Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Bull - CBS Tuesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-20-16, 07:09 PM   #1
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Bull - CBS Tuesday

Bull
Premieres Tonight
S01E01, "The Necklace"
Tuesday - September 20, 2016
9/8c - CBS

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"Dr. Jason Bull (Michael Weatherly), the brilliant, brash founder of a prolific trial consulting firm, combines psychology, human intuition and high tech data to create winning strategies that steer high-stakes trials in his clients' favor, on the series premiere." Source
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-16, 09:48 PM   #2
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Re: Bull - CBS Tuesday -- Premieres Tonight! 09/20/16

while I do like Mr Weatherly, I do not think he has quite enough in his chops to carry a show. As part of a team, sure, but this doesn't really look like a team type drama.

Should have taken warning, it's just
People ignoring
Running, hiding, lost
You can't find, find a place to go, so it's
Red skies at night
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-16, 10:18 PM   #3
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
while I do like Mr Weatherly, I do not think he has quite enough in his chops to carry a show. As part of a team, sure, but this doesn't really look like a team type drama.
Oh, I disagree. I think he'll carry the show just fine. And I'm really looking forward to this show. I've been fascinated with the jury selection side of the trial every since I saw "Runaway Jury". I had no idea of the extent of what either side will do when trying to get the jury seated with people that will decide in their favor.

Formerly known as clayseason1
Old 09-20-16, 10:48 PM   #4
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I remember what went on when trail consultants helped in the selection of the O.J. Simpson jury.

I've never watched an NCIS episode, so I've never seen Weatherly at work. I might give this one a looksee.
Old 09-21-16, 08:46 PM   #5
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

This was better than I expected.

This is a trail procedural, but its handled in a unique way. A lot of the dialogue is handled verbally, but all in Dr. Bull's mind. Thought that was a nice twist.
Old 09-21-16, 10:19 PM   #6
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Yes, I agree -- it was very good. And I'm looking forward to the next episode as well.

See, I didn't know they actually constructed mock juries and presented the case to date to them to see what their verdict would be. And the Bull team member who is the attorney even dressed like the defense attorney!

I'm guessing Bull and his team are not cheap so being able to afford this professional help is probably one way the rich seem to get away with stuff. Although that wasn't the message in this episode -- Bull kept an innocent boy from going to jail and it looks like -- in the end -- identified the real killer.

Old 09-21-16, 10:42 PM   #7
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
...See, I didn't know they actually constructed mock juries and presented the case to date to them to see what their verdict would be. And the Bull team member who is the attorney even dressed like the defense attorney!
You know Sandi, O.J. Simpson's attorney's hired a jury consultant. The only thing I can remember, she wore a red dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
...Bull kept an innocent boy from going to jail and it looks like -- in the end -- identified the real killer.
And, identified who the boy was with the night of the murder too.
Old 09-22-16, 12:58 PM   #8
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

I caught this finally and thought that Michael Weatherly did a superb job. He is a new character with just the teeniest smitherings of Tony DiNozzo.

It was well written and it put all the "catch events" and titillating parts in it to grab a hold of the audience following NCIS. It was well written for the most part, but all of it was well acted by all.

Now my criticisms.

The show reminded me of the shows Numbers and Person of Interest with the way Bull analyzed the jury. It was so technical and computerized that it entered into the science fiction area of tv imo. Being a one hour procedural would have to take liberties with the RL time frame of the trial shown. Who knows how long it actually took to create that computer jury panel, to analyze each potential juror and find their "doppleganger" and then psychoanalyze them as well. Also there was the psychoanalyzing of the client and his parents and that other family. This seemed like over kill to me, and in this the story started to twist almost beyond comprehension. But some viewers enjoy this.

The boy was gay. Huh? Was there even any inkling of his sexual orientation? Not in my mind, unless the tying up of the girl was supposed to be an indication of avoiding sex. He did have sex with the Asian girl though, so to pull that thought out of Dr Bull's mind, well he certainly had some strong gaydar going on.

Then as the trial went on and we learned a few more details about it like the necklace thing, well it became very obvious who the killer was. Heck even before that when the other mother was saying her daughter and the boy were meant to be from childhood on, well you just know who did it.

I will watch it again because it is different from the NCIS franchise which in my opinion has gone to one too many cities, DC and LA are good, but NoLA has not interested me at all.
Old 09-22-16, 12:59 PM   #9
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Oh, one more thing, if this is real, the way the jury was manipulated, then I am scared, so scared I'll never do anything wrong that requires me to go to trial with a jury.
Old 09-22-16, 01:23 PM   #10
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post
The show reminded me of the shows Numbers and Person of Interest with the way Bull analyzed the jury. It was so technical and computerized that it entered into the science fiction area of tv imo. Being a one hour procedural would have to take liberties with the RL time frame of the trial shown. Who knows how long it actually took to create that computer jury panel, to analyze each potential juror and find their "doppleganger" and then psychoanalyze them as well. Also there was the psychoanalyzing of the client and his parents and that other family. This seemed like over kill to me, and in this the story started to twist almost beyond comprehension. But some viewers enjoy this.

The boy was gay. Huh?
Was there even any inkling of his sexual orientation? Not in my mind, unless the tying up of the girl was supposed to be an indication of avoiding sex. He did have sex with the Asian girl though, so to pull that thought out of Dr Bull's mind, well he certainly had some strong gaydar going on.

Then as the trial went on and we learned a few more details about it like the necklace thing, well it became very obvious who the killer was. Heck even before that when the other mother was saying her daughter and the boy were meant to be from childhood on, well you just know who did it.
I'm very forgiving of pilots or first episodes since they have so much to introduce in one hour. IMO, this first episode could easily have been a two-parter and I think it may have been even better if that had been the case. I would have liked the extra character layering that more time would have brought and subsequently the reveals would have been less of a leap and more of a deduction which the audience could have arrived at along with Bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post
Oh, one more thing, if this is real, the way the jury was manipulated, then I am scared, so scared I'll never do anything wrong that requires me to go to trial with a jury.
I don't think the average person has much to worry about unless they commit a well-publicized crime and then plead not guilty. But I would also agree with you -- I don't ever want to be in a position like this.

Did you see the movie, "Runaway Jury"? If not, check it out.

Quote:
I will watch it again because it is different from the NCIS franchise which in my opinion has gone to one too many cities, DC and LA are good, but NoLA has not interested me at all.
Also, I'm going to continue watching Bull even though I don't lean towards procedurals. This one is different and I want to see more.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »