Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Warty's Sandman FR - The Doll's House

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 06-19-17, 04:29 AM   #61
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR

Wow..

The final issue of Preludes and Nocturnes.

Started... interesting it was 3 birds... It seemed there were 3 birds different from the rest of the pigeons, but maybe that was just me..

I can tell he is contemplating his changing before he even mentions about how he felt extracting revenge (not as satisfying).

Funny.. Dream being introspective. Angsty even.. like my teenage son.

When he talked about recovering the part of himself that was in the Ruby, I think he had forgotten some of what he had put in there. How much..

I found it interesting she referred to him as an anthropomorphic personification... traits.. emotions.. fears... the inner streams of consciousness... maybe there is more to my Faulkner thoughts..

Franklin.. if you only knew who it was speaking to you...

I liked Dream saying he was far more terrible than her... in many ways, yes. Death after all is a gift. Some thoughts here... Death seems completely pleasant.. no vindictiveness.. no anger.. no hate. Interesting that she mentioned she didn't quite get why people felt about her they way they do. I have found it very intriguing that the Endless don't really understand those which their responsibilities revolve. They do their thing, but don't really seem to totally "get" humans.

The baby dying... asking if that was all the time they got.. that was oddly powerful. Also I thought it important to show Death coming to the different types... the violin player.. the comedian.. the baby... the heroin addict. She comes for us all. I also like how her name was never spoken. I remember something I once read that said Death's name not being spoken, but I can't remember what it was from and I am sure it is coincidence.

She helped him remember his responsibility, and remember Franklin... you never want to hear Death say she will see you soon.

This issue seemed to really develop the character of Dream.. streams of consciousness as we see his thoughts.. or at least know he is deep IN thought. Interesting as the only conflict in this chapter seemed to be the internal.

One other thing from the art.. as Dream rediscovered his purpose, the artwork became more colorful.. almost like spring after many pages of winter.

What a great ending chapter. This was a total home run. Death... she freakin' loves Mary Poppins.

I heard the sound of her wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-17, 11:10 AM   #62
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
I'm sure, but as much as some think so many themes come from Shakespeare, most can be found to predate him and/or his contemporaries.

I can't argue with that. A lot can be traced directly or indirectly back to the Ancient Greek theatre, which i think contain the oldest written performances that we still have. If i recall correctly. a lot of their playwrights openly admitted to plagiarism or at least being derivative too.

So in an important way, we can see being creative as finding new uses for old materials, or some similar metaphor.

________

I truly enjoyed your write-up for The Sound of Her Wings. It was the first episode of the series that i really truly enjoyed cover-to-cover my first time through. Looking back, i love the way that it develops the relationship of the personalities of Dream and Death. I feel like she did more than just remind of his responsibilities; she rejuvenated him in a way. It had a wonderfully dysfunctional older sister/ younger brother feel to it.

Death really is the "nice" one. I'm not going to spoil anything by going into any of the other Endless. You'll meet them in time. Death may not be the only one you like, she might not even be the only one you think is "nice." But i love that she took the time to offer her little brother exactly what he needed (some perspective, some affection, and a kick in the ass) exactly when he needed it.

I can't wait to see your write-ups of some of the better books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 06-19-17 at 11:12 AM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-17, 12:22 PM   #63
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Wow..

The final issue of Preludes and Nocturnes.

Started... interesting it was 3 birds... It seemed there were 3 birds different from the rest of the pigeons, but maybe that was just me..

I can tell he is contemplating his changing before he even mentions about how he felt extracting revenge (not as satisfying).

Funny.. Dream being introspective. Angsty even.. like my teenage son.

When he talked about recovering the part of himself that was in the Ruby, I think he had forgotten some of what he had put in there. How much..

I found it interesting she referred to him as an anthropomorphic personification... traits.. emotions.. fears... the inner streams of consciousness... maybe there is more to my Faulkner thoughts..

Franklin.. if you only knew who it was speaking to you...

I liked Dream saying he was far more terrible than her... in many ways, yes. Death after all is a gift. Some thoughts here... Death seems completely pleasant.. no vindictiveness.. no anger.. no hate. Interesting that she mentioned she didn't quite get why people felt about her they way they do. I have found it very intriguing that the Endless don't really understand those which their responsibilities revolve. They do their thing, but don't really seem to totally "get" humans.

The baby dying... asking if that was all the time they got.. that was oddly powerful. Also I thought it important to show Death coming to the different types... the violin player.. the comedian.. the baby... the heroin addict. She comes for us all. I also like how her name was never spoken. I remember something I once read that said Death's name not being spoken, but I can't remember what it was from and I am sure it is coincidence.

She helped him remember his responsibility, and remember Franklin... you never want to hear Death say she will see you soon.

This issue seemed to really develop the character of Dream.. streams of consciousness as we see his thoughts.. or at least know he is deep IN thought. Interesting as the only conflict in this chapter seemed to be the internal.

One other thing from the art.. as Dream rediscovered his purpose, the artwork became more colorful.. almost like spring after many pages of winter.

What a great ending chapter. This was a total home run. Death... she freakin' loves Mary Poppins.

I heard the sound of her wings.

I almost have nothing to add to this.

Except how much I love the relationship between Death and Morpheus. It's my second-favorite relationship in the books. You'll see my favorite start in the next book.

And lol at "angsty... like my teenage son."
Yes, he can be like that. To the point of absurdity, at times. This was just a minor "Oh, Morpheus in a funk again" episode.

Big Sis snapped him out of it, though.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-17, 02:30 PM   #64
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

I never really thought about the 3 birds before. Now it's nagging at me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-17, 07:39 PM   #65
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR - The Doll's House

The Doll's House begins tonight.
Old 06-21-17, 07:45 PM   #66
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

YAYYYYYYYY

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 06-21-17, 08:16 PM   #67
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Yeah.. I'm pretty excited. I had withdrawals, but I've got the next 3 in possession.
Old 06-21-17, 08:39 PM   #68
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

NICE.

The first four are kind of a "set" in my head, anyway.

The fifth one
Spoiler: no actual spoilers, just the structure

Is a stand-alone story in-universe but with new characters and only a cameo from our protagonist

The sixth one
Spoiler: no actual spoilers, just the structure

is short story collection that bridges the first books and the last books

The seventh, ninth, and tenth belong together in a set.
I guess the eighth as well, but the eighth one is crap. IMO. Mo disagrees.

Old 06-22-17, 04:15 AM   #69
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

*waiting*

Old 06-22-17, 05:04 AM   #70
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

One thing that has struck me is the freedom of the medium... The graphic novel environment affords the writer a certain amount of release from convention that other forms do not.

Tales in the Sand.

Nada, a creature of such beauty that only a Dream can suit her. It is a tribute to the writing that the relationship became so intriguing earlier. It was a big deal to me then and it seems a big deal overall.

The berry.. almost like the forbidden fruit.. and so much symbolism here about this story being told from HIS POV. There's a giant phallus on panel 1!

Wow.. love story... Biblical destruction to go along with that forbidden fruit.

In a sense it seems I was correct about why he would not forgive her.

I loved the POV commentary about the womens version being different which is very inyeresting. This is a story passed down from generation to generation, but is it accurate? Has the story changed any after so many tellings? .. what of the women's POV?

Interesting.. Does Dream choose how he appears.. or do we choose?

Dream was in the wrong here, but it was Desire.. and desire is cruel. The Endless are not human, but isn't what happened here quintessentially human?

I certainly hope part of his change is an ability to forgive when he said he would not.

A strong beginning, imho.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »