Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Emerald City - NBC Friday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 02-17-17, 10:56 AM   #71
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Pinch Hitter Champion! Miami Shark Champion!
Re: Emerald City - NBC Friday

Emerald City
S01E08, "Lions in Winter"
Friday - February 17, 2017
10/9c - NBC

Spoiler: Promo and Episode Description

"Glinda reclaims something she's been searching for after Dorothy and Lucas arrive at her castle. Meanwhile, the Wizard heads to the Kingdom of Ev; West uses dangerous magic to help Tip; and Jack struggles to find his place in Langwidere's life."Source
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-17, 11:06 AM   #72
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimny72 View Post
I'm guessing at this point that the movie is just a loose framework for them to start with. The foundation of the original story was the friendships Dorothy created with the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion. But we are I have to think at least half way through the season and she hasn't met the Tin man, we don't even know for sure who the Lion is, and she and the scarecrow have already used and betrayed each other.
Hi Kimny.

Tonight is episode 8. The first season is only 10 episodes, so not much time left to wrap up the storylines, especially if Dorothy is going to get together with the Lion and Tin Man.

Apparently the ratings have been mediocre so chances of a second season aren't great at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
What beautiful countryside they drove thru. Especially where they stopped and Sylvie laid in that open field? Nsguy, where was this season filmed?
I agree the series looks beautiful. It's filmed in Europe, mostly in Croatia, Hungary and Spain.
Old 02-18-17, 08:17 PM   #73
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
Apparently the ratings have been mediocre so chances of a second season aren't great at this point
If you think about it, much of our interest is focused on identifying the ways the show parallels the movie. But what if you never saw the movie? Many under the age of 30 might not have. What is the story like for them? How does it come across? I imagine it might seem rather scattered.
Old 02-18-17, 11:23 PM   #74
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Well, it looks like we've finally found our Lion.

I think it was Sandi who speculated that Tip was the heir to the Oz throne. Well, we saw exactly what happened to her parents and to her.

I'm going to assume, the "Lion" took the baby Tip to Mombi for safe keeping. Whether they decided together or it was Mombi's choice, Tip was turned into a boy for safekeeping.

Roan/Lucas and Glinda hit a tough patch, because he can't seem to get Dorothy out of his mind. He even asks Glinda to remove his feelings for her from his heart and mind using a spell. She has the ultimate potion!

Sylvie joins the other young witches, and it was difficult in the beginning, but they seem to take to her. That wasn't more evident than when Dorothy comes to take her away, and she wants to stay with her "sisters".

The Wizard gathers his troops and rides toward Glinda. He leaves the majority of his men to besiege the castle, but takes a small contingent to get the arms made by Queen Ev.

Speaking of Queen Ev, she's left Jack in her bed where they apparently made love. When he heads out to see her, he's met with a woman who has no time for him. We find out later, she apparently only has time when they're in bed.

Jack also finds out Jane is closing her shop. Remember, she's the woman who rebuilt him from what was left after Tip pushed him over the banister. It seems Jane refused to produce the guns needed by Queen Ev and in return, she's been put out of the land.

I really liked the storyline of West and Tip. West had Tip drink from the witchly remains of East. This was to afford her the ability to go back and see who she really is.

West thinks she's killed another friend and it seems like she tries to commit suicide by slitting her wrists. Tip shows up after her "rebirth" to find West bleeding to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
...I agree the series looks beautiful. It's filmed in Europe, mostly in Croatia, Hungary and Spain.
That makes a lot of sense, because the majority of the actors are European.
Old 02-24-17, 11:05 AM   #75
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Emerald City
S01E09, "The Villain That's Become"
Friday - February 24, 2017
10/9c - NBC

Spoiler: Promo and Episode Description

"An intense negotiation gets underway when the Wizard arrives at the Kingdom of Ev. Meanwhile, Dorothy and Lucas find themselves on opposite sides; Jack's decision may have deadly consequences; and Tip and West solidify their bond."Source
Old 02-26-17, 09:20 PM   #76
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

The Kingdom of Ev

The Wizard shows up for the weapons but the soldiers tell him they are keeping them and they're ready to shoot the Wizard and his men. The Wizard shows them a chest filled with gold and demands to talk to the Queen. The soldier confers with the Queen and tells the Wizard to send in just the gold so she can see. And he does. The Queen decides to keep both the weapons and the gold but the other chests contained the Wizards soldiers not gold and they ambushed the Queen taking her prisoner.

I really thought it was stupid of the Wizard to send in the gold without getting the weapons but I didn't realize there was more than one chest. Sneaky Wizard knew Lady Ev might pull a fast one and he sent in a few Trojan ponies.

When Jack learns the Queen has been taken prisoner, he gets Jane to construct a gun for him so he can save her.

Wizard still needs Langwidere to order her men to turn over the weapons. So, the Wizard pointing a gun to her head, he tells Lady Ev to order the weapons be turned over or he'll kill her. Defiantly, the Queen orders her men to keep the weapons and use then. Jack tries to shoot the Wizard from above, but the Wizard sees him and pulls Langwidere into the line of fire. Jack's bullet strikes her in the head, killing her and Wizard dumps her body over the railing. The Wizard tries to escape but the Queen's men capture him.

Jack rushes Langwidere's body to Jane for Jane to save her but she can't. Langwidere died a long time ago and the body before them is one she built! She removes Langwidere's face to reveal the mechanical one beneath!

Poor Jack. He's been feeling sorry for himself because he thought Langwidere couldn't love a half-man -- half-machine and here she's been all machine the whole time. I think Jack could be permanently psychologically damaged. At any rate, he grabs an axe and sets off to chop up the Wizard.

Dorothy
Dorothy arrives back at the safe house where she, Lucas/Roan and Sylvie stayed before being deposited into Glinda's clutches. Lucas attacks her from behind with the intent to kill her as Glinda has ordered. But Toto jumps through the window and attacks Lucas, allowing Dorothy to escape into the field. Her escape is short-lived, Lucas catches up to her and starts to choke her. He pleads with her to stop him as he can't seem to do it on his own. Dorothy draws his dagger and stabs him in the side. Then Dorothy resurrects him as the scarecrow as she found him and rides away.

Dorothy seeks out Ojo (from the village she was first in when she arrived in Oz). She convinces Ojo to take her to the prison of abject. Dorothy promises to release his wife but she needs his wife to raise the Stone Giants to save the Wizard who she promises to take back to Kansas with her. When they get to the prison, they find all the other witches gone -- only the dead and dying remain. Sadly, Ojo's wife is one of the dying.

Tip and West
Tip convinces West not to take her own life but for them to join forces. They go into the forest where Tip discovers she can't cast a spell. West schools her to let the magic find her and not the other way around. Tip does let the magic find her and she turns back into the boy she wanted to be in her heart. West isn't pleased since no one will believe she's the rightful heir to Oz as Ozma is a girl. But after some argument, she agrees to proceed with the boy Tip. Tip and West revive West's sister witches in the prison of the abject. And although West orders them to follow Tip, they refuse, stitching up West's mouth and levitating her. (It looked to me that West looked like she was starting to wither as well.)

Tip shows her power by turning into the princess and sharing her memories of the Wizard and the lion-faced guard killing her parents. The sister witches accept her then, release West and join her to fight the Wizard. However ...

The Land of Ev
The Queen's men march the Wizard out to the edge of the wall and prepare to shoot him. But the ground begins to shake and loud thuds are heard. Dorothy emerges from the woods, followed by a Stone Giant!

It looks like the finale is going to be exciting!
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-17, 09:37 PM   #77
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Tip's memories of the Lion, et al would have been the memories of a girl; her first memories. Seems it could be easier for her to reconcile herself to her origins as her memories become clear.
Old 02-26-17, 09:43 PM   #78
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

But she was just a baby, right?

Formerly known as clayseason1
Old 02-26-17, 10:37 PM   #79
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
But she was just a baby, right?
I suppose so. Regardless, this aspect of Tip's plot line is just cumbersome and to me acts like a "story speed-bump."
Old 02-26-17, 11:19 PM   #80
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
I suppose so. Regardless, this aspect of Tip's plot line is just cumbersome and to me acts like a "story speed-bump."
Well, I can understand hiding her as a boy rather than a girl. Seems to me that would be the perfect way to prove she's not a missing princess. She's probably spent most of her life thinking she's a boy, so I can understand her horror and inability to accept being a girl. I do see your point of view but I think her reaction is natural and as such we're kind of stuck with it as I think TPTB are. They probably thought it would be cool but often what appears on paper doesn't translate as well as is thought.

Formerly known as clayseason1
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »