Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NBA/WNBA Thread

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 02-15-17, 09:59 PM   #2681
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz
Re: NBA/WNBA Thread

LOL! I know right? I thought it was great. Westbrook yelling "I'm comin'!" ("I" not "We", which is his main problem in a nutshell), and Durant saying "You're losing!", which they did, by alot. I felt like it just sort of highlighted the reson that KD is now in blue and gold.

Westbrook is an amazing player, but he isolates himself and tries to win by himself. Triple-doubles are great, and he's great at getting them, but IMO he does not help his team grow and improve. He also makes a lot of underhand comments on social media and then just happens to wait until they're in OKC to talk crap (where was that when they played in Oakland?). I don't know the man, and I know he doesn't have a lot of help there, but he comes across to me as childish and self-centered.

I loved how Green and Curry got their hands on the cupcake shirts and wore them in the post-game interviews, lmao! This team always has each others' backs.

I just think that people have it wrong about KD and why he left. It wasn't about an easy ring or anything like that. He just loves basketball and hates drama, and wanted to play with like-minded people that he likes playing with that actually play like a team instead of the Westbrook show. I know that the fans are disappointed and I don't blame them for that, but man, give the man some respect that put so much of himself into your team and community for 9 years.
Old 02-16-17, 12:40 AM   #2682
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
LOL! I know right? I thought it was great. Westbrook yelling "I'm comin'!" ("I" not "We", which is his main problem in a nutshell), and Durant saying "You're losing!", which they did, by alot. I felt like it just sort of highlighted the reson that KD is now in blue and gold...
Yeah, the back-and-forth went on forever.

Honestly, I hate that their relationship has gone down the drain. Even if you can't play on the same team, you can have respect for a former player.

Look at the "King" James and DWade! LeBron left the Heat, but they're still the best of friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
...Westbrook is an amazing player, but he isolates himself and tries to win by himself. Triple-doubles are great, and he's great at getting them, but IMO he does not help his team grow and improve. He also makes a lot of underhand comments on social media and then just happens to wait until they're in OKC to talk crap (where was that when they played in Oakland?). I don't know the man, and I know he doesn't have a lot of help there, but he comes across to me as childish and self-centered...
I couldn't agree more.

If you ask me, that had a lot to do with KD leaving. As you mentioned, a lot of times he isolates for himself. Now, he's improved quit a bit. I remember several seasons ago, he'd play so out of control it would be hard follow.
Old 02-17-17, 12:16 AM   #2683
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

The scores this year have been off the richter! And it's not lack of defense, it's that the whole "up-tempo" concept has finally gone league-wide!

The most important thread you probably haven't read has been summarized excellently. Take a little time and read the summary, starting at the post linked here: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...63#post3741663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
I've always appreciated your restraint, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-17, 05:56 AM   #2684
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

About that defense thing...The Bulls "held" GS under 100 points in beating them at United Center the other day. The quotation marks are because the scoring was the result not so much of defending by the some side but hideous shooting by the Dubs. As former Supes play-by-play Kevin Colabro once said. "they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat".

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-17, 02:15 AM   #2685
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

Hideous is a great word for it, Cat! LOL! I mean, every team has off nights but that performance was definitely hard to watch.

The Dubs are definitely in a "slump" by their standards, but sheesh, you should hear the way some of these people are talking around here, like we are doomed because we finally lost two games in a row. I get it, we had a few bad games, but come on people, have some faith! Fair-weather fans are so irritating, lol.
Old 03-06-17, 04:53 AM   #2686
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Every Warriors game is on here, either ESPN or TNT. Christ on a crutch, the Sonics never had it this good. Have to thank the Dubs for being the hot team, I guess. If they weren't we would be getting fed a steady diet of Blazers.

Old 03-06-17, 07:48 PM   #2687
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I couldn't watch yesterday's game. I honestly thought it would be their third lost in a row. They just couldn't put away the Knicks until the end. Where's Mr Mo?

If they'd lost three in a row, I would've stay away from MyMedia. Liz would've been hard to live with around here.
Old 03-06-17, 08:14 PM   #2688
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

LOL! Nah, I'm a long-haul kind of girl, and also an ex-athlete. I know that slumps happen, and any time you can win as much as they do for as long as they do is a blessing, not a given. You have to remember, I have been a Warriors fan since the late 80's, so I have been through decades of losses and disappointments with this team. You will not be hearing any complaining from me, that's for sure, lol.
Old 03-07-17, 06:10 AM   #2689
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

And i'm still paying attention too, Hodge!

The MSG fiasco between Charles Oakley and James Dolan seemed to get a lot more press than it deserved, but it was at least amusing. Oak is truly a treasured alum for Knick fan old enough to remember when the guys who made up The Dream Team were tearing up the Association. He was one of the better big men of his era, and gave us a lot of great moments. As an analogy to a younger fan, i'd say it was like having a big man version of Jeremy Lin who played like that for ten years. All heart and no quit in that guy.

It's a sad state of affairs that the owner of the team had to apologize to Oak after Oak was the one who insulted him, but at least he sort of admits he deserves the insult by being big enough to be the one to step forward and apologize. I don't think I saw Silver holding his arm up behind his back, either.

The Knicks season has been a disappointment this year, no doubt. I still think they have the talent they need to be able to win a playoff series, maybe even two, but they are SO far away from realizing it. Only a few teams in the East have worse records - at this rate they won't even lose a playoff series. (cue PLAYOFFS?!?!?)

Everybody wants to blame Dolan, and I get that. He's definitely made some poor decisions over the years. I don't think bringing Phil Jackson on board was one of them, nor do I think overpaying Carmelo was one. That mess is exclusively on the two of them. Jackson especially should know better than to keep that mess out of the rags, and Carmelo should really grow up a bit and realize that Phil Jackson might be able to teach him something.

There's been some tough talk from the top brass about getting serious about the triangle, which means two things: Anthony either gets on board or they WILL find a way to ship him out; and probably there will be a shake-up in the roster this off-season. There's already a lot of youth on the roster, and iirc they'll have picks to trade too. Anthony takes a lot off the cap, but there's still space to work with there, too.

Anthony's refusal to play a role, after he demanded top dollar for his services, IMO, makes HIM the biggest goat in NYC right now. Not Hornicek, not Dolan, not Oak, but my boy Carmelo. Make that my former boy unless he shifts gear NOW. Maybe the triangle wouldn't have worked with the personnel that were brought in. But maybe it would've. Anthony's greed is the only reason we'll never know. Not his greed for money - they gave him that. His greed for stats? Is trying to buck for a HOF seat with this nonsense? I've admired and enjoyed him for a very long time. It's hard to see him doing the wrong thing now, and to the team that he and I both love, too.
The most important thread you probably haven't read has been summarized excellently. Take a little time and read the summary, starting at the post linked here: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...63#post3741663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
I've always appreciated your restraint, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-17, 06:38 AM   #2690
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Oak is one of my prototypes for the "Lunchpail Crew". It's all guys who never made Cooperstown or Canton or Springfield. They just showed upon gamedays with their game in a beat-up steel lunch pail next to a couple of ham-and-cheese sandwiches and a thermos full of Campbell's Chicken Noodle and went to work.

ETA: Speaking of which, have to tell you about the latest addition to the Lunchpail Crew.

First, background info. On the north side of Maui there is a community named Haiku. Small place just off the Hana Highway. Sort of a Mayberry little place in that unique melange of Japanese, American, and Hawaiian cultures way, farms and a cluster of a few blocks of residential, local kids go to school a few miles south in Makawao, the "big city", Kahului, the hub of north-central Maui's tourism is a few miles to the west. Sounds like a wonderful place. If I were born and raised there I would never leave.

But one kid did leave. Zach Scott graduated from Maui High in Kahului and left to play soccer at a school on the Mainland most people had hardly heard of at the time. A couple of years later the men's basketball team did put the college on the map, and keep it there...That's right. Gonzaga. Should note here at the rival to Maui High in sports is Baldwin High in Wailuku. Kurt Suzuki graduated from Baldwin only a few years after Scott graduated from Maui, he left to play baseball at Cal State Fullerton and eventually the Bigs. Finishing up, Scott decided to take a chance on moving to the next level, going pro as a soccer player. His position was defender, he could play either as a centerback or an outside back. None of the MLS teams seemed interested but the second-tier, then known as the A-League, team closest to Spokane was the Seattle Sounders and they gave him a tryout. They liked him, put him on squad, but the contract was a sketchy thing. There was so little money that he would not get paid for being on the team or training with them or even making the game-day roster...he would only get paid if he were actually playing in a league game. In May of 2002 he made his debut as a professional soccer player, and earned his first check in the process, when he was named to the starting XI for the Sounders. At the end of the season he singed a contract to play indoor soccer with the Cleveland Force of MISL, was traded halfway through the season to the San Diego Sockers. The 17 games he played between those two teams were the only times he would take the field professionally for a team NOT named "Sounders". He returned to Seattle, stayed with the Sounders until the team folded as part of the MLS expansion. In the process he was on teams winning one A-League title and two USL Division 1 titles over seven years.

Several of the players from the now-defunct "Seattle Sounders" were invited to try out for the new Seattle Sounders FC of MLS, Scott was one of them and one of a few who made the roster. His role was different with the new club. Instead of being the everyday starter at centerback he was first-choice as a fill-in if one of the two regulars was unavailable. In the first season, 2009, he was almost invisible, and an injury kept him out for almost all of 2010. For the next six seasons he never appeared in fewer than 20 games or more than 33 across all competitions.

In September, 2016 he announced that he would be retiring at the end of the season. The return from long-term injury of Panama MNT captain Roman Torres meant that his services were unneeded down the stretch, his last action had been filling in while Chad Marshall underwent concussion protocol, he was on the bench should anything happen to those two stalwarts for the remaining games including the title match in Toronto where Torres put in the last spot-kick goal to see him end his professional career, 15 years a Sounder, as a champion of MLS.

His final stats, 15 years, 289 league games combined between Seattle Sounders and Seattle Sounders FC, 11 goals.

Zach Scott, Welcome to the Lunchpail Crew.

Last edited by TheBigCat; 03-07-17 at 08:41 AM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion »