Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Ghost Story : Lost Shines

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 04-26-12, 08:26 PM   #161
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

Re: + Ghost Story : Lost Shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
Jacob and MiB were just another couple of guys that got brought to the Island.
You conveniently forgot the part that we learned that "Jacob was the guy that brought people to the Island, and not "The Island" as Locke mistakenly thought and sgt continues to think."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
We simply didn't get to learn as much about that character as we wanted to. Darlton chose to keep that part of their "iceberg" submerged.
We learned that Jacob was the person responsible for bringing people to the Island, and that MiB was the entity responsible for conning Locke into thinking The Island was responsible for bringing him there. What we didn't learn is not narrative and cannot be analyzed.

Face the facts - your version of the story never came to pass. Hence, all of the awful and offbase theories and predictions. Twist the narrative all you like, you will always end up arguing that what you believe is true despite "not getting to learn as much about the Island as you wanted to." The author tells the story and they tell it one way. But you know what we did learn about the Island - we learned that Jacob was the person responsible for bringing people to the Island, and that MiB was the entity responsible for conning Locke into thinking The Island was responsible for bringing him there.

You can't handle the truth sgt. I know Darlton let you down, and you wasted all of that time on TLE, but why not try and understand the story they wanted to tell instead of your lame attempts to reimagine it? Or stick with what you're doing - it's always good for a laugh.
Old 10-18-12, 04:45 PM   #162
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

Re: + Ghost Story: Lost Shines

What I wrote on 1.11.08:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
great post jays. I think both of these works are Paranormal stories in Supernatural settings - Special People in Special Places. The whole idea of 'Others' implys 'Natives' and that the Island is not harmonious.

I think most people missed the mention of Indian Burial grounds in the film. We don't need such a literal answer for Lost - and I don't expect to get one. Kubirk filled the film with so many native american motifs that the subtext speaks louder than those two lines of dialogue. Kubrik really exposed the hell out of it. Jack's 'White Man's Burden' speech with the bartender, the 'squaw' characterization of Wendy, The Overlook decorated in Cherokee art, and there is also the Calumet Connection:

You could write a thesis just based on the contents of the pantry. The simple calument Indian beneath the astronaut's drink, Tang. The film works on many levels, but Kubrik felt so strongly about Native American genocide and American colonialism that he filled nearly every frame with symbology and dialogue that echoed his sentiments.
What I read today from Chuck Klosterman on Grantland:

Quote:
I just saw a documentary that obliterated my cranium. It's the best nonfiction film I've seen all year: Room 237, screened at the New York Film Festival (unfortunately, I don't think it will be released widely until March 2013, and — even then — "widely" will not include any city that doesn't have a robust film culture and a very big airport). Directed by Rodney Ascher, Room 237 is an examination of five "secret meanings" within Stanley Kubrick's 1980 psychological horror-thriller The Shining. There are no talking heads or reenactments; it's assembled as a collage of scenes from The Shining, other notable films by Kubrick, and a bunch of other not-so-random movies that reflect the cinematic investigation.

Still, the movie itself is fantastic. It approaches The Shining from the perspectives of five obsessive theorists (none of whom are ever shown onscreen — you only hear their voices). Two of the theories are really just deep critical readings of the film: One insists The Shining is about the Native American genocide and the other suggests The Shining is a metaphor for the Holocaust. The other three hypotheses are less reasonable, but more creative and inimitable: One person sees the entire film as Kubrick's unspoken confession that he faked the moon landing. Another focuses on secret images in the movie that involve the Greek myth of the Minotaur; the third is built around the premise of subtextual synchronicities that hinge on watching the film backward and forward simultaneously.
The native american genocide angle was something I originally explored in a paper in college. It's great to see the idea now the topic of a nonfiction film.

Quote:
Before I studied the film in college, the themes of genocide and imperialism were lost on me. I loved the film for all of the creepy stuff on the surface. But my prof revealed a wealth of Kubrick's subtextual themes - even Kubrick's marketing of the film indicate his themes. The posters that were used in Europe included the tagline, "The wave of terror which swept across America is here." The 'surface' interpretation of the poster is that it was bragging about the film's success in America. But the film wasn't out yet when the posters first appeared.

The subtext of that tagline - the wave of terror that swept across America was the white man, who came from Europe ("here") is also embodied in the film by the Brit Grady telling the American Torrance to "clean up the mess" his wife and telepathic son have created.

Even the film's coda - the 1921 photo that revealed Jack as caretaker - was meant to be taken two ways. The surface interpretation - Jack has "always" been at the Overlook, does not speak louder than the date -
July 4th - the day we celebrate America's Independence.

I've got to see this film - there are some great clips linked in Klosterman's article, found here:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...cumentary-year

Aside from the documentary, the article is about what Klosterman calls "Immersion Criticism," which is what I and the rest of the folks in T&S trafficked in for years:

Quote:
This is something I've decided to call "Immersion Criticism," because it can't really be done unless you watch a movie 10 or 100 or 1,000 times. It's based on the belief that symbolic, ancillary details inside a film are infinitely more important than the surface dialogue or the superficial narrative. And it's not just a matter of noticing things other people miss, because that can be done by anyone who's perceptive; it's a matter of noticing things that the director included to indicate his true, undisclosed intention. In other words, it's not an interpretive reading — it's an inflexible, clandestine reality that matters way more than anything else. And it's usually insane.
Some posts related to the topic:

http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=42

http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...&postcount=131

Quote:
And good point jane;

Not suprisingly, Danny uses an old native american trick to escape; retracing his footsteps backwards through the snow.
Quote:

Lost is a story about the murder of a race - and the consequences of that murder.
A story a lot like Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining.
A ghost story.
Old 10-22-13, 09:59 PM   #163
see you in the next life
Curtis, DHARMA Disciple
Sees Walt

Re: + Ghost Story : Lost Shines

[QUOTE=sgtdraino;3331562]Jacob and MiB were just another couple of guys that got brought to the Island. All of their powers and abilities came from it. Both the creators and the characters never waivered from their position that the Island was a character on the show, which had a will and an agenda. In spite of the introduction of Jacob and MiB, the Island continued to be treated as such throughout all six seasons of Lost. We simply didn't get to learn as much about that character as we wanted to. Darlton chose to keep that part of their "iceberg" submerged.]

Where do you get this stuff?

Not much has changed, huh? I despised the introduction of Jacob and MiB but I cannot dispute that they and not the island drove it all.

l

"Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody."
see you in the next life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »