Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Ness' Sandman First Read

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 06-11-17, 10:22 PM   #1
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Ness' Sandman First Read

Mo wasn't kidding that this series didn't take a lot of time to read. I flew through Preludes and Nocturnes. It was alright, there were definitely some interesting parts. I particularly enjoyed the part where he battles a demon and the part in the diner with Doctor Destiny. That was some messed up shit.

I didn't much care for how it ended, it seemed out of place with the rest of the volume. But, you guys have promised that it will consistently improve, and there was enough there that caught my attention that I'll keep going.

ETA: Also Kelly, the Alaska reference wasn't what you thought it was. Constantine ran away to Alaska to get away from his junky girlfriend.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-17, 10:29 PM   #2
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Re: Ness' Sandman First Read

*runs around screaming and waving hands*

Okay. Be cool, Vonne. Be cool.

*exhale*

So, subbing.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-17, 10:36 PM   #3
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Mo wasn't kidding that this series didn't take a lot of time to read. I flew through Preludes and Nocturnes. It was alright, there were definitely some interesting parts. I particularly enjoyed the part where he battles a demon and the part in the diner with Doctor Destiny. That was some messed up shit.
Morpheus's journey to Hell is my favorite part of P&N. The game that Morpheus and the demon play is trope and interesting at the same time. I love how it ends. "I am hope." *BOOM* *PWNT*

Other than that, I felt like it wanders quite a bit, and really the main value is as an origin-story, and introducing characters (although you don't meet my favorite non-Morpheus character until book 2, iirc) (but my second favorite non-Morpheus character has to be Lucien, the librarian who stayed in the crumbling palace while Morpheus was held captive).

Quote:
I didn't much care for how it ended, it seemed out of place with the rest of the volume. But, you guys have promised that it will consistently improve, and there was enough there that caught my attention that I'll keep going.
In the volumes I read, the last chapter ("Sound of Wings" or whatever it's called) actually came at the BEGINNING of Book 2.

It was out of place there, too.

I think you kind of have to look at that simply as a transition piece, and nothing more. "Doll's House" is VERY different from P&N, but is also its own complete story. But, that last chapter sets the tone for Doll's House in that, we're stepping away from the Marvel/DC Tie-Ins and this isn't going to be your regular comic book, there is a wider universe at play here.

Quote:
ETA: Also Kelly, the Alaska reference wasn't what you thought it was. Constantine ran away to Alaska to get away from his junky girlfriend.
Ahhhh. See?

SANDMAN HAS EVERYTHING.

When are you reading Doll's House? Have you started yet? Will you post here as you read?

*tries to be cool* *deep breaths*

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 06-11-17, 11:11 PM   #4
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

So, looking through P&N again.

Chapter 1, "Sleep of the Just," which covers Morpheus's imprisonment by Burgess and son-- I love that the chapter begins with "Wake up, sir. We're here." and ends with "We're here. It's alright. So wake up. Please wake up. Please...?"

Gaiman does shit like that on purpose.

Things I'd forgotten / hadn't noticed:

When Burgess and Alex are talking about the Endless, and Burgess says "Desire?" in the panel, Sykes is looking at a picture of Ethel, who he later has an affair and runs away with. Just a neat detail I hadn't noticed before.

All of the Unity Kinkaid stuff is great. "She dreams of a tall, dark man. His eyes burn like twin stars in her head." The "I dreamed I had a baby" panel

I love how the summoning ceremony itself is hokey as shit but somehow cool. "A stick that I stuck through a dead man's eye"

I enjoy Morpheus's running commentary of captivity more now. The first time I read, it took me a minute to even figure out what was up with the black-box-white-text. "Watch my captor grow old and die. No satisfaction. Still here. Waiting."

In Alex's dream, a black cat turns into Morpheus. Had forgotten that. Made me smile.

And, Morpheus's revenge on Alex, Eternal Waking. First taste of what a dick Morpheus can be when you piss him off.

Old 06-11-17, 11:55 PM   #5
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Chapter 2, "Imperfect Hosts"

"Abel had been dead for a couple of hours now. But he was starting to feel better."

All of the mirrored dialogue. I feel like we should have Jane here, because she's good at that.
Morpheus tells C&A, "I have been imprisoned" as we switch to the asylum where Dr. D is imprisoned. That scene ends "Mrs. D, say goodbye" and on the next panel, Abel says goodbye to Morpheus.
"This will be an uphill quest" Morpheus thinks, followed by Abel reviving and climbing the hill back to his house.

And you meet Lucien, still wandering about Morpheus's ruined palace. the librarian

Abel steals the show in this one, though. "I'm not crying. I'm really not crying. It's only blood, little brother. Only blood."

As much as you can tell that Gaiman doesn't quite know where he's going with the story, at the point, it's amazing how wonderfully introduced some of the characters are.

Old 06-12-17, 01:39 AM   #6
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

I'm 2 chapters in to The Dolls House. Is Desire your favorite character Kelly? Seems like the type of character you'd enjoy.

The first chapter with Nada was pretty cool. Reminded me with what they're doing on American Gods with the "historical" openings.
Old 06-12-17, 02:37 AM   #7
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'm 2 chapters in to The Dolls House. Is Desire your favorite character Kelly? Seems like the type of character you'd enjoy.
NO.

F that bitch.

Quote:
The first chapter with Nada was pretty cool. Reminded me with what they're doing on American Gods with the "historical" openings.
Gaiman is Gaiman.

And, why are you not posting in the American Gods thread.

Old 06-12-17, 02:39 AM   #8
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

I'm not posting in that thread because I tend to run about a week behind watching the episodes.

Also, really? You don't like Desire? She reminds me of FMAB... There are some Ling/Greed similarities.
Old 06-12-17, 02:42 AM   #9
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Desire can go die in a fire.

And, that's stupid, go post in it anyway. There are only like three of us talking about it.

Old 06-12-17, 02:44 AM   #10
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

I don't want to get spoiled though.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »