Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion > The MOST Annoying Character on LOST is

Old 05-22-17, 08:39 AM   #51
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: The MOST Annoying Character on LOST is

I think that part of what the writers were looking to explore there was a theme that never really got fleshed out - Mike's from NYC, and he's a product of the particular culture of that city, which includes a deep taboo against weaponry. I can only think of one other example right now but i'm pretty sure there are a few others. When Mike thinks that Jin stole his watch, he says, "Where I'm from, people who look like him and people who look like me don't get along." or something to that effect, which was a reference to difficulties in NYC between the Korean and Black communities. I know there are similar problems in L. A. and other cities as well, but I think the writers were trying to more fully paint Mike as a NYC guy and that that had a lot to do with his over-reaction to the knife episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-17, 11:09 PM   #52
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Lives View Post
On a personal note, I didn't take great issue with what Locke did. I would say hunting knives are relatively harmless and given the circumstances (lost on a seemingly deserted island) skill with one might prove useful, even for a ten year old.

My point, however, was more in regard to the idea that there are many people with varying ideas about what constitutes "proper" conduct in any given situation.

Fortunately, we have peacekeepers operating in society (I'm thinking ideally about the police force and legislators here) that can help broker non-violent resolutions between aggrieved parties.

The island provided the writers with an interesting means of talking about societal issues, such as the one we are discussing, without the trappings of society.

IMO, the writing team did a decent job exploring a number of issues that many of us will encounter in our lives.

I think that's at least partially evident with the fact that people today are still thinking critically and expressing constructive ideas about the show.
Yes, this story provided a great venue for touching on societal issues.
The general issue of how the people go about forming a government, what kind of government, and how the leaders perform is one issue which the show brought to mind.
We surely saw how power can and does corrupt individuals, how principles are broken for expediency. Though nobody really elected Jack, he assumed the role of community leader. It made sense for him to be in charge of the medical and general health issues. We saw him step up and look to finding clean water for the survivors early on.
But he assumed too much authority in some ways, to the detriment of the group. For example, when it became known that Ethan was planning on killing one member each day until they gave Claire to him, Jack decided on his own that no handguns would be issued for protection against attacks. He did this without checking to see how many people had previously received training in the safe and effective use of handguns, though he certainly was aware that Sayid was trained in their use. And he did this despite the fact that the survivors very lives were threatened with premeditated murder by a committed individual who had committed felony assault, attempted murder, on one of their members only weeks beforehand.
Later in the show, he expressed what seemed to be his rationale for this autocratic behavior when he said: "you people have been asking me to make decisions for the group, well I just made one".
People asked his opinion a few times and he decided this gave him the authority to be the boss and to make decisions affecting the whole group without consulting anyone.
Locke likewise decided he had been chosen to make decisions for the others, though he felt his authority had been conferred upon him by the island and the esoteric knowledge he felt was granted him in serial fashion.
Both Jack and Locke were permitted to act autocratically in part because the rest of the group failed to stand up to, or challenge them. This shows in microcosm how government excess and abuse of power can become entrenched when the people fail to reign it in.
Other lessons can be drawn from the show as well. Those are just a couple of things which popped out at me.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-17, 01:41 AM   #53
SkateFan
Arrives By Sub

Paolo and Nikki. Their whole episode was just a waste of space. It coulda been used to focus on characters people actually care about (like Rose and Bernard).
SkateFan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-17, 04:52 AM   #54
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Nikki and Paolo for me. They served no purpose, other than retconning the show, and were thankfully removed fairly quickly.

Most of my annoyances were with the writing as a whole rather than specific characters.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-17, 07:17 AM   #55
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

Thumbs down Re: The MOST Annoying Character on LOST is

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
To me, it is Charley Pace.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-17, 07:30 PM   #56
Long Con
Talks Backwards

I just finished 4 seasons of re watching and Jack is sooooo annoying!
Always yelling at the top of his lungs, so angry all the time. Man does he have issues.

Sawyer and Dez will always be my favorites.

"You needed a father figure and I needed a kidney, get over it!" - Coop

Long Con is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-17, 01:59 AM   #57
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I will give an honorable mention to Ben. His introduction was fantastic but he gradually became a Mary Sure character imo. I simply have little patience for most shows that keep villains around long past their expiration date. He should have been killed off in Season 4 at the latest.

A show that did a great job of keeping the villain characters but evolving them was Farscape. But they also allowed those characters to make massive mistakes and become truly sympathetic.

But to be fair, I stopped caring about most of the characters on Lost by the fifth season.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-17, 09:11 AM   #58
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

Charlie is annoying because there are so many of him in the real world and all of them are annoying. Last thing I want to do is revisit them on a tv show.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion »