Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/Happy 2018!

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-17, 02:51 AM   #9031
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: What's New/Countdown to Thanksgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
I miss Publix SOOOOO much..

Publix is great. Clean.. bright.. good customer service.. quality meats...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Old 11-14-17, 03:02 AM   #9032
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Then of course there is Aldi..

I don’t know what the hell is up with Aldi.

They make you pay a quarter or something to use a shopping cart.. they have no bags.. and it’s like they never have the same stuff. Weird place. I left it out of the discussion because it’s like the Twilight Zone of grocery shopping.

I also left out Walmart grocery because FU Walmart.. I refuse to allow you to take over all markets for everything. Just FU, Walmart.

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Old 11-14-17, 03:32 AM   #9033
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I wish I could afford to "FU, Walmart."

Probably 80% of my grocery shopping is at Walmart. The other grocery options here are 1) Kroger, which is Walmart but costs more, 2) Martin's, which is rapidly shutting down and failing bc poor quality, 3) Aldi's, which is weird, 4) Shit I can't afford (whole foods and fancier stuff).

The other 20% of my grocery shopping is the Farmer's Market down the street, and the few times I go into Aldi's and experience the strangeness.

Old 11-14-17, 03:45 AM   #9034
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Almost none of these stores exist in the pacific northwest to my knowledge. Or at the very least not in Alaska. I go to Carrs (which is actually technically Safeway now but they held on to the local name) for meat and produce because rhey have the best quality, but expensive sheesh. At leasr they have a good gas rewards system. I go to Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger) for everything else. Unless I want to buy in bulk, then its Costco. I only shop at Walmart in a pinch because of proximity. I can walk there when its nice out.
Old 11-14-17, 04:13 AM   #9035
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
I loathe the idea of sounding snobby about it, but I am uncompromising on food and beer quality.
I know the feeling well. I don't look down on people for the meal choices that they make for themselves, but i'm picky about what i eat and drink. Not picky in the sense that there is a big list of foods i don't eat (in fact i enjoy an eclectic and extensive variety of cuisine) but more in the sense that i demand certain levels of quality and care in the food and booze and i eat and drink. And furthermore (and i know you're with me on this one WartyOne), higher prices absolutely do NOT guarantee better quality. In general, one gets what one pays for, but on a case-by-case basis there are literally thousands of examples where that truism is a falsism.

Quote:
I bought some bad meat there.
I swear that is the single worst thing that can happen to turn me personally against ever buying anything "fresh" from the same place again.

The icing on the cake with that beef i got from Wal-Mart was that when i got the package open, i could see that the bottom had started to green just a little, and some clever butcher employee had noticed the package was starting to turn, opened it, carefully pulled off a very thin layer from the top and sides to make them nice and pink again, and then given the whole thing a brand-new wrapping and sticker! Excuse me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Old 11-14-17, 04:19 AM   #9036
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I'm just very, very poor

Old 11-14-17, 04:20 AM   #9037
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Quote:
I wish I could afford to "FU, Walmart."

Probably 80% of my grocery shopping is at Walmart. The other grocery options here are 1) Kroger, which is Walmart but costs more, 2) Martin's, which is rapidly shutting down and failing bc poor quality, 3) Aldi's, which is weird, 4) Shit I can't afford (whole foods and fancier stuff).

The other 20% of my grocery shopping is the Farmer's Market down the street, and the few times I go into Aldi's and experience the strangeness.

Walmart’s grocery quality is fine now and I certainly understand the need for the prices, but man do I hate that place.

In my perfect world I would go to Bob’s
butcher shop for meat. I would shop for electronics at Nancy’s electronics, and Bob and Nancy would be my neighbors.

Walmart killed my friends Bob and Nancy. Every dime spent at Walmart feeds a mega-conglomerate of entrepreneurial murderers that I despise. I understand though... but when everyone gets to the point in your lives that you can support smaller independent business.. please do so.

Old 11-14-17, 04:38 AM   #9038
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Walmart’s grocery quality is fine now and I certainly understand the need for the prices, but man do I hate that place.

In my perfect world I would go to Bob’s
butcher shop for meat. I would shop for electronics at Nancy’s electronics, and Bob and Nancy would be my neighbors.

Walmart killed my friends Bob and Nancy. Every dime spent at Walmart feeds a mega-conglomerate of entrepreneurial murderers that I despise. I understand though... but when everyone gets to the point in your lives that you can support smaller independent business.. please do so.

No, I TOTALLY feel that. I do.

I just can't pass up those sweat-shop prices.

And, I already support local business as much as my budget allows (and when in season, I buy produce from my farmer's market instead of Walmart bc it's similar-enough pricing but WAYYYY better quality. I just wish I could afford Farmer's Market meat and eggs).

I'm also spoiled by having a steady stream of real food from Deltaville, due to my family hunting/fishing/gardening, so in good weeks, all I'm getting from the grocery store is milk and crackers.

Old 11-14-17, 04:46 AM   #9039
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Aldi's is weird. Mrs. Mo and i will go there a few times a year to browse, and we always wind up getting some good deals on good quality stuff that we always wind up using, but going in we never know what we'll come out with.

We also do some Wal-Mart shopping too, but rarely for groceries. They're basically the best dept. store left around here, and it's sometimes convenient to be able to grab some groceries. Never "fresh" stuff though, except their baked goods, which are pretty good, reasonably priced, and a lot less wok than baking at home.

We have three major grocery stores around here, or 4 depending on how you look at it.

Shop Rite has been making a big comeback in the area. There aren't any particularly close to me but i hear good things.

Hannaford Brothers have several large grocery stores in the area. They're clean, keep the lines short, have a great selection of a wide variety of qualities of products. Pretty good places overall.

The Golub Brothers recently split their grocery stores into two different franchises:
Price Chopper is the stores in economically disadvantaged areas (ghettoes so to speak). The stores aren't kept well clean; lines get long during peak hours; selection and quality are poor; no onsite butchers, bakeries, delis, nor florists; and prices are a little higher (due to considerably higher "shrinkage" rates). However, if they didn't run these stores the people in those neighborhoods would be at the mercy of the predatory local bodegas, and Price Chopper offers lots of services that are otherwise hard to find and/or prohibitively expensive in those neighborhoods like check cashing services, free wifi, utilities payments, international wire transfers, access to fax machines, and i'm sure i'm forgetting a few too.
Market32 is the upscale Golub chain. They are large stores that usually anchor large strip malls in both larger suburbs and more affluent urban areas. They are clean. There are always registers open. There are always mart carts available for individuals with mobility issues. There are always butchers, bakers, deli workers, florists, and sushi chefs at work in the public eye. Employees wander around with sample trays during peak hours. There is a wide range of qualities of goods, almost all of which are reasonably priced. All the meats and produce are trustworthy, even the shellfish. ~40% of the food products are certified organic, but you can still get 3 pounds of store brand elbow macaroni for $2.59. It's the spot.
We also have a one-location food co-op which started in a closet in the mid-60's and now rivals the big stores as far as size and even beats them for selection in some cases. The place is ruinously expensive unless you're a member, and there's quite a waiting list. BUT, when Mo want Thee very best saffron (cuz if you're gonna spend money on freakin saffron, might as well go all the way) or Thee best goat cheese, well then Honest Weight Food Co-Op here i come! They also carry some pretty obscure grains and stuff you can't even find at specialty import stores)
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 11-14-17, 04:51 AM   #9040
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Oh and the Golub Brothers are based locally, buy all their produce and meat local when possible and at least NYS if local's not available. Out-of-season stuff is of course a different matter but anything imported is at least clearly marked.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Closed Thread
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »