Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > International Women's Day 2016/2017

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 09-19-17, 08:21 AM   #51
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: International Women's Day 2016/2017

From a tactical standpoint, the Vkings' shieldmaidens were the equivalent of the first line in a Spartan phalanx (except centuries earlier than the Spartans tighter formations). They were THEE vanguard, the position of highest honor and greatest responsibility in any battle. That's WHY the Valkyries were the choosers of those worthy of Valhalla.

A lot of what we are familiar with today regarding Nordic culture and religion comes from Richard Wagner ( a favorite of the broadcasts at Auschwitz), J.R.R Tolkien (who distorted it into unrecognizability) and a general sense of a gigantic blonde woman sining obtuse arias while wearing a horned helm.

The early Christian missionaries did all they could do erase Nordic mythology, and where they couldn't erase, they embraced. Funny that in a society so heavily bent on Latin-Greek and Judeo-Christian fundamentals, more than half of the days of the week are based on Nordic names, no? Tue->Tiu->Tyr; Odin->Woden->Wednes; Thor's->Thur's; Freya's->Fri.

Ah but that last one''s the rub that brings us back round to the theme of the thread. There are certain idiots who claim that since the other Norse-named days are named after male gods, then Friday must be named after Frey, not Freya. Of course, there are a lot of problems with that concept, not least of which being that Freya, as goddess of springtime, clearly outranked Frey, who was god of consort to Freya.

Anyway, i won't come into this thread and try to pretend that Vikings were particularly nice to womenfolk. I merely wanted to point out that there was a certain respect there, and it was shown both on the battlefield and in the temples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-17, 01:45 PM   #52
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

Another day. Another attack on people with uteri's very lives.

The current joke of an administration has just announced they are throwing their weight behind a proposal to make it a FEDERAL CRIME to have an abortion at 20 weeks. For those who don't know, right now, already? the only abortions occurring at 20 weeks or later, are because the fetus is DEAD inside the uterus, or there are such major, life threatening abnormalities in the fetus' development (hydrocephalia, for example), that it would not survive birth. Once more, for the people in the back: abortions at 20 weeks or later, in the USoA, only happen for medical reasons.

But the rump in the White House has just announced that he'll support a FEDERAL LAW TO CRIMINALIZE...medically indicated abortions.

Yay.

Pro-life.

Except, lets also work really hard at taking away prenatal care, NICU care, birth control, regular pap smears and other preventative care, from biologically female bodies. No more essential health benefits for you, women and trans men, because the white cis men making decisions over your health don't need no mammograms, or any of that 'female' nonsense.

They absolutely require their boner pills, and those will be paid for. One guess why.

Sexism? Not here, that's crazy talk. /s

Personal note: I realized that my original wording erased the experience of trans men; I was thoughtless and this knee jerking is hurtful and harmful. I apologize.

Ignoring annoying blowhards everywhere, for a good long time

Last edited by azteclady; 10-04-17 at 03:06 PM.
azteclady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-17, 01:30 PM   #53
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

So, the 20weeks abortion ban passed the House.

It may not pass the Senate--though with this Congress? It may.

It's never a good time to talk about gun control, and talking about 'small government' is an excellent selling point; yet it's always a good time to micromanage female bodies and choices.

It's never a good or convenient time to provide for women's and trans men's comprehensive and proper health care, whether or not they decide to procreate; it's never convenient to provide for the care of those children that will be born, damn their health or the health of the people who birth them (and that includes mental health issues from being forced to carry to term a pregnancy over their own judgement and will); it's never convenient to protect those children after they have been born.

But by golly, we'll make sure they are born!

Welcome to 2017 in the wealthiest country on the planet.

Personal note: I realized that my original wording erased the experience of trans men; I was thoughtless and this knee jerking is hurtful and harmful. I apologize. Not intending harm doesn't ever mean that harm has not been done.

Last edited by azteclady; 10-04-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 04:09 AM   #54
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

Lets see these science-disdaining politicians, claiming to be "pro-life," try to come back at this doctor and refute her facts, receipts, and knowledge:

Old 10-13-17, 12:22 PM   #55
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

When Tippi Hedren said that Alfred Hitchock harassed her in the set of The Birds, Hitchcock 'experts' were given page space and air time to call her a liar.

When 60 (SIXTY!) women came forward to say that Bill Cosby had raped them, we were told that all they wanted was money and fame--and he was acquitted.

When Brock Turner was found guilty of raping an unconscious woman, his father asked the court to consider that '20 minutes of action' shouldn't weigh more than the potential of his future--and the judge agreed, sentencing a convicted rapist to six months of jail, of which he served three.

When ~20 women said that Donald Trump--who had admitted on tape to grabbing women by the pussy and 'just kissing them' without asking or waiting for consent--had sexually assaulted them, the ripple of shock lasted less than two weeks, and his ass presently sits at the White House, supporting misogynistic measures, approving of literal Nazis, and signing executive orders cancelling subsidies for health care for the poorest in the country.

Now that Harvey Weinstein is on the hot seat for serially abusing women for decades, including raping them, we hear condemnation for...Hillary Clinton, currently a private citizen.

We also hear condemnations for...Harvey Weinstein's victims, with vociferous voices demanding to know why these accusations weren't made at the time of the attacks, why did these women keep silent, why didn't these victims think of all the women who would be victimized after them, why didn't these victims come forward, speak out, speak up, why...

Why, indeed.

Men, and many women, hold individual women responsible for the shitty actions, behaviours, thoughts of criminal men.

"If women didn't go out drinking with men, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "I wasn't drinking alcohol, my non-alcoholic drink was spiked with a rape drug, and I was attacked when I was unconscious."
"If women didn't go out alone with men, they couldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "I wasn't alone with him, there were other people with us, and they didn't nothing to help me."
"If women wouldn't go out with men they don't know well, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "I had known him for years, and he raped me."
"If women kept work and socialization separate, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "I was harassed and groped at work."
"If women reported abuse at work to Human Resources, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "I followed every procedure to report sexual abuse by my boss/co-workers/top executives, that HR told me to...and, after years of stellar evaluations, I was fired for 'poor performance.'"
"If women spoke up about abusive men, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "When I told my group of friends that one of the men in the group had had groped me, they expressed shock, but remained his friends. When I told them his jokes and body language made me feel unsafe, they told me I 'misunderstood' him. When I said that I knew he was a sexual abuser, they told me to stop 'spreading rumors' and 'defaming' him. When I told them he had raped me, they didn't believe me."
"If women didn't put themselves in dangerous situations, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: "We are raped by our relatives, we are raped by our parents' friends, we are raped by other students, teachers, cops, bosses, customers at places of employments, doctors at their offices..."
"If women didn't dress that way, talk that way, walk that way, think that way, be there, work in that industry, live in that country, they wouldn't be harassed/abused/raped."
Women: ...
But there's no such thing as sexism, there is no such thing as rape culture, there is no such thing as toxic masculinity, and anything bad that happens to women is because women did something to provoke it.

Last edited by azteclady; 10-13-17 at 12:30 PM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »