Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Mindhunter - Netflix

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 10-22-17, 12:33 AM   #21
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Re: Mindhunter - Netflix

I was fine with the final scene but the last few episodes weren't as solid as the others were. I guess Mr. ADT will be the focus of Season 2.

The handling of the principal was odd. My advice to the council would have been to issue a final warning that there would be zero tolerance for physical contact of any kind. He still likely would have balked but at that point the blame is on the principal.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-17, 03:46 AM   #22
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

With all they're learning about serial killers and their triggers, one would think the principal situation would have been handled with more discretion. I'm curious to know if we'll see any more of him.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-17, 10:20 AM   #23
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
With all they're learning about serial killers and their triggers, one would think the principal situation would have been handled with more discretion. I'm curious to know if we'll see any more of him.
yeah. I think they worked hard to show Holden's cockiness and flaws.

What was the point of the cat? I was hoping she'd catch it and adopt it.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-17, 02:06 AM   #24
topcat
Follows the Cable

Re: Mindhunter - Netflix Agent Ford impetuous

Agent Ford as depicted is the show is remarkably blind to the possible negative legal ramifications of his actions toward and regarding that school principal. It is hard to imagine an agent who is that ignorant or contemptuous of the legal ramifications of his actions.
In real life that school principal would have had grounds to sue Ford and the FBI over his firing and subsequent blackballing as they were directly influenced by the actions of agent Ford. Agents are trained to not only enforce the law but to recognize and avoid liability on their own parts.
Agent Ford's attitude reminds me of a rash high school kid who acts and speaks without thinking things through completely.
It is a common trope for the main protagonist to act recklessly and get himself into trouble. This builds tension for the viewers who identify with him. But it is pretty transparent and silly.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-17, 04:04 AM   #25
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

I'm on episode 3. i like it. the lead agent seems like a lost intelligent puppy in a horror show world. i like him with his equally intelligent girlfriend. she's a trip.
boonian androphile is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-17, 07:27 PM   #26
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
I'm on episode 3. i like it. the lead agent seems like a lost intelligent puppy in a horror show world. i like him with his equally intelligent girlfriend. she's a trip.
Yes, his girlfriend is quite smart and very busy studying. Is she getting a graduate degree? I don't recall. She is smart, and independent.

I like the show in general. It is inspired by the real life work which led to the present day FBI profiling which is so incredibly accurate most of the time.

Naturally the writers must liven up the story by giving the main protagonists problems in their personal lives, which introduces additional story arcs. And they create conflict by having them exaggerate their emotional responses.

Otherwise the show would be only about the development of profiling, and a large part of the audience would get bored if that were the whole show.

My pet peeve with, not this show in particular, but with a great many Hollywood productions, is the way they (in my opinion) overplay the tropes used to create tension and conflict. I mean, it is reasonable that agent Ford might become emotional about issues and have his decisions influenced by his emotions. But it isn't reasonable or credible that he acts completely ignorant of, or that he doesn't even consider, the legal and ethical ramifications of his decisions and actions. Who are they writing this show for? Junior high school kids?

SPOILER ALERT If you have not seen the episodes dealing with the school principal you might want to stop reading now.

Agent Ford frequently displays an almost defiantly immature and willfully blind attitude. If he feels strongly about something he acts as if his actions are justified, regardless whether his actions create legal liability for himself and others.
Agent Ford, acting in his capacity as a federal agent, suggested to parents of children at an elementary school that the principal might molest their children in the future. Granted the principal had tickled the soles of the children's feet as punishment, instead of more harsh methods. That is weird, but not illegal, and not a predictor of sexual molestation.

The principal had no criminal record and had never been accused by anyone of molesting children. Because of Ford's prediction that he might do that in the future the principal was fired and blacklisted so that he could not get a job in the education field. That is grounds for a defamation lawsuit against not only Ford but the FBI. (Even if the principal should later actually molest a child, it doesn't excuse Ford for defaming the man and ruining his career.)

This is just one incident. There are other cases in which Ford displays this attitude of "I feel strongly and am stewing in my emotions, therefore I am justified. I need not consider how my actions will affect my colleagues, my employer, or third parties".

It just is not credible that a federal agent would not have been trained in how to avoid the legal liabilities Ford repeatedly creates. He shows no remorse, or recognition of having made a mistake. Instead he seems to double down on his attitude that the strength and depth of his emotions justify him.

Hollywood uses this trope very frequently, and I hate it. They could just as easily write characters who feel great depth of emotion, but behave responsibly.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »