Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Warty's Sandman FR - Overture

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 08-19-17, 03:52 AM   #651
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR - The Kindly Ones

The Kindly Ones - Pt1

The art is notably difference as we open. We begin with the recognizable three, and they speak to that which is about to take place. The maiden creates. The mother looks over it. The crone thinks about the ending.

The allegory using yarn.. mirrors the crafting of a story so well. I wont speak of it all as I would be writing too much, but it is rich. There's a fortune, and I'm pretty sure I've read it before, but I didn't understand it at the time... or was that just a dream? I wont say it again here, but I think I will think that quite a bit here at the end. I see so much familiarity.. but were these truly things I saw and read before or it is my imagination?

Oh it's Daniel back again.. Didn't Dream once say he would come for him? The bed is covered with sand.. he's been visited by the Sandman.. or he visited him.

Daniel is part of this plan.

A crazy man gives them a flower and it reminds me of flowers from earlier in the story.. was it the ones that appeared with the death of Orpheus? The crazy man looks familiar as well. I think that is intentional.

Merv points out that there are certain things missing when you're basically a stick figure with a pumpkin head, lol

In the writing, "any" of anything is bolded as she explains to Matthew that Dream has never asked anything of her. Has Nuala wanted Morpheus to ask more of her? She does this job regardless because of a sense of responsibility? I guess that's a thing that would rub off on anyone hanging with Morpheus.

... or is it just boredom.. (again, does she want to go home). It's too bad she said she was once pretty, speaking of her earlier glamour. I wish she realized she is beautiful now as well. I love Nuala almost as much as Death.

Matthew mentions the scene where Del confirmed multiple ravens. As I said earlier.. somewhere along the way the lines between conjecture, reality, and dream have become blurred for me. In some way I think that too has been an intended consequence.

LoL at Eve saying "men" with the implied eye-roll when Matthew didn't want to talk about his failed quest to pry information about the other ravens from Morpheus.

As Lyta goes to meet Mr. Needham.. interesting.. one half of a face is real, the other stark white. Then with Lyta we have real with black. The song in the background, Lyta's late husband's favorite song; These Foolish Things.

Lyta's history is recanted. Again.. distant dreams for me. The displacement of time around her pregnancy is mentioned. That I remember clearly.. no dream. Blood keeps being mentioned.

Daniel is gone.

... and yes I know I didn't mention the re-crafting of the Corinthian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-17, 03:54 AM   #652
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post

I like to think i helped some.

The narration has been simply wonderful. I've felt transported back into the story again.

Everyone who has commented has helped.

The narration was a style I chose to approach this with, and I'll explain more about that later.

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Old 08-19-17, 04:44 AM   #653
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Additional thoughts. Reflections after the second double.

The Corinthian was created.. then recreated.
All this has happened before. The circle.

The art in this volume was fairly stunning. It seemed different than that in any other and took me to a different place.. a different feel.

Matthew asked everyone he came across why they did what they did. It seemed the general answer was because it's what I'm supposed to do.. Fate/Destiny/Preordination.

Merv bitches... it's what he does. Again. Patterns.. circles.

The piano player.... was that Lucifer?

How did whoever took Daniel to know that Lyta would be gone. Was it an inside job so to speak?

Old 08-19-17, 09:00 AM   #654
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
A crazy man gives them a flower and it reminds me of flowers from earlier in the story.. was it the ones that appeared with the death of Orpheus? The crazy man looks familiar as well. I think that is intentional.
The crazy man knows Delirium personally. Yes, you've seen him before.

Quote:
In the writing, "any" of anything is bolded as she explains to Matthew that Dream has never asked anything of her. Has Nuala wanted Morpheus to ask more of her? She does this job regardless because of a sense of responsibility? I guess that's a thing that would rub off on anyone hanging with Morpheus.

... or is it just boredom.. (again, does she want to go home). It's too bad she said she was once pretty, speaking of her earlier glamour. I wish she realized she is beautiful now as well. I love Nuala almost as much as Death.
I couldn't agree more. I have my own ideas about her motivations, and i'll tell you all about it after book 10.

Quote:
As I said earlier.. somewhere along the way the lines between conjecture, reality, and dream have become blurred for me. In some way I think that too has been an intended consequence.
It is.

Quote:
As Lyta goes to meet Mr. Needham.. interesting.. one half of a face is real, the other stark white. Then with Lyta we have real with black.
Do you remember any other characters who were two-faced like that?

Quote:
The art in this volume was fairly stunning. It seemed different than that in any other and took me to a different place.. a different feel.
Mark Hempel is the lead illustrator, and Danny Vozzo does the colours. Iirc NG had been waiting to use them as a team for this book specifically.

Quote:
Matthew asked everyone he came across why they did what they did. It seemed the general answer was because it's what I'm supposed to do.. Fate/Destiny/Preordination.
Which is contrasted against...

Quote:
The piano player.... was that Lucifer?
YES! The Star of Morning Himself, who made a choice to leave Hell behind, but not without a devil's bargain in the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 08-19-17 at 09:06 AM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-17, 12:14 PM   #655
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

I'm trying to think back on two-faced characters... not sure.

I do remember a certain trickster I've been waiting to reappear.. some other characters as well who have done things with their faces in plays on identity.

Old 08-19-17, 01:57 PM   #656
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Lucifer's companion Mazikeen, i think, is the first two-faced character introduced. I'm not trying to conflate the characters, just pointing out that it is yet another repeating motif. I understand there's no need to post all of them that you notice. I don't know for sure, but i suspect this particular motif is an homage to the DC character Harvey Dent, who was Gotham District Attorney and also a Batman foe called Two-Face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-17, 09:59 PM   #657
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

so I'm at a restaurant in Atlanta tonight called T Southern Gentleman..

I look at the beer selection, and they have one called "Orpheus Seasonal Sour"..

I guess you know what I am ordering, lol

Old 08-19-17, 10:10 PM   #658
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Ka.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-17, 11:10 PM   #659
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

second beer...

An Orpheus Transmigration of Souls

Old 08-20-17, 01:02 AM   #660
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

You're so leaving as a disembodied head.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »