Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Dark Side's First Watch - The Man In The High Castle

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-17-18, 05:25 AM   #31
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: Dark Side's First Watch - The Man In The High Castle

As far as the contrived acting and editing, JC--

Keep in mind, I never said this was HBO quality. I never fangirled about it like I do about Rome or Deadwood.

But, I said I LOVED it, and I do. It's original and imaginative and once it stopped being "oh, here's a dystopian alternate history with flat characters," and started getting really strange, I enjoyed it a LOT.

Kido as a character, and the acting being done by that actor, floors me. Even just in S1, which you've watched, he has come so far, and he is really, really awesome.
The scene where he almost sepukkus is prob my favorite of the season.
I could give two shits about Julianna or Joe Blake or Frankenfrinker. They are boring.

But I'm surprised you haven't commented on the non-Kido example of good acting, Rufus Sewell as the obergruppenfuhrer. He's done a hell of a job. I am fond of the actor anyway, but I thought he was great in this.

And Tagomi (trade minister) fascinates me. As does his second-in-command/secretary/whatever, the survivor of Nagasaki, who keeps telling him to meditate.

It goes deeper.

And it's all about the films.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-18, 05:39 AM   #32
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Okay, I'm going full out Catholic (of which I am not) belief system on this.

Hitler is the anti-Christ. it's his job to make sure people go to hell. People who go to purgatory, a neutral zone of sorts, have an undetermined destiny. So even in his death, Hitler's job still isn't done. He's still recruiting for hell, pushing for people to join him. Wants war with Japan, etc...

Idk where I'm going with the rest of this really because the films seem to throw a wrench into every single idea I have about this show. Who friggin cares about a bunch of dumb films.

How many films are there? How coincidental is it that the Frank's FW film was one where he was assassinated by Joe Blake,or by proxy.

Is Tagomi the one retrieving the films from real world America and then bringing them back to this place? Is he guided by the oracle to retrieve films that will be personal to those who end up watching them? To what end though? Just to drive those people batty?

I need to know!
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-18, 05:42 AM   #33
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Don't take my disdain for the show's less than desirable production value personally, Kelly. I certainly don't hold it against you. I was merely stating my opinion on it.
Old 01-17-18, 05:43 AM   #34
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
Okay, I'm going full out Catholic (of which I am not) belief system on this.

Hitler is the anti-Christ. it's his job to make sure people go to hell. People who go to purgatory, a neutral zone of sorts, have an undetermined destiny. So even in his death, Hitler's job still isn't done. He's still recruiting for hell, pushing for people to join him. Wants war with Japan, etc...

Idk where I'm going with the rest of this really because the films seem to throw a wrench into every single idea I have about this show. Who friggin cares about a bunch of dumb films.

How many films are there? How coincidental is it that the Frank's FW film was one where he was assassinated by Joe Blake,or by proxy.

Is Tagomi the one retrieving the films from real world America and then bringing them back to this place? Is he guided by the oracle to retrieve films that will be personal to those who end up watching them? To what end though? Just to drive those people batty?

I need to know!

Old 01-17-18, 05:44 AM   #35
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Don't take my disdain for the show's less than desirable production value personally, Kelly. I certainly don't hold it against you. I was merely stating my opinion on it.
I don't take it personally at all, love. I even agree with most of it. HBO it is not.

I just think this is a show that rises above its faults in many ways, and I've wanted you to stick through it.

Old 01-17-18, 01:26 PM   #36
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

So as usual I was wrong about everything.

Hitler is not the man in the high castle. Stapler guy from Office Space/station owner from Newsradio is the man in the high castle. He gets to watch the films from all the different timelines. Does he do that in each timeline? Apparently if he can figure out who the dead Nazi is he can somehow save this particular timeline's San Francisco from being scorched out of existence.

Tagomi returns. He's confused about his trip to a parallel universe San Francisco where people laugh and stuff.

Only mystery I care about now is how the films are getting made and do they all exist in each timeline or have they come together only in this timeline for some reason.

However, if multiple timelines is the answer, which makes sense since most sci-fi shows are horribly produced, I may opt out.
Old 01-17-18, 06:57 PM   #37
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Quote:
I fear the answer may be too fantastical for my liking.
Quote:
if there's some alternate universe shit going on then anything's possible.
Had time to digest and think. So this is it then. An alternate universe, possibly more than one. If there are alternate universes, there must be one that has never known war. There might also be one where Man destroyed itself, and earth, by war or other means. Then there must be more universes containing everything in between.

Only way I'd be able to stay with a show like this, one with multiple universes at work, is if it gets really highbrow and super big picture. The idea of an alternative universe is interesting but the characters and quality of the show are not. Seems this show is more interested in the character study than exploring the sci-fi possibilities and that just frustrates me.

A good example of what I'm talking about is a show called Continuum. Loved that show and watched it all the way through despite having many of the same production gaffs as High Castle. The time travel aspect of the show was fully in play, in your face, and explored. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good character study, but that's an area in which sci-fi shows generally are lacking, High Castle being no exception.

It may take TMITHC several seasons to get to a place where I'd enjoy it. I hope it does since the sci-fi aspect of it could be interesting. If so, I may return to it. Til then, /thread.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »