Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Dark Side's First Watch - The Man In The High Castle

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-14-18, 09:56 AM   #1
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Dark Side's First Watch - The Man In The High Castle

Ep 1

Opens with a spooky rendition of Edelweiss. How long til I get The Sound Of Music out of my head? The hiiiiiiills are aliiiiiiive........

Opening sequence just ended. Sound Of Music thoughts vanished nearly immediately. Very 1940s detective show style. I was enjoying it until the action began. Terrible action sequence. Too much disbelief to suspend. Maybe it will reconcile itself later on in the show but for now it's one strike against.

Apparently decades have passed since the war ended. Technology doesn't seem to have advanced the way it did in a different timeline when America wins the war. 'Merica!

The grasshopper lies heavy. Hmm......

So yeah, aikido bitch witnesses her sister's murder and sees soldiers, who were standing around the recently deceased corps, quickly dispatched by their commander and run off in all directions to presumably hunt down the package her sister just handed to her moments before she was murdered. So then aikido bitch runs to her nearby flat, opens the package, which is a reel to reel film, takes considerable time to properly load it, and begins watching. This chick has balls of Valerian steel. No mourning, not even a look of sadness, or much shock, or fear that the soldiers will bust down her door any second. She just has to watch this film right now in these moments and therein lies her only emotion. To me, this is just sloppy and unrealistic direction. It feels like an unnecessary rush to the plot. No suspense at all, making the intrigue feel manufactured, much like the opening scene.

Oh geez, so while she's watching this to die for footage, her front door rattles and begins to open and she doesn't flinch or even glance in that direction. Turns out it's her boyfriend but still, she isn't the slightest bit on edge about it. I know this could be explained away by saying she knew it was probably him, but wouldn't ya be at least a little bit jumpy and worried it could be the Japs? Makes me wanna stop watching.

So now we cut to the rebel patriot who's never experienced freedom. He's driving a truck. A cop car approaches from behind with its lights flashing. Looks like he's getting pulled over but wait, at the last moment the cop passes the truck and continues forward. End scene and cut back to the sister. That's it.

Seriously? That's it? That's what we cut away for? I mean, is every scene gonna be a hackneyed retread? This is hard to watch.

Rebel patriot has flat tire. Small town cop fixes it for him. Ashes start falling from the sky. Very interesting exchange between the two. Best scene yet.

Just as I was admiring the mid century set design and wardrobe, a mig flies overhead. Interesting. Very very interesting

Oooooooh, rebel patriot is a double agent! Dunh dunh dunnnnhh

This show is a puzzle I want solved! Not sure I want to sit through all the bad acting, terrible writing, and jump cut editing just to possibly be ultimately disappointed.

There is a lot to like though. The mystery of the whole thing is tantalizing. I like the Nazi officer. Looking forward to fleshing out the game he's runnning.

As I mentioned, the set is very cool with it's very detailed Germanizing and Japanimating of America. I also like the idea of the a Neutral Zone. What are the rules there I wonder.

Mostly though, I'm looking forward to whatever weirdness is to come. It's only due the recommendation of those I respect that I'm staying with this.

Mr. Mustache LOL!!!
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-18, 02:59 PM   #2
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: Dark Side's First Watch - The Man In The High Castle

YAY

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-18, 03:02 PM   #3
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
This show is a puzzle I want solved! Not sure I want to sit through all the bad acting, terrible writing, and jump cut editing just to possibly be ultimately disappointed.
The acting and writing get better.
The jump cut editing kind of is what it is.

Quote:

There is a lot to like though. The mystery of the whole thing is tantalizing. I like the Nazi officer. Looking forward to fleshing out the game he's runnning.

As I mentioned, the set is very cool with it's very detailed Germanizing and Japanimating of America. I also like the idea of the a Neutral Zone. What are the rules there I wonder.
Heh, the Neutral Zone

Quote:

Mostly though, I'm looking forward to whatever weirdness is to come. It's only due the recommendation of those I respect that I'm staying with this.

Mr. Mustache LOL!!!
What did you think about the film?

Old 01-14-18, 04:17 PM   #4
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

I think the film is a red herring. I can't say I've seen every single clip of WWII but I've seen a lot. I didn't recognize a single one of those shots aside from the pre-victorious Allied leadership (it was Truman who won the war, Not Roosevelt). If the show wanted me to buy into the film's authenticity as well as what on the surface appears to be the plot, some small amount of relatively well known victory footage would have been included. It wasn't.

Maybe the Nazi bastards created it and use it to track and catch rebels. Other than that, I dunno.

Half way through ep 2. More comments to come in 30 minutes Liz time.
Old 01-14-18, 04:34 PM   #5
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
I think the film is a red herring. I can't say I've seen every single clip of WWII but I've seen a lot. I didn't recognize a single one of those shots aside from the pre-victorious Allied leadership (it was Truman who won the war, Not Roosevelt). If the show wanted me to buy into the film's authenticity as well as what on the surface appears to be the plot, some small amount of relatively well known victory footage would have been included. It wasn't.
If that's what the show was trying to do... (hint: nope).

The footage included was deliberately included. Not an accident or sloppiness on the show's part. It's part of the plot.

Quote:

Maybe the Nazi bastards created it and use it to track and catch rebels. Other than that, I dunno.

Half way through ep 2. More comments to come in 30 minutes Liz time.
Hmmm.

Old 01-14-18, 06:40 PM   #6
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
The footage included was deliberately included. Not an accident or sloppiness on the show's part. It's part of the plot.
That's sort of what I was saying. However, the film was shown only once and in a short burst. I could go back and analyze it but I won't. I'll only view it when the show plays it for me. That being the case, it's difficult to take a hard look at what is in the film. So most of my conclusions are, as I alluded to, based on what's not in the film.

Ep 2 down.

Much better episode. Apparently I gave up on this show when it originally aired based on the strength, or lack thereof, of the first ep, which I was remembering as it plodded forward. Ep 2 is all new to me.

Mostly enjoyable with a couple hiccups. I'll start with the hiccups since most people wanna hear the bad news first.

Frank, whose name was the first I could remember because it is spoken more than any other, does not show up for work. His coworker arrives at work and finds out that Frank is a no call no show. He the goes straight away to Frank's place to check on him. Cut to Canon City where Juliana takes a mid morning/early afternoon break from work which she uses to call Frank at their shared apartment.

Why would she think Frank would be there? How could she not know his work schedule of his steady job? Shit like this is annoying. So stupid.

The shootout was yet again awful. The dialogue is still bad.

Okay, now for the stuff that I enjoyed digesting.

The man in the high castle, the oracle, the bookstore owner... fair amount of mystique going on here.

Who put the 3 phony reels in Trudy's bag? If they were there before Juliana took possession of them she would have watched them all. Actually, with the way that scene where she watched them was cut, maybe she did watch them all. If so, how did she know which one to keep or was that just dumb luck?

Or, Juliana put the decoy tapes in the bag just in case something like this happened. This seems unlikely given her the short amount of time that had passed.

Or, maybe the girl that stole the bag put them there. Then she intentionally got herself caught knowing that the Japs would find them, see they were phony, and call off the hunt for Juliana.

The girl that stole her bag, German agent? Neutral zone pirate? Resistance fighter? I'm going with resistance fighter, and I'm going with the later of my assumptions about the whole situation.

The firing squad is called off but Frank's sister's family is killed anyway. Brutal.

Juliana's aikido comes in handy as she tosses a presumably highly trained SD officer off the bridge. Odd that she chose the bridge on which her and Joe Blake shared a bonding moment. There's a few potential reasons she might have done that but I figure it's the closest place outside of town that's within walking distance that she knows about. So then Joe Blake rescues her, which would have happened no matter where the meeting was. They exit the scene together but she leaves Frank's sketch of her behind, only to be found by........

Joe Blake breaks into presumably the SD officers dwelling and watches a film that is not shown to us the audience. Same film Juliana has? Probably but that's only an assumption. Joe Blake seems like he could turn in any which direction. He's gonna do what he thinks best.

Joe Blake is 27 years old. The war ended in 1952 as mentioned by someone in ep 1. Joe has never known freedom and therefore was probably born as or after the war ended. This would make the approximate year 1980. That number won't be off by much given that Joe continually mentions his father's involvement in the war and seems to lament the road which that has led him down.

His father must be someone prominent. Hitler himself? The Nazi officer? Rommel? Eisenhower? Patton?

I hope they show the film again.
Old 01-14-18, 06:53 PM   #8
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
That's sort of what I was saying. However, the film was shown only once and in a short burst. I could go back and analyze it but I won't. I'll only view it when the show plays it for me. That being the case, it's difficult to take a hard look at what is in the film. So most of my conclusions are, as I alluded to, based on what's not in the film.
Yes, don't go back and analyze. Just get impressions and remember.

Quote:
Ep 2 down.

Much better episode. Apparently I gave up on this show when it originally aired based on the strength, or lack thereof, of the first ep, which I was remembering as it plodded forward. Ep 2 is all new to me.
Really I wasn't even hooked yet at this point. I think it's 1-2 more episodes before I started being into it.
Give it time.

Quote:
Mostly enjoyable with a couple hiccups. I'll start with the hiccups since most people wanna hear the bad news first.

Frank, whose name was the first I could remember because it is spoken more than any other,
I just will never be able to get over that there is a character named "Frank Frink." Seriously. In my head he became Frankenfrinker, and I don't even know why, but he will always be Frankenfrinker to me.

Quote:

does not show up for work. His coworker arrives at work and finds out that Frank is a no call no show. He the goes straight away to Frank's place to check on him. Cut to Canon City where Juliana takes a mid morning/early afternoon break from work which she uses to call Frank at their shared apartment.

Why would she think Frank would be there? How could she not know his work schedule of his steady job? Shit like this is annoying. So stupid.

The shootout was yet again awful. The dialogue is still bad.

Okay, now for the stuff that I enjoyed digesting.

The man in the high castle, the oracle, the bookstore owner... fair amount of mystique going on here.
Much mystique going on.

Quote:

Who put the 3 phony reels in Trudy's bag? If they were there before Juliana took possession of them she would have watched them all. Actually, with the way that scene where she watched them was cut, maybe she did watch them all. If so, how did she know which one to keep or was that just dumb luck?

Or, Juliana put the decoy tapes in the bag just in case something like this happened. This seems unlikely given her the short amount of time that had passed.

Or, maybe the girl that stole the bag put them there. Then she intentionally got herself caught knowing that the Japs would find them, see they were phony, and call off the hunt for Juliana.
I think this is explained but I honestly don't remember. It's not terribly important.

Quote:
The girl that stole her bag, German agent? Neutral zone pirate? Resistance fighter? I'm going with resistance fighter, and I'm going with the later of my assumptions about the whole situation.

The firing squad is called off but Frank's sister's family is killed anyway. Brutal.
Yeah that was seriously messed up.

You haven't mentioned Kido at all-- the Japanese guy with the glasses and the constant strained grimace. He's by far my favorite character on the show.

Quote:
Juliana's aikido comes in handy as she tosses a presumably highly trained SD officer off the bridge. Odd that she chose the bridge on which her and Joe Blake shared a bonding moment. There's a few potential reasons she might have done that but I figure it's the closest place outside of town that's within walking distance that she knows about. So then Joe Blake rescues her, which would have happened no matter where the meeting was. They exit the scene together but she leaves Frank's sketch of her behind, only to be found by........

Joe Blake breaks into presumably the SD officers dwelling and watches a film that is not shown to us the audience. Same film Juliana has? Probably but that's only an assumption. Joe Blake seems like he could turn in any which direction. He's gonna do what he thinks best.
Ah, the other film.

Quote:

Joe Blake is 27 years old. The war ended in 1952 as mentioned by someone in ep 1. Joe has never known freedom and therefore was probably born as or after the war ended. This would make the approximate year 1980. That number won't be off by much given that Joe continually mentions his father's involvement in the war and seems to lament the road which that has led him down.
I think it's actually not quite that late. I think he was being dramatic with the "never known freedom" shit. He was a kid when the war started and I think in his teens when it ended. I don't know the exact year but more like late 60's, I believe-- like just over 10-15 years since the war ended. Most people on the show remember the war, and remember before it.

Now that I think about it... Julianna was like, in her teens or almost, near the end of the war. So yeah, it hasn't been THAT long.

Quote:

His father must be someone prominent. Hitler himself? The Nazi officer? Rommel? Eisenhower? Patton?
Hmmm.

Quote:
I hope they show the film again.
The films are everything.

Old 01-14-18, 07:08 PM   #9
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Kido and the other higher ups aren't developed at all yet. Short scenes where they talk big ideas. I will say that during ep 2 I began wondering if he knows something no one else knows. The show is giving Kido just a tad bit more screen time than the others.
Old 01-14-18, 07:17 PM   #10
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Kido and the other higher ups aren't developed at all yet. Short scenes where they talk big ideas. I will say that during ep 2 I began wondering if he knows something no one else knows. The show is giving Kido just a tad bit more screen time than the others.
It's because he's awesome.

He and Tagomi, the other higher-up.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »