Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Tesla, Electromagnetism, and Swan Station v1.0

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 03-26-06, 09:54 PM   #21
LQ Jones
Pushes the Button

Re: Tesla, Electromagnetism, and Swan Station v1.0

Quote:
I don't understand why Dharma just couldn't turn the machine off, thereby avoiding any build up needed to "vent".
It's a task for the hatch monkeys.

(seriously)
LQ Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-06, 01:02 AM   #22
Chance Gardener
I make the Grammar Goddess squeeee
Blew Up the Hatch

well, I've been a fan of the Tesla tie-ins from the beginning.
I have to agree with Doc and Cat that this was a pretty good first pass summation of the theories and presentation of how it can affect the events we've witnessed to date in the show.

I certainly found it to be presented much more cleanly and clearly than the Queerlyplasmatics thread ever was (even to this date).

Tage, you might want to consider a tie in between the "bermuda triangle" spots on the glove and your heterodyne effect. Perhaps these locations around the globe can be "pulsed" somehow by electromagnetic frequencies that somehow open portals to allow a Nigerian Beechcraft to make it from Nigeria to the Pacific - IF it went through one of these portals.

You might also want to consider some sort of similarity with the 'gravity beams' or 'grasers' discussed in David Brin's novel Earth. There are several interesting passages about the crystalline structure of the inner core of the Earth being altered due to the orbits of a micro black hole, acting like a "lens" to create these beams. Perhaps you could posit an electromagnetic effect based on Tesla theories that pulse out waves that tear apart airliners yet maybe manage to lower them somewhat, or pull ships onto the rocky coast of the island.

Perhaps the cable going off into the ocean ties to one of these transmitters and the other end that went into the ground goes to a control bunker.
Old 03-27-06, 01:07 AM   #23
sawyerhasbestlines
Dept. of Clone Health & Zombie Hygiene
Sees Walt

Location: waiting for the next Christian and Ethan resurrection

^^^ God, I miss you.

When you blindly give up your free will to a higher authority, be sure you are not also giving up control of your ultimate destiny. - from The Outer Limits, 1995 "A New Life"
sawyerhasbestlines is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-06, 04:23 AM   #24
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

I have to admit, I only read bits and pieces (except for the tower stuff which perked me up). Skimming is my hobby these days. But I always make sure to read all of Chances posts just in case, in off chance, he might be making fun of me.
Old 03-27-06, 11:33 AM   #25
LQ Jones
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Perhaps these locations around the globe can be "pulsed" somehow by electromagnetic frequencies that somehow open portals to allow a Nigerian Beechcraft to make it from Nigeria to the Pacific - IF it went through one of these portals.
I'm reminded of the world vortices map in the Wrinkle in Time thread.

Quote:
There are several interesting passages about the crystalline structure of the inner core of the Earth being altered due to the orbits of a micro black hole, acting like a "lens" to create these beams.
Again, I'm reminded of a science article entitled Hurricanes Inside the Earth.
That is, the outer core spinning around a rotating inner core. Think of a small sphere inside a larger sphere. However, the two sphere's are spinning in opposite directions !!
Essentially, the earth's core is a giant electro-magnetic coil !!

I can't find the original article, but have substituted the one below.
Btw, it was hypothesized that the "hurricanes" occurred in the outer core as a result of geo-thermal dynamics coupled with the irresistable force of the spin...

[start]:

Model May Explain 'Super-Rotation' of Earth's Core

Geophysicists at The Johns Hopkins University have developed a model that may help explain recent findings that suggest the Earth's solid inner core rotates faster than the rest of the planet.

The model shows how this so-called "super-rotation" of the inner core could be caused by electromagnetic forces and the fluid motions of an outer, liquid core, which surrounds the inner solid core. The outer core is composed primarily of liquid iron, while the inner core is a ball of solid iron measuring 2,440 kilometers (1,500 miles) across.

The model could help to provide insights into the mysterious processes, originating deep inside the Earth, that generate the planet's magnetic field.

The Johns Hopkins geophysicists developed their model after researchers at other institutions discovered the apparent super-rotation. Those scientists inferred the super-rotation by analyzing past data from seismic waves traveling through the Earth's core. One team found that the inner core rotates roughly 1 degree per year faster than the Earth's mantle, the part of the planet that lies between the core and the crust. Another team of seismologists concluded that the inner core rotates about 3 degrees per year faster than the mantle.

If it were possible to project some location on the Earth's surface down onto the surface of the inner core and color it with a red mark, then over the years one would observe the red mark moving to the east. At a super-rotation rate of 1 degree per year, the inner core would lap the mantle within 360 years.

Edmund Halley first observed in the late 17th century that the magnetic field on the Earth's surface tends to drift westward; the drift is believed to be caused by fluid motions in the outermost regions of the liquid outer core. With the inner core seismic data, scientists now have information that the previously unobservable flow is moving in the opposite direction, to the east, and at speeds five to 15 times faster than previously thought.

Three geophysicists at Johns Hopkins have proposed a mechanism to explain the apparent super-rotation of the inner core. They have developed a model based primarily on the structure of convective motions of the fluid in the outer core. The model was created by graduate students Jonathan Aurnou and Daniel Brito, working with Professor Peter Olson, in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences.

Fluid moving in the southern hemisphere, just below the solid inner core, and the complementary motion of fluid in the northern hemisphere, just above the solid core, combine to speed up the inner core's rotation so that it spins slightly faster than the rest of the planet.

Olson has compared the motion of the fluid to that of a hurricane. "Like a hurricane, it creates a very strong vortex," he said.

[continued]

For the rest of the article, go to:

http://www.lifeinuniverse.com/noflas...-03-03-03.html

Last edited by LQ Jones; 03-27-06 at 11:42 AM.
LQ Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-06, 06:54 PM   #26
pjdizzy
Follows the Cable

I just did an AOL search for "tesla bio" I will TRY to put in a hyperlink here but I'm very techno-impaired.

Anyway, first I'll put in this two lines from the 12th paragraph because I got chills when I read them. (They're talking about Tesla here.)

Caustic criticism greeted his speculations concerning communication with other planets, his assertions that he could split the Earth like an apple, and his claim of having invented a death ray capable of destroying 10,000 airplanes at a distance of 250 miles (400 kilometres).

Nikola Tesla: a short biography

Wow, that took me awhile to put in link, but I think I did it!
pjdizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-06, 08:27 PM   #27
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

Slight tangent, for those who discount the importance of three in the series. (I do think that number was featured far more prominently in season 1, but I also think its repetition is intended to have a religious significance). I have emboldened the most important instances of 3, IMO.

From Sledgeweb's numbers' page:

Quote:
# The track number on which Charlie says he does the backing vocals on a DriveShaft album
# Number of groups Sayid says he needs to organize (one for water, one for electronics, one for construction)
# Number of months Kate stayed with Ray Mullen
# Number of boars in the plane at night (eating on the dead bodies?)
# Number of people Locke needs for his boar hunting team
# Number of bottles of water Boone had on him (stolen bottles)
# Number of times Locke will allow Charlie to ask for his drugs back
# Number of antennas Sayid needs to triangulate power source

# Number of bills Sawyer puts on table to cover lunch with David and Jessica (the couple he is scamming)
# Number of days Rousseau's ship was out of Tahiti when the instruments started to malfunction
# Number of jobs Grandpa Tito has worked
# Number of times boar attacked Sawyer
# Number of children killed in attack on Sayid's neighbor in Tikrit
# Number of parts the plane broke into
# Number of pens Claire used trying to sign adoption papers

# Time Sawyer supposedly had a meeting with investor (3:30)
# Melissa Cole says Sayid spent "6 months here, 3 months there"
# Sayid asks Essam if the 3 of them live here (Essam and two guys playing video game)
# Garage level that Tom parks on
# Hours Tom and Kate have to kill before MRI appt
# Arzt says the next raft launch window is 3 or 4 months away
# Weeks Locke said he has known about the Hatch when showing it to Jack
# Michael says he has had 2 or 3 bottles of water the day he becomes ill
# Sticks of dynamite they need to blow hinge - to be safe
# Arzt was married at least 3 times
# Number of straws drawn for the dynamite carriers
# Number of choices Danielle says the surviors have to coming Others (run, hide or die)
# Reasons, according to Hurley, to get explosives (dynamite, black rock, dark territory)
# Days between Sawyer being arrested, and being told he was being deported

# Jack says there are 3 hours until sunrise when they return from the hatch
# The facility below the hatch is designated station 3 of 6
# Ana-Lucia gives Sawyer 3 seconds to drop the rock (2x4)
# Hurley tells Jack there is enough food to feed 1 man 3 meals a day for about 3 months (2x4)
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-06, 02:37 AM   #28
Smirnoff_Ice
A Little Bit Icy
Hears the Whispers

And the number 3 is just one less than 4, and 4 is important.

I read all of those connections to 3, 85% of them are ridiculous.
Smirnoff_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-06, 02:59 AM   #29
Tage
Seeks Rescue

Yeah. I don't think Tesla's 3 obsession is of any consequence.
Tage is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-06, 04:17 PM   #30
thoughtform
Blew Up the Hatch

I love this thread!!

Do you think that the button pushing could have something to do with the crater on the island? Maybe if the button isn't pushed it somehow allows some type of gravitational or magnetic force to be sent out. Could this have drawn in a comet or meteor? Pulling everything it its path to the island? Perhaps the incident was what caused the crater? Maybe the island is the outer trap to a black hole (like the one being discussed a couple of posts up where the inner earth is a huge magnet) Maybe the sickness and vaccine have to do with the mental effects of the magnetic anomalies? I don't know, I have to ponder this a bit more. In my opinion this is a great thread for a beginner or anybody else! Keep up the theorizing, I think this idea about Tesla and his research runs parallel to Hanso corp. and Dharma research!
thoughtform is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »