Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion > The MOST Annoying Character on LOST is

Old 04-28-17, 01:30 AM   #11
topcat
Follows the Cable

Re: The MOST Annoying Character on LOST is

Though not the most annoying, I actually get put off by Jack sometimes. He, like Locke, believes all information should flow through him, and decisions should be made by him.
I am watching S3 E20 The Man Behind The Curtain again right now. There is a scene where Kate tells Jack that Sayid, Hurley, and the others have an injured girl in the camp, a girl who parachuted onto the island. She says they didn't tell him because they don't trust him because of his association with Juliette. Jack asks "why didn't anybody tell me?" But when Juliette says to Jack "we should tell her", Jack tells her "not yet." He is talking about the plan of the others to raid the camp and kidnap any pregnant women.

But Sawyer gets a tape from Locke (stolen from Ben) of Juliette reporting to Ben about Sun being pregnant. Jack overhears them playing the tape. Then they learn that Jack already knew about Ben's plan because Juliette had told him what Ben was forcing her to do.
Sayid asks "why didn't you tell us?" And Jack replies "because I hadn't decided what to do about it yet."
Jack thinks he alone should make decisions and plans for the group. The whole group was in danger from Ben's raiding party, and they all had a right to know what was coming.
Jack could be very anal. He and Locke were similar that way. They both felt they should be in charge. They were both dictatorial. They were both paternalistic toward everyone else.
Both Lock and Jack believed he should control the guns and not allow anyone else to have one, even those who were proven to be proficient in their safe and accurate use. Only when Jack formed a plan and needed extra armed people did he dole them out, but then he demanded them back. It didn't matter if a killer was prowling around, threatening to kill them off one by one, Jack was too anal to allow anyone to be armed. But he carried a gun whenever he wanted to.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-17, 03:06 AM   #12
The Ricksters
Seeks Rescue

Anna Lucia and her perpetual scowl and just her in general - good God she annoyed me. She was the worst part of Season 2. I remember cheering when Michael shot her , but I felt sorry for Abby.

Runner up Ben Linus - I think it is obvious why.
The Ricksters is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-17, 05:48 AM   #13
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Is nobody going to mention Ilana?

Maybe she just wasn't around long enough.

I dunno if i can isolate the character who most annoyed me. I mean, i hated Michael, mostly because he killed Libby, i even cheered when he died. But eventually my feelings towards him changed; he wasn't completely unsympathetic, he was just obsessed, and damn near all the characters were obsessed with something at some point.

Boone really got under my skin in a lot of ways because he was so spineless, and i found his obsession with his step-sister repulsive. But long before the show ended, i realized that he'd actually been pretty important to the story, and more importantly, he really never meant any harm to anybody, and even if he wasn't very bright, he was very brave and he had a lot to give that i hadn't really appreciated my first time through season 1.

Shannon was annoying, but MOST annoying? Maybe. She was pretty harmless, though, and she gave Sayid probably the only truly happy days of his mostly horrific life, and i really came to dig Sayid over the years. He was probably the most tormented character on the show, but he never gave up hope and brought his passion into everything he did, right or wrong.

Lennon was damned annoying. Smug little prick. But like Ilana, he wasn't around long enough to make a deep impression.

I'm sure a lot of the people who posted regularly around here while the show was on-air could make the case that Annie was easily the most annoying character.

But what about Jacob? His obsession, and his brother and mother's, was the root of the whole story. He was soooo superior, so smug, so elite. With his stupid little lists and his magic moving cabin. Just letting Rousseau go stark staring mad after Bro killed all her comrades, what an uncaring jerk he was. His lighthouse, letting him spy on people all over the world, pulling strings like some global marionette master, and his secret little cave where he reduced those people to numerical variables - was he freakin playing God or what? Then he acts all beatific like everything he did or neglected to do was all to save the world - seriously, God complex that made Christian Shepherd look downright humble. He's even the guy that made little Ben Linus into a monster while he was still a child! With Hurley in charge, Ben was a great guy!

So yeah. I think i know who annoyed me the most. Jacob. He and his brother were both monsters, but at least his brother knew he was a monster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-17, 02:34 PM   #14
ollie
Blew Up the Hatch

Ana Lucia and Ilana were annoying, esp. Ana Lucia. I was so happy when she got shot!

I'm gonna nominate a potentially controversial character - Kate.

She was eye-candy for sure but her character annoyed the heck out of me. Apart from being the love interest for the main protagonist, Jack, her character was pretty incidental. OK, so she pulled the trigger that killed ol' smokey but anyone could have done that. And even that annoyed the heck out of me. She was such a hypocrite, a "do as I say, not as I do" type. She took diabolical liberties with people and situations but the minute someone did the same to her she acted all hurt and self-righteous.

She sure was eye-candy tho.
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-17, 08:34 AM   #15
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Ana Lucia and Ilana were annoying, esp. Ana Lucia. I was so happy when she got shot!

I'm gonna nominate a potentially controversial character - Kate.

She was eye-candy for sure but her character annoyed the heck out of me. Apart from being the love interest for the main protagonist, Jack, her character was pretty incidental. OK, so she pulled the trigger that killed ol' smokey but anyone could have done that. And even that annoyed the heck out of me. She was such a hypocrite, a "do as I say, not as I do" type. She took diabolical liberties with people and situations but the minute someone did the same to her she acted all hurt and self-righteous.

She sure was eye-candy tho.
yes she was eye candy!
But I didn't think she was anywhere near as bad about being hypocritical as Jack and Locke were. They believed their double standards were ordained and righteous.
Both of them expected to be told everything, but they kept so many things secret from the rest. And they both acted like no one could be trusted to have guns, except them. Or on occasion when they needed an armed group they dispensed guns to a select group, and then demanded their return. The arrogance. "If people have guns they will shoot each other so nobody gets a gun" was basically their policy, except for them.
They seemed to think they were always the exception to the rule.

Kate was devious. She wanted others to follow certain rules so she could get an advantage when she broke them.
Jack and Locke were anal dictators. They felt justified in their hypocrisy, almost as if their double standard was divinely approved.
Old 05-08-17, 02:14 AM   #16
topcat
Follows the Cable

I have to give an honorable mention to Claire. She and Charlie sure were a pair. They both could make just about any question sound like an accusation.

In "Par Avion", in a flashback we're shown Claire in her mother's hospital room. Claire doesn't yet know who her father is (Jack's father, Christian Shephard). Claire comes in to find Dr. Shephard there, and Claire's aunt gets into a minor argument with him. Claire begins to put things together and figures out that Christian is the person paying the hospital bill for her mother.
Claire shrieks out the questions "You're the one paying the bills? Are you the one taking care of all this?!" Her tone of voice in asking these questions would make you think she had just found out Christian had crapped in her cereal bowl instead of paying her mother's medical bills.
"Who are you?" she demands.
Claire and Charlie have that classic victim mindset, and find nearly everything to be an offense against them.

How dare Dr. Shephard pay for her mother's medical care?! What nerve? Just who does he think he is?
From Claire's tone of voice in asking these questions, that seems to be her attitude.
Old 05-09-17, 03:28 AM   #17
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Well, to be fair, she smelled conspiracy, and to be more specific, a conspiracy directly involving her, and furthermore, she was dead right.

Makes you wonder if she was more psychic than Richard Malkin. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-17, 05:28 AM   #18
Bee
Wasn't on the List

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
I can't argue with your choice. Michael believed the worst about people too often. He had his good points of course; they all did. But he was suspicious of almost everyone, quick to anger.
He assumed the worst, flew into anger, and expressed outrage, often over benign actions of others who were innocent.
But it was also his strident voice.

Anyone who continually, habitually expresses outrage, and accuses people in a loud, harsh voice gets on my nerves.

I intensely disliked him for his betrayal of the group, and the murders he committed, but it was his personality and his voice which annoyed me.

Michael was a close second to Charlie as the most annoying. It was almost a coin flip.

Perhaps I am splitting hairs, but I am not judging by the character of the person as much as by how hard it was for me to listen to them.
I hated Ben Linus, and Michael when he murdered Ana Lucia and Libby, and freed Ben.
I hated John Locke at other times too. (If I had been Boone, I would have beaten that bald head of his for bashing the back of my head, hog tying me, drugging me, leaving me in the jungle, and paternalistically telling me I would thank him for it.)
But Locke's voice and personality did not annoy me like Charlie's, Michael's, and Claire's.
Claire is just nails on a chalkboard to me. Absolutely the worst! Charlie, I wanted to punch in the face so many times, but I love he had redemption in the end, and also my ex and I used to say, "Guys, where ARE we?" in British accents over and over until it became one of my regular phrases that I still naturally say when the effing GPS leads me into the middle of nowhere (this is often) or I'm just confused in general (also often). :-)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-17, 01:16 PM   #19
topcat
Follows the Cable

[QUOTE=Mr Mo;3743880]Well, to be fair, she smelled conspiracy, and to be more specific, a conspiracy directly involving her, and furthermore, she was dead right.

Makes you wonder if she was more psychic than Richard Malkin. LOL[/QUO

I might be forgetting something about it all right now. I can't think of what Christian did regarding Claire that was so bad.
I know he shocked her when he talked about putting her mother down, ending her pain as he put it. And that was pretty creepy, the way he said it.

But that was not his original intention. He didn't start paying her medical bills with that in mind, he only thought she should be allowed to pass away after he found out she had no chance of ever waking up or being able to live without machines.

Maybe Claire smelled conspiracy, but she and Charlie sounded that way quite a bit of the time. Charlie more than Claire, to be fair.

No, whatever she was thinking, I think the writers made her one dimensional this way. The normal thing for her to do would have been to first thank him for paying the medical bills, making sure her mom was cared for.
And if she suspected something was up she could have questioned him further from there.
But good grief, you don't scream at someone for helping your mother get the best care available.
Old 05-09-17, 01:27 PM   #20
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Claire is just nails on a chalkboard to me. Absolutely the worst! Charlie, I wanted to punch in the face so many times, but I love he had redemption in the end, and also my ex and I used to say, "Guys, where ARE we?" in British accents over and over until it became one of my regular phrases that I still naturally say when the effing GPS leads me into the middle of nowhere (this is often) or I'm just confused in general (also often). :-)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
YEAH, Claire's voice really got to me too. Whenever she was emotional or hysterical (about 90% of the time) she had that high, nasal, strident, demanding, over dramatic, TWANG sound. UGGHhh

She and Charlie were a pair alright. But Charlie did it intentionally, making his voice irritating that is. With Claire it was just her voice.
Charlie had a passive aggressive way about him, sort of a "I know you guys don't really like me because I am a lying drug addict and perpetual screw up, so I will talk loud and be obnoxious in a friendly sounding way so you will reject me more, and I can be offended" kind of way.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion »