Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion > John Locke sometimes naive and stupid

Old 05-11-17, 05:07 PM   #21
topcat
Follows the Cable

Re: John Locke sometimes naive and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
If you read the series as whole very closely, season 6 mirrors season 1 VERY closely. If anything, i think the framework for season 6 was planned out between seasons 1 and 2, and that a lot of the execution of season 6 six was done on the fly, so to speak, but with writers committed not to violating the "Series Bible" as it were.

The real "fly by the seat of our pants" seasons were late s3, all s4, and at least early s5. I know it's difficult to understand the impact of the writers' strike for a show like LOST unless you were watching it while it unfolded. The freighter scenes in particular HAD to be both unambiguous AND cliffhangerish because nobody knew exactly when shit might go down. nor hard it might hit.
OK, I wasn't aware of the writers strike, and I didn't watch it in the original broadcast. I only found the show on Netlfix this past year. I get what you're saying. With the fate of the show threatened by the strike, it would force them to have several contingencies planned out for bringing the show to an early end, if circumstances forced things that way.

But season 1 was the most 'fly by the seat of your pants' season I think.
Most tv series are plotted out at least six months in advance, and often longer ahead of time.
But LOST was different. At the time, ABC was scrambling around looking for some new shows. they were low in the ratings. Someone scribbled down the basic idea for a show about survivors of a crash on an island and pitched it to execs. They were lukewarm to the idea but needed shows and decided to give it a pilot.
They had only 1 month to plot out the pilot. I read an article which quoted the writers saying that one of the writers left the show after the pilot, leaving that Damon guy. And they quoted him saying it was immense pressure each week to crank out the next episode.
They had only the most basic sketch of the plot to start with and were making it up on the fly.

I think this contributed to the greatness of the show. In one sense it took the pressure off, and in another sense it piled it on. Since the execs didn't expect the show to survive anyway, the writers felt freed up to experiment and do whatever they pleased. But the lack of the ordinary amount of preplanning meant they had to do it all while the show was being produced.

I am late to the LOST party, having only discovered it last year. I am watching it over again now.
I am keen to hear more from you about the island itself. Also how you see the symbolism in the show.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-17, 08:03 PM   #22
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

You have some good points. I don't hold it against you that you didn't watch it as it aired, in fact it's nice to get a fresh series of discussions going years after the fact, when so many of us have had more time to "digest" it, to use a poor metaphor. I'm just trying to give you a little more context, hopefully in the interest of broadening your understanding,

Also don't forget that J.J. Abrams was the showrunner, if not actually a writer, during season 1.

ETA: Case in point: The actor who played Mr. Eko, AAA for short, wanted out to go work on a different show. So that's why he was killed off before we could get any deeper into his amazing story. Stuff like that was fairly commonplace knowledge here at the time, but it's unlikely that you would know that, watching the show years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 05-11-17 at 08:07 PM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-17, 10:31 PM   #23
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

Quote:
...when so many of us have had more time to "digest" it, to use a pooh metaphor.
fixed it for you

"Then I saw thrones, and people seated on them who were given authority to judge."

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them...."

"They follow the Lamb wherever he goes."

"Then he measured its wall: 144 cubits,
according to the measure of a man,
that is, of an angel
"

Revelations 2:23
"I will strike her children dead.
Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and MINDs,
and I will repay each of you according to your deeds."

yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-17, 04:19 PM   #24
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
You have some good points. I don't hold it against you that you didn't watch it as it aired, in fact it's nice to get a fresh series of discussions going years after the fact, when so many of us have had more time to "digest" it, to use a poor metaphor. I'm just trying to give you a little more context, hopefully in the interest of broadening your understanding,

Also don't forget that J.J. Abrams was the showrunner, if not actually a writer, during season 1.

ETA: Case in point: The actor who played Mr. Eko, AAA for short, wanted out to go work on a different show. So that's why he was killed off before we could get any deeper into his amazing story. Stuff like that was fairly commonplace knowledge here at the time, but it's unlikely that you would know that, watching the show years later.
That's what is so great about these discussion boards. (I used to use the one at IMDB until they decided to get rid of it). I can learn lots of stuff and get other points of view. Your comments are informative and give me a better understanding of many aspects of the show. I get a lot out of these discussions.

I love the series. I tend to binge on it until I get tired of it. But I come back to it because it is such a great show. I have watched it through twice completely, and watched individual shows, seasons, etc. at a time as well. Eventually I need to take a break from it. But I find I like to come back to it.

I do think that those who watched the show week to week, season to season, and discussed it with friends over all those years have a deeper and broader understanding of it in many ways.
Old 05-20-17, 09:25 AM   #25
Vincent Lives
Arrives By Sub

Locke was the holy fool.

He was also my favorite character (among a large group of characters I very much enjoyed).

Terry O'Quinn is a superb character actor who nailed this role.

The complexity of the character, occasionally portrayed by Locke's deft insight and virtuous wisdom then juxtaposed against his staggering lack of certain social graces/skills, was very compelling for me.
Vincent Lives is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-17, 06:25 PM   #26
topcat
Follows the Cable

I agree with you, Vincent. Locke was certainly anything but one-dimensional. When the captured Ben Linus was in the hatch I sat there thinking "Locke, you fool. You started out the show as someone so perceptive, mature, intelligent, in control of yourself, and capable. Now Ben Linus has manipulated you so easily, and you are losing it emotionally."

The Locke character had a lot of depth. He was perhaps the most interesting character.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion »