Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Mr. Robot - USA Wednesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 07-20-15, 07:00 PM   #21
Maturin
Loyaulté me lie
Hears the Whispers

Re: Mr. Robot (USA)

This is the first show in a long time that's made me want to go back and watch frame by frame to analyze everything in the background. I've only seen the pilot but look forward to catching up on the show and the thread. So far, I like how we all seem to be characters in the story too (although we may be among the fictional ones in Elliot's mind). Also love how it depicts the way Elliot's mind wanders when people talk to him.

--> Jopt dis pit Tudel. <--
Maturin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-15, 07:18 PM   #22
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
This is the first show in a long time that's made me want to go back and watch frame by frame to analyze everything in the background. I've only seen the pilot but look forward to catching up on the show and the thread. So far, I like how we all seem to be characters in the story too (although we may be among the fictional ones in Elliot's mind). Also love how it depicts the way Elliot's mind wanders when people talk to him.
And you know what Maturin, they picked the perfect actor for the character. Rami Malek, has this look that makes you think he's playing with a short deck.
Old 07-20-15, 07:34 PM   #23
soup
Holds Darlton Under..Forever
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
Me too, but then I remember the last show that made me want to do that and I say "meh, let's just see how it unfolds."
Old 07-21-15, 02:10 AM   #24
Jane
Has to go back
Sees Walt

The direction in this show is really peculiar, peculiar but interesting. In this last episode I noticed an awful lot of shots where someone is positioned off-center at the edge of the frame, but looking off to the side, often talking to someone. So the center of the frame ends up being occupied by a line of shops, or a fluorescent light handing over a steel door. Weird.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-15, 02:14 AM   #25
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
In this last episode I noticed an awful lot of shots where someone is positioned off-center at the edge of the frame, but looking off to the side, often talking to someone.
Like the observer is someone other than the audience?

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-15, 05:01 PM   #26
Jane
Has to go back
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
Like the observer is someone other than the audience?
I think that the "camera" in Mr Robot is subjective, rooted in the characters, as opposed to representing the point of view of an objective audience. And it's not just Elliot's camera -- there are scenes that don't have Elliot at all. So how do we interpret the camera in these cases?

To put it in more literary terms, I think the camera can be likened to a "third person limited" perspective -- in which case, those oblique off-center shots might be reflective of characters who are themselves not exactly centered, who are off-balance, maybe even feeling marginalized.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-15, 07:12 PM   #27
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Jane, to expand on what you've said about the camera placement--It makes it hard to tell, when the speaker is shown, who is being addressed, and hard to tell in a reaction shot who is being reacted to. So someone seeming to reply to Mr. Robot could just as easily be making a statement to another member of the group.

And Elliot's hallucinations mean we couldn't tell if Romeo and Mobley left the hotel out of frustration, on their own, or because Mr. Robot (therefore "real" or at least, sharing Romeo and Mobley's "reality") told them to.

Camelsmoker, I've also been wondering if Mr. Robot might be a biohack, especially after the most recent episode. Elliot's rant about daemons (spelled that way in the title, though Elliot's words could just as easily be about demon-rum or devil-on-your-shoulder types of urges) made me do some refreshing on Greek daemons. I learned (thank you, Wikipedia) that daemon (again with the "a") is also a computer term. It refers to programs that run on their own in the background and aren't under a user's the direct control. Sounds like Mr. Robot, yes? Though perhaps not so much in the background any more.

Here at the House of Pi, we've got to love a series that puns about Raspberry Pi/Pie. (And "Pop's" yet! Elliot does seem to have some Daddy Issues.) Plus a fish that sounds an awful lot like Keith David (of "Requiem for a Dream," which certainly seemed echoed in this episode.)
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-15, 10:52 PM   #28
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Early in the series, Elliot spoke to his psychiatrist and assured her he was taking his medication and I think mention was made of schizophrenia.

Elliot has flashes of memory of his mother and himself right around the time his father died. She appears to be a harsh woman, unable or unwilling to provide Elliot the emotional support and love he needs.

I noticed when Elliot was thinking of his fish, he imagined Angela feeding him fish. At the same time he recalled his mother forcing him to eat fish as well.

Elliot also does not like to be touched -- at all. This aversion can be associated with schizophrenia as well as other emotional or mental disorders.

I've also noticed when Elliot feels threatened (which is probably too harsh a word), he resorts to researching the person electronically until he can put them in a niche which he can handle.

I also wonder about Tyrell Wellick. I think he has more problems than Elliot. Or maybe he is Elliot?

Just stray thoughts I didn't want to forget. Anyone else notice anything?

Old 07-21-15, 11:56 PM   #29
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
Early in the series, Elliot spoke to his psychiatrist and assured her he was taking his medication and I think mention was made of schizophrenia...

...Elliot also does not like to be touched -- at all. This aversion can be associated with schizophrenia as well as other emotional or mental disorders.

I've also noticed when Elliot feels threatened (which is probably too harsh a word), he resorts to researching the person electronically until he can put them in a niche which he can handle...
I've loved Gloria Rueben since E.R.

Speaking of researching people who have clout over him, remember the dossier he has on his psychiatrist.
Old 07-22-15, 12:56 AM   #30
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Yes, I do and her ex-boyfriend. I wonder if Elliot identified with the ex-boyfriend's dog -- being abused and unloved?

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »