Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Supposetahs...

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 05-16-09, 12:47 PM   #91
jmb3rg3r
Not Amenable to Coercion
Sees Walt

Location: All you gotta do is take Main Street West to... or is it the Cross... That's funny, I can't remember
Re: + Supposetahs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Jacob suggested to Hurley that he had a choice and hinted to Jack that sometimes "a little push" is needed.
Ah, but when has anyone on Lost gotten just a little push?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I, too, thought Jacob's "you have a choice" speeches to Hurley and Ben was significant. Why those two, and only those two?
I hadn't thought about this as applying to only them... An interesting notion, but I suspect we are supposed to read this as applying to everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystao View Post
That the best 'suppostah's are the ones that work within some act of self sacrifice or genuine feeling of doing the right thing as opposed to what someone wants of you.
Maybe, but the bomb was motivated by The basest of motives.

Jack was acting out in The same way That Sawyer's father did. He was prepared to possibly kill everyone just to ease his own personal pain. Kate and Juliet went along with it for the same reasons.

as you concede, the morality here is ambiguous at best.

Quote:
It's still hard to grasp but the point here is that if God requires you to sacrifice your only son at his command, you can 'choose' not to do it or to do it, though God has a flip card where he can say at the end that it was all a test.
another ambiguous choice.

Quote:
Some aspect of the island is trying to do bad things. Its our choice to decide which is what. Even if that means doing the bad thing anyway because of some 'greater' good.
So far, we have not seen characters making informed choices I would argue this is essential to making moral choices. You need to understand the consequences of a choice before it can be moral. Without that knowledge, you're just a puppet- or Locke.
jmb3rg3r is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-10, 08:40 AM   #92
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

Re: + Supposetahs...

Come on Jimburger say uncle. There is 'suppostahs' on the island sure, and these are dicated by the motivations of all the players including MIB and Jacob maybe even destiny. But as Jacob says - it's all about doing what is 'good' that is the ultimate question without having to tell people what to do. As I've argued there is a 'moral' tangent to everything we've seen and in the end it will tell.

Quote:
So far, we have not seen characters making informed choices I would argue this is essential to making moral choices. You need to understand the consequences of a choice before it can be moral. Without that knowledge, you're just a puppet- or Locke.
Agreed. Informed choices are the best choices. Even if you know what your 'suppose' to do doesn't mean you have to do it and that you have a choice. However there is another point and that is 'transcendence' - that 'wisdom' can impart a form of transcendance in your actions - the idea of self knowing allows you to transcend even evil. For instance say destiny means that you 'have' to do something - it was 'always' going to happen, what you might be able to change however is you 'awareness' of the action itself. By understanding the greater consequences of the game you can ascend to a higher level of understanding that even by commiting bad things you transcend those actions by changing yourself within and how those actions are percieved. If you follow me.

Last edited by jaystao; 03-26-10 at 08:45 AM.
jaystao is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-13, 02:14 AM   #93
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

Re: Supposetahs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb3rg3r View Post
There's a recurring question in the predestination debate along the lines of "if you're predestined to choose to do something, does that mean you have free will or not?"

On Lost we've seen that things are not rigidly predestined, but that certain events will happen no matter what you do.
A great thread from the great jmberger.