Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NBA/WNBA Thread

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 05-31-16, 08:13 PM   #2601
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: NBA/WNBA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found in the Land of Lost View Post
I think that they are right there. They just need maybe a little more maturing together and some leadership that will help them trust each other. Westbrook had a lot more self control this series than he usually has, and that was when they were at their best. If he can continue to maintain that level of self-discipline they will be deadly, IMO. They have so much size and speed and talent, if they reign it in the rest of us are in trouble, lol.
You know FitLoL, I think they're on the cusp as well.

And anther point where we agree, that's with Westbrook controlling his need to take everything and put it on his shoulders. I thought, the majority of the series, he held back and doled the ball to his teammates.

Now, listening to sports radio this morning, they said he was just the opposite. They put the majority of the blame squarely on his shoulders.

I truly hope KD decides to stay in OKC. Especially if he's looking to max out at the end of his 10th year. It was mentioned, he stands to make $200,000,000 over 5 years in that contract. Just damn! Again, if he stays for another year, he'll still have Westbrook (FA, 2017) for that year. And, as we both feel, they're real close.
Old 05-31-16, 08:23 PM   #2602
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Trying in vain to find a simple display of who scored what in game 7. What a nightmare. I was trying to show that it is ultimately the strength of the supporting cast (with stars and leaders of course) that ultimately decide championships. Locally, way back when, look at the Pistons nearly winning 3 of 3 appearances while the subsequent Bulls won 3 and then 3 more. For the Pistons, Thomas couldn't do it alone. For the Bulls, Jordan and Pippen couldn't do it alone. I didn't watch game 7, but if the reliance was totally on Curry without a more than competent and executing team, I mean forget about it. I could be wrong. But it would be helpful if I could secure stats without a repetition of praising articles.

As for OKC, they as a team knocked off an older San Antonio team. Then nearly knocked off a younger GS team. But in game 6 they didn't play like a team hungry for a victory. They settled; therefore, they gave the game to a hungrier, elimination-bound GS. You got to score score score against GS. A defensive scrum isnt going to work. Defense merely means you keep a high scoring team for scoring more, which is important yes, but you cant rely on it without maintaining an offensive barrage yourself. Basically, in game 6, OKC held the door open and GS walked right through. Game 6 is what mattered. I would have been totally surprised if GS suddenly went lethargic enough in game 7 to allow a win for OKC. It could have happened. But I would have been surprised.

A shorter answer for OKC is to transfer to the East, where great teams are in short supply.
Old 05-31-16, 11:03 PM   #2603
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
Trying in vain to find a simple display of who scored what in game 7. What a nightmare. I was trying to show that it is ultimately the strength of the supporting cast (with stars and leaders of course) that ultimately decide championships. Locally, way back when, look at the Pistons nearly winning 3 of 3 appearances while the subsequent Bulls won 3 and then 3 more. For the Pistons, Thomas couldn't do it alone. For the Bulls, Jordan and Pippen couldn't do it alone. I didn't watch game 7, but if the reliance was totally on Curry without a more than competent and executing team, I mean forget about it. I could be wrong. But it would be helpful if I could secure stats without a repetition of praising articles.
Yep, I totally agree. Andre Igoudala comes to mind, without whom we would have been on our way home in game 6 and OKC would have been Cleveland-bound. The Dubs also wouldn't have won it all last year without him getting under Lebron's skin and making him miss oodles of shots. Don't even get me started on Green, and then all of the other guys who have lots of clutch moments.

Quote:
As for OKC, they as a team knocked off an older San Antonio team. Then nearly knocked off a younger GS team. But in game 6 they didn't play like a team hungry for a victory. They settled; therefore, they gave the game to a hungrier, elimination-bound GS. You got to score score score against GS. A defensive scrum isnt going to work. Defense merely means you keep a high scoring team for scoring more, which is important yes, but you cant rely on it without maintaining an offensive barrage yourself. Basically, in game 6, OKC held the door open and GS walked right through. Game 6 is what mattered. I would have been totally surprised if GS suddenly went lethargic enough in game 7 to allow a win for OKC. It could have happened. But I would have been surprised.
I disagree with the bolded. I don't think they settled. I think that after blowing GS out badly in 3 and 4, they became overly confident in their ability to beat them in OKC. In game 6, when the Warriors were not so easy to beat and were biting at their heels, that confidence started to erode and panic set in. They lost their confidence in their game plan and their team, lost their composure, and stopped passing the ball and tried to score, score, score by themselves. It's what killed them in the end. I don't think their losing came from not wanting it as much or settling. They lost their patience and composure and GS gained theirs back, simple as that. They panicked.
Old 05-31-16, 11:11 PM   #2604
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Trying in vain to find a simple display of who scored what in game 7. What a nightmare. I was trying to show that it is ultimately the strength of the supporting cast (with stars and leaders of course) that ultimately decide championships. Locally, way back when, look at the Pistons nearly winning 3 of 3 appearances while the subsequent Bulls won 3 and then 3 more. For the Pistons, Thomas couldn't do it alone. For the Bulls, Jordan and Pippen couldn't do it alone. I didn't watch game 7, but if the reliance was totally on Curry without a more than competent and executing team, I mean forget about it. I could be wrong. But it would be helpful if I could secure stats without a repetition of praising articles...
They had those stat this morning, BA.

IIRC, the GSW bench outscored the Thunder bench, 20-12, and that doesn't break out the 3-pointers. Without a doubt, the Warrior bench, and we're talking about a "deep" bench, dominated OKCs.

Quote:
...As for OKC, they as a team knocked off an older San Antonio team. Then nearly knocked off a younger GS team. But in game 6 they didn't play like a team hungry for a victory. They settled; therefore, they gave the game to a hungrier, elimination-bound GS. You got to score score score against GS. A defensive scrum isnt going to work. Defense merely means you keep a high scoring team for scoring more, which is important yes, but you cant rely on it without maintaining an offensive barrage yourself. Basically, in game 6, OKC held the door open and GS walked right through. Game 6 is what mattered. I would have been totally surprised if GS suddenly went lethargic enough in game 7 to allow a win for OKC. It could have happened. But I would have been surprised...
At the start of the 3rd-quarter, GSW hit three-3s in-a-row, which put them in the lead. That is so gut-wrenching. You could see it on the faces of the Thunder players. 'Here we go again!'

Here's something else that finally dawned on me. If the GSW are hitting 3s and their opponent is hitting 2s, they're going to win. It's just math!

In a previous post, after game-5, I said GSW would win in 7. It was obvious in game-6, OKC tried not to loose, instead of trying to win that game. IMO, game 7 was a foregone conclusion. I didn't expect it to be as close as it was. The Warriors won that series by winning game-6.
Old 05-31-16, 11:34 PM   #2605
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

I wonder if succumbing to pressure and not playing to win are part of the same thing. I don't know for sure. I would almost have to review game 6 to decide. Which won't happen.

Maybe what Im saying is that while OKC let GS overwhelm them, I wonder if their game plan or confidence was in fact not strong enough for the challenge. I think what you're saying fitlol is that they were over-confident and that failed them. I think when you're overconfident, part of that though is a sign of underplanning, a coaching & player consideration. I would expect GS to play their best at least some time during the game, if not much of the game, and would plan to play the best and toughest and most skilfull way possible. In the end, GS proved to be the better team.

I'm just processing here. Not disputing.

I guess.
Old 06-02-16, 07:53 PM   #2606
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Well, we all got the teams we wanted (I actually wanted the Clippers ), it starts tonight 9:00pm/ET.

This is going to be like a prize-fight. The opponents are going to use game 1, as a feeling out game. Curious to see how it goes.

Almost forgot! First salvo goes to GSW. They're going to start Iggy at the 3. They plan on putting a hand in "King" James face from the tip-off.
Old 06-02-16, 08:16 PM   #2607
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

I am a little torn on how I feel about Andre starting. On one hand I'm glad that he gets the nod to start after handling Lebron so well (and earning Finals MVP) last year. Plus I guess it's good in a way to start out strong. On the other hand, I was kind of hoping that they would hold off until later in the series, or at least later in the game. He played like 43 minutes in Game 7 of the WF series. This is a best of 7 and I don't want him getting tired out. He's no spring chicken!
Old 06-03-16, 04:42 AM   #2608
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

First game to the Warriors. Congrats to them.

Didn't watch the game. Just checked it every so often.

Game two on Sunday!
Old 06-03-16, 05:20 PM   #2609
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

The Dubs bench played a great game. What I was especially impressed by overall was the Warriors' defense...nearly flawless switching and helping at just the right times. It was awesome. Steph and Klay didn't score much (only 20 pts between them!), but I think that because everyone else was scoring so well, they never felt any urgency to score as they aren't really guys who care that much about their numbers.

I LOVED seeing Livingston play such a great game and getting props from everyone. I really love what he adds to the team so it's nice to see him be in the limelight for a night. He had trouble doing much against OKC because their size and quickness cancels out the height/length advantage that he usually has. I am hoping that he continues to make an impact in this series, although I'm sure that the Cavs' defense will be paying him a lot more attention moving forward.

I'm sure that the Cavs will be making adjustments and we will see a different team in game 2. Both teams have playmakers who can get hot and score all over the place, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. It's just the beginning.
Old 06-03-16, 08:52 PM   #2610
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Is it just me, or was this easier than expected?

Yeah, the "Splash Bros" weren't on, but that bench played lights-out. GSWs bench outscored the Cavs, 45-10!

IIRC, the Cavs only led twice in the game, that doesn't help their confidence at all. I hope the Warriors don't forget last year, when they won the opener then lost the next two straight. While you have your foot on their necks, keep pushing down. Don't let them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
...Almost forgot! First salvo goes to GSW. They're going to start Iggy at the 3. They plan on putting a hand in "King" James face from the tip-off.
Quote:
I am a little torn on how I feel about Andre starting. On one hand I'm glad that he gets the nod to start after handling Lebron so well (and earning Finals MVP) last year. Plus I guess it's good in a way to start out strong. On the other hand, I was kind of hoping that they would hold off until later in the series, or at least later in the game. He played like 43 minutes in Game 7 of the WF series. This is a best of 7 and I don't want him getting tired out. He's no spring chicken!
Not sure what happened, but Iggy didn't start. He came in from the bench, which he's done the majority of the time this season. But he and the bench (can you say, Livingston?) played a phenomenal game, both offensively and defensively.

Quote:
...I'm sure that the Cavs will be making adjustments and we will see a different team in game 2. Both teams have playmakers who can get hot and score all over the place, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. It's just the beginning.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't want GSW to forget last season's finals.

They won game #1, then proceeded to loose the next two. Granted after that, they won three straight to take the Title, but the Cavs are at full-strength. It won't be east!