Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > American Gods - Starz Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 06-19-17, 12:58 PM   #101
Dark Side Of The Moon
Burned the Raft

Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Now THAT was a fantastic episode!
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-17, 10:25 PM   #102
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

First off, I will probably die if there's not a 2nd season of this splendid new series.

I've enjoyed every minute. Well, that's not exactly true. I've actually enjoyed every second.

Secondly, what a great season finale. Things were left at the perfect place to pick up next season, so I'm waiting with bated breath.

The finale starts out with a visit from the debonair Mr. Nancy. He's making custom suits for Mr. Wednesday and Shadow out of spider silk. I mean, there's spiders everywhere. Now, we all know, where there's Mr. Nancy, there's usually a story. This one involves our neighborhood sex-goddess, Bilquis.

This story takes place somewhere in, I assume Egypt. The time, again I assume, is ancient time.

There's an orgy taking place which makes perfect sense because of Bilquis. There's both nude men and women involved. Bilquir apparently catches the eye of an admirer who apparently thinks he can take all that Bilquis can dish out. Wrong! He's devoured along with all of the participants in the orgy.

Mr. Nancy comes up with a moral to the story that makes perfect sense. Woman can lead men around by their noses. He tells Shadow, we need a Queen.

You might ask, why does the old Gods need a Queen. They've already got Bilquis on their side. At the end of Mr. Nancy's story we see the reason why.

She begins to loose favor as she migrates thru time. We're shown a lot of the loss comes on the heels of the AIDS epidemic.

She's shown pushing a shopping cart like a homeless person, watching the demolishing of her temple back in Egypt.

But, she has a savior. None other than Techno-Boy. He puts her back on a pedestal by giving her a cellphone. Her repayment! Her loyalty to the "new" Gods. That's why Mr. Wednesday needs a new Queen.

The episode moves next to the continuation of Mr. Wednesday and Shadow's road trip. They're headed to Kentucky. I thought the big showdown was taking place in Wisconsin?

We find out Kentucky is the home of Ostara. She's better known as Easter. HMoG!

What a beautiful place she has. It also, apparently, happens to be Easter. She's celebrating her day. There's rabbits everywhere, along with beautiful people. One of those people happens to be, Jesus. Which is where the title of the episode comes from.

There's Jesus' everywhere. All kinds with differing faces. It seems Jesus is different to just about all people. I'm watching this with my jaw on the floor.

The Jesus Shadow recognizes even has a lighted halo. This is the same Jesus I've recognized from birth. What an amazing episode.

What cracked me up, was the obvious attached between Ostara (Easter) and Shadow. I also remembered something Mr. Wednesday told him. "I want you to be charming, but not that charming." Well, it didn't work. She's completely smitten.

Now things get really An old beat-up ice cream truck pulls up the the Kentucky mansion, and who do you suspect gets out? That's right, Laura Moon has come to get her man. Flies and all!

It's revolting to me and probably everyone, but I can't help but love seeing Laura. The sound of the flies buzzing around her head gets me every time. That, and the flies themselves buzzing around. What I find even funnier, we never see anyone swatting them away. Not even Laura.

Mr. Wednesday has his crows, I mean ravens. Easter has bunny rabbits. She gets the news that someone in an old dirty ice cream truck has pulled up in the driveway. She excuses herself to both Mr. Wednesday and Shadow.

We find out early in the introductions that Easter doesn't particularly like Mad Sweeney, but he calls in a favor she owes him.

"I don't want to be dead anymore", declares Laura Moon. "You mean, Moon as the wife of Shadow?" It seems, Easter has some competition for the charming Shadow Moon.

After she examines Laura, she realizes she's dead because of none other than Mad Sweeney. This makes a lot of sense now. Remember, it was Mad Sweeney who had the chance of recovering his coin from the dead-twice Laura. But, instead put it back in her body which revived her again.

After Easter informs Laura she won't be able to give her back her life because it was taken by a God, she confronts Mad Sweeney. Confronts is probably not a strong enough word.

She grabs him by the testicles and lifts him up a wall, holding him there until she gets some answers.

He finally confesses it was Mr. Wednesday who wanted her dead. Now, I suspected this from the beginning, but it doesn't answer the question, why?

The episode continues at its exulted heights, as the Gillian Anderson's character (not sure who she was suppose to be this time around) shows up. She's accompanied by some faceless characters in tux's. Later, we find out, one of the tuxedoed characters is Mr. World.

Then, all HELL breaks loose! The Gillian Anderson character, Techno-Boy and Mr. World try to convince Easter to come to their side. This is going on while Mr. Wednesday is doing the same.

Mr. Wednesday, who brings about several lightening bolts to bare, kills all of the faceless tuedoed men. He turns to Shadow and asks, "do you really want to know who I am?" He declares, "I'm Odin!" He then urges Easter to take her rightful place.

She steps forward and turns everything, I mean, everything barren. What an amazing cinematic shot.

I almost forgot.

After Mr. Wednesday sends the new Gods running for cover he tells them to tell everyone, "if you want your spring back, pray for it."

But, before Mr. Wednesday can fully celebrate his victory, he's interrupted by Laura, who politely tells him, "Id like to have a word with my husband." Holy !

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 06-19-17 at 11:25 PM.
Hodgepodge is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-17, 02:13 AM   #103
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I'm just sitting here going f-ing crazy because WE HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO WISCONSIN YET.

This is going to need three seasons, not two.

There's still so much story.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-17, 02:20 AM   #104
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
First off, I will probably die if there's not a 2nd season of this splendid new series.
Second season already confirmed, iirc.

Quote:
The finale starts out with a visit from the debonair Mr. Nancy. He's making custom suits for Mr. Wednesday and Shadow out of spider silk. I mean, there's spiders everywhere. Now, we all know, where there's Mr. Nancy, there's usually a story. This one involves our neighborhood sex-goddess, Bilquis.
The one thing I hate about this season is, THAT IS ALL WE GET OF ANANSI? Two measly scenes?
I want more Mr. Nancy next season. A lot more.

Quote:
This story takes place somewhere in, I assume Egypt. The time, again I assume, is ancient time.
The caption said Temple of Baran, I believe, which fits in with Yemen:http://nationalyemen.com/2014/09/11/...y-comes-alive/

But, later on she is in Tehran. And then we're shown the destruction of the temple in Syria.
So, let's just say "Middle East" in general.

Quote:
There's Jesus' everywhere. All kinds with differing faces. It seems Jesus is different to just about all people. I'm watching this with my jaw on the floor.
As soon as I saw White Jesus I started cracking up.

Quote:
Mr. Wednesday has his crows, I mean ravens.
Definitely ravens.

Quote:
Mr. Wednesday, who brings about several lightening bolts to bare, kills all of the faceless tuedoed men. He turns to Shadow and asks, "do you really want to know who I am?" He declares, "I'm Odin!"
I have to ask, were any non-book people at all surprised by this revelation? I mean they basically hit you over the head with it again and again and again.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 06-20-17, 06:27 PM   #105
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
I'm just sitting here going f-ing crazy because WE HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO WISCONSIN YET.

This is going to need three seasons, not two.

There's still so much story.
From your mouth to Gods ear (see what I did there? ).

Quote:
Second season already confirmed, iirc...
Here's confirmation, Vonne.

Quote:
...I have to ask, were any non-book people at all surprised by this revelation? I mean they basically hit you over the head with it again and again and again.
I realized from early on, Mr. Wednesday was actually, Odin.

Speaking of the book...I got my copy last week, and I'm looking forward to diving in during the hiatus.
Old 06-20-17, 07:08 PM   #106
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I was wondering how many people would now be picking up the book.

I need to re-read it.

Old 06-21-17, 09:32 PM   #107
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

American Gods Episode 8 - Season Finale Breakdown

Hodgepodge is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-17, 08:02 PM   #108
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Mr. Nancy and his army of spiders gave Shadow an interesting suit. The pattern looks a bit like chain mail. When Mr. N, framed in a doorway, stepped up on that fitting platform, I expected some karaoke but I guess that will come next season. Chenoweth won me over, even if she’s more Peeps and Paas dye than the way a traditional fertility goddess would look. Her perkiness worked because Ostara seemed to be leaning toward the New Gods, having made an adaptation and accommodation like Vulcan did. It was pretty impressive when she dried up all the plants (and let down her hair), so that helped to establish her credentials as still being an Old God. It looks like Bilquis is going to switch her allegiance back to the old ways, too.

Got a bookmark for you to print out, Hodge. People who haven’t read the book before are, I assume, aware that there are a lot of changes between the book and tv versions.

[thanks to the Hypothetical Library]

Last edited by Pi-o-my; 06-22-17 at 08:05 PM.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-17, 08:05 PM   #109
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Definitely not a crow.

Old 06-22-17, 08:24 PM   #110
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Once Shadow meets that hitchhiker (was that in Wisconsin?) Hodge will remember to keep them straight.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »