Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + The Dark Territories - Approximation One

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 11-18-05, 01:43 PM   #21
Benjamin
Arrives By Sub

Re: The Dark Territories - Approximation One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Noodleman
I think deep in the Dark Territories is an alien intelligence, but not one from the stars. Rather, it is a terrestial one that evolved in isolation. Whether the meeting will lead towards disaster, or something else altogether, is where the story is headed.
Watch out. Keep this speculation to yourself.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 02:13 PM   #22
DHARMA
Burned the Raft

Homer, very good speculation. I have always thought that one of the main story elements of LOST is the island itself. The losties, others and Dharma are all just players on a much larger field.
DHARMA is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 02:30 PM   #23
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

Thank you so much Homer (I know I have bugged you on numerous occasions)!
A fascinating read, and well within the spectrum of believability. I would love were this the case, but alas I fear we will get only a small part of it.

As lostmio said, though, if this isn't the case, there ought to be a series exploring such a concept.

As to Bluntz's

Quote:
there's no "living island", that'd make this show as stupid as Surface or Invasion, instead of as cool as Prision break or 24
Way to toss around the high concept metaphor bs

So sci-fi=stupid and fake terrorism/government conspiracy=cool?
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-06, 12:18 PM   #24
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
In 1977, off the Galapagos islands, scientists made a startling discovery. Clustered about deep sea thermal vents were entire ecosystems that had evolved without photosynthesis providing the energy. At the time it created quite a stir, because it was previously believed that a terrestial life couldn't possibly be that radically different. Yet, isolated and in an extremely hostile (to us anyways) environment, life evolved and flourished.

We have an isolated island, with an extremely peculiar magnetic footprint. What if life, a terrestial ecosystem far more different than surface appearances might suggest, evolved on that isolated island? All of the folks on that island would be bathed in that life, eating its fruit, breathing its bacteria. They would be interfacing with that other ecosystem on a cellular level.

The Dark Territories are stationary. Perhaps surrounding the source of peculiar magnetism. Man manipulates nature with his hands and feet. As that different ecosystem evolved, if it were rooted or buried in the ground, it would need to manipulate nature differently. Somewhere in the distant past it would evolve mechanisms to bring food to itself, rather than chasing it down. It would evolve an entirely different strategy for dealing with its surroundings.

Continuing, what if, on that remote island, something other than monkeys developed intelligence? An intelligence that would manipulate its surroundings in a vastly different manner than we? Motives aside, what would we make of each other? We would build, and garden, and wander -- it would wrap us in its influence. Would we even be aware of each other at first?

I think deep in the Dark Territories is an alien intelligence, but not one from the stars. Rather, it is a terrestial one that evolved in isolation.
Quote:
Eyes evolved from simple light receptors. On the island some sort of simple attractor (that worked by influencing normal animals minds) evolved into something far more complex. BTW I'm not talking about an individual creature, or a "living island", I'm talking about a web of a peculiar life form on portions of the island
Homer, I've always liked this theory and it has been in the back of my mind since you posted it. I brought forward certain parts of that theory as it has been a while since this was discussed.

I believe that the electromagnetic properties of the island either helped this intelligence involved or is emitted by the intelligence itself. (See this thread for possible additional effects of electromagnetism)
I also think the entity is a "web of a peculiar life form". I think that web is comprised of molecules similar to this concept - only not man-made but evolved (catoms). Such a life form would be "invisible" to the survivors since it would exist on a microscopic level. It is probably present in the food and water besides any other "growing" matter on the island. I do not think the web would extend to inanimate objects as by it's very nature the particles would contain life.

If the life form is indeed present in the food and water then it could become a part of every living thing on the island. Although I do think that Danielle and possibly others are immune to its effects. Perhaps Danielle's own body chemistry prohibits the life form from bonding with her molecular make up. (This would explain the "quarantine" outside the hatch. Perhaps the injection that Desmond takes contains an "inhibitor" - something that would prevent the life form from bonding with a person's own molecules.

What kind of "food" would this life form require? I think this entity needs or desires the emotions or energy that our emotions, dreams, thoughts and desires produce. I also think this life form orchestrates or tries to orchestrate events to produce the desired energy it needs.

Here's another thread I would like to reference Child-Like Qualities Abound. Unlike this theory, I do not believe that the people on the island are regressing. I think they are "infected" and the life form (in control) is responding to new stimili - much as a child would upon his first experience in a situation.

eta: Perhaps static electricity has a detrimental effect on the life force (disrupting, containing even "killing" off particles). This could account for the missing hairbrushes (always a thorn in my side) and quite possibly the numbers being entered every 108 minutes maintains a static electrical force field encompassing the island and its adjacent islets, waters and atmosphere.

Last edited by sandi; 01-03-06 at 01:10 PM.
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-06, 01:37 PM   #25
TheWatcher
BANNED
Escapes the Cage

Now that is using your "noodle" Homer. I hope we get a guided tour of the Dark Territories soon because there in lies some answers.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-06, 01:56 PM   #26
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

In addition, I don't think the numbers preceded Dharma or some other scientific group. If I were a scientist and came upon a new life form, I would name it (just like water - H2 O) after the elements that make up that life form - in this case 4 -beryllium, 8 - oxygen, 15 - phosphorus, 16 - sulphur, 23 - vanadium, 42 molybdenum - (some of which are grey metalic in nature and have magnetic properties).
Old 01-03-06, 04:53 PM   #27
Blackhawk
Pushes the Button

Quote:
BTW I'm not talking about an individual creature, or a "living island", I'm talking about a web of a peculiar life form on portions of the island.
I really like your theory. I would agree that we are not dealing with a "living island", but rather an island is inhabited bv numerous organisms that would be foreign to other earthlings. I think it would have to be several organisms. For evolution to occur, species have to be reproducing (and there must be variation present within the offspring). It also helps to have an increased population size.

The question is, would all of these organisms be of the same species, or is the entire ecosystem completely wacky (consisting of several "alien" species)? I would say the latter, since if you have even a single species that somehow evolves the ability to affect minds, other species on the island (the prey of the original species), will evolve ways to counter this ability in an "arms race". On earth, we see this type of co-evolution in every ecosystem that we know of (as predators evolve a way to capture prey, prey then evolve ways to avoid being captured, the predators then evolve an improved offensive, etc.). In complete isolation, this type of escalation could produce interesting results. Especially if you throw in a species which has no prior history with that ecosystem (i.e. humans).

Perhaps the "multiple species" concept could explain many of the mysteries we commonly discuss, plus that gigantic bird they saw flying away in "Exodus".

Last edited by Blackhawk; 01-04-06 at 12:30 AM.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-06, 05:10 PM   #28
Blackhawk
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayseason1
If I were a scientist and came upon a new life form, I would name it (just like water - H2 O) after the elements that make up that life form - in this case 4 -beryllium, 8 - oxygen, 15 - phosphorus, 16 - sulphur, 23 - vanadium, 42 molybdenum - (some of which are grey metalic in nature and have magnetic properties).
Actually there is a well known, scientific, latin-based nomenclature for naming any newly discovered species. (e.g. Humans = Homo sapiens, polar bear = Ursus maritimus, etc.)
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-06, 05:30 PM   #29
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Actually there is a well known, scientific, latin-based nomenclature for naming any newly discovered species. (e.g. Humans = Homo sapiens, polar bear = Ursus maritimus, etc.)
lol (at myself)- I knew that. Oh well....um...maybe they didn't know it was alive when they first discovered it.
Old 01-03-06, 06:49 PM   #30
myportion
Arrives By Sub

This is my favorite theory so far.
For anybody who likes the idea of a "web of lifeforms," check out Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen's book Heaven. It's a quick fantasy/sci-fi read, plus it features a sentient pond (my favorite character). At one point (spoiler for the book here) the main characters discover that the galaxy as a whole is sentient in some way--a couple of them are sort of tele/empathetic, and when they get far enough into space, they can sense the galaxy's "emotions."
The pond is the best part, though. It's literally the pond that's sentient-not any one part of it (not the frog or the microorganisms or the water or the plants) but the whole pond. Fun stuff.
Also, the book Life of Pi (spoiler for this book) includes a kind of "living island" as well. It's small and floats in the middle of the ocean, and the plants, animals, and island surface all form a tight, hostile sort of ecosystem. It's not really sentient, but much more highly developed than your average floating island.
I don't think any of this relates directly to our Island, but they're similar ideas that I personally find fascinating.

Emily

PS--First post--hi all.
myportion is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »