Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + The Dark Territories - Approximation One

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 11-18-05, 04:38 AM   #11
lacenaire
Sees Walt

Re: The Dark Territories - Approximation One

"Theoretical base" for a sentient island.

Excalibur n. 31
Ultimate X-Men 54-57

Damon Lindelof is going to write a story for Ultimate X-men about the 1st meeting of the Hulk and wolverine in one of those alternate marvel universes.

AutHORIzEd

Last edited by lacenaire; 11-18-05 at 04:51 AM.
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 05:41 AM   #12
BooneWasABoar
Follows the Cable

Great read Homer. I like your theory a lot.

Ive always puzzled over TPTB's motto "They're not the survivors they thought they were." and figured that if i could make sense of that little vague tidbit other things would fall into place. I think maybe you figured it out.

They're not the survivors (The survivors of 815), the island is the survivor. Either from some past where things like living islands existed or from another time/place. Im reeling with excitement!
BooneWasABoar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 06:02 AM   #13
LoStMyMiNd
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Noodleman
For weeks I've yammered at people not to think that Dharma is the core of the mystery on the island, but rather that the central mystery resides in the Dark Territories. Time for me to put or shut up and address what the Dark Territories might be. I call it Approximation One because it is based on a miniscule amount of evidence and a vast mound of guesses. Anyhoo... here we go...

Chronoligically, Lost starts some past century when the Black Rock was somehow beached deep in the jungle. We only know one slim fact about that event, that the crew fled in such terror that they left the slaves chained to the bulkheads in the hold. Much later, around 1950 give or take a decade, two bodies were laid to rest in a cave, with nothing else known about them. After that, Dharma built their facilities on the island and some disaster overtook them, which led to them apparently being largely abandoned.

Besides our castaways, there are other survivors on the island. Danielle the sole survivor of another expedition come to grief, Desmond is now reduced to wild-eyes fear, and a rag tag group of Others are stealing children for Lord only knows what reason. All the other island inhabitants seem insane to some degree or another. Even our castaways behave wierdly, ignoring Lostzilla in the jungle, indifferent to the fact Shannon tried to kill Locke, never bothering to try to rescue Claire, and so forth.

Also, and most significantly, the main group of castawys seem to be near the Dark Territories, while the tail survivors were further away. Our main group, since the second day when Jack saw a vision of his father, have been having visions and hearing voices. Further, as was demonstrated when Shannon followed Sayid's eyes, turned and also saw Walt, and by the scene of all the tailenders hearing whispers, these visions and whispers are not solely in one persons mind. They are not hallucinations as we know them. Also, until nearing the Dark Territories the tail end folk never saw visions or heard whispers.

In 1977, off the Galapagos islands, scientists made a startling discovery. Clustered about deep sea thermal vents were entire ecosystems that had evolved without photosynthesis providing the energy. At the time it created quite a stir, because it was previously believed that a terrestial life couldn't possibly be that radically different. Yet, isolated and in an extremely hostile (to us anyways) environment, life evolved and flourished.

We have an isolated island, with an extremely peculiar magnetic footprint. What if life, a terrestial ecosystem far more different than surface appearances might suggest, evolved on that isolated island? All of the folks on that island would be bathed in that life, eating its fruit, breathing its bacteria. They would be interfacing with that other ecosystem on a cellular level.

The Dark Territories are stationary. Perhaps surrounding the source of peculiar magnetism. Man manipulates nature with his hands and feet. As that different ecosystem evolved, if it were rooted or buried in the ground, it would need to manipulate nature differently. Somewhere in the distant past it would evolve mechanisms to bring food to itself, rather than chasing it down. It would evolve an entirely different strategy for dealing with its surroundings.

Continuing, what if, on that remote island, something other than monkeys developed intelligence? An intelligence that would manipulate its surroundings in a vastly different manner than we? Motives aside, what would we make of each other? We would build, and garden, and wander -- it would wrap us in its influence. Would we even be aware of each other at first?

I think deep in the Dark Territories is an alien intelligence, but not one from the stars. Rather, it is a terrestial one that evolved in isolation. Whether the meeting will lead towards disaster, or something else altogether, is where the story is headed.

Then again... this might all be the result of an undigested bit of mustard.

How would all of this be considered to be a logical explanation for what is going on?
Old 11-18-05, 06:28 AM   #14
Bluntz
Arrives By Sub

there's no "living island", that'd make this show as stupid as Surface or Invasion, instead of as cool as Prision break or 24
Old 11-18-05, 06:49 AM   #15
plastique
Arrives By Sub

Quote:
lostmio,

I'm thinking that just like a human and a squirrel manipulate their environments in a similar manner, walking on their feet to get to nuts, and then holding those nuts in their front paws as they munch on them, the island ecosystem is similar. From top to bottom they can somehow influence behavior. All the castaways are bathed in that inbfluence, but never suspect it. Similarily, this other ecosystem can make no sense of men walking around, building facilities and what-not.

We would be ciphers to each other as we interacted.

Could explain why people like Locke, that at one point gave up their reliance to their own judging, is the only 'sane' ones on the island..... Locke said "I'm not lost anymore" and also on question on how he was found.. "I stopped looking"... So he have probably figured this much out......

But I think he also said at som e point "i have seen into the eyes of the island, and it is beautiful".. or something like that....

I think many of Lockes comments in the serie is of great value to anyone searching the answer here....
plastique is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 11:27 AM   #16
metanym
Arrives By Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoStMyMiNd
How would all of this be considered to be a logical explanation for what is going on?
How logical is it to quote the entirety of Homer's post prior to such an insubstantial question?! :P
metanym is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 11:27 AM   #17
NeillT006
We Barefootin'
Sees Walt

Homer:

I like this idea. I toyed with it a bit a while back when mentioning "Still Coming Ashore" and through several incarnations of the thought. See: Smokey This or Thats

While we have repeatedly demonstrated one of us can be wrong (where the hell is the winking smilie), how could both of us be wrong?

N.

Last edited by NeillT006; 11-18-05 at 11:48 AM.
NeillT006 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 11:59 AM   #18
Homer Noodleman
Hog Farmer to the Stars
Hears the Whispers

metanym,

Quoting me in its entirety was unnecessary, but I think LoStMyMiNd asks a fair question because of what TPTB have said. I'll try to answer it.

Eyes evolved from simple light receptors. On the island some sort of simple attractor (that worked by influencing normal animals minds) evolved into something far more complex. BTW I'm not talking about an individual creature, or a "living island", I'm talking about a web of a peculiar life form on portions of the island.

I'll admit it is a reach on scant evidence, but the notion of a sort of "attractor field" generated by that life answers many of the island's mysteries. The visions and whispers and what-not are from that peculiar ecosystem's abilitiy. It also explains why they ended up drawn to the island, and why it is so difficult to leave. It also explains the sickness and quarantine notions... people would not understand what was happening to them.

Throw in an intelligence in that ecosystem and you have an interesting question. Do you coexist and allow it to expand into the rest of the world, fundamentally changing mankind in the process, or do you destroy it to preserve us in our uninfluenced state?
Homer Noodleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 12:48 PM   #19
see you in the next life
Curtis, DHARMA Disciple
Sees Walt

POTENTIAL SLIGHTLY SPOILERISH INFO

Homer, I like this theory for several reasons. First of all, and you will have to go to spoilers to have this further expounded, there will be an episode that deals with events that happened on the island a long long long time ago.....this has been confirmed, I believe, throught ABC Medianet....and I mean way before Dharma and all of that, perhaps to the actual time of the appearance of the Black Rock (if the purpose of the Black Rock is what I think it is....a vessel that transported slaves to be used for game ala The Most dangerous Game). If TPTB feel compelled to tell us a story that pre-dates even the beginning of Dharma....then the island itself must have significace PRIOR to the Swan Station incident. So, if this is true....then perhaps this "intelligence" was in its infancy at that time....and perhaps the Swan Station incident exacerbated the problem, giving the intelligence within the Dark Territory the mechanism it needed to develop exponentially. Flash to the present and see where we are now.

"Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, a secretion of sensory experience and feeling programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody."
see you in the next life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 01:05 PM   #20
lostmio
Talks Backwards

Quote:
just like a human and a squirrel manipulate their environments in a similar manner, walking on their feet to get to nuts, and then holding those nuts in their front paws as they munch on them, the island ecosystem is similar. From top to bottom they can somehow influence behavior. All the castaways are bathed in that inbfluence, but never suspect it. Similarily, this other ecosystem can make no sense of men walking around, building facilities and what-not.
We would be ciphers to each other as we interacted.
This is not that far out.
Decades ago I saw a fascinating PBS special on how an individual person's mannerisms, speech, and outlook can be influenced heavily by attributes of the terrain he/she inhabits, providing it's a life-long deal.

The PBS show gave examples of such characteristics and suggested how they might have developed.
These are things that happen in ONE generation, and are not evolutionary, altho descendants then get a double whammy since they have the nurture influence on top of the nature influence.

Undoubtedly we interact with our physical environment.

Sounds like you're kicking that concept up several notches...

~Mira Furlan~
lostmio is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »