Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 02-17-18, 11:29 PM   #91
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Re: Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Quote:
19:12: The look on Walt's face as the injection hits him is euphoria - i've seen that look on the face of needle freaks a few times in my life. Is he getting heavy sedatives and/or opiates mixed in with the poisons?
I wonder? Get him a little high before his on-his-knees lows.

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 01:39 AM   #92
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Pilot

First, Teachers need to be paid a lot more than they do!... let me get that out of the way.
Literally the OP's first comment on the first episode of the series.

And well said sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Pilot

[...]

"Here, honey, here's a halfhearted handjob while i nag you about other shit, happy birthday!" Skylar has some great moments throughout the series, but man she's about impossible to actually like.
For Vonne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Subbing.

I may watch along a bit, too. I've only seen it once straight through, and then random episodes re-watched.
So you're not exactly an expert? *eyebrow* Sky may be difficult to like; she's harder to love but impossible to not respect, grammar be damned.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #93
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
But I wonder if there’s more backstory to why Walt is teaching rather than in the private sector. Even a brilliant chemist has to get along with his coworkers. Look at how terrible his relationship is with his car wash boss, and with his, um, colleagues in the meth trade. He probably doesn’t get along with Wynn High’s principal, either, but as a teacher he gets a certain level of autonomy

[...]

Mr. Mo, I think Walt is prone to over-react to anything that he thinks hints at condescension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
"Sometimes it feels better not to talk at all about anything to anyone," Walt says in group therapy. I feel like this foreshadows certain elements in a way, though "foreshadow" isn't really the term i want at the moment.
Spoiler: Season 3 spoilers
Walt had an odd relationship with his first lab helper under Gus's laundromat, Gale (sp?). I feel like what Walt is expressing in the quote here in season 1 is a sentiment that Gale would share, and that they understood that about each other semi-intuitively.
There's a bit of synchronicity here with the first quoted part of Pi-o-my's post.

As for the second part, he didn't used to be (eta: prone to such, that is). He couldn't have been. A guy with a piece of a Nobel doesn't teach high school chemistry without a strong sense of humility. Hey, looking the reaper in those eyeless sockets changes a person. But of course Walt's change started before the diagnosis. As someone who has accepted middle-age, i understand that intuitively, and i don't know of any way to TEACH that perspective, but it's clear both "in real life" and in Breaking Bad, that everybody reaches that realization alone, assuming they live long enough.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; Today at 02:02 AM.
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #94
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

S2E1 Seven Thirty Seven

We open with a black and white view of Walt's backyard and pool. We see a plastic eyeball floating in the pool and being sucked into the filter catch. As the camera submerges we see the source of the eyeball, a half-burnt pink stuffed animal. If I had to guess, Schindler's List was the inspiration for this opening style, a splash of color where it counts.

The scene that we left off in the finale is replayed, Walt and Jesse are still in the junkyard reeling from "No Doze's" beating. In the car, Walt is calculating in his head how much money he needs to secure his family's future, it comes to exactly $737k, hence the title. The title also foreshadows another storyline that cuts through the entire season. Walt calculates that they will have to deal with Tuco 11 more times to get that amount. ( I remember the first time I saw this scene as they were dawdling in the junkyard, I yelled at the screen, 'get the hell out of there, do this somewhere else', because I just knew that Tuco would be back). And sure enough, he comes roaring back with a dying No-Doze. Funny how Tuco mistakes a chemist for a medical doctor, "hey you're smart, do something!" No-Doze dies and Tuco blames ND for not being able to take a beating and then commences to kick the hell out of the corpse. Then Tuco tells Gonzo to get rid of the body. It's cool that Gonzo has some respect for the dead, but after Tuco asks him sternly if he's arguing, Gonzo shoves the body under a very unstable stack of cars. Walt asks Tuco if they are done and Tuco goes over to Jesse and says "you're done" and shoves him to the ground as he is leaving for the car. He definitely has it in for Jesse. Now that they are witnesses to a murder and threatened by Tuco, they are in survival mode, which is the main focus of this episode.

Then we have a weird scene when Walt comes home and forces himself on a green-faced Skyler in the kitchen. Apparently she's wearing avocado paste. After Walt goes too far, Skyler has to sternly tell him to stop. Apparently being threatened by Tuco is also a sexual turn-on for Walt besides "getting away with it". Out at the pool after things cool down, Skyler says she understands but not to take his anger out on her, referring to his anger over his diagnoses.

That night, Jesse buys a hand gun at "The Dog House" and the next day tells Walt that Tuco is stalking him and he needs to take him out. With an inexplicable attitude, Walt asks Jesse to go through the details on how he plans to kill Tuco with his gun. He knocks down all of Jesse's scenarios. At this point I think it is because it is Jesse who is threatened, and not himself and he didn't want to be in the crossfire. However he is happy to take Jesse's gun when his own life and family are in danger, leaving Jesse defenseless.

Meanwile Skyler refuses to answer any of Marie's calls. During a conversation between Hank and Marie outside of their home, we find out that Marie has been seeing a therapist about her kleptomania but she has not been going. A neighbor kid is is driving a remote control car and Marie intentionally drives over it on the way out. Poor kid.

Back at the DEA office Hank and Gomez watch the surveillance video of the methlymine heist and are entertained by the ineptitude of the thieves. Funny exchanges between the two. Love Hank's line, "Try rolling it you morons, it's a barrel - it rolls". Apparently methlymine was used in old school biker meth", according to Hank. He says the thieves know their chemistry but have no street smarts.

Constant hang-ups on Marie forces Hank to visit Skyler to plead with her to talk to Marie. He admits that he knows about Marie's kleptomania and she needs everyone's support, which pisses Skyler off. She responds with a great rant:

"I need support. Me, the almost 40-year old pregnant woman with the surprise baby on the way. And the husband with lung cancer who disappears for hours on end and I don't know where he goes and he barely even speaks to me anymore. With the moody son who does the same thing. And the overdrawn checking account. And the lukewarm water heater that leaks rusty looking crap and is rotting out the floor of the utility closet and we can't even afford to fix it! But OH, I see! Now I'm supposed to go, "Hank, please, what can I possibly do to further benefit my spoiled, kleptomaniac bitch sister who somehow always manages to be the center of attention?" 'Cause God knows she's the one with the really important problems!"

Hank awkwardly hugs an tries to comfort Skyler and offers to take a look at the water heater problem.

Walt notices a black SUV parked down the street as he drives in and then stays up all night keeping watch. Later he asks Jesse if he gave Tuco any personal information about him. Jesse says Tuco is closing in and tells Walt to get a gun for himself. Walt comes up with an idea of making Ricin to mix in with the next meth sample.

Walt proceeds to make the Ricin. He receives a call from Hank from the junkyard crime scene to apologize about upsetting Skyler and then sends a pic of the dead Gonzo. Walt and Jesse think Tuco is cleaning up the witnesses and they're next. In actuality, we find out that Gonzo went back to the junkyard to properly attend to No-Doze's body, and while retrieving it, the stack of cars shifted and collapsed on his arms and he bled to death. Both Walt and Jesse are freaking out and this is where Walt takes Jesse's gun, yes Walt as usual perceives his life is more important than Jesse's. He tells Jesse to pack and leave town. Walt rushes back home to find an apparently empty house. He finds that Skyler is taking a bath and Jr. is at a friend's house. He hurredly grabs the money out of the stash and puts it and the gun in a diaper box. (Not quite sure of the point of that.) While Skyler and Walt are talking in the bathroom, Walt's burner phone rings, Jesse is outside. Walt races out to confront Jesse and finds Tuco in the back seat. We end with "Get in!"

As far as music, nothing really stands out in this episode, in fact there was a noticeable lack of music in this episode.

As far as podcast notes, I'll spoiler tag them because in my experience, some folks don't like the "magic" spoiled. One thing of note from "The Insider's Podcast" is that

Spoiler: Insider's Podcast
the first season was cut short because of a writer's strike. Apparently they had two additional scripts in process that would have concluded Season 1. Vince says that they were great stories, however in hindsight, it would have moved Walt's character too far ahead and too quickly. He's happy that fate stepped in and prevented it. He says that sometimes as a showrunner it's tempting to throw everything at the audience on a brand new series.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; Today at 06:14 PM.
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #95
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

What I like is the episode title. 737. Sounds like a plane.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 03:41 PM   #96
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Yes, and Gilligan loves to play with episode titles.

Spoiler: S2 episode titles code
Four S2 episode titles when strung together read, "Seven Thirty Seven Down Over ABQ"

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #97
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

That's awesome.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »