Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Other Media > Anime > What [anime] are you watching?

Old 08-16-17, 07:16 PM   #561
Zaphod of Whiskers
Sees Walt

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Re: What [anime] are you watching?

lol Mo, Lupin looks like it was drawn by the same people who did Speed Racer. The faces definitely look similar. Jigen's beard reminds me of Inspector Detector's beard.

The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together
Before we get much older
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-17, 07:31 PM   #562
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

It's totally the animation that cracks me up. I haven't actually followed the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-17, 08:00 PM   #563
MinaKitty
Requestatoriumatrix
Hears the Whispers

Tournaments Won: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to MinaKitty Send a message via Skype™ to MinaKitty

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro was Hayao Miyazaki's feature film debut. That being said, I can't remember if I have actually seen it. I feel like I have, but don't remember.
Old 08-17-17, 01:23 AM   #564
frogge
Eats, bugs & geeks
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
I watched an ep of Attack on Titan on toonami a few weeks ago. It was cool looking but didn't really grab me either.
Hmmm, just to make sure, you were watching in order, right? However, I can easily see it not being for everyone.

Quote:
I do trust Frogge when it comes to anime things.
I'm feelin' the love....

For comedies, Polar Bear Cafe has a very dry sense of humor and a lot of puns (which don't always translate). I think you would like Girls Monthly Nozaki-kun because of its host of very strange characters (and it's short)! There is Rock Lee, which is a parody of Naruto in case you watched that. (It's funny every single time they make the very uptight character Neji dress up in drag!) Lastly, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K is pretty funny, too.
Old 08-17-17, 10:52 AM   #565
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

No, i was channel surfing. I don't usually stop for Toonami anymore, but something about the art grabbed my attention and i watched most of the episode. It's probable that the reason i didn't really get it is that it's a serial and i just happened upon some random episode for which i had no context. Well, maybe not NO context, i know what Titan is, but no story nor character context.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-17, 08:03 PM   #566
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

I think there is a flaw with the "modernized" Lupin III. Aside from the fact that he's a character created in the late 1950s as the grandson of an established fictional character from the 1910s. Modern technology and forensics would defeat him. Abigail Sciuto 1, Arsene Lupin III 0. I think the franchise need an upgrade. I think the franchise needs Lupin V. Here's the setting:

Authorities in St Petersburg receive a note that the fabulous Faberge Egg in the Hermitage is going to be stolen within 24 hours...and it's signed "Lupin V". Obviously an elaborate hoax. After all, Lupin III died in 1966, left no children, so some copycat is playing on his legacy. Still, precautions are taken, security is checked, double checked, to no avail, because within hours of receipt of the message one of the priceless eggs does indeed vanish. Museum officials are shocked. The security services are flabbergasted. Putin is incensed. Two days later an anonymous tip directs police in London to a locker in that city's famed Underground Rail where the egg is found, but security footage reveals only a blonde woman in shapeless clothing placing the egg in the locker at a late hour when there were few other riders. Along with the egg is a note reading "That was too easy", signed "Lupin V".

And so it is revealed (to the viewer) that Arsene Lupin III did not die in 1966 as is widely believed. Instead he married Mine Fujiko, who finally ceased her resistance and together they faked their deaths. They gave up attempting to steal famous items which could never be hocked for the more lucrative trade of stealing far less valuable items which could be, acquired false identities, lived a life of relative ease, raised a son whose birth certificate said one thing while his actual identity was, in fact. Arsene Lupin IV, and went into legitimate business, turning his parents' ill-gotten, sizable fortune, into a quite legal, rather obscenely sized one. He in turn raised a son who had zero interest in legitimate business but full interest in continuing the family tradition. So Lupin V hides behind the identity of a wealthy heir, nobody knowing that he's no copycat but the actual grandson and great-great-grandson of a pair of master thieves who each baffled the best detectives of Europe in their time...and now it's his turn.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-17, 09:01 PM   #567
MinaKitty
Requestatoriumatrix
Hears the Whispers

Tournaments Won: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to MinaKitty Send a message via Skype™ to MinaKitty

I would watch that.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #568
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

So...what am i watching this season? Nothing really spectacular. After some pretty good shows in the Winter and Spring seasons the Summer is a let down. Sakura Quest and Sakurada Reset are both going strong in their second cours, there is a second season of New Game! entitled New Game!! (see what they did there...) which is not quite as entertaining as the first.

There are a couple of shows using the gimmick of "resurrected in a magical world", neither is all that but at least both are entertaining. One is a mecha, the other is a mild harem.

The mecha is Knight's and Magic. It centers around a twenty-something IT wizard, one of those guys who keeps a company's entire in-house system running and somehow manages to never not look like he's having sushi with the CEO in 15 minutes. In his spare time he's a collector of model robots, taking that to near otaku level. On night in the rain his is killed by a speeding driver while crossing the street and somehow is reborn in as the son of a noble in a world with medieval technological level and "mechas" which are powered by small reactors which draw mana from the surroundings and convert it to usable energy. At about ten years old he sees one of these, calls it a "robot" and the memories of his previous life return. The series then is about him using his abilities as a technician to become a prodigy in the design of these "Knight Runner" mechas. the use of which is to defend human settlements against the large monsters which inhabit the wilds of that world. The thing which is preventing it from being a really good series is that there is no sense of direction, no point. He's revolutionizing their mechas, but to what end?

The harem is Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni, English In a Different World With a Smartphone. Here it starts with a lad, high-school age, drinking tea with God, who tells him that he was mistakenly killed. Should not have happened, our bad, we sincerely apologize. The kid takes a rather calm approach, readily forgives God the error (which establishes his demeanor through the entire series...he's calm, mostly). God tells him that to atone for the error their are going to give him another life. Not in his own world, that would be impossible, but in a completely different world. The kid asks if he might be able to keep his smartphone and it's functionality and have the ability to recharge it, God agrees, saying he will be able to recharge it with magic, since he's sending him to a magical world, but he won't be able to call back to Earth. He will be able to receive calls from God, however. That's the set-up. So...did you ever go to the store, buy a video game, PC or console, doesn't matter which, get it home, look online for the cheat codes, start the game on "Easy" and unlock all abilities? Me neither. But that is what God the writers have done for this kid. Magic in this world comes in six basic element forms plus "void magic" which allows users to cast any special spell they can understand. A rare magic user can handle three elements, two us not uncommon, most people can only use one type. The kid can use all six plus he has no apparent limit on his ability to understand void magic spells, plus he can channel spells through his smartphone. That much power there has to be an incredibly horrific bad guy wondering around somewhere so he can save the world, but nope, nada. At least not so far. The saving grace is that the lead character and his companions are likable and genuine. This goes a long way to offsetting the lack of any sort of actual conflict in the story.

Old Today, 12:01 AM   #569
frogge
Eats, bugs & geeks
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat View Post
So...what am i watching this season? Nothing really spectacular. After some pretty good shows in the Winter and Spring seasons the Summer is a let down.
Agreed. It's why I haven't written anything about this season. My Hero Academia also returned and is going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat View Post
There are a couple of shows using the gimmick of "resurrected in a magical world", neither is all that but at least both are entertaining. One is a mecha, the other is a mild harem.

The mecha is Knight's and Magic. It centers around a twenty-something IT wizard, one of those guys who keeps a company's entire in-house system running and somehow manages to never not look like he's having sushi with the CEO in 15 minutes. In his spare time he's a collector of model robots, taking that to near otaku level. On night in the rain his is killed by a speeding driver while crossing the street and somehow is reborn in as the son of a noble in a world with medieval technological level and "mechas" which are powered by small reactors which draw mana from the surroundings and convert it to usable energy. At about ten years old he sees one of these, calls it a "robot" and the memories of his previous life return. The series then is about him using his abilities as a technician to become a prodigy in the design of these "Knight Runner" mechas. the use of which is to defend human settlements against the large monsters which inhabit the wilds of that world. The thing which is preventing it from being a really good series is that there is no sense of direction, no point. He's revolutionizing their mechas, but to what end?
That's one of the problems. I would add that the protagonist is way too perfect. Watch as he does the impossible. Every. Single. Day.
Old Today, 04:31 AM   #570
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogge View Post
Agreed. It's why I haven't written anything about this season.
Yeah. Plus...I think SukaSuka might have broken me for a little while there.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Other Media > Anime »