Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion > Favorite scenes in LOST

Old 05-14-17, 06:32 AM   #71
topcat
Follows the Cable

Re: Favorite scenes in LOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I'm trying to picture the show without Jack. Keaton dying would have been a big talking point, but I think too much of a gimmick?

Jack was frustrating. Sorta like the kid in school that never let you get by with anything. Always telling the teacher and ruining the fun. You still need them though. They balance the chaos. Making him a now-sober alcoholic was a great fit.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
The article said the writers wanted to kill off Jack to show the viewers anything could happen to anyone. But the exec. convinced them that killing off Jack would make viewers feel they could not trust the show, or something like that. So they changed that bit.
The original plan was for Kate to become the de facto leader after Jack died.

Matthew Fox doesn't seem like the kind of guy people would really look to as a leader. The fact that he was a surgeon is what made it plausible that people looked to him, in my opinion.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-17, 06:39 AM   #72
Bee
Wasn't on the List

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
The article said the writers wanted to kill off Jack to show the viewers anything could happen to anyone. But the exec. convinced them that killing off Jack would make viewers feel they could not trust the show, or something like that. So they changed that bit.
The original plan was for Kate to become the de facto leader after Jack died.

Matthew Fox doesn't seem like the kind of guy people would really look to as a leader. The fact that he was a surgeon is what made it plausible that people looked to him, in my opinion.
Agreed. He was the biggest help initially. I think his relationship to Kate was a major factor in the group looking to him as a leader. She was always controlling things quietly. I loved her character.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-17, 01:00 PM   #73
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

Jaxk was also haunted by his past, by Christian telling him that he didn't have what it takes to be a great leader - the ability to make hard decisions and walk away with a clean conscience. Whether Christian was right or not, Jack was trying VERY hard not to prove him wrong.

The points you guys brought up are at least as important as the point above, but i'll add just one more:

Who else was going to lead? The junkie, the conman ("It's Lord of the Flies out here!"), the fugitive, the fat guy, the pregnant girl, the girl who needed more time to work on her tan, her obsessed half-brother, one of the non-English speaking (or so we thought) Koreans, the chemistry teacher, frogurt, the international jewel thieves, or maybe the guy with serious rage issues who couldn't lead his own son?

I know, that keaves Locke, But early on, Locke wasn't interested in leading, he was interested in exploring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-17, 02:28 AM   #74
topcat
Follows the Cable

Good point Mo.
I don't think anybody else really wanted to lead. When the role was thrust upon Sawyer, he clearly didn't want it, though he seemed to slowly warm up to it. I thought he looked a little disappointed when Jack came back.

I am reminded now of something else from that article. The initial sketch of a plot involved having people on the island who might have reasons for not wanting to leave the island, people with issues back home, or lives they didn't necessarily want to get back to.
It seems they backed away from that concept a little bit though because most of the survivors did want to get off the island. But they kept the bit about these people being flawed in many ways. Everyone there had some real issues.
I noticed that Sawyer adjusted and found life on the island to be alright when he wound up as head of security back in the 70s Dharma camp.
John Locke definitely liked it on the island, even before he got bit with the idea that the island wanted him to stay.
Locke was perhaps the most interesting character on the show I thought. The island power healed him of paraplegia. He wound up having fairly good woodsman skills for a box company sales associate. He had his personal demons of course. His father was a real stinker, and if any father could give you self esteem issues, his dad could.
And he changed from a fairly stable and fatherly character into an obsessed and ultimately sociopathic island zealot. There was quite a lot going on with Locke.
Old 05-21-17, 08:30 AM   #75
Vincent Lives
Arrives By Sub

Orientation video for the Swan.

"We're going to have to watch that again."

I think the first time I was watching the scene that was the thought to cross my mind after it was over.

Ben eating his cereal while being held captive by the Losties in the Swan while threatening them.

"You guys got any milk?"
Vincent Lives is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-17, 09:47 AM   #76
gertie
I'll gertie
Squishes the Frog

You guys are really deep.

One of my favorite scenes was Hurley skipping over a fallen tree above a ravine and yelling "I'm SPRY!". That really made me giggle.

I'm now wanting truly to do a rewatch. Never thought I'd say it, but this was the most indelible tv show for me ever.

Mark Twain:

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
gertie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-17, 10:38 AM   #77
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertie View Post
You guys are really deep.

One of my favorite scenes was Hurley skipping over a fallen tree above a ravine and yelling "I'm SPRY!". That really made me giggle.

I'm now wanting truly to do a rewatch. Never thought I'd say it, but this was the most indelible tv show for me ever.
Hurley said he was spry also after he escaped one of Rousseau's traps. He was standing on a pressure switch. Jack and the others told him to stand still while they figured out how to save him. If he moved off the pressure switch a log with spikes would swing down. Hugo told them he thought he could escape on his own. They all yelled no, don't, etc. Hugo leaped off the switch, diving down to the right, and the spike log missed him.
He got up and said "I'm spry".

As much as certain of the characters annoyed or irritated me, I love the show.

Last edited by topcat; 05-21-17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 02:36 PM   #78
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

Least favorite scene: pretty much the entire episode Adrift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-17, 08:44 PM   #79
gertie
I'll gertie
Squishes the Frog

Expound, please. Episode titles don't mean much to me.

Mark Twain:

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
gertie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-17, 10:15 PM   #80
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Least favorite scene: pretty much the entire episode Adrift.
I didn't care the scenes of Michael and Sawyer drifting on the broken pieces of the raft. Sawyer saved Michaels life, then Michael can't stop blaming Sawyer for what went wrong. And I didn't really care for most of the flashback scenes involving Michael. You can tell I didn't enjoy watching Michael. lol

I am guessing this is probably what you didn't like also. It seems like most of the show was about Michael.

I liked the scenes involving Locke going into the hatch after Kate, meeting Desmond, and all that.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion »