Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Warty's Sandman FR - Overture

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 09-25-17, 12:59 AM   #841
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR - Dream Hunters

Yes, I have the Death books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-17, 02:00 AM   #842
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR - Overture

Sandman - Overture

It was a small planet.

When I think the art of Sandman canít get better, it does. Morpheus as seen by Quorian was stunning. Immediately I think I can tell that this my last foray into the realm of Dream, will go a long way showing what his role in the Dreaming really is; his power to shape and to limit what dreams can do.
Quorian itself is amazing... a blend of something predatory like a flytrap, yet peaceful.. ďwith a beautiful mindĒ.

Also in the art.. the layout.. concentric circles with rectangular boxed border frames. There really is something masterful even in the framing. The calm beauty then devolves into more chaotic framing, giving reference to what is going on in Quorianís world. Chaotic indeed as it seems to have culminated in the death of this aspect of Dream... at least within the aspect of this Dreaming

At first I thought that was all there was, but at the end of the chapter it almost seems like my darling Mary Poppins Death knew that this was the beginning of an even bigger end for Morpheus.. the beginning that began in Preludes and Nocturnes, and not just this particular end of Dream.

Morpheus having a London office is also fantastic.. I donít know why I find that so awesome, but it is. It is the one brief moment of humor in this chapter as this is setting up to be serious.

Interesting as well the parallels here with the Corinthianís rebellion and Luciferís. Both rebel against their creator, wanting to go beyond the parameters set for their creation.

Itís also fantastic seeing right away how Gaiman can tie up loose ends before they even begin.

Anyway.. it seems Dream was a bit unprepared for a meeting with aspects of himself coming together for a meeting.

I must admit that this was a fist to the face in a good way after Endless Nights and Dream Hunters. Both were beautiful in their own way, but this seems to be the kind of material that made me fall in love with the Sandman series. Itís almost as if this later fully matured version of Gaiman wants to remind me of the core of his vision.

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Old 09-27-17, 02:49 AM   #843
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Chapter 2

This chapter was some amazing amalgam of images as Dream saw aspects if himself, and we see the beginnings of a self-awareness of him he never had before. It makes clear how the next 70 years or whatever it was imprisoned gave him time to dwell on what he is seen learning here.

Nice to see mad Hettie again, and her home the asylum cut away to reveal what looks like a living entity.

What followed was Dreamís arguing with himself over minute details and peculiars, leading him to ask ďam I always like this?Ē
This chapter also hints at the Universe itself giving ďbirthĒ to the Endless as Dream says something about visiting father as two aspects of himself go off together.

Time was referenced during the ďnowĒ portion with Daniel.. more themes.

Thereís this thing here again with Gaiman.. he doesnít feel the need to spoon feed us every single thing. He respects his audience enough to let us fill in some of our own blanks. There are however some blanks here..

The Father.. is it the universe... is it the mad star.. is it time immortal... is it the night as the antithesis of the star.. is it something else?

The pages took a turn for the surreal.

Old 09-28-17, 07:48 PM   #844
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Whoa, you're on Overture already? What happened to Death? I want to do the re-read on "book zero" during your read-through, so I'd better get cracking!

What I do remember is that Overture begins with Williams smashing the panel bars and continues on with him destroying the concept of point of view. I'm assuming that Corinthian's toothy eyes have to stay in his head so seeing a panel that includes the Corinthian, through his eye-teeth --! I guess this is meant to be Portcullis' dream still --? If so, that very dull-seeming guy has a vivid imagination, even more than the locations of the Master's office would indicate.

I can't remember if this great detail is in issue 1 or 2, but since you're already on #2, I don't need to worry about a spoiler -- I love that peek over Destiny's shoulder at the Droste effect, or more accurately, deja vu effect, of repeating panels.

Ok, off to start reading!
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-17, 09:02 PM   #845
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

I decided that I could read Overture before the 2 Death books.

Honestly this FR has sort of run it's course, so I wanted to go ahead and knock out Overture, comment, and close this out.

Thanks for the comments, and I have stared at the unique borders, boundaries, and POV's shown so far. This has been pretty stunning visually with the unique framing, at times lack of framing, and the incredible coloring. I imagine Gaiman really wanted to work with JH Williams.. It is hard for me to put into words the feelings generated by the multi page spreads and contrasting views as defined in this mostly flowing style.

Old 09-29-17, 01:23 AM   #846
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I just re-read it, for the first time. I'd forgotten a lot. It really is beautiful.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-17, 01:28 AM   #847
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Sandman - Overture
Morpheus having a London office is also fantastic.. I donít know why I find that so awesome, but it is. It is the one brief moment of humor in this chapter as this is setting up to be serious.
Isn't it great?

With different dreamers taking shifts.

I feel like I may have done something like that at some point in my dreams. "Sorry, he's not in right now."

Quote:
Interesting as well the parallels here with the Corinthianís rebellion and Luciferís. Both rebel against their creator, wanting to go beyond the parameters set for their creation.

Itís also fantastic seeing right away how Gaiman can tie up loose ends before they even begin.
I'd forgotten the Corinthian part (I really forgot a LOT of Overture). And yes, now we know why he ran, or one reason why he ran. Book 2 makes more sense.

Either way it's just fun seeing him for a minute. He's one of my favorites.

Quote:
Anyway.. it seems Dream was a bit unprepared for a meeting with aspects of himself coming together for a meeting.

I must admit that this was a fist to the face in a good way after Endless Nights and Dream Hunters. Both were beautiful in their own way, but this seems to be the kind of material that made me fall in love with the Sandman series. Itís almost as if this later fully matured version of Gaiman wants to remind me of the core of his vision.

It really is perfect for what it does.

After reading Overture, I was like the stalker dude from Love Actually:

I don't even really want Gaiman to write more Sandman, because he finished it.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 09-29-17, 01:31 AM   #848
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Chapter 2

This chapter was some amazing amalgam of images as Dream saw aspects if himself, and we see the beginnings of a self-awareness of him he never had before. It makes clear how the next 70 years or whatever it was imprisoned gave him time to dwell on what he is seen learning here.
YES.

Quote:
What followed was Dreamís arguing with himself over minute details and peculiars, leading him to ask ďam I always like this?Ē

No other comment now, prob will comment much more after the next chapter. A lot happens in that one.

Old 09-29-17, 02:42 AM   #849
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post

I don't even really want Gaiman to write more Sandman, because he finished it.

Iím not quite finished yet, but I echo that sentiment. Finishing with an Overture is so Gaiman.. bring the end around to the beginning in a cohesive manner that makes everything so clear.

At this point I am fine with a pen-drop and walk-away from the Sandman writing desk.

Old 09-29-17, 02:43 AM   #850
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Overture 3

As I read into 3, I thought a lot about the word ďovertureĒ and itís meaning. How this story is fitting so well within the confines of the definition. It truly set up the world to follow and gave a grand overview. It all makes sense... Alianora.. the scar, the three.. all introduced 25 years or so after we first knew of them. Brilliance... a narrative cohesiveness wrapped up in as immersive experience as I have ever had in literature.

In the beginning there was Night.. and Time.
How poignant.. Dream.. nighttime.

ďChapter FourĒ spelled out at the top of the 2 page spread of the city of the stars... the colors and shapes again...

The bad thing trying to comment now is that I canít really think of new superlatives to describe what I see and what I want to say just comes off as repetitive.

Hope calls Dream a liar... He always lied to himself.. what changed was he eventually stopped believing the lies he told himself.

Just for the record... Iím now convinced we can add ďAvatarĒ onto the list of things inspired by Neil Gaimanís Sandman.

This is evidence of Gaimanís genius.. or madness.. Iím not sure the difference. It certainly is like the mad universe.. expansive and expanding on the character of our Dream.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »