Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Stopping the countdown is bad??

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 10-07-05, 11:07 PM   #31
testiculons

Great. Jack ended up pushing the button. Does this mean that the survivors will be spending the rest of the show punching in the numbers every 108 minutes?

Hopefully someone will think to see what that computer is connected to. Does it have a modem or other outside communications access? If not, then it may be a pschological experiment, and nothing bad will happen as a result of not entering the numbers and pressing execute.

I do agree with the theory that having a human enter the numbers is a way for someone on the outside to gather information about conditions on the island. But what the information means to them, who knows? Perhaps if the numbers aren't entered, we'll get a message of "congratulations! this experiment is complete! the boat is coming to pick you up tomorrow."
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-05, 12:25 AM   #32
Badger
Turns Purple
Sees Walt

Right now I believe something will happen or will be prevented from happening if the numbers are not entered.

Why? For one we were told "there was...an incident". This is a sci-fi cliche, usually alluding to the fact something untoward had occurred. That is, something bad.

Given all the things we have seen and heard on the island I find it difficult to believe that nothing at all would happen should they not press the button after entering the numbers.

It doesn't make sense based on what we know. The B.F. Skinner reference was too simple. Too pat of an answer. There is more to it than that.

The reluctant Jack pressed the button because it made for more drama at that particular moment. Someone had to do it and who better to do it at that moment? Locke had already done it and Hurley will struggle with an assigned task in the hatch next week. Gee, I wonder what that will be. They can dedicate an entire episode to it.

Why did someone have to press it? Because the script called for it. And besides, had they not we'd know what would or would not happen and they were not ready to reveal that yet.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-05, 02:24 AM   #33
Another lostaway

I think that walt just doesn't understand his powers. He wanted to see the bird where he was not off in china somewhere. He didn't think the bird would die. And why do they want all the children? The took the french woman's son, tried to take clair's baby, and took Walt.
Old 10-08-05, 02:37 AM   #34
Another lostaway

I also think orientation=orienteering
Find the island on a map go four degrees then 8 degrees then 155 degrees then 16 degrees then 23 degrees then 42 degrees
Old 10-08-05, 06:42 AM   #35
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

Another lostaway, from the moment I first heard the ep name announced, I had the same thought. Orienteering is a huge sport in Scandanavia and the British Isles (I'm told), if less well known in the States. According to the official British site:

Quote:
Orienteering is a sport where competitors navigate their way between control points marked on a specially drawn map. . . .
Foot Orienteering is the original form of orienteering: cross-country running or walking using a map and compass to find your way through a series of control points marked on the map. Foot-O originated in Scandinavia 100 years ago, but is now a popular competitive sport in all parts of the world.
I had no idea how varied the sport had become until I visited its premiere magazine, O-sport.

What we do with lost is similar to Orienteering: collecting clues as we travel through a confusing terrain. This entire episode feeds my own pet theory on the self-reflexive nature of Lost, and the multiple meanings inherent in major plot developments.

And I do wonder, were we to begin at the hatch and proceed as Another lostaway suggests, where would we end up?
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-16, 10:23 PM   #36
CormacPaul
Arrives By Sub

Computer Re: + Stopping the countdown is bad??

Did anyone lese work out that the numbers (4,8,15,16,23,42) all add to equal 108 which is the time limit on the hatch clock. Therefore, since we have seen that when they reset the hatch timer, other numbers are present, and since the dharma initiative is just one massive social experiment (i believe), then surely if they typed in larger numbers, they would be able to leave the computer for longer periods.

Must say I am disappointed they havent cleared this up so far (only of season 5 episode2 on netflix) but them blowing the hatch up kind of eliminates any chance of them clearing this up and I am intrigued as to what would happen if different numbers were 'executed'.

Likewise, we know that the keyboard is completely functional as Michael uses it to communicate with Walt so why didnt people like Locke test this out. Moreover, how is Walt so omniscient and omnipresent?...
CormacPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-16, 10:50 PM   #37
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

Re: + Stopping the countdown is bad??

Hello CormacPaul! 108! Yes, that has all been thought about but it is great that you came here to share. We have all felt that sense of discovery with all those easter eggs from the producers.
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-16, 07:10 PM   #38
sgtdraino
Keeper of Locke's Luggage
Carries Big Stick

Re: + Stopping the countdown is bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CormacPaul View Post
Must say I am disappointed they havent cleared this up so far (only of season 5 episode2 on netflix) but them blowing the hatch up kind of eliminates any chance of them clearing this up and I am intrigued as to what would happen if different numbers were 'executed'.
Hey there! Some of these issues were addressed via the original official Lost Alternate Reality Game, which ultimately presented fans with another Orientation Film hosted by Alvar Hanso (also known as the Sri Lanka video) which addressed some of these mysteries. You can find it on youtube by searcing for "hanso orientation."

sgtdraino is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »