Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > Mental Health (ASD, Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar, etc.)

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 08-20-17, 10:22 PM   #151
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Mental Health (ASD, Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Isn't that the thing though? *If* verbalizing thoughts to a sympathetic ear was supposedly more effective, at least even to some, then why do the results examining other studies not support this?
I am interested in discussing this specific issue as well. Not everybody who goes to a therapist is mentally ill. You've already done some research on this? Or are you parroting an article you read somewhere? No shame if you are parroting, i'm sure lots of us do that at times. Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-17, 11:03 PM   #152
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
A diet-based cure for diabetes (supposedly) has been found, and Big Pharm is filing injunction orders as we speak. Idk if it works or not, but i intend to buy the books either way, because there is a massive history of T2 Diabetes in my family, and i want to have a shot at an actual cure if there is one, and i'll gamble $40 on those books just to have them, so when it comes up in my health, the hundreds of thousands of dollars of treatments just might not be necessary. I'll do that because i KNOW that Big Pharm doesn't research cures or preventatives anymore, only treatments. Which is sickening in more ways than one.
I can tell you what it is, and I can also tell you that I have personally seen it work to both cure type II diabetes and also put stage 4 terminal cancer into remission. It's eating raw vegan. It works. My aunt had stage 4 colon cancer with a tumor the size of a grapefruit and 3 months at most to live. She went on a raw vegan diet and stopped smoking and within the three months when she was supposed to be dying, her tumor completely went away and her cancer became undetectable in her system.

The mother of a good friend of mine has a similar story with her diabetes. She had to inject herself with insulin two times a day before going raw vegan, and now takes no meds at all.

The problem is that it's hard to eat raw vegan. I did it before for 6 months and it isn't easy without really changing your mindset. After 5 years my aunt decided she wanted to enjoy life and went back to smoking and bacon, and her cancer came back with a vengeance and she died shortly after. My friend's mom is still on track though and doing really great.
Old 08-20-17, 11:15 PM   #153
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

One of my best friends' brothers was diagnosed hiv+ back in the early 90's and went on a raw vegan diet, and he still tests positive but never went in for protease inhibitors or any other medications, and he's still asymptomatic. That's a difficult diet, though, especially for a big guy like me who, when i do go back to work, will need lots of accessible protein in my diet. Another one of my best friends used a raw vegan diet to reverse damage from endocrine disruption, a condition the US medical community likes to pretend they've never heard of.

No, this is something relatively new. It looks like it relies on coconut oil, certain very specific blends of spices (*no whammies, no saffron, no whammies* i'm hoping, probably still be cheaper than meds though), and a variety of protein sources. Also it looks like most of the dishes are cooked. I don't have the books yet, and have to order them from across the pond before sale of them is blocked in the US.

I appreciate the thought and input though Liz.
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Last edited by Mr Mo; 08-20-17 at 11:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #154
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
One of my best friends' brothers was diagnosed hiv+ back in the early 90's and went on a raw vegan diet, and he still tests positive but never went in for protease inhibitors or any other medications, and he's still asymptomatic. That's a difficult diet, though, especially for a big guy like me who, when i do go back to work, will need lots of accessible protein in my diet. Another one of my best friends used a raw vegan diet to reverse damage from endocrine disruption, a condition the US medical community likes to pretend they've never heard of.

No, this is something relatively new. It looks like it relies on coconut oil, certain very specific blends of spices (*no whammies, no saffron, no whammies* i'm hoping, probably still be cheaper than meds though), and a variety of protein sources. Also it looks like most of the dishes are cooked. I don't have the books yet, and have to order them from across the pond before sale of them is blocked in the US.

I appreciate the thought and input though Liz.
Well, let me know what you find out. I am not diabetic but I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which is also associated with insulin resistance like diabetes. It would be interesting to learn what your findings are.

Also, in my experience eating a vegan diet and tracking our intake of nutrients, the supposed lack of protein is a myth. You do have to make sure that you eat a variety of vegetables to avoid missing out on certain amino acids, but really, you don't need meat and dairy to get plenty of protein. The thing that's hard, IMO, is adjusting mentally. Vegan food can be very satisfying but it's been ingrained in us (through various advertising methods from Big Food, IJS) that a meal is not truly a meal without meat/dairy. We are eating mostly vegan right now because for us it feels good to eat that way, but I know it's not for everyone, lol. We still eat meat once a week but we eat mostly vegetables and try to stay away from processed junk. It feels really great.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #155
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Oh, our bodies can synthesize proteins from vegetarian diets, i know that. Heck, that's a trick my parents taught me. I educated myself on all kinds of different diets when i was a pro cook, it's important to be able to make responsible suggestions when somebody says they're vegan or gluten-free, because neither diet is purely a trend, some people get seriously ill from violating their dietary guidelines, and even when they are just trend-followers, i still cared about following their wishes. Heck if i got a ticket that said vegan and had a whole wheat wrap, i always made sure they knew there was honey in those wraps. Most vegans don't really bother about honey, but some do.

I absolutely will share the results. And as there will likely be an injunction on selling this information soon, i should be able to then legally give it away for free in public, too. Hello, scanner!
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #156
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Marijuana can fight T2 diabetes. Moderate smokers show a heavily reduced risk of developing symptoms. Many many studies done on that correlation.

follow me on instagram
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM   #157
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Didn't seem to help my mom. She's been smoking pot since 1966, had T2 since 1984 at the age of 38. I plan to do some cooking for her soon, but with the stroke damage being probably mostly permanent, my best hopes are probably more preventing another rather than really making big steps in improving her current quality of life, which isn't terrible though she can't do all she'd like.

There are absolutely cannabinoids that have massive health benefits. I'll probably never be convinced that smoking the dried herbs is the best way to get them, but until better ways are widely available, i'll keep smoking occasionally. It really does help with pain, i just wish i could use a bit more without the side-effects (i don't really enjoy the buzz anymore).

Liz, Mrs Mo has polycysts too, and i am absolutely convinced that she's pre-diabetic, after seeing the same symptoms SO many times in my family. Supposedly they're recommending laser surgery for the cysts, do you know anything about that?
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM   #158
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

One of our candidates for Gov of Virginia this fall is a physician (pediatric neurologist) who wants to decriminalize marijuana. Quoted as saying (paraphrase) "People need to realize that we already use many medications derived from plants."

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #159
Mattie
Cons the Conman

A study published in the American Journal of Medicine showed that frequent and active cannabis users were able to metabolize carbohydrates more efficiently than those who didn’t use cannabis. The study examined about 4,657 men and women between 2005 and 2010. 48 percent of the participants smoked cannabis at least once and 12 percent of the participants were active cannabis smokers.

After controlling for factors that might put people at risk for diabetes including exercise, economic status, alcohol use and cigarette smoking, researchers observed the results. They found that the active cannabis users had insulin levels that were 16 percent lower than those who once used or never used the drug.

It is fair to assume that this study would have varying results on the two different types of diabetes, but researchers note these results apply for both Type 1 and Type 2.

In Type 1, cannabis was able to lower the fasting level, which might eliminate or reduce, the need for an insulin injection at the time. In Type 2, the cannabis has the ability to make patients less resistant to the insulin and help them manage their glucose levels more effectively.

Marijuana has also been noted to treat glaucoma, which can develop from having diabetes. People who have diabetes are 40 percent more likely to develop glaucoma as compared to people who don’t have it. Typically, glaucoma occurs when too much pressure builds inside the eye, but it has been noted that forms of cannabis can help decrease that pressure.

Scientists can’t directly say that cannabis cures diabetes, but they can confirm that it’s a powerful tool that can treat the disease and its subsequent side effects.

follow me on instagram
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #160
Mattie
Cons the Conman

A chemical compound in marijuana which lowers inflammation in the body is naturally produced from foods such as meat, eggs and fish, research suggests.

Cannabinoids have previously been reported as having the potential to help treat type 2 diabetes because it could treat inflammation, which is central to the development of insulin resistance.

Now research shows that the chemical reactions within foods containing omega-3 fatty acids result in the body naturally producing cannabinoids - but without the psychotropic high.

"Our team discovered an enzymatic pathway that converts omega-3-derived endocannabinoids into more potent anti-inflammatory molecules that predominantly bind to the receptors found in the immune system," said lead author Aditi Das, University of Illinois.

"This finding demonstrates how omega-3 fatty acids can produce some of the same medicinal qualities as marijuana, but without a psychotropic effect."

Das and colleagues made this discovery upon experimenting with animal tissue. They identified a set of reactions that led some cannabinoids binding to two receptors in the body. One receptor is in the nervous system; the other in the immune system.

"Some cannabinoids, such as THC in marijuana or endocannabinoids, can bind to these receptors and elicit anti-inflammatory and anti-pain action," added Das.

Omega-3 fatty acids are found in foods rich in healthy fats and are widely advocated for people with diabetes as part of low-carb diet. Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids include nuts, avocado, fish, eggs and meat.

The study team believes the production of cannabinoids from omega-3 fatty acids could play a critical role in treating inflammation. But research is some way off being able to validate this link in humans.

But, the researchers added, "their identification may aid in the development of therapeutics for neuroinflammatory and cerebrovascular diseases".

The findings appear online in the journal in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

follow me on instagram
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »