Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > American Gods - Starz Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 05-08-17, 08:39 PM   #21
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday (Premieres April 30th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
I've decided not to sleep between episodes. I've also decided not to go to work until this first season has aired. This is such an amazing spectacle, I may not breath between episodes either.

After this last episodes opening scene, I can't wait for the next.

In the first episode, we had the Vikings making it to the Americas. They were met by the indigenous people and eventually driven back to their ships. But, before leaving, they left a shrine to the god, Odin.

In this episode, the opening scene shows a slave ship filled to the capacity heading to America. Then we're introduced to Mr. Nancy.

Now, according to Sandi's character list, Mr. Nancy is the "Trickster God". Now, I have no idea who that might be. I do remember one of the slaves praying to a god. I'm going to rewatch "American Gods Revealed", to get some background on this god.
I had heard of Anansi (Mr Nancy) before the book, but knew little about him. I don't think it would be a spoiler to read up on the actual god in West African / African-American mythology, but that's up to you, here's the wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi
Basic trickster god, as the prisoner was saying in the beginning (something like, you are known for getting out of difficult situations, etc).

Quote:
I do remember I didn't breath during that opening. One of the more awe inspiring things I've seen on television. Especially since, to the viewing audience, he was speaking English, but to the slaves, it was in their language. Man-o-man!
It really was a fantastic scene. While so far these have been different than the "Coming to America" interludes, it's REALLY keeping the flavor and the intent of the book, esp in the America-as-melting-pot themes. (I have always found it interesting that this book was written by an ex-pat Brit-- it's an outsider's perspective, an immigrant's perspective, on the cultural background of America).

Quote:
Along with the introduction of Mr. Nancy (Anansi), we had the introduction of, Media (Gillian Anderson), Czernobog (Peter Stormare) and Zorya Vechernyaya (Cloris Leachman).

The story told by Czernobog about coming to America was also fascinating. Let alone the bet he made with Shadow. Curious how that's going to play out. Can't imagine he would actually use that sledge-hammer on him. Maybe, Mr. Wednesday will come to the rescue.
I laughed at the "Everyone comes to New York first" Ellis Island reference.

As far as the bet / the hammer, there are plenty details I don't remember or only vaguely remember, but I *DO* remember how that turns out.
No Spoilers

Quote:
Forgot to mention...We got additional looks into Bilquis' obsession with admiration. This time, she devoured both male and female lovers. But, her scenes don't look like they fit with the others. Yeah, she's obviously a god, but where does she fit into the narrative of the story?
You'll find out

Quote:
"Action" isn't the vital aspect of an episode in my book. Maybe it's the idea I've never seen anything like this before. Maybe the "unknown" is where I live.
It's not vital, AND this set-up is important so I'm glad they're doing it, but I'm just so eager to see more of the scenes I remember, how they'll play out.

There was a thing that I REALLY, REALLY thought was going to happen this episode (two things, actually), and they are apparently saving them for next ep. Which makes me eager and impatient.

Quote:
The cinematography and direction are the most amazing aspects to the series so far. Too Sharp! Too stark! Too extreme. More, more and more!
I really want the next episode. Right now.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-17, 10:55 PM   #22
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
I had heard of Anansi (Mr Nancy) before the book, but knew little about him. I don't think it would be a spoiler to read up on the actual god in West African / African-American mythology, but that's up to you, here's the wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi
Basic trickster god, as the prisoner was saying in the beginning (something like, you are known for getting out of difficult situations, etc)...
Great link, Vonne. And I agree, it's not spoiler to read up on one of the characters.

Didn't know until your link, the god often took the shape of a spider. And, Orlando Jones was magnificent. Morphing from the spider to the human character.

He mentioned in his monologue something about "purple" and what a great suit and shirt he wore. Man, he was dressed to the tee.

The link also explains how he removed the shackles from the slaves. What a "trickster".

We also got a look at a statue of Bilquis, "Goddess of Love". She realized the likeness was right on too.

Quote:
...As far as the bet / the hammer, there are plenty details I don't remember or only vaguely remember, but I *DO* remember how that turns out.
No Spoilers

You'll find out

Something I wanted to mention before I forget. I noticed it from the Pilot, but forgot to comment.

In the opening credits, there's a Jewish Menorah, but the tentacles have ends that depict high-end video/audio connectors. I'm assuming this shows our worship of the electronic age. Just thought it was interesting.
Old 05-08-17, 11:17 PM   #23
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I haven't really examined the credits yet, but we need Jane in this asap.

There's even an Axis Mundi (World Tree).

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 05-11-17, 06:45 PM   #24
Jane
Has to go back
Sees Walt

I read the book when it first came out. I have only vague memories of it, despite the fact that I really liked it. So it's fun seeing the story play out without remembering it.

Y'all have a handle on the gods, so I guess I'll just attend to some of the other visuals when I have some time.

Old 05-11-17, 08:38 PM   #25
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
so I guess I'll just attend to some of the other visuals when I have some time.

Yessssssssssssssss.

Old 05-11-17, 09:21 PM   #26
Crissy
I LURK
Blew Up the Hatch

My husband said today, after we watched the second one that maybe we should wait until more are out before watching the next.

I'm loving the show so far, visually, the narrative,

I haven't read the book but I want to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Crissy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-17, 07:52 PM   #27
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

The only thing I can add to the praise is to point out Media/Lucy. Her appearing on multiple screens in a temple to consumerdom, with the word “sale” multiple times behind Shadow was just brilliant.

Anansi made his charms known right away and Czernobog called Wednesday “Wotan” (at least twice) in the latest episode. Meaning TPTB aren’t keeping certain characters’ identities on the down Low in the early part of the series. So I figure it’s ok to ask about that single bird’s shadow (shadow!) cast onto their car’s roof, shortly after Wednesday tells Shadow, “Not now, not ever. No highways.” Does it take extra power to maintain a pair of (rather than just one) ravens? Or was that a thunderbird over them?

Speaking of that car ride, any ideas about why Wednesday refers to the car as “Betty,” as in “Betty likes a slow ride” ?
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-17, 10:35 PM   #28
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Along with the introduction of Mr. Nancy (Anansi), we had the introduction of, Media (Gillian Anderson), Czernobog (Peter Stormare) and Zorya Vechernyaya (Cloris Leachman).

The story told by Czernobog about coming to America was also fascinating. Let alone the bet he made with Shadow. Curious how that's going to play out. Can't imagine he would actually use that sledge-hammer on him. Maybe, Mr. Wednesday will come to the rescue.
I'm curious about that too, Hodge. I don't see Mr. Wednesday stepping in and stopping it. He won't get Czernobog on his side by doing that. Perhaps another bet? Or, maybe Czernobog doesn't "collect" right away? Or, maybe he does and he smashes Shadow's head in thus killing him, but then Mr. Wednesday brings Shadow back? Seems like there are plenty of possibilities except -- Mr. Wednesday just stopping it. I don't see that at all.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-17, 01:00 AM   #29
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
The only thing I can add to the praise is to point out Media/Lucy. Her appearing on multiple screens in a temple to consumerdom, with the word “sale” multiple times behind Shadow was just brilliant.

Anansi made his charms known right away and Czernobog called Wednesday “Wotan” (at least twice) in the latest episode. Meaning TPTB aren’t keeping certain characters’ identities on the down Low in the early part of the series. So I figure it’s ok to ask about that single bird’s shadow (shadow!) cast onto their car’s roof, shortly after Wednesday tells Shadow, “Not now, not ever. No highways.” Does it take extra power to maintain a pair of (rather than just one) ravens? Or was that a thunderbird over them?

Oooh, I didn't pick up on the raven-or-thunderbird.

Nice.

I don't know when it becomes okay to talk about the character's identities.

Those who haven't read, is it obvious who Mr. Wednesday is?

Quote:
Speaking of that car ride, any ideas about why Wednesday refers to the car as “Betty,” as in “Betty likes a slow ride” ?
I figured that was just being cute, calling a car "Betty" or other female name is an old-fashioned thing to do.

Old 05-13-17, 10:35 PM   #30
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: American Gods - Starz Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy View Post
My husband said today, after we watched the second one that maybe we should wait until more are out before watching the next...
Crissy, why would you want to wait?

They'll be a new episode every week until the first season is finished. If you wait, you won't be able to participate in the individual episode discussions.

I definitely agree with you, its a visually stunning series.

Quote:
The only thing I can add to the praise is to point out Media/Lucy. Her appearing on multiple screens in a temple to consumerdom, with the word “sale” multiple times behind Shadow was just brilliant...
I caught that too, Pi-o-my.

I also thought the "type" of store was also indicative of getting the message out to the masses. I'm sure we all have these massive bargain-type stores in our areas.

Quote:
...Czernobog called Wednesday “Wotan” (at least twice) in the latest episode. Meaning TPTB aren’t keeping certain characters’ identities on the down Low in the early part of the series. So I figure it’s ok to ask about that single bird’s shadow (shadow!) cast onto their car’s roof, shortly after Wednesday tells Shadow, “Not now, not ever. No highways.” Does it take extra power to maintain a pair of (rather than just one) ravens? Or was that a thunderbird over them?...
I didn't catch the name Czernobog called Mr. Wednesday, although I know what that name means.

I'm more interested in the Ravens. If you notice in the series pic/separator chosen by Sandi, Mr. Wednesday has two Ravens perched. One on the right-forearm, and the other on his left shoulder.

The right-forearm is obvious. Mr. Wednesday's right hand man. Is that our Shadow, or are we expecting another god close to Mr. Wednesday?

Quote:
...Speaking of that car ride, any ideas about why Wednesday refers to the car as “Betty,” as in “Betty likes a slow ride” ?
Quote:
...I figured that was just being cute, calling a car "Betty" or other female name is an old-fashioned thing to do.
I'm going to hold my opinion until we get further into the ride, and I mean car ride instead of further into the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
I'm curious about that too, Hodge. I don't see Mr. Wednesday stepping in and stopping it. He won't get Czernobog on his side by doing that. Perhaps another bet? Or, maybe Czernobog doesn't "collect" right away? Or, maybe he does and he smashes Shadow's head in thus killing him, but then Mr. Wednesday brings Shadow back? Seems like there are plenty of possibilities except -- Mr. Wednesday just stopping it. I don't see that at all.
Yeah, I agree.

If Mr. Wednesday steps in to stop things, Czernobog will use that as a way to renege on his promise. So, maybe it's a test. As long as Mr. Wednesday stays out of it, Czernobog won't collect on the bet.

Quote:
...I don't know when it becomes okay to talk about the character's identities...
Well, Sandi posted the characters, so garnering info from the 'net I say isn't a problem.

But, I think, info from the book should still be considered spoilerish. JMO!