I would like to follow up on LIW's explanation opening a discussion about what kind of theory is suitable for the show, according to the information the writers are giving us.
1. First, the book references, recommended directly by the creative team:
- The Stand, Stephen King
- The Dark Tower Series, Stephen King
- The Queen's Gambit, Walter Tevis (recommended by Javi)
- Othello, Shakespeare
- A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle
- The Lord of the Flies, William Golding
Now these books are not SCI-FI books IMO, there's almost no high-tech gadgets in them. They are all Fantasy books and basically treat this points:
- Group dynamics.
- Hidden conspiracies
- Fight Good vs Evil
2. What we've already seen on the island.
- THe Black ROck.
- A big plane.
- A small plane.
- Danielle and her gear.
- Dharma facilities.
- The "Piece Corps" people and their gear.
- Ethan and his gear.
- Black Smoke.
- A raft.
- A small inland boat.
- Something magnetic covered with concrete.
- A giant Stobor.
None of these elements support the presence of a high-tech power on the island. Even Dharma's stuff is outdated. Ethan and "The Peace Corps People" are basically using their hands and primitive weapons to fight. So far the deadliest weapon around is fear, and the dynamite (dangerous to anyone around due to its decay)..
How this people can make some of us believe they are capable of travelling through time and space, to use advanced mental powers, etc... is a mystery to me.
This is only a point of view and I might change it at any time mind you, lol.