Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > On the privatization of public library systems

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 08-28-17, 08:49 PM   #1
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

On the privatization of public library systems

I was alerted by a friend who happens to be a librarian, about something many of us are unaware of: the fact that many small, struggling libraries have been privatized. Ostensibly, to save tax payers money. The reality...not so much. (LINK)

Ignoring annoying blowhards everywhere, for a good long time
azteclady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-17, 11:00 PM   #2
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Billiards Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Pool Jam - 10 Minute Game Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Glum Ball Glumballs Champion! Glum Ball_v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Glum Ball Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Sacred Symbols Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Chap Hai Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!
Re: On the privatization of public library systems

It stinks that it's happening but not a shock. If they can privatize prisons they can privatize just about anything.

What's troubling is that they were trying to keep the change on the down low from the community. Fudging numbers and assuming the same level of volunteers was super sketchy, but typical.

In the end it's up to each community to decide what to do. But libraries are becoming less needed and dedicating so much space to physical books gets more and more impractical. So things aren't going to get better.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-17, 01:53 AM   #3
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

I am friends with a number of librarians. Most libraries these days*** offer digital lending, in a variety of ways, from audiobooks in CDS to streaming service; also DVDs, BluRays, and also streaming of movies and music.

Also, in many areas, libraries provide community spaces that are not found elsewhere, as well as resources--such as wifi and help and training for people looking for jobs--that are also not easily available elsewhere.

Libraries are much more than books, and they are needed most by those who don't have the privilege of accessing these service from home. Those are the people public libraries have always served, and those are the first people who lose access when libraries go public.

*** Should note: this is only possible in areas where reliable internet access is a thing that happens. Vast stretches of this country, including fairly well populated areas, still don't have reliable cable, let alone broadband, internet access.

Ignoring annoying blowhards everywhere, for a good long time
azteclady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-17, 11:17 PM   #4
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Billiards Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Pool Jam - 10 Minute Game Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Glum Ball Glumballs Champion! Glum Ball_v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Glum Ball Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Sacred Symbols Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Chap Hai Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!

I'll be honest though and say that every college library I've been to has been MUCH better run than the city ones. City employees tend to have a reputation, at least in my city.

And so one area where I'd expect better service is a private library over a city/town run one. Not all the time, but in general.

I remember I once had to run to the public library to copy something. They close at 5:30 and at like 5:25 I went to make copies . They clearly wanted to be out of there at 5:30 exactly and groaned that I wouldn't let them turn the copier off BEFORE they closed.

Whenever I needed a quiet place to get stuff done, I always went to the college libraries to be honest.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-17, 06:00 PM   #5
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »