Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-29-18, 12:14 PM   #11
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Re: Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Breaking Bad is (along with The Wire) my favourite show of all time.

I started my own re-watch in early December, I'm on S05E03 now. I'm enjoying my second time through as much as my first. Among the many things I love about the show is the acting, prior to Breaking Bad I only knew Bryan Cranston from Malcolm in the Middle. I thought he was the best part of MitM, but I thought of him as a comedic actor and wasn't sure he could pull off a dramatic role, but man was I wrong. Cranston is absolutely amazing in this role, as are all of the other leads.

Looking forward to this thread.

I think I might do a re-watch of Better Call Saul after I finish re-watching BB.
nsguy is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-18, 03:41 PM   #12
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Hi nsguy, I'll definitely participate in your BCS rewatch when you get that started.

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-18, 04:50 PM   #13
ollie
Blew Up the Hatch

Along with many other posters on here BB is my all time fave show.

I'd never heard of Bryan Cranston before I started watching and I was blown away by his acting. This is the defining role of his career, no matter what he goes on to achieve.

I didn't watch it when it originally aired. Largely due to numerous mentions on this forum I bought S1 on Blu-ray a few years ago and very quickly bought all subsequent seasons and I binge watched it like I'd never binge-watched before! I was addicted to BB like it was crystal man!!

I've now lent all my boxsets to a friend (who's now also enjoying it immensely!) so I can't watch along, but I hope you don't mind if I chip in with my two pennies worth every now and again! I've already rewatched the show 3 or 4 times the whole way through so I really look forward to reliving the show through this thread.

Happy rewatching folks!
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-18, 06:06 PM   #14
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Absolutely Ollie, looking forward to your comments!

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-29-18, 07:32 PM   #15
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post

A little messed up how Hank's drug bust is the star of Walt's 50th b-day party.
Yeah, Hank just takes over the room. I really like how they developed his character and his wife, Marie's. There is something so familiar about them that reminds me of my BiL and family as we get to know them. That's what I'm saying about the dialogue, even though everything is written, it comes off so natural and familiar by these actors.

Quote:

Pilot

Walt threatens Jesse, using blackmail as a business bargaining chip. Walt has some serious difficulties understanding human nature.
I don't know about Walter not understanding human nature, but he sure knows how to take advantage of an opportunity that comes his way. I think it's Jesse who doesn't understand human nature and how competitive and dangerous his "associates" are. I guess the same can be said of Walter who knows nothing of the business end. I don't think it's about business at this point, it's about getting as much as he can, as fast as he can, because there's a timer ticking down on his life. Someone fell into his lap who he can use to attain his goal and we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg of Walt's personality.

Love Walt and Jesse's initial meeting the evening of the DEA drug bust. While the raid is going on, Jesse is having fun with the friendly neighbor, hears what's going on, and jumps out the bedroom window. He makes eye contact with Walter who is sitting in the ride-along vehicle and they recognize each other, ex-student, ex-teacher. I like the way Jesse assumes since they know each other, it's cool and he shhh's him, lol.

Later that evening ...

Jesse: Why are you here?
Walter: I was curious. Honestly, I never expected you to amount to much, but methamphetamine? I didn't picture that. There's a lot of money in it, huh?
Jesse: I don't know what you're talking about.
Walter No?
Jesse: Not a clue.
Walter: "Cap'n Cook?" That's not you? Like I said, no one is looking for you.
Jesse: Look, I don't know what you think you're doing here, Mr. White. I mean, if you're planning on giving me some bullshit about getting right with Jesus by turning myself in...
Walter: Not really.
Jesse: High school was a long time ago. You ain't Welcome Back, Kotter, so step off. No speeches.
Walter: Short speech. You lost your partner today. What's his name – Emilio? Emilio is going to prison. The DEA took all your money, your lab. You got nothing. Square one. But you know the business. And I know the chemistry. I'm thinking...maybe you and I could partner up.
Jesse: You, uh...you want to cook crystal meth? You. You and, uh...and me?
Walter: That's right. Either that...or I turn you in.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-29-18 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 12:57 AM   #16
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Yeah, Hank just takes over the room. I really like how they developed his character and his wife, Marie's. There is something so familiar about them that reminds me of my BiL and family as we get to know them. That's what I'm saying about the dialogue, even though everything is written, it comes off so natural and familiar by these actors.
Agreed. The casting for this show was absolutely phenomenal, even the bit parts and guest stars were chosen amazingly well. Add great writing to that, and the acting flows so naturally - i really think it's one of the most critical components that makes this show so great. Certainly there are other critical components, but the synergy of great casting, acting, and writing is undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Walter: That's right. Either that...or I turn you in.
That's what i'm talking about. Instead of trying to persuade Jesse, he threatens Jesse. It's heavy-handed and frankly a bit ham-fisted. He's lucky that Jesse has such a sweet nature. Most career criminals/crystal meth dealers would be looking for a good opportunity to dispose of anybody who treated them in such a manner.

I believe we'll be watching s01e02 tonight. I don't know if i'll be up late enough to post notes, though, that might be tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-18, 02:15 AM   #17
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Sounds like we're ready to move on to Episode 2, "The Cat's in the Bag". I'll post some of my highlights shortly..

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-30-18, 04:24 AM   #18
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Okay, i'm still awake, so i'll post my notes from s01e02, The Cat's In The Bag...

The episode opens with Sky and Walt actually having sex. Quite a difference from the heckling handjob in the pilot episode. I liked the prop detail of Walt's sweaty pillow, that kind of attention to detail is another beautiful thing about this show.

4:55: The shot of the forgotten gas mask lying out in the desert. Great shot.

Skylar seems highly suspicious right off the bat this morning. We know little of their domestic life together, but they've clearly been together a long time. I couldn't help wondering if she's always been suspicious of him. My impression is that no, she hasn't, but she has strong intuition and knows herself well enough to trust that intuition. Already she senses the change in Walt, a change he hasn't even fully realized himself yet.

In the classroom Walt lectures on chirality. He claims that the etymology of 'chiral' is from the Greek, for 'hand', and does a fine job of exploring the etymology. From etymonline: Source
Quote:
in reference to three-dimensional forms not superposable on their mirror-images, 1894, a hybrid coined by Lord Kelvin from Latinized combining form of Greek kheir "hand" (from PIE root *ghes-"hand")
This is directly related to what's going on with Walt and his Break to the Bad. Now there is a mirror of Walt, a different isomer, so to speak, that looks almost identical but acts very differently. As the students begin to file out of class, he invokes, "Knowledge is power!" which will play an important role later in this very episode, not to mention that it's a powerful theme throughout the series.

Interesting mirroring going on right away as Walt stealing from the school's supplies is contrasted by Jesse rummaging through the kitchen drawers in his own home.

14:00: Great use of music here: "You knock me out" as Crazy8 runs into the tree trying to run away from Walt, then, "You know you're moving me" as Walt tosses his limp form in the trunk/hatchback.

A few fun things on Jesse's social media page: Jesse plays drums for his band named "TwaughtHammer," classy name lol; he's into European Motocross and plans to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer - iirc we do get to see Jesse ride a crotchrocket or two later on in the series; he has a blue belt in some martial art with shuriken certification - i can't help wonder if this isn't a bit of bullshit, i don't remember seeing shurikens at any point, but i'll be keeping an eye out for them specifically now.

And Skylar doesn't know what a MILF is.

Walt thinks he might "reason" with Crazy8. He thinks he can appeal to his greed. This is a great example of how naive Walt can be at times.

20:05: "Chemical discorporation" Is Walt trying to use jargon/technical terminology as an attempt to assert superiority over Jesse? Was he feeling a little inferior for having suggested that they could "reason" with Crazy8? Interesting to note that at this point Walt tells Jesse that they are "50-50" implying a partnership with each of them on the same level; these percentages will vary wildly throughout the series.

25:40: Jesse trying to fit himself in the plastic bucket, right in the store. He realizes that doing so will look odd, possibly even arouse suspicion, but he does it anyway, and we don't see him even looking around for camera placement first.

27:00: Great visual moment here of Walt descending the stairs. Wonderful visual metaphor, especially how he couldn't quite make it all the way to the bottom when he sees that Crazy8 is awake.

I wonder if Crazy8 can sleep with that bike lock around his neck like that without strangling himself. Unimportant question i'm sure, but still i wondered.

Interesting that the door to the basement stairs has a lock on that side of the door. I wonder who and/or what Jesse's grandmother used to keep locked down there. It gave me flashes of a scene from Gaiman's Sandman.

I see Jesse drinks Crown Royal. That's pretty nice stuff. It's not MacCutcheon's by any stretch of the imagination, but the kid has some taste, at least.

Walt learns to roll a joint. Mrs. Mo and i shared some hearty laughs over that. I remember that the first time i saw that, i worried that Walt would get stoned as hell and wind trying to sing Kumbaya with Crazy8.

I love the makeup work of Jesse's gradually healing right eye. So artfully done.

33:00: Walt flakes, can't go through with it, and ducks out leaving Jesse "holding the bag" of a living breathing very dangerous Crazy8 in the basement. This is a pattern of behavior with Walt, and while i can understand ("It's a hell of thing to kill a man. You take away everything he's got, and everything he ever will have."), it's shifty and shady and a shitty thing to do, not that the alternative is a whole hell of a lot better. It's interesting because it makes Walt both more sympathetic (because he couldn't do it) and less sympathetic (because he didn't keep his word, and he leaves his mess with Jesse) - that duality echoes the concept of chirality.

Interesting scene at the ultrasound. Brian Cranston is acting the role of Bad Walter, who is in turn acting the role of Good Walter. Bad Walter isn't quite as good an actor as Brian Cranston, though, and though Skylar takes him at his word, her intuition isn't exactly satisfied. It's a girl!

37:32: On the blackboard, "Test Today - Good Luck!" An interesting sentiment from a science teacher.

38:20: The Three Stooges are shaving each other. A fun piece of foreshadowing as we're about to see a bunch of deadly dangerous slapstick, particularly with Emilio's corpse.

LOVED the short scene with Sky and Jesse. The setup, dialogue, and execution seems to me highly reminiscent of the style of so many great British SitComs.

Walt never bothered to explain to Jesse why the plastic tub was important. When Jesse asked, instead of taking ten seconds to explain, Walt took 5 seconds to act like a heavy-handed dick, and gave Jesse the high hat "just do what i f***ing tell you." As Jesse apparently didn't usually do what Walt told him to do in high school, i have to question Walt's judgment there. I realize that Walt's feeling a lot of pressure, and i'll admit that i wasn't as bothered by the way he treats Jesse the first time i watched the series, but i'm really seeing how Walt's shitty attitude and high-handed treatment of his hand-picked partner actually cause them both a lot of otherwise unnecessary problems. I don't mean to poop on his character nor the way he's written by pointing these things out, though, on the contrary it all makes him more realistic, more compelling, and even, in a sort of twisted way, more sympathetic.

Odd that a couple of kids would be playing soccer, or even just kicking a ball, way the heck out in the middle of nowhere like that. Convenient for making the point that these guys are operating in a real world, and that there will be real consequences for that world from their actions. Also the little girl in the middle of a wasteland wearing a gas mask was an amazing visual, and a great way to close this episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-18, 07:49 AM   #19
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

A really excellent recap and analysis Mr. Mo.

I don't think I've ever seen something as grotesque and yet hilarious on network TV as the punchline in this episode. Only the writing staff of Breaking Bad or Stephen King could come up with something so macabre and yet hilarious at the same time. The Three Stooges are a great metaphor for that gag. An not surprisingly, they made an appearance in this episode.

Quote:

4:55: The shot of the forgotten gas mask lying out in the desert. Great shot.
They use the desert backdrops beautifully in this show. I also like the snow covered mountains in the background at the school. Some really nice shots.

Quote:
Skylar seems highly suspicious right off the bat this morning. We know little of their domestic life together, but they've clearly been together a long time. I couldn't help wondering if she's always been suspicious of him. My impression is that no, she hasn't, but she has strong intuition and knows herself well enough to trust that intuition. Already she senses the change in Walt, a change he hasn't even fully realized himself yet.
The change in Walt is also apparent to Marie who brings it up to Skyler, but that breakfast phone call from "AT&T" (Jesse) and Walt's responses would raise questions by anyone. It was obvious something wasn't right and was natural for Skyler to investigate, particularly in light of the fact that he's been coming home at 2 AM and she's completely in the dark.

Quote:
In the classroom Walt lectures on chirality. He claims that the etymology of 'chiral' is from the Greek, for 'hand', and does a fine job of exploring the etymology. From etymonline: Source

This is directly related to what's going on with Walt and his Break to the Bad. Now there is a mirror of Walt, a different isomer, so to speak, that looks almost identical but acts very differently. As the students begin to file out of class, he invokes, "Knowledge is power!" which will play an important role later in this very episode, not to mention that it's a powerful theme throughout the series.
A really nice analysis, and to be honest its relationship to Walter always escaped me because I fixate on the Thalidomide description in that scene since I've known several victims of that drug.

Quote:
14:00: Great use of music here: "You knock me out" as Crazy8 runs into the tree trying to run away from Walt, then, "You know you're moving me" as Walt tosses his limp form in the trunk/hatchback.
The music selection in this series is for me one of the most important components of this series, and it just gets better. There are some amazing montages set to the most appropriate music in future episodes that just blow me away.

Quote:
A few fun things on Jesse's social media page: Jesse plays drums for his band named "TwaughtHammer," classy name lol; he's into European Motocross and plans to attend Wheelie School in Vegas this summer - iirc we do get to see Jesse ride a crotchrocket or two later on in the series; he has a blue belt in some martial art with shuriken certification - i can't help wonder if this isn't a bit of bullshit, i don't remember seeing shurikens at any point, but i'll be keeping an eye out for them specifically now.

And Skylar doesn't know what a MILF is.
I also froze it on his list of accomplishments. Well he does have a motorcycle in his garage where he took the wheel lock used on Krazy-8. There's also a "Wheelie University" in my neck of the woods. They offer a one day course on the wheelie.

Yeah, Skyler has apparently lived a fairly sheltered life. Her background isn't really explored as I recall, except that she met Walt while she was a hostess working at a coffee shop near the Los Alamos lab where he used to work. As we'll find out, she also has an accounting background and obviously does the books in the household.

Quote:
Interesting to note that at this point Walt tells Jesse that they are "50-50" implying a partnership with each of them on the same level; these percentages will vary wildly throughout the series.
He uses the percentages only for manipulation to get what he wants.

Quote:
25:40: Jesse trying to fit himself in the plastic bucket, right in the store. He realizes that doing so will look odd, possibly even arouse suspicion, but he does it anyway, and we don't see him even looking around for camera placement first.
Gawd, that was hilarious. Only two reasons to try to fit into a container.. to use as a snow sled (or were those cafeteria trays?) or to stash a body, lol.

Quote:
27:00: Great visual moment here of Walt descending the stairs. Wonderful visual metaphor, especially how he couldn't quite make it all the way to the bottom when he sees that Crazy8 is awake.
Walt was really in a moral dilemna throughout the episode. He was definitely distracted in the classroom ..hearing "murder" instead of "midterm".

Quote:
33:00: Walt flakes, can't go through with it, and ducks out leaving Jesse "holding the bag" of a living breathing very dangerous Crazy8 in the basement. This is a pattern of behavior with Walt, and while i can understand ("It's a hell of thing to kill a man. You take away everything he's got, and everything he ever will have."), it's shifty and shady and a shitty thing to do, not that the alternative is a whole hell of a lot better. It's interesting because it makes Walt both more sympathetic (because he couldn't do it) and less sympathetic (because he didn't keep his word, and he leaves his mess with Jesse) - that duality echoes the concept of chirality.
I agree and thanks again for reminding me of the chiral concept, it's absolutely evident that is what the showrunners were going for.

Quote:
Interesting scene at the ultrasound. Brian Cranston is acting the role of Bad Walter, who is in turn acting the role of Good Walter. Bad Walter isn't quite as good an actor as Brian Cranston, though, and though Skylar takes him at his word, her intuition isn't exactly satisfied. It's a girl!
Sklyer would not be able to comprehend that Walt could be involved in anything beyond recreational pot, particularly with a DEA agent in the family.

Quote:
38:20: The Three Stooges are shaving each other. A fun piece of foreshadowing as we're about to see a bunch of deadly dangerous slapstick, particularly with Emilio's corpse.
Yep.. as I mentioned above, only the writing staff of Breaking Bad or Stephen King could come up with something so macabre and yet hilarious at the same time.

Quote:
Walt never bothered to explain to Jesse why the plastic tub was important. When Jesse asked, instead of taking ten seconds to explain, Walt took 5 seconds to act like a heavy-handed dick, and gave Jesse the high hat "just do what i f***ing tell you." As Jesse apparently didn't usually do what Walt told him to do in high school, i have to question Walt's judgment there. I realize that Walt's feeling a lot of pressure, and i'll admit that i wasn't as bothered by the way he treats Jesse the first time i watched the series, but i'm really seeing how Walt's shitty attitude and high-handed treatment of his hand-picked partner actually cause them both a lot of otherwise unnecessary problems. I don't mean to poop on his character nor the way he's written by pointing these things out, though, on the contrary it all makes him more realistic, more compelling, and even, in a sort of twisted way, more sympathetic.
Walt really cuts Jesse off at the store when Jesse asked for an explanation. Walt says something like .. "you basically slept through my lectures so I'm not giving you another chemistry lesson". But at the same time I don't think it even remotely occurred to Walt that Jesse would use his bathtub.

Quote:
Odd that a couple of kids would be playing soccer, or even just kicking a ball, way the heck out in the middle of nowhere like that. Convenient for making the point that these guys are operating in a real world, and that there will be real consequences for that world from their actions. Also the little girl in the middle of a wasteland wearing a gas mask was an amazing visual, and a great way to close this episode.
I figure that the kids lived on the property with the "cow house", as Jesse puts it.
The girl putting on the gas mask was a great shot but a little sad, a sort of a clash of cultures and loss of innocence. That may be overkill in this case, but historically not so much.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-30-18 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 05:57 PM   #20
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Back to the pilot briefly, that last scene where Walt was literally laundering the money (nice foreshadowing), I assume it was to remove the smell of phosphene gas? I'm not sure if that is a standard practice for money laundering thieves and the origin of that term.

eta: yes Google is our friend..

I read that the origin is that the mafia used to buy up laundromats to co-mingle their illegal profits, so "money laundering" is most likely just a metaphor.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-30-18 at 06:08 PM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »