Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > The Walking Dead > Walking Dead TV Discussion WITH Knowledge of the Comics (CONTAINS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS)

Old 10-28-11, 07:17 PM   #1
sgtdraino
Keeper of Locke's Luggage
Carries Big Stick

Exclamation Walking Dead TV Discussion WITH Knowledge of the Comics (CONTAINS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS)

It has come to my attention that some folks would like to discuss the show in contrast to their full and complete knowledge of the comic book series. This is the thread to do that! Feel free to compare and contrast what you saw in episodes of The Walking Dead with what you read in the comic books, no spoiler tags required.

If you are trying to avoid potential spoilers from the comic books, DON'T READ THIS THREAD. If you are now in the process of reading the comics, but are not up-to-date and don't want to be spoiled on more recent comic book developments, DON'T READ THIS THREAD.

For the rest of us... BEGIN.
Old 10-28-11, 07:48 PM   #2
melostmo
Mozombieek
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via Yahoo to melostmo
Cool Re: Walking Dead TV Discussion WITH stuff that was NEVER in the Series, but I read it outside the..

.. series, and therefore whenever we discuss the actual TV series .. I'm correct, you're wrong ! THREAD

disclaimer - the above is intended solely as humor, and is in no way a reference to any particular member living or undead.

.. LOL

put your finger in the dike... and the world will come to you
melostmo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-11, 07:58 PM   #3
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Re: Walking Dead TV Discussion WITH Knowledge of the Comics (CONTAINS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS)

mo is quite correct, in that the TV series has fundamental differences from the comic book series. Stuff in the comics may never come to pass on the TV show, and vice-versa. That is one reason why I feel pretty comfortable "reading ahead" in the comic books, without feeling too spoiled on the TV show. But each to his own. Also, the TV show will probably continue to follow the comic books in a broad sense.

For example, Daryl does not (yet) exist as a character in the comic books (neither does Merle), yet he's turned into one of the strongest characters in the TV series.

On the other hand, our survivors have indeed now arrived at Hershel's farm due to Carl getting shot, which is pretty much what happened in the comic books.

This is a thread for discussing the differences between these two mediums, and engaging in some speculation about what one might mean for future plot points in the other.

For example, Shane was killed looooong before this point in the TV series at about the point where (in the show) we see him pointing his shotgun at Rick in the woods. In the comic books, Carl sees him doing this, and ends up shooting Shane dead. Wow. Yes, the little kid kills Shane.

So Shane is a real wild card in the TV Show, he is completely off the map. I wonder where he will end up?

Last edited by sgtdraino; 10-28-11 at 08:01 PM.
sgtdraino is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-11, 08:21 PM   #4
Tater
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via Yahoo to Tater Send a message via Skype™ to Tater
Re: Walking Dead TV Discussion WITH Knowledge of the Comics (CONTAINS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS)

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you!

I was going to open a thread like this myself but got a little sidetracked the past few days. It's rather difficult discussing the showing already knowing the main plot points with people who are determined that knowing them will ruin the show. Personally, I think it makes the show infinitely better having read the comics.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-11, 08:13 AM   #5
Cassiopia
Talks Backwards

i have never read any comic books and badger said he never read the comic books about WD but he still knows alot of the things that are in them and he just tells me stuff like -that is the doctors house who is really a vet and he has zombies in the barn in case there is ever a cure- ...while we are watchin the show!!! so i am already spoiled and i did not even want to be spoiled. LOL
Cassiopia is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-11, 09:05 AM   #6
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

lol. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the reveal of the zombies in the barn, because Hershel is convinced they aren't really dead, just "sick!" I am assuming the show will go that route, of course. No guarantees!
Old 10-29-11, 01:46 PM   #7
melostmo
Mozombieek
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via Yahoo to melostmo

sarge, r the comics online anywhere ?
if so, mebe u can post a LINK

i can't be seen in a comic store

put your finger in the dike... and the world will come to you
melostmo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-11, 05:35 PM   #8
Brian
Admirer of Sweaty Kate
Drinks Dharma Beer

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian

You don't have to go to a comic store, mo. You can get the graphic novels in any regular book store. Though to answer your question, as far as I know, they're not available online anywhere, at least not for free. Comixology has them for about the same price as buying in a comic store.
Old 10-31-11, 07:11 AM   #9
Tater
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via Yahoo to Tater Send a message via Skype™ to Tater

I guess killing off Otis so soon is one of those things done for the TV show that's supposed to be "shocking" for us TWD comic fans.

Eh... ok.

Otis was never that major a character in the comics and he would just died at the prison anyways. As long as they are still keeping Shane alive, I suppose the way Otis went out was good because it made Shane look that much more evil.

I don't know when Shane is gonna die (I very much hope it is before this season is over) but if he dies any other way that's not Carl shooting him, I will be extremely displeased.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-11, 07:46 AM   #10
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

I think they are doing a good job of keeping with the theme in the comic that Rick's people stick together and never fully integrate with others they encounter.
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > The Walking Dead »