Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NBA/WNBA Thread

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 09-30-17, 10:24 PM   #2861
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: NBA/WNBA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Wade took less money to go play with The King again. The Cavs are gonna be impressively deep this year, i look forward to seeing them, except at MSG. I don't think anybody can stop a healthy Warriors team this year, but a healthy Cavs team should pwn the East. Here's hoping both teams stay healthy...
You know Mr Mo, I was trying to figure out their starting 5, and I got nowhere. Oh BA!

Quote:
...Big ups to Russell Westbrook on a massive 5-year extension worth ~ $205M, signed while he still he had a year left on his current contract...
Honestly, I like what the Thunder have done this offseason.

Signing both George and 'Melo says, they're not giving in to the Warriors, and good for them. Now, it probably won't make a difference, but I'm curious to know how these three guys are going to work together. Is 'Melo willing to acquiesce to the other two for the betterment of the Team?
Old 10-17-17, 10:18 PM   #2862
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

NBA season kicks off tonight on TNT. Houston Rockets vs. Golden State Warriors. Oh Liz!
Old 10-17-17, 11:20 PM   #2863
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Hodge, i'm not sure exactly what they'll do when Thomas is resting, and i've heard a LOT of differing opinions on what the Cavs starters should be. Imo, it looks like the nominal starters should be: Thomas, Wade, James, Crowder, and Love. I would think that Derrick Rose will get the point while Thomas heals, but Rose can't take too many minutes himself, so J.R. Smith might come in at the 2 and we could see Wade or even King James playing the point...

Here's an interesting starting lineup for you: James, Wade, Corver, Crowder, Love. Or put Thompson at center, start Corver on the bench, and let Love play power forward.

When i look at that roster, the possibilities are almost overwhelming. I mean, LBJ could conceivably play any position, though obviously he's never the best option for the 2 or 5 unless there are more injuries than the team could sustain. Love is a versatile player too, he's solid at the post and has a nice outside shot although he really has no mid-range jumper. And they have four guards who are each solid at both the one and the two.

But it might not be all that complicated as the season progresses. Thomas is expected to return to 100%, but i doubt anybody expects Rose to ever blossom into what his potential once was. He's still a valuable asset, but he has to be handled carefully. And the other two really good guards are Wade and Smith, who are both still good enough to start on most NBA teams, but are also both past their prime.

Anyway, that's my two cents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-17, 12:55 AM   #2864
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Hodge, i'm not sure exactly what they'll do when Thomas is resting, and i've heard a LOT of differing opinions on what the Cavs starters should be. Imo, it looks like the nominal starters should be: Thomas, Wade, James, Crowder, and Love. I would think that Derrick Rose will get the point while Thomas heals, but Rose can't take too many minutes himself, so J.R. Smith might come in at the 2 and we could see Wade or even King James playing the point...
Yeah, I've heard Rose will probably start in IT's stead.

Which should put Wade at the "2", James at the "3". I got'a believe "King" James will let Love play the "4" and Thompson the "5". Remember, Tristan has a Kardashian baby on the way. He'll need as much "away time" as possible.

Crowder is definitely going to be an asset for the Cavs. He may not have an outside shot, but he can rebound with the best of them. When Love needs a blow, Crowder will come in and clean both ends of the glass.

I think you're right about J.R. Smith. He'll come in and relieve Rose, pushing Wade to the "1" and J.R. to the "2". But, as you mentioned, although Scottie Pipen perfected the Point-Forward, no one does it better than LBJ today.
Old 10-18-17, 02:50 AM   #2865
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Given equal minutes, Thomson would pull down more rebounds than Love, and i think he's a better defender than Love, too, but i think this team will more often be looking for offense first, and Love is better at scoring in the paint and he can drain 3's from the corners like nobody's business. I expect Thomson will see plenty of minutes overall, and probably even spend a bunch of them on the court at the same time as Love, but i think Love will be their primary starting center assuming he stays healthy. Thomson could get starts when the staff want a more defensive-oriented starting five on the floor. Don't forget Corver, Crowder, Shumpert, and Frye are all on the roster too, and a few younger big guys too , and i don't see a good reason not to spread the minutes around, especially early in the season, to look for matchups and chemistry.

Also as far as guards, with IT and Rose both needing limited minutes, at least early in the season, and Wade and Smith getting long in the teeth, we'll see some of Jose Calderon off the bench, and some of those smaller forwards might pull time on the 2 as well.

That's all just speculation of course. With so many talented big men on the roster, i think LBJ will potentially see the fewest minutes per game of any year in his career yet, and as he's not getting any younger, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The goal for this team, like many other teams in the association, is to take down the Dubs. I don't see it happening if Golden State stays healthy, but lawd knows i've been wrong before.

The complexity of the game has really moved beyond the point where the numbers/positions matter as much as they used to. A team still needs a point guard, a shooter, and a couple of solid big guys to be competitive, but often these days those roles overlap, hence my suggested lineup putting LBJ at the point - he'd still play pretty much the way he always has, except he'd bring the ball up the court a little more often than he usually does; that might slow the game down a bit, which could be helpful against the younger aggressive uptempo teams like the Celtics. I'm not saying that i think it's likely, just that it's an interesting possibility. I think we're likely to see different starting lineups against different teams, at least as long as IT is still healing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-17, 07:22 AM   #2866
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Billiards Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Pool Jam - 10 Minute Game Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Archery 2000 Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Glum Ball Glumballs Champion! Glum Ball_v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Glum Ball Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Sacred Symbols Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Chap Hai Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!

I'm so depressed after Hayward's injury. I was so excited for this season. Poor guy.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-17, 06:36 PM   #2867
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Given equal minutes, Thomson would pull down more rebounds than Love, and i think he's a better defender than Love, too, but i think this team will more often be looking for offense first, and Love is better at scoring in the paint and he can drain 3's from the corners like nobody's business. I expect Thomson will see plenty of minutes overall, and probably even spend a bunch of them on the court at the same time as Love, but i think Love will be their primary starting center assuming he stays healthy. Thomson could get starts when the staff want a more defensive-oriented starting five on the floor. Don't forget Corver, Crowder, Shumpert, and Frye are all on the roster too, and a few younger big guys too , and i don't see a good reason not to spread the minutes around, especially early in the season, to look for matchups and chemistry...
This is a good point.

It's just the beginning of the season, it's going to take a while to see what "5" feels and looks good on the court. Mix & Match!

Staying healthy is still going to be the number one thing for all the Teams in the League.

Now, speaking of staying healty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
I'm so depressed after Hayward's injury. I was so excited for this season. Poor guy.
FF, I've only seen the injury once, and it was hard to watch then. Just damn!