Roy and trying to convince the whole school that the Av's HoF keeper really is moving to town. This falls apart before Butters even puts on the too-large costume because none of the kids know that Roy is pronounced like rWA because it's French, but Stan and Butters don't know the jig is up and come out looking like idiots...Scene C has The Coon making his nocturnal rounds. Amazingly, there is absolutely NOBODY out on the streets...besides The Coon. So why does he smell freshly baked pizza in some places and burgers in others? Nothing is open. He can't solve the mystery and he's getting hungry so he goes home, but the streets of South Park appear to be safe for this night. As he walks home we see two S.P.P.D officers in an unmarked electric car watching him through binoculars from about two blocks away, eating pizza and burgers, one telling the other "I told you not to get upwind of him."

Now...connect those three scenes together into a workable story. Parker and Stone could do it because that is the nature of their collaboration. It just got strained in the final season. Groening did things differently in both The Simpsons and Futurama. He set up the characters, situations, the whole dynamic for both shows, then hired creative people to make them the way he wanted them made with himself as Creative Consultant. MacFarlane, not so well.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »