Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > American Gods - Starz Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-17, 05:04 PM   #61
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where it never rains!
Posts: 22,951
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
And I forgot -- At the beginning of the episode and, later, when she first meets Shadow, Laura is wearing the casino's gold and black. At the end of the episode, when she reconnects with Shadow, Laura is wearing gold and white.
What do you see as the significance of the wardrobe change? I'm asking because of Anubis' statement to her while she was on the dissection table. "When you are done, I will complete my task and deliver you unto darkness."
__________________
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-17, 02:40 PM   #62
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button
 
Pi-o-my's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 704
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Hodge, I want to tread carefully because even though Laura's backstory and her visit to the mortuary weren't in the book, I don't want to spill any spoilers indirectly about Anubis, Ibis, or Bast.

I hadn't thought about whether Laura's switch to gold and white might be a rejection of or push-back against Anubis' threat of "darkness" after completion of her "task" but that seems plausible.

My thinking about the color change was that it underscored the change in Laura and her feelings for Shadow. Her heart may be just as heavy but her attitude (remember Ibis' comment about "love lost" and "lost love" in addition to Laura's statements to Audrey and then Anubis about her love "now") has gotten brighter, and Shadow is literally a light to her. When she gets to the motel, she takes the dress out of plastic, so the gold and white outfit is likely something new.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #63
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman
 
sandi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Swinging on a Star
Posts: 28,103
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
This latest episode, Git Gone, may've been the best episode of television ever.
I thought it was weak -- certainly not the best episode of any television -- not ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...
I have mixed feelings about how they've expanded the character of Laura. I'm glad to learn more about her but it feels pretty shallow, IMO. So she was dead inside when she met Shadow, and he wasn't much help at filling up her emptiness. Are they saying she needed more (literal) magic in her life? Spiritual belief? There was't much background to her back story, and not much explanation for why Shadow would fall in love with her. ...
... It looks to me like the reanimated Laura is "Shadow's Laura," the way he wished she was, rather than her previous self. New-Laura referred to him as the "light" of her life -- the light of a golden coin?
...
In a normal world, I don't think there's anything about Laura that is remotely attractive and certainly nothing that would normally cause anyone to fall in love with her. Let's face it -- she's just average in looks -- not real shapely, drab hair and boring personality -- depressing really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
...

She'd go to work, come home and find him sleep or working out. He offered nothing to brighten her life. ...


So, she's still dead and will remain dead? Is the meeting between her and Shadow to apologize for things she did, or something else? ...

She saw him a couple of times as complete "light". This was before she knew who he was.
It's not incumbent upon a spouse to "brighten" someone else's life and bring them happiness. In fact, they can't do that -- they can only fulfill someone else's happiness in life. Laura's demeanor begins and ends with Laura -- she was dead inside, IMO. (Which is ironic -- when she was alive she was dead inside and now that's she's dead, she's come alive inside. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
I thought it was pretty amusing that right after Laura referred to Shadow as “Puppy” (when Audrey, correctly, said Laura treated him more like “a pet”) Anubis shows up in hound form. But I’m trying to withhold judgment on Laura being taken to the mortuary to see how the series continues its treatment of Audrey (who was, I guess, left behind along with her car) and of the mortuary. No reason was given for why Audrey’s repair of the arm wasn’t good enough, though maybe it’s obvious that it needed godly skills to function properly. ...
The gods pinned Laura's arm before sewing it. Audrey didn't do that and the arm was too heavy for just stitches to keep it bound to Laura's shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...
I hadn't thought about whether Laura's switch to gold and white might be a rejection of or push-back against Anubis' threat of "darkness" after completion of her "task" but that seems plausible.

My thinking about the color change was that it underscored the change in Laura and her feelings for Shadow. Her heart may be just as heavy but her attitude (remember Ibis' comment about "love lost" and "lost love" in addition to Laura's statements to Audrey and then Anubis about her love "now") has gotten brighter, and Shadow is literally a light to her. When she gets to the motel, she takes the dress out of plastic, so the gold and white outfit is likely something new.
I think Laura's switch to gold and white is symbolic. I think Laura and Shadow are the sun and moon or represent the sun and moon (day/night). In Norse mythology, they are brother and sister. They ride their chariots across the skies and are chased by wolves. (Recall Shadow and Mr. Wednesday riding in the car at night and Shadow stops for a wolf in the road?)

Remember when Shadow sees the third sister on the rooftop and she's gazing at the stars? She said something to him about "throwing away the sun" but she would give him the moon. She reached up and the moon appeared between her fingers and then she gave Shadow a silver coin -- the moon. I think the sun that Shadow threw away was the gold coin Mad Sweeney gave him which Shadow tossed upon Laura's grave. (Which sunk down into Laura and brought her forth -- I think.)

Gold coin/silver coin = sun/moon and I believe Laura is wearing the colors now that represent the gold/silver or sun/moon relationship.
__________________
http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic36_3.gif



Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #64
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman
 
sandi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Swinging on a Star
Posts: 28,103
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday



American Gods
S01E05 "Lemon Scented You"
Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 9/8c on Starz.


Spoiler: Episode Description and Promo



"Trying to work things out with his dead and unfaithful wife, Shadow's reunion is interrupted when he and Mr. Wednesday are kidnapped by the New Gods." Source
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #65
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub
 
vonnegut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hunting
Posts: 74,310
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
I thought it was weak -- certainly not the best episode of any television -- not ever.
I concur. I have much higher hopes for tonight.

Quote:
In a normal world, I don't think there's anything about Laura that is remotely attractive and certainly nothing that would normally cause anyone to fall in love with her. Let's face it -- she's just average in looks -- not real shapely, drab hair and boring personality -- depressing really.
Yeah. And I'm okay with that, because she's kind of like that in the books, too. It makes it less about who Laura is, and more about who Shadow is, in how you see his personality reflected in his feelings for her.

Quote:
It's not incumbent upon a spouse to "brighten" someone else's life and bring them happiness. In fact, they can't do that -- they can only fulfill someone else's happiness in life. Laura's demeanor begins and ends with Laura -- she was dead inside, IMO. (Which is ironic -- when she was alive she was dead inside and now that's she's dead, she's come alive inside. )
LOL, I do like that last part.

Quote:
The gods pinned Laura's arm before sewing it. Audrey didn't do that and the arm was too heavy for just stitches to keep it bound to Laura's shoulder.
Yep. They have thousands of years of experience sticking corpses back together again.

Quote:
I think Laura's switch to gold and white is symbolic. I think Laura and Shadow are the sun and moon or represent the sun and moon (day/night). In Norse mythology, they are brother and sister. They ride their chariots across the skies and are chased by wolves. (Recall Shadow and Mr. Wednesday riding in the car at night and Shadow stops for a wolf in the road?)

Remember when Shadow sees the third sister on the rooftop and she's gazing at the stars? She said something to him about "throwing away the sun" but she would give him the moon. She reached up and the moon appeared between her fingers and then she gave Shadow a silver coin -- the moon. I think the sun that Shadow threw away was the gold coin Mad Sweeney gave him which Shadow tossed upon Laura's grave. (Which sunk down into Laura and brought her forth -- I think.)

Gold coin/silver coin = sun/moon and I believe Laura is wearing the colors now that represent the gold/silver or sun/moon relationship.
A+

The show has made the sun/moon stuff even more obvious than the books.

I still get a shiver thinking about the third sister telling him to take the moon. Now, THAT was a fantastic episode.

And, going to watch the new one now.
Because of how I do my streaming, I get all of the TV I'm currently watching on Sunday nights (Dr Who airs Saturday but hits Amazon on Sunday, and American Gods and Leftovers are both Sunday).
I have invariably been choosing to watch American Gods first. I can't wait.
__________________
For your sake, I hope you’re lying. Cause if it’s true, I swear to God, I will march into hell myself and I will slaughter each and every one of you evil sons of bitches.



Honestly, I think the world's going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight.
We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'.



vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 03:00 AM   #66
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub
 
vonnegut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hunting
Posts: 74,310
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Much, MUCH better.

High point of the episode was my husband gushing "THAT'S CRISPIN GLOVER." It was definitely a gush. The appearance of Mr. World shocked it right out of him, and it cracked me up. He rarely says things in that particular tone of voice, but he was REALLY excited to see Crispin Glover.

So we started out with more Laura stuff. A bit boring, a bit funny, but whatever. I did eventually come to the conclusion that the plot in the book is really just the setting for the love story, so I understand having to focus on Laura. But christ how creepy was some of that. Necrophilia perhaps just isn't my thing.

I really love Tech Boy casting, even though he looks nothing like in the book, he's playing it perfectly. That sneer is spot on. Loved Media's Bowie impersonation.
It was interesting that he got caught by the VR facemask. I thought that was purely his "thing" but then Media is using it on him.

"Martyrdom is a great recruitment tool" (paraphrase)

Wednesday's senile impersonation in prison was f-ing hilarious. And then he tells the truth

Any time that Mad Sweeney is on screen, I am happy. I'm 99.9% in love with him.

The Mr. World / Media / Tech Guy / Shadow / Wednesday conversation was brilliant. Good exposition, letting show-onlies get some solid "here's what is going on," while being delightful to watch.

The visuals continue to awe me. There is one shot, where Shadow and Wednesday are leaving the police station, and the fog swirls around them-- I really wanted to just rewind and watch that one shot again.

This may just be one of the best shows on TV right now, but it is definitely THE show that I just eat up with my eyes.

OH, and the opening. Some parts of that were really familiar, I know that there was an interlude in the books involving the Siberian migrants across the land bridge, and the Nunananwhatever god, but I can't remember the details (I really need to read again), I feel like the book interlude was a lot more involved. But I guess the whole point of it was to show that gods die when no one believes in them.

OH-- and the tree thing. I have no idea what that is. Either it's in the book and I've completely forgotten, or it's not in the book. That was creepy and cool, though.

Again, I feel a bit antsy, that nothing really HAPPENED in this episode, just fallout from the Laura situation and a lot of exposition. Hearing that it's renewed for a second season has me wondering exactly how it's going to pace out. If they stick to the original plot and try to stretch it too long, it's going to dilute the impact of the story. Or are they planning on going off-book or extending it (that will be really hard to do while keeping quality)? Nervous about this. Although, it depends on how many episodes each season (I can't remember). If they are 10 episode seasons, I can see them doing a good job with the original story in 20 episodes, no problem. At this point they are definitely not hitting the "end" of the story at the end of this season (if it's a 10 episode job), because the story is nowhere near half done. But, a quarter done? That feels about right. Still so much to come.
I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get some real Mr. Nancy appearance-- when we saw him as the spider undoing Wednesday's handcuffs, I thought we were getting him for sure. His one scene a few episodes back was so fantastic, I can't wait to see him really get into it. And I want to get more Egyptians.

Gah, can I just get the next episode now?
__________________
For your sake, I hope you’re lying. Cause if it’s true, I swear to God, I will march into hell myself and I will slaughter each and every one of you evil sons of bitches.



Honestly, I think the world's going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight.
We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'.



vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »


Bookmarks

Tags
american gods starz, fantasy, ian mcshane, neil gaiman

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


» Latest Posts: All Discussion Forums
Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Forum
Rest in Peace, Gregg Allman
azteclady
Today 09:00 AM
by TheBigCat
4 Band and Artist Discussion
Doctor Who Series 10 Fantasy League ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Jane
Today 05:19 AM
by vonnegut
125 Doctor Who
The Leftovers - HBO Sunday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
ZIA
Today 05:18 AM
by vonnegut
586 Featured TV General
American Gods - Starz Sunday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
sandi
Today 03:00 AM
by vonnegut
65 Featured TV General
What's New/Tomato Envy ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
catnap
Today 01:25 AM
by vonnegut
5,298 Lostaways! :)
Gotham - FOX Monday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
azteclady
Yesterday 10:37 PM
by 9mile monster
502 Featured TV General
Lucifer - FOX Monday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
sandi
Yesterday 07:33 PM
by sandi
207 Featured TV General
Twin Peaks - Showtime Sunday ( 1 2)
sandi
Yesterday 07:23 PM
by sandi
11 Featured TV General
Survivor 34: Game Changers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
WDGovernor
Yesterday 02:41 PM
by Zaphod of Whiskers
308 Survivor
In honor of Geek Pride Day (5/25).... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Brian
Yesterday 01:48 PM
by azteclady
534 Lostaways! :)
Rate The Last Movie You Watched ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Scott
Yesterday 01:17 PM
by Zaphod of Whiskers
3,598 Movies General Discussion
» Online Users: 212
2 members and 210 guests
gertie, nsguy
Most users ever online was 26,316, 05-12-14 at 10:02 AM.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.0

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Graphic Design by Crazy Creative
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.