Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NFL Thread Pt. II

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 03-01-09, 06:18 PM   #1
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.
NFL Thread Pt. II

Something New. We are into the 2009 NFL season now, and this thread has been added to the Featured Threads Module. New members, feel free to join the discussion and give a shout for your favorite team.

Archiving the old thread in compliance with the board's new 5000 posts per thread limit and continuing the discussion here.

For continuity of the current discussion here's the last few posts spoiler tagged by author:

Spoiler: soup
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidermanHouston View Post
The Patriots were ripped off by only getting a second round pick. Who cares if Cassel was a seventh round pick. Tom Brady was a sixth round pick. They could have gotten more.
I'm sure they shopped him, considered all offers, and took the best one going. I think to say they got "ripped off" is an overstatement. You don't see a lot of people getting second round picks, even the 2nd or 3rd pick of that round, for a backup QB. I think they got great value. Cassel is no Brady. He had a nice year, but the stink during last year's training camp was that he may not even make the team. The Pats liked Kevin O'Connell from SD St. a lot. It will be interesting to see how Cassel handles playing on a team that where he is not surrounded by players who are used to winning Super Bowls.

I guess they should've held out for Tony Gonzalez?

Spoiler: Peggy Sawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
I guess the addition of Cassel to the deal bums you out more?

This is a great deal for the Pats. They need to get younger at LB, and Vrabel was the only older guy with value. Think about it, the Pats parlayed a 33 yr. old LB and a 7th rd./backup QB for a HIGH second rd. pick.

I loved Vrabel, too. He's going to be a head Coach someday. The Pats realize it's time to retool.

I would not underestimate the Baker signing. It frees Watson up, like when they had Dan Graham.

Gaffney? The system made him, not vice versa. Quick, name one former Pats WR since Brady who has left and actually equalled his output with another team. You can't, it doesn't exist. Branch-nothing, givens-less than nothing, Patten-OK, but not as good, Stallworth- you get the point. We'll pick up someone and plug them in just fine, it's only a #3 reveiver.
I'll grant you Gaffney, soup, but honestly, you are an extraordinary optimist to call this a great deal for the Pats. The one thing we got out of last season was trade bait for this season, and we gave it away! CASSEL and VRABEL for pick # 34????? Is Scott Pioli really smarter than Bill Belichick?

I'm reeling, really. I never doubt the Patriots, but this is devastating. We don't need to rebuild quite this much. If we're going to dump salaries, we should be out signing, and the Pats haven't gone after any major names with intensity yet.

Sorry, but Pats Nation is miserable today.

Spoiler: soup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sawyer View Post
I'll grant you Gaffney, soup, but honestly, you are an extraordinary optimist to call this a great deal for the Pats. The one thing we got out of last season was trade bait for this season, and we gave it away! CASSEL and VRABEL for pick # 34????? Is Scott Pioli really smarter than Bill Belichick?

I'm reeling, really. I never doubt the Patriots, but this is devastating. We don't need to rebuild quite this much. If we're going to dump salaries, we should be out signing, and the Pats haven't gone after any major names with intensity yet.

Sorry, but Pats Nation is miserable today.
One thing I do know is that teams that spend a ton of money in FA's don't tend to win the following year. When's the last time the Redskins were actually a threat to win the Super Bowl with Snyder spending billions?

Pick #34 is high value. What exactly did you expect for Cassel? A first round pick? Don't you think if the Pats could have gotten a better pick, they would have?

They do need to retool, especially at LB. They were way too old and slow. Bruschi has no value outside NE (sad to say) and hasn't been the same the last couple years. Mayo is ready to bust out, AD is coming back, I say the Pats draft some more defense help and pluck some more vets like Taylor for supporting roles.
Noone was trading us a 1st Round pick for Cassel, that's a fact. We tend to get sentimental toward our championship heroes and hang on to the memory too long (ala the Celts of the eighties).

We don't need major names with intensity, because we have a solid core on D. We need to keep improving LB and CB, maybe O-line, too. You'll see, this won't flesh out until the season, but, unless they pull a Chad Jackson fiasco again, this will be a nice move. What is the proof that Cassel will even be that great in KC? Remember the league has a long history of teams trading for fledgeling backups who we think are on the verge (Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub) who don't always pan out.

Spoiler: Tater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sawyer View Post
Pats Nation is miserable today.
Music to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
Remember the league has a long history of teams trading for fledgeling backups who we think are on the verge (Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub) who don't always pan out.
Say what you will about Rob Johnson but ya can't take that Super Bowl ring off his finger.

Spoiler: Peggy Sawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Say what you will about Rob Johnson but ya can't take that Super Bowl ring off his finger.
He'd have ended up with another if Wade Phillips had played Doug Flutie INSTEAD of big, bumbling Rob in the "Music City Miracle" wild-card game...a travesty I still can't forget.

Here's the url of the old thread for anyone wishing to reference any posts: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7892

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23

Last edited by TheBigCat; 09-27-09 at 11:26 AM.
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-09, 09:52 PM   #2
Tater
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via Yahoo to Tater Send a message via Skype™ to Tater
Re: The NFL Thread Pt. II

*ahem*

Lions and Chiefs in the next Super Bowl!!!!!!!!
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-09, 11:01 PM   #3
Tater
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Ohhhh..... I know somebody who will be happy!

*coughcoughBuckycough*

Housh to the Seahawks!
Old 03-03-09, 01:37 AM   #4
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Didn't want to post anything for fear of jinxing it. Was out and about today, stopped in at a store in between busses, ran into an old friend who was working the til there. He was reading the morning paper and the article was about the huge welcome wagon that the Vikes laid out for Housh over the weekend. Thing was, the Vikes laid out the fancy spread but the Hawks laid out the moolah.

To make up for letting Rocky Bernard slip away to the Giants on free agency (enjoy, Emi) they signed former Pack DL Colin Cole. That's the first defensive free agent signing for the team in almost two years. Expect more.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-09, 04:32 PM   #5
Tater
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

(The Cowboys): Hey T.O.! Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-09, 04:56 PM   #6
TheWatcher
BANNED
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post

(The Cowboys): Hey T.O.! Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!!!!!!!!

seriously they need to kick Wade to the curb as well...even the Redskins won't touch TO!
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-09, 05:26 PM   #7
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

Ya know the Steelers wouldn't let him near their practice squad.
We already got a great receiver who shows up to play everyday & doesn't complain.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-09, 05:37 PM   #8
soup
Holds Darlton Under..Forever
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

No good team in their right mind would actually sign him and his alligator arms.

Chargers are just desperate enough and on the cusp. When Vincent Jackson is your best WR, you know you need help. Then he and LT can sit together and pout.
Old 03-05-09, 07:27 PM   #9
Mysterious Mike
Sexy Beast
Talks Backwards

The most logical place for T.O. to land would be Oakland. I still think he has some very productive years left but his reputation isn't gonna let him play where he wants.

A wildcard guess for his next stop could be Chicago , the Bears have nothing to lose on offense and they have some good team leaders in place.
Mysterious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-09, 09:34 PM   #10
soup
Holds Darlton Under..Forever
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Mike View Post
The most logical place for T.O. to land would be Oakland. I still think he has some very productive years left but his reputation isn't gonna let him play where he wants.

A wildcard guess for his next stop could be Chicago , the Bears have nothing to lose on offense and they have some good team leaders in place.
The Bears are lacking one thing TO will cover: a quality QB. By quality, I mean an arm with some length to it's throws.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion »