Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > This Is Us - NBC Tuesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 11-02-16, 10:18 PM   #51
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: This Is Us - NBC Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Better check my supply of Kleenex.
Ran out of Kleenex again!

I'll be back with my comments.

ETA: This series is so good, I watch in awe. I love every character, even Kevin after this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentstuntdbl#23 View Post
Another very strong episode this week.
We see how Jack sacrificed his happiness for his family's well being.
We learned a little more about Kate & Rebecca's fractured relationship.
Of course more about Randall and Kevin's childhood/present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawboy View Post
Yep, very strong episode and filled in more gaps. Jack died when the kids were teens it seems. And based on the issues the kids seem to have, and how they still quote their dad, I think Sandi nailed it when she said Jack was the glue for the family. It is obvious that he was. And his choices were less impulsive and more about doing right by his wife and kids in spite of his own personal desires...
You guys are so right about Jack.

He never wanted Randall to see himself as different, but we all know Randall did. The idea he'd make a mark in his book every time he met a new "black" person, is so touching.

No way he wanted to separate the kids, but he knew it was the right thing to do. I thought it was funny when he asked the teacher if all the kids could go to the new school. The teacher looked at him like, 'you've seen your other kids grades, right.'

Then, looking at Randall as an adult, with kids of his own, drives that point home. The guy loves numbers. And, I still don't know what he does at work.

Oh, and you were right Lawboy, Kevin's got a girlfriend!

What she did to force him to bring that grief to the surface again was great. Kevin and the wife of the dead guy really had a moment.

Quote:
...I am still trying to figure out what I think about Rebecca. She can be very selfish at times. And is slow to come around. But then she does and she gets it and tries to make it better. But she has not shown she connects with the kids at the level that Jack does yet. So when Jack dies, I think that issue will get worse, which leads to some of the issues with see with Kate and Rebecca, or Kevin and Rebecca. Randall and Rebecca seem ok.
I'm still loving Rebecca.

From the beginning, she told Jack she didn't want children, but she loved those kids. You could see it in how she treated Randall. And, how she loved Kate even when Kate hated her. Okay, I said I wasn't going to

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 11-02-16 at 10:41 PM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-16, 05:59 PM   #52
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
I am still trying to figure out what I think about Rebecca. She can be very selfish at times. And is slow to come around. But then she does and she gets it and tries to make it better. But she has not shown she connects with the kids at the level that Jack does yet. So when Jack dies, I think that issue will get worse, which leads to some of the issues with see with Kate and Rebecca, or Kevin and Rebecca. Randall and Rebecca seem ok.
I think you nailed Rebecca and I believe you are right that single Rebecca is most likely the root of some of the issues the kids have. Randall and Rebecca seem ok now, but wait until he finds out that she knew about his dad the whole time. There's going to be some fallout there.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-16, 07:25 PM   #53
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
I think you nailed Rebecca and I believe you are right that single Rebecca is most likely the root of some of the issues the kids have. Randall and Rebecca seem ok now, but wait until he finds out that she knew about his dad the whole time. There's going to be some fallout there.
Are you talking about her relationship with Miguel and subsequent marriage? He was a friend of Jack's then he took his place in Rebecca's heart and mind.

Sure the kids would hate the both of them, especially mom. As you guys mention, the kids were a lot closer to Jack, but there's no doubt Rebecca loved them as well. Okay, I said I wasn't going to .
Old 11-04-16, 07:32 PM   #54
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

I seriously doubt that Rebecca fell into Miguel's arms immediately after Jack died. If she did, then that's the reason the kids have issues. They would have resented that to no end.

I'm thinking she spent some time as a single mother and without Jack around to temper her personality, she probably did and said some things that caused more problems with the kids. I don't doubt that she loved the kids.

Formerly known as clayseason1
Old 11-15-16, 05:42 PM   #55
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

This Is Us
S01E07, "The Best Washing Machine in the Whole World"
Tuesday - November 15, 2016
9/8c - NBC

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"Randall and Kevin's rocky relationship is explained; William unexpectedly reveals a secret to Beth; and Kate feels conflicted after Toby strays from his diet regimen. Elsewhere, Rebecca and Jack acknowledge the growing distance between them." Source
Old 11-16-16, 04:28 PM   #56
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

Kevin was an a-hole to Randall pretty much his whole life. It was painful to watch them as teens. Randall is such a pleaser that he simply can't handle Kevin being such an ass towards him. Glad they are finally coming to terms with each other.

Kate needs more help than just a class. She needs an immersion program for a month. And it seems that her relationship with Toby, while fun, isn't super healthy because it revolves around food and getting thin, instead of just around them. Yeah, they can support each other in that, but it was clear Kate was so hurt but Toby eating treats that it was personal for her, when it should have been about Toby binging.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Lawboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-16, 07:47 PM   #57
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Kevin was an a-hole to Randall pretty much his whole life. It was painful to watch them as teens. Randall is such a pleaser that he simply can't handle Kevin being such an ass towards him. Glad they are finally coming to terms with each other...
You know Lawboy, being an only child, it's hard for me to understand how you could hate your brother. Yeah, maybe it was Rebecca's fault he felt/feels the way he does, but he's your brother.

Okay, they didn't physically share the same womb, but they're triplets IMO. They've been together since day one. They came home together, and grew up with the same parents.

Like you, I'm hoping they can get their relationship healed. As Randall said in last nights episode, "This was the first time you've acknowledged me as your brother".

Quote:
...Kate needs more help than just a class. She needs an immersion program for a month. And it seems that her relationship with Toby, while fun, isn't super healthy because it revolves around food and getting thin, instead of just around them. Yeah, they can support each other in that, but it was clear Kate was so hurt but Toby eating treats that it was personal for her, when it should have been about Toby binging.
When she told him, in essence, 'it's not healthy for me to be with you now'. I hated it, but she was so right.

The scene of her sitting in her car eating mini-donuts was heart ripping. Seeing Toby binge right after accepting everyone's praise for loosing the weight, pushed her right over the edge.

She needs something Lawboy. But, I get the impression, and we've seen in previous episodes, this has been a life-long battle. Why hasn't it worked before? Sandi has said, there's something else going on with her.
Old 11-22-16, 03:51 PM   #58
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

This Is Us
S01E08, "Pilgrim Rick"
Tuesday - November 22, 2016
9/8c - NBC

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"Jack, Rebecca and the kids take an unexpected detour on their way to Thanksgiving dinner at Rebecca's parent's house. In the future, Kate makes two drastic decisions; Kevin invites Olivia to Randall's house for Thanksgiving; and Randall's heartbroken after learning a lifelong secret his mother kept from him." Source
Old 11-22-16, 08:01 PM   #59
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

What's needed to watch, This Is Us?
  • Kleenex (check)
  • TP (just in case you run out of Kleenex) (check)
Old 11-23-16, 06:10 PM   #60
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

Was a really good episode. And it is clear that all the kids have issues of their own. We saw where Kevin got his. Resentment with his mom how she favored Randall. And how Randall got his by just being different and wanting to know about his real parents. But I am still wondering where the issues with Kate came from. Hers have been harder to determine. I think they will explore hers more soon.

I am liking to see Kevin mature more. He certainly needs it. All while Randall is about to have a mini-meltdown. Hopefully Kevin can lend some support. And to Kate as well. She will need it too.

I am trying to figure out why Jack is such an idealized character though. He isn't even like a real person in the flashbacks. Always says and does the right things, always fixes it. Always the one to make it better. And no one is like that in real life. So I think part of the kids coming to terms will be to not idolize and idealize him so much.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Last edited by Lawboy; 11-23-16 at 06:12 PM.
Lawboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »