Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Outlander - Starz Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 07-19-13, 11:51 PM   #11
Loveriot
Comfortable with morally grey
Talks Backwards

Send a message via ICQ to Loveriot
Re: Outlander

Outlander - Coming to STARZ in 2014

Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire's heart between two vastly different men in to irreconcilable lives. The "Outlander" series spans the genres of romance, science fiction, history, and adventure into one grandiose tale.

Sam Heughan will play the role of Jamie Fraser. Armed with sheer grit and enduring strength, he is intelligent, principled, and, by 18th century standards, educated and worldly, with a tenderness and compassion that stands out in contrast to his contemporaries. A natural leader of men, he has no political ambitions or desire for battlefield glories. Instead, he wishes to remove the price on his head and return to his family's ancestral farm.

Diana Gabaldon said, "That man is a Scot to the bone and Jamie Fraser to the heart…having seen Sam Heughan not just act, but be Jamie. I feel immensely grateful to the production team for their painstaking attention to the soul of the story and characters."

Sam Heughan is a performer on stage, screen and film and a graduate of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama where he was a 2003 nominee for the Laurence Olivier Award for Most Promising Performance for his work in the program.

The series adaptation for "Outlander" will be written by Ronald D. Moore ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," "Star Trek: The Next Generation"). Moore is best known for his work on "Battlestar Galactica," which won him a Peabody Award in 2006.

Outlander begins filming in Scotland this fall.
Loveriot is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-13, 02:47 AM   #12
Scott
Chat Killer
Carries Big Stick

This is all over the news here. We like it when Americans come across the pond to use our shores :P http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-23374425
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-13, 05:04 AM   #13
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

This is funny in so many ways...

For many romance readers, the whole series is a romance (the series revolves around Jamie and Claire Fraser). However, and because several of the earlier reviews from romance review blogs stated that the couple spent too much time apart (a romance genre convention has it that that couple should spend the majority of the book together) and thus they weren't happy with it, Ms Gabaldon started saying that the books are categorically NOT a romance (hint: they are, much more than anything Nicholas Sparks has ever written).

Interestingly, the article Scott links to says that it's a science fiction series--when the only element remotely science fiction-y about the whole series is that a few of the characters travel in time. However, this is not a technological thing, but a supernatural, woo-woo kinda thing, which makes the "science fiction" bit in the newsbit rather funny.

And then, there's Ms Gabaldon's rendition of Scottish history. A few romance readers from Scotland hate the books with the passion of a million burning sons, because they claim it distorts historical events while claiming that it was painstakingly researched.

Either way, I hope it's a success for everyone involved (though I won't be watching it).

Ignoring annoying blowhards everywhere, for a good long time
azteclady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-13, 07:20 PM   #14
genelady
Arrives By Sub

From executive producer Ron D. Moore:

"At the same time, Moore and his former Deep Space Nine executive producing partner, Ira Behr, are prepping the adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s time-traveling, historical romance series, Outlander, into a premium cable series for Starz network.

Moore enthusiastically reveals that they’ll be shooting the series in Scotland this fall. “It’s a really an exciting piece. We have 16 episodes. It’s a big production, and if you know the books at all, it’s a big, sweeping story.”

“We’re at pains to really follow the books,” he says to assure concerned readers. “One of the great things was Starz said to us early on was, 'We love the books, we think they are great so let's make the [show] for the people who love the books. Let’s make it for the fans of the books first and trust that anyone who doesn’t know the material will get swept along in the story like everyone else does.' Nobody ever says that,” Moore laughs. “Typically studios and networks just say, 'Yeah, we don’t really care about the book. We bought it for the cover or whatever…' and then dispense with it very early on [in the process]. This was the rare time when everybody said this is great material and we like the story and these characters so let’s try to get as close to the books as possible in the show and that’s what we are doing.”

I sure hope so!

http://www.blastr.com/2013-7-23/we-c...-and-outlander
genelady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-14, 04:56 PM   #15
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

Outlander (on STARZ)

Okay, so I'm a fan of the first three (very looooooooooong) novels in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

Some of you readers out there may have heard of them--the first two titles were originally (back in the early to mid 90s) marketed as romances, the rest have been mostly sold as "historical fiction" or even "literary fiction."

Either way, about 25 million copies of the series have been sold around the world in I don't remember how many languages.

After almost 20 years of fans arguing over whether a movie or a series of movies would--could--do the books justice, STARZ is bringing it to the small screen in a series directed by Ronald D Moore (who you may know from Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek).

If you are in any way intrigued, you can watch the first episode free tonight, after midnight at Starz.com and, sometime after that, on their youtube channel for a limited time.

The series itself debuts, for subscribers, on August 9th, 2014.

Ignoring annoying blowhards everywhere, for a good long time
azteclady is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-14, 05:16 PM   #16
Rose
Always Comes Home
Slacker Extraordinaire
Cons the Conman

Re: Outlander (on STARZ)

I've read the first two books and like them very much. I'll definitely watch, and cross my fingers that they do the books justice.
Old 08-01-14, 06:14 PM   #17
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Azteclady, I've been viewing a lot of promos for this series, so its already on my radar.
Old 08-04-14, 11:13 AM   #18
Joolz
Blew Up the Hatch

Location: Sacred Meadows (a mythical place in Northern California)

Looking forward to this one!

Joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-14, 12:55 AM   #19
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

I can't wait!

Outlander is possibly my favorite book of all time. I really enjoyed Voyager (3rd in series) too, although I felt like things started moving in a strange direction at the end.

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-14, 09:54 PM   #20
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Did anyone catch this last night?

How was it?