Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > American Gods - Starz Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 05-02-17, 06:19 AM   #11
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday (Premieres April 30th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
"I am trying to get my dignity back here!"
pssst ... epic fail, Audrey -- epic fail!
That was painful. But, I remember my jaw dropping over the funeral-reveal of "How Laura died" that Audrey just throws out there.
Good times.

Quote:
I loved this first episode! Overall, the acting was excellent and the story is unfolding at a good pace. Loved the sets, particularly Shadow Moon's dreams -- or were they visions of some kind?
*vibrates with non-spoilering*

Quote:
It appears the two sides are forming - those aligned with Mr. Wednesday and those aligned against him. It looks like Mad Sweeney is on Mr. Wednesday's side and I would love to know the significance of that coin he gave Shadow Moon sinking down under the dirt of Laura's grave. I knew that was going to happen when it landed there and I had just about given up on seeing it happen and then -- it did.
That was a great shot, of the coin. It landed head's up, if you noticed.

It's not always tails.

Quote:
Bilquis, the Goddess of Love
OMG! At first, I thought it was just the camera angle. Then I thought she was getting a lot bigger and boy was I surprised when her vagina devoured that man completely!

I was wondering how that would translate to screen. Given the bizarre quality of that scene, I think they did a pretty good job with it.

Oh, Bilquis. She just wants to be worshiped.

Quote:
And Shadow Moon's strange meeting with the Technology God! Who, by the way, reminded me of a kewpie doll or Martin Short's character, Ed Grimley.
The trippy quality of that was great. And Shadow had zero chill dealing with that twerp.

The guy playing Shadow is so exquisitely portraying "I don't have a thing to lose, and I don't give a shit about you."

Quote:
It's probably Mr. Wednesday who keeps rescuing Shadow Moon from his near-death experiences. I have to admit, the hanging rescue was particularly gory which took me by surprise. But I'm okay with that now that I know TPTB will use those kind of visuals.

Whats up with the fire-shooting-eyeballed giant buffalo?
*vibrates with non-spoilering*

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-17, 06:21 AM   #12
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
And, along with being visually stunning, you can see where TPTB are going with the story. This is definitely a war. The old Gods against the new Gods.
"America is a bad place for gods."

Quote:
I got the feeling, Mad Sweeney, the "Leprechaun" was just trying to see if Shadow Moon had what it took to be in the employ of Mr. Wednesday. That was a HELL of a fight. You also notice, while playing darts, he never missed the bullseye? Just damn!
Plus, I think he just likes fighting.

I'm still not over how great that scene was. Just the DIRECTING, god. The way that Mad Sweeney moved as he was tossing out coins, there was such a mood and a feel to the scene.

Perfect.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 05-02-17, 11:14 PM   #13
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
I don't even know what to say without massive spoiling, since I've read the book...

Quote:
...But, if you've ever read and book and thought about how amazing it would be on screen? And then it comes to screen, and they screw it up?

THEY DID NOT SCREW THIS UP.

The casting is ON POINT...
We're in for a ride now, Vonne likes it.

You mentioned the casting. Are there descriptions of the characters in the book? Vonne, bring that aspect from the book to this series, since we've met quit a few of them to this point.

Quote:
...The narrative structure, with starting out with the Vikings coming to America, and the [guy with the book whose name I don't think they've said on the show yet ] before going into Shadow's story. Teasing with Bilquis scene. I love how they are leading the story on right from the start...
Can't believe I didn't mention that opening scene. What a powerful thing to behold.

And, the things they went thru to gain the favor of the "Wind God". Putting out eyes! Fighting among themselves! Lighting a burial fire, and placing one of the crew on it to burn alive. Just damn!

Quote:
...If they keep on this faithfully to the source material, throughout the show-- because it is one of the best books I've ever read, and they're doing an amazing job of translating the surreality to the screen...
Yeah, Sandi has already mentioned how Shadow Moon's dream sequences are so alive. I'd like to chime in here and agree 100%.

Quote:
...The guy playing Shadow is so exquisitely portraying "I don't have a thing to lose, and I don't give a shit about you."
I'm not gay, but the guy playing Shadow Moon is great looking. We'd better not tell BA about this series. Oh BA!
Old 05-03-17, 04:10 AM   #14
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
You mentioned the casting. Are there descriptions of the characters in the book? Vonne, bring that aspect from the book to this series, since we've met quit a few of them to this point.
I know there are some physical descriptions, but nothing extremely detailed. IIRC (It's been nearly a year since I read it), the characters have a few description points (I know Shadow was described as being a big guy, Mr. Wednesday is older, Mad Sweeney a tall Irish-looking redhead, "Mr. Nancy" obv a black guy, etc), but most of the details you fill in with your imagination.

Mostly it's the acting, and how the characters are being portrayed personality-wise. Ian McShane is EXACTLY acting how Wednesday would act, the way the lines are delivered, the facial expressions, etc.

I think I remember Tech Guy was supposed to be overweight and with acne, so there is a mis-fit there physically, but the main thing you get when you're reading is his smarmy personality. So as I'm watching, I get a sense of "oh, this is GOOD. This is exactly what he's supposed to be."

Old 05-03-17, 07:36 PM   #15
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Can't believe I found this online. Nothing spoilerish, except a couple of characters we haven't met yet. This is just a little background on the "Old Gods".

Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-17, 07:40 PM   #16
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Can't believe I found this online. Nothing spoilerish, except a couple of characters we haven't met yet. This is just a little background on the "Old Gods".

Hodge, that’s a great video. Though I think it’s better for those wanting to avoid spoilers to wait til after they’ve seen the second episode to watch it… Btw, the video points out three sisters instead of two (I’m being deliberately vague here ) I just finished reading Gaiman’s Norse Mythology so I’m inclined to think that in addition to the Slavic context, he had in mind these three –
https://www.adf.org/articles/gods-an...e-sisters.html

Even though it’s been a decade since I read the book, I remember it well enough (I hope!) that I’m afraid I’ll accidentally drop a spoiler. Since some things are revealed gradually (in the book and I think – so far, anyway – in the series) I don’t want to mention a detail in passing that not everyone has figured out yet. I guess I’ll be spoiler tagging what seems pretty obvious –
Spoiler: Maybe tag needed, maybe not

The narrator (you know who he is by now, right?) says that the Vikings knew better than to pray to nasty Njord and instead made sacrifices to get the attention of the All-Father so he’d intercede with the wind god. That one-eyed All-Father statue the Vikings abandon looks a lot like Ian McShane.

Having cast Ricky Whittle as Shadow, rather than an actor more ethnically ambiguous, it was gutsy for TPTB to include a scene of him being lynched. And he’s doing a great job, so far, as a less passive (necessary for the different medium) Shadow.

Vonne, I’m glad you’re liking what they’re doing with Sweeney. The scene in the Croc Bar was the highlight of the episode for me. I have the same memory as you of Tech Boy’s appearance, and I think they’re (so far) doing a good job of bringing him up to date.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-17, 10:49 PM   #17
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Quote:

We're in for a ride now, Vonne likes it.

Can't believe I didn't mention that opening scene. What a powerful thing to behold.

And, the things they went thru to gain the favor of the "Wind God". Putting out eyes! Fighting among themselves! Lighting a burial fire, and placing one of the crew on it to burn alive. Just damn!

Yeah, Sandi has already mentioned how Shadow Moon's dream sequences are so alive. I'd like to chime in here and agree 100%.

I'm not gay, but the guy playing Shadow Moon is great looking. We'd better not tell BA about this series. Oh BA!
He's in The 100 and he's a beautiful man. This show caught my attention just by casting him, but then Kelly told me to watch and I was sold.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-17, 10:56 PM   #18
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Ness, we've got a new episode tomorrow (May 7, 2017) too.

I really can't wait to see where they're taking the story. I suspect, we'll get some new characters as well.

American Gods
S01E02 "The Secret of Spoon"
Sunday, May 7th at 9/8c on Starz.

Spoiler: Episode Description and Promo

"As Mr. Wednesday begins recruitment for the coming battle, Shadow Moon travels with him to Chicago and agrees to a very high stakes game of checkers with the old Slavic god, Czernobog." Source

Last edited by sandi; 05-08-17 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added episode separator info
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-17, 03:48 AM   #19
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

EPISODE TWO--

Ahhhh, the Russians. Good times.

I've actually seduced my husband into this one, which gives me a non-book-reader perspective on it.

I'm shocked that they "outed" Mr. Nancy / Anansi right from the get-go. IIRC, in the book it was a long time before it was revealed that Mr. Nancy is Anansi.

Anyway, this episode seemed a bit of a lull after all of the action of the previous. They went into ep 1 with very, very little "set up," getting a bit of extra set-up for this one, plus dick pics.

Book-reader perspective: Loving the Laura dream. Smiling at Mr. Wednesday professing his love for Scandinavian women. Liking the introduction of Media. The portrayal of the apartment in Chicago was EVERYTHING. How great are the sisters (the two that we've met) and Czernobog.

Really I want to see non-book-reader reactions to all of it.

But, another thing I remarked on while watching, I love the directing AND whatever cameras they are using for this-- the colors are TOO sharp, the lines TOO stark, the directing TOO extreme. There is one shot where Shadow is standing in the foreground to Wednesday and it makes their height seem absurd-- Shadow is a giant, Wednesday tiny. Blood frothing in the soap. A close-up on a shopping wheel cart. It is visually a bit too overwhelming, which is the perfect visual expression of the book's writing style.

They're going farther with Bilquis than the book does, which is interesting.

I like the faithfulness of keeping a "Coming to America" introduction to the episode, to mirror the intervals in the book (although the scenes shown on the TV are not those shown in the book).

Shadow is a bit too attractive, but I'll allow it.

Old 05-08-17, 08:08 PM   #20
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I've decided not to sleep between episodes. I've also decided not to go to work until this first season has aired. This is such an amazing spectacle, I may not breath between episodes either.

After this last episodes opening scene, I can't wait for the next.

In the first episode, we had the Vikings making it to the Americas. They were met by the indigenous people and eventually driven back to their ships. But, before leaving, they left a shrine to the god, Odin.

In this episode, the opening scene shows a slave ship filled to the capacity heading to America. Then we're introduced to Mr. Nancy.

Now, according to Sandi's character list, Mr. Nancy is the "Trickster God". Now, I have no idea who that might be. I do remember one of the slaves praying to a god. I'm going to rewatch "American Gods Revealed", to get some background on this god.

I do remember I didn't breath during that opening. One of the more awe inspiring things I've seen on television. Especially since, to the viewing audience, he was speaking English, but to the slaves, it was in their language. Man-o-man!

Along with the introduction of Mr. Nancy (Anansi), we had the introduction of, Media (Gillian Anderson), Czernobog (Peter Stormare) and Zorya Vechernyaya (Cloris Leachman).

The story told by Czernobog about coming to America was also fascinating. Let alone the bet he made with Shadow. Curious how that's going to play out. Can't imagine he would actually use that sledge-hammer on him. Maybe, Mr. Wednesday will come to the rescue.

Forgot to mention...We got additional looks into Bilquis' obsession with admiration. This time, she devoured both male and female lovers. But, her scenes don't look like they fit with the others. Yeah, she's obviously a god, but where does she fit into the narrative of the story?

Quote:
EPISODE TWO--

Anyway, this episode seemed a bit of a lull after all of the action of the previous. They went into ep 1 with very, very little "set up," getting a bit of extra set-up for this one, plus dick pics...
"Action" isn't the vital aspect of an episode in my book. Maybe it's the idea I've never seen anything like this before. Maybe the "unknown" is where I live.

Quote:
...But, another thing I remarked on while watching, I love the directing AND whatever cameras they are using for this-- the colors are TOO sharp, the lines TOO stark, the directing TOO extreme. There is one shot where Shadow is standing in the foreground to Wednesday and it makes their height seem absurd-- Shadow is a giant, Wednesday tiny. Blood frothing in the soap. A close-up on a shopping wheel cart. It is visually a bit too overwhelming, which is the perfect visual expression of the book's writing style...
The cinematography and direction are the most amazing aspects to the series so far. Too Sharp! Too stark! Too extreme. More, more and more!