Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > American Gods - Starz Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-17, 10:21 PM   #51
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where it never rains!
Posts: 22,941
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

This latest episode, Git Gone, may've been the best episode of television ever.

I'm trying to hold off on spilling my guts. I'm having an extremely hard time keeping it to myself.
__________________

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 05-22-17 at 10:23 PM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 11:20 PM   #52
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub
 
vonnegut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hunting
Posts: 74,298
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

See, this is the first one I didn't really enjoy as much.

I think a combination of the storyline not progressing at all (ending in the same place as the previous ep), and the show going off-script to where it contradicts itself (in episode 1, the show stated, as in the book, that Shadow was in jail for assault. Now, all of a sudden, he's in jail for robbing the casino? What?).

The scene with Audrey was hysterically funny.
It was cool seeing the Egyptians.

Otherwise, it seemed kind of like a waste of time.
__________________
For your sake, I hope youíre lying. Cause if itís true, I swear to God, I will march into hell myself and I will slaughter each and every one of you evil sons of bitches.



Honestly, I think the world's going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight.
We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'.



vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-17, 12:05 AM   #53
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where it never rains!
Posts: 22,941
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
See, this is the first one I didn't really enjoy as much...
Shame on you, Vonne!


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
...I think a combination of the storyline not progressing at all (ending in the same place as the previous ep), and the show going off-script to where it contradicts itself (in episode 1, the show stated, as in the book, that Shadow was in jail for assault. Now, all of a sudden, he's in jail for robbing the casino? What?)...
The highlighted portion was one of the most unique aspects of the episode. When it ended (and I knew that's where it was heading), I looked at TPTB (Mrs. Hodgepodge) and said, "Now, that was a HELL of an episode."

I didn't mind the storyline not progressing for two reasons.

One, it was a "flashback", and everyone knows how much I love a flashback. Plus, it answered my assumption that Laura didn't have an affair.

She had an affair alright. And, she was actually found with the guys penis in her mouth. Just damn!

I didn't catch the contradiction, but I bet I can put aside your consternation?

After reading your post, I immediately thought he tried to get away and beat on a couple of casino employees. I assumed it wasn't fighting the police, because it wasn't resisting arrest. JMO!


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
...The scene with Audrey was hysterically funny.
It was cool seeing the Egyptians...
What a great scene, especially since Laura was standing there holding her arm that had been ripped off.

Speaking of her arm...So that's how Shadow survived that lynching. It was Laura coming to his aid. What unbridled strength and power.

Vonne, when the episode opened with the Egyptian walking thru the scene, I thought we were going to get another history lesson. I was pleasantly surprised.
__________________
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-17, 08:33 PM   #54
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button
 
Pi-o-my's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 701
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

It sounds like Laura's "perfect" plan fell apart before the cheating of the casino could even begin. A chunk of detail felt missing, and it's hard to believe TPTB could be so careless, especially about something that would jump out to readers of the book. (Vonne's right, in the first episode it was explicitly stated by someone at the prison that Shadow's sentence was for assault and battery.)

I have mixed feelings about how they've expanded the character of Laura. I'm glad to learn more about her but it feels pretty shallow, IMO. So she was dead inside when she met Shadow, and he wasn't much help at filling up her emptiness. Are they saying she needed more (literal) magic in her life? Spiritual belief? There was't much background to her back story, and not much explanation for why Shadow would fall in love with her.

Also, it was too on-the-nose for my taste to have so much display of Anubis and Thoth at the Dynasty Casino. There are plenty of additional Egyptian gods to also include in their decor.

There was plenty to like in the episode, I just wish it didn't feel so skimpy. Flies were attracted to dead-inside Laura before the accident, and I liked the contrast between "Welcome home" streamers and the fly-catching streamer. Now we know how Shadow was saved from Tech Boy's boys. It looks to me like the reanimated Laura is "Shadow's Laura," the way he wished she was, rather than her previous self. New-Laura referred to him as the "light" of her life -- the light of a golden coin?

Norse Mythology note, long Gaiman story, short version: Loki once cheated to win a bet by turning himself into a biting fly.

Last edited by Pi-o-my; 05-24-17 at 08:42 PM.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-17, 09:40 PM   #55
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where it never rains!
Posts: 22,941
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
It sounds like Laura's "perfect" plan fell apart before the cheating of the casino could even begin. A chunk of detail felt missing, and it's hard to believe TPTB could be so careless, especially about something that would jump out to readers of the book. (Vonne's right, in the first episode it was explicitly stated by someone at the prison that Shadow's sentence was for assault and battery.)
Pi-o-my, didn't Laura make the assumption the plan was fool-proof, so it was something Shadow didn't do, or did poorly?

The second highlighted portion would be great as a flashback.

We'd find out exactly what happened in the casino. And, I've got to believe it was Shadow's fault. I remember what Laura told him. "I've worked at the casino for 8-years. I know everyone's job as well as what they're going to be doing every minute of their shift."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...I have mixed feelings about how they've expanded the character of Laura. I'm glad to learn more about her but it feels pretty shallow, IMO. So she was dead inside when she met Shadow, and he wasn't much help at filling up her emptiness. Are they saying she needed more (literal) magic in her life? Spiritual belief? There was't much background to her back story...
She'd go to work, come home and find him sleep or working out. He offered nothing to brighten her life.

I can't remember much about her backstory either, except the story about her grandmother. The woman who left her the house.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...Also, it was too on-the-nose for my taste to have so much display of Anubis and Thoth at the Dynasty Casino. There are plenty of additional Egyptian gods to also include in their decor...
Yeah, when I recognized Anubis, I just knew we were in for another history lesson. Great Directorial choice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...Flies were attracted to dead-inside Laura before the accident, and I liked the contrast between "Welcome home" streamers and the fly-catching streamer...
Another great choice by the Director. Loved the audio throughout that portion of the episode as well. Kind'a made you start swatting imaginary flies from around your own head.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...It looks to me like the reanimated Laura is "Shadow's Laura," the way he wished she was, rather than her previous self. New-Laura referred to him as the "light" of her life -- the light of a golden coin...
I really want to talk about this portion of your post.

Something Anubis said to Laura once she got back to "their" mortuary. Something to the effect, 'I'll see you once this portion of your "life/death" is over.' He's still planning on putting her someplace where their would be nothingness. That's the impression I got.

So, she's still dead and will remain dead? Is the meeting between her and Shadow to apologize for things she did, or something else?

She saw him a couple of times as complete "light". This was before she knew who he was.
__________________
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-17, 10:34 PM   #56
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub
 
vonnegut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hunting
Posts: 74,298
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
So, she's still dead and will remain dead?
I reckon otherwise having an arm come off would be more of a big deal.


__________________
For your sake, I hope youíre lying. Cause if itís true, I swear to God, I will march into hell myself and I will slaughter each and every one of you evil sons of bitches.



Honestly, I think the world's going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight.
We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'.



vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-17, 10:39 PM   #57
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where it never rains!
Posts: 22,941
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
I reckon otherwise having an arm come off would be more of a big deal.




I mean, she was just carrying "it" around.

Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #58
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button
 
Pi-o-my's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 701
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

I thought it was pretty amusing that right after Laura referred to Shadow as “Puppy” (when Audrey, correctly, said Laura treated him more like “a pet”) Anubis shows up in hound form. But I’m trying to withhold judgment on Laura being taken to the mortuary to see how the series continues its treatment of Audrey (who was, I guess, left behind along with her car) and of the mortuary. No reason was given for why Audrey’s repair of the arm wasn’t good enough, though maybe it’s obvious that it needed godly skills to function properly.

Hodge, you may be right about Shadow having screwed up Laura's plan. That would put more of the burden of guilt on him, making it less a noble gesture that he took the full fall. I don't want to say too much about Laura's state, since the series seems to be going in a different direction than the book with her. But yes, she's dead. (Note the massive increase in the number of flies when she's at the motel.) Did anyone else the presence of first one raven (when Robbie parked in front of Laura's house) and then both of them (following the car Robbie and Laura then crashed.)

I just want to point out that Betty Gilpin (Audrey) was Sherlock’s love interest on Elementary a while ago. Totally different roles done extremely well.

Last edited by Pi-o-my; Yesterday at 08:13 PM.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #59
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Where it never rains!
Posts: 22,941
Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
...Hodge, you may be right about Shadow having screwed up Laura's plan. That would put more of the burden of guilt on him, making it less a noble gesture that he took the full fall. I don't want to say too much about Laura's state, since the series seems to be going in a different direction than the book with her. But yes, she's dead. (Note the massive increase in the number of flies when she's at the motel.) Did anyone else the presence of first one raven (when Robbie parked in front of Laura's house) and then both of them (following the car Robbie and Laura then crashed.)
I'm trying to remember the line from, The Princess Bride about death?

And yes, I noticed the Ravens. Just forgot to mention them.
__________________
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »


Bookmarks

Tags
american gods starz, fantasy, ian mcshane, neil gaiman

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


» Latest Posts: All Discussion Forums
Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Forum
NBA/WNBA Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
LostInWilderness
Today 02:43 PM
by boonian androphile
2,778 Sports Discussion
What's New/Tomato Envy ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
catnap
Today 01:21 PM
by Mr Mo
5,281 Lostaways! :)
LTV Tourney - Sandor Clegane vs. Jaime... ( 1 2 3)
vonnegut
Today 11:37 AM
by vonnegut
21 Game of Thrones
LTV Tourney - Oberyn Martell vs. Gregor... ( 1 2 3)
vonnegut
Today 11:36 AM
by vonnegut
28 Game of Thrones
Bloodline - Netflix
nsguy
Today 11:21 AM
by nsguy
8 Featured TV General
Genius - NatGeo Tuesday ( 1 2)
Mr. Bill
Today 11:12 AM
by 9mile monster
10 Featured TV General
The Americans - FX Tuesday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
vincentstuntdbl#23
Today 04:36 AM
by kimny72
330 Featured TV General
Elementary - CBS Sunday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Hodgepodge
Today 04:19 AM
by vincentstuntdbl#23
555 Featured TV General
Favorite scenes in LOST ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
topcat
Today 03:37 AM
by Mr Mo
80 General Discussion
Survivor 34: Game Changers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
WDGovernor
Today 02:51 AM
by Warthawg1
300 Survivor
Carina Press editor open to submissions
azteclady
Yesterday 10:56 PM
by azteclady
0 Writing as a Career
American Gods - Starz Sunday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
sandi
Yesterday 10:37 PM
by Hodgepodge
58 Featured TV General
» Online Users: 220
7 members and 213 guests
boonian androphile, Dark Side Of The Moon, Lawboy, Liz, Mr. Bill, nsguy, Tawaret
Most users ever online was 26,316, 05-12-14 at 10:02 AM.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.0

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Graphic Design by Crazy Creative
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.