Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Game of Thrones > LTV Tourney - Syrio Forel vs. Jaime Lannister (Elite Eight)

View Poll Results: Who is the Greatest Warrior?
Syrio Forel, sword, lightly/unarmored 5 31.25%
Jaime Lannister, sword, plate/mail 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-17, 04:29 AM   #1
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

LTV Tourney - Syrio Forel vs. Jaime Lannister (Elite Eight)

From the original post:

Basic Guidelines:

--Book OR Show info can be used to make your decision (or defend your decision).

--Each Warrior is armed and armored as they generally are in the books. They are considered to be in their "top form," uninjured, etc.

--Weapons do not include anything with independent will (human or animal-- having Grey Wolf does not make Robb Stark a better warrior, because Grey Wolf has his own skills and autonomy). Each Warrior needs to be considered as fighting alone, not with "back up" from friends, and fighting in a standard combat situation (not relying on ambush/stealth, for example).

--ONLY use for consideration what you have seen in the book/show (for example, mentions of someone's prowess 15 years before the book/show would not be applicable).

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 04:36 AM   #2
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: LTV Tourney - Syrio Forel vs. Jaime Lannister (Elite Eight)

The best sword in Westeros vs. the First Sword of Braavos?

I'm going Syrio here.

Jaime isn't particularly exceptional for speed or strength (as opposed to, say, Oberyn or Gregor), he's exceptional for skill. He's damn good at fighting. And he loves it.

But, skill-for-skill, I think Syrio would best him. Syrio IS a sword. That is all.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 05:07 AM   #3
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Wow, Vonn, that's bold.

If it was Jon vs Jamie (in the Jon thread I said he and everyone would lose to the top 4) then there would be no contest. Jamie's one hand could skewer Jon while Jamie ate dinner and did the nasty with Cersei long before Jon could finish a brood.

But Syrio. I'm now wondering about this matchup. I didn't realize this would be the pair. It's a 4 vs a 5, right?

I've got to think on it.
Old 05-22-17, 07:14 AM   #4
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Oh gosh, idk who to pick here.

I keep flashing back to the moment when Jamie threatens to send Edmure Tully's son to him via a trebuchet. Dude would do literally ANYTHING to win... I think he gets my vote.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 01:58 PM   #5
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Don't be quick to judge here folk... think about this a long time.

We tend to overly fantasize Syrio... I am guilty of it as well. Yes he was first sword of Braavos, but what do we really know of his fighting skill? Beating Meryn Trant is not
a good gauge because Trant was a baffoon. The other guys with Trant that day were just men of the city watch, hardly a Jaime Lannister. What evidence outside of our own
romantic visions do we have?

Jaime is legendary... and despite what we think, Knights were not all slow and lumbering. Their armor could articulate very well and a trained night was not like a
WW1 battle tank while wearing it. Jaime had the best armor in all of Westeros.. light and strong. Plus Syrio is wearing no protection... any blow from the Lannister could be catastrophic. Think about it...one strike.

It was thought by some that the only people that could have competed with Jaime were young Selmy at his very best, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Jaime was the youngest to ever be put on the Kingsguard.

Don't get me wrong... I have said much to defend Jaime, but I am not writing off Syrio by any means. He is deadly accurate with his weapon and can skewer a green pea. Jaime is unlikely to fight with a helm, and his armor does have weak spots.

This isn't clear cut. Jaime could win on day 1 and if they did it again on day 2 we could have a different result. For me this one does come down to bit of conjecture.

Barristan Selmy once said that what makes the difference between living and dying could be as simple as a wet spot in the grass or what you had for dinner the night before.

I've got to think about this...

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.

Last edited by Warthawg1; 05-22-17 at 02:28 PM.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 02:11 PM   #6
Ian
You are tearing me apart, Lisa!
Cons the Conman

Is there a fight in the book that Jaime has actually won?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 02:11 PM   #7
Ian
You are tearing me apart, Lisa!
Cons the Conman

I'm asking honestly. I really don't remember.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 02:42 PM   #8
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

The first sword of Braavos is chosen because he can best protect the Sealord... from enemies seen and unseen.

Does that mean he is the best pure warrior?

From chapter 50, Arya IV in A Game of Thrones

Syrio tells her how he became the First Sword of Braavos.

Syrio explains that there were many who were stronger, faster, or younger, but he was the best because he could see the truth. After the death of the previous First Sword, many bravos were called to the Sealord and as many were sent away. Finally, Syrio was called before the Sealord, who had a fat yellow cat on his lap. The Sealord said the animal had been brought to him from a faraway land by one of his captains and asked if Syrio had ever seen her like. Syrio replied that he had seen a thousand like him in the alleys of Braavos, and that same day Syrio was named the First Sword. Arya says she does not understand. Syrio explains that the cat was just an ordinary one, but the other men all expected a marvelous beast, so that was what they saw. In addition, the Sealord had called it “her” and that was what the others saw, even though it was clearly a tomcat. Arya understands then, and Syrio tells her to uses her senses first and her mind second.

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 03:10 PM   #9
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

With Brienne losing, now I don't care who wins here. If no Brienne, then no reason for Jamie. I'll wait to cast my vote here until the last minute. To see if Brienne rallies.
Old 05-22-17, 04:13 PM   #10
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Jaime needs to live up to his name and reputation which gives Syrio the edge over the Kingslayer. Syrio wins, IMO.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Game of Thrones »