Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > LOST Theories Updated Posting Guidelines/Forum Discussion

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 06-09-08, 03:29 AM   #21
silver
fixing a hole
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via Skype™ to silver
Re: LOST Theories Updated Posting Guidelines/Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
That sounds like a world of confusion.
No different then what's done in the character forums:
http://losttv-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17
But I agree that mulitple tags could be confusing.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-08, 04:03 AM   #22
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Well, there are clearly defined differences between Kate and Claire. But in T&S, a theory can be about a lot of different things, fitting arguably into a lot of different categories. So it would be a lot of "where does this belong?"

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-08, 10:33 AM   #23
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hammer View Post
it does but it's a static page that requires maintenance; is there any way to use those groupings w/in the Lost Theories sub forums to show last updates/poster/OP/etc...?
Are you talking about giving each category a subforum?

If so, I'm totally against that. It would mean splintering our discussion forum -- again.
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-08, 11:00 AM   #24
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Morning, CS

*tries not to act like that person who has stayed up drinking beer all night and has to go to class in two hours*

The first thing I thought of was the division into "TLE Theories" and what a damn fuss that caused.

But basically, I don't think that it would be supportable, somehow. It's just too complex. There are too many categories. Too many theories that fit into too many categories.

And the forum is "splintered," as you say, enough. Threads in here move by a "what is interesting and good" basis and it seems to work. T&S (or "Lost Theories") is a one-stop shop for your Lost theories. If people had to pick and choose and click around sub-forums, it would just be, well... silly.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 06-09-08, 11:26 AM   #25
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

I agree vonne. So, at what point would a poster update the first post with a synopsis of the thread to date? If, like Homer, posters would do that as they go along and we are able to craft a summary for the existing long threads, then at some point we should have most theories with summaries in the first post. IMO, this would attract more readers and participation as I think overly long threads are not attactive since there's so much for someone to read before joining the conversation.

I guess the question is -- At what point will the average person invest time to read a thread in order to join the conversation? 100 posts? less?
Old 06-09-08, 01:38 PM   #26
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Honestly?

If you want to ask someone who is drunk at 9:32 am?

If at all technologically possible, here's what it should be:

In the T&S Index, each thread listed should have a summary of three sentences or less.

In each thread, preceding the original post, there should be a "synopsis" of 15 sentences or less. It should be clearly separated from the original post, leaving that post intact. It could be updated as the thread developed.

Ideally, the three-sentence summary could be generated by anyone familiar with the thrust (get your mind out of the gutter) of the theory, and the synopsis should be created and updated by the OP. The latter could be delegated if the OP is unavailable.

I just think this would be really helpful. T&S is the coolest damn place in the board. And sometimes it scares people away because yung is crazy. Or, wait, because it seems distant and complex. Or because yung is sexy in a hot tub. Or, something like that.

I think giving people who are browing something simple and plain to grasp will help traffic a LOT. I also like the "featured thread" thing-- Bob's "dreams come true" has long been a favorite lurk, and while points can be argued, the wealth of pure information databased in it about the dreams/visions is absolutely invaluable. People who frequent GD, etc., should really be aware of stuff like that. But as long as opening posts for a theory consist of 5000 rambling words including pictures and literary references, there will be a tendency to say "oh, well, these are all pompous over-educated asshats who like to see themselves type empty lines." *shrug*

Old 06-09-08, 05:32 PM   #27
silver
fixing a hole
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via Skype™ to silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayseason1 View Post
Are you talking about giving each category a subforum?

If so, I'm totally against that. It would mean splintering our discussion forum -- again.
ok, i guess that's what the subscription categories are for(at least that's how I use them). btw, this is a great site so don't take my comments as criticisms.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-08, 01:32 AM   #28
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hammer View Post
ok, i guess that's what the subscription categories are for(at least that's how I use them). btw, this is a great site so don't take my comments as criticisms.
It is a great site and I took your comments as "constructive" critiscisms -- always welcome. How else are we to improve? It is the same philosophy behind challenging a theory.

A challenge should question the merit(s) of a theory and the cited supports. It is only through questioning and discussing that the weak parts can be sorted out and the theory either debunked or made stronger.

So it is with this board. How can we improve it if no one offers an alternative suggestion or point of view?
Old 06-10-08, 01:54 AM   #29
MaggiePixel
LOST Scribe
Pushes the Button

So, if I understand the plan correctly:
  1. For totally structured people, they'll (somehow find and) use the indexes to locate a thread. Right now all they see is a thread title (which may be out of date), but in the future they'll see an up-to-date thread title and a 3 sentence summary.
  2. For totally unstructured people, they'll browse the theory section, and randomly click on threads. Right now the first post in a thread may be out of date, but in the future they'll see a 15 sentence synopsis.
I think there's a third kind of person: "googleiscious people". These people like to use some kind of search function to locate what they're looking for. They like keywords, metadata, tags, and clouds. Now I recognize that implementing this capability is beyond the scope of the current project. However, I believe it MAY be possible to quickly implement a limited searchable category system. You could take the list of T&S categories and tag each thread's title with the appropriate categories. Thus a thread like:could be adjusted to something like (just making this up as an example): And then people could search titles based on the keywords "pseudo" etc.
Old 06-10-08, 02:20 AM   #30
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Well -- I didn't know we had plan yet
My thoughts on the synopsis was just to give a condensed version of a long thread(the first post seems the place for that), so a newcomer to the thread could be up to date in a matter of minutes rather than hours and feel comfortable in joining the discussion.

As far as your other idea on searching the index, Maggie -- that sounds like it has merit. I have to think about it and would like good old Zen's opinion on it since he created and maintains the index.

Zen likes searchable data bases.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »