Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > The Show isn't Over: As Explained by the Tommy Westphall Multiverse

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 02-15-12, 07:31 PM   #1
AllAmericanDre
Arrives By Sub

The Show isn't Over: As Explained by the Tommy Westphall Multiverse

I've copied and pasted a blog post explaining my theory. I know some of it will obviously be redundant for this board, but please stick through it to the end, I think I'm onto something:

Orientation: Tommy Westphall, Multiverses and Lost

I. The Beginning of the End

On September 22, 2004 ABC aired the Pilot Episode of "Lost". Over the next seven years Lost became one of the most polarizing shows in American Television. Lost was critically acclaimed for its compelling and mysterious plot, wonderfully acted and developed characters, and suspenseful storytelling, but simultaneously criticized for leading its viewers down a seemingly endless rabbit-hole of mysteries, giving clue after clue without knowing how (or if) they could make the chase pay of in the end for viewers.

The last episode of Lost, titled "The End" aired on May 23, 2010. "The End" was praised for bringing a satisfying and compelling conclusion to the various arcs of the popular characters of the show. However, as many had feared, at the conclusion of Lost many of the important (and minor) questions that the producers of Lost had flaunted in viewers faces were never clearly addressed with concrete answers. This drew criticism from many critics and viewers who watched Lost expecting a big payoff of the mysteries they dutifully pondered during the run of the show.

Trying to explain the full plot of Lost and its various mysteries is a task I don't have the time or energy to undertake. However, a brief and crude summary highlighting the major plot points is necessary for this post, so here goes:

Somewhere on Earth is an island which sits atop a large pocket of energy with high concentrations of "negatively charged dark matter" and electro-magnetism. This pocket of energy is referred to as "the light". For thousands of years (and possibly longer) at least one person on the island has had the gift of immortality and the task of protecting the light from those who want to abuse it. The earliest protector depicted on Lost referred to the Light as "Life, Death and Rebirth- which is inside of every living thing". Another character states that if the light is put out, every living thing on Earth will cease to exist.

Lost begins with a plan crashing on this island and takes us through the journey of the survivors of the crash. It is later determined that the current protector of the island has subtly pushed the survivors of the crash toward the island because he believed them to be candidates to protect it and become his replacement. Eventually one of the survivors is chosen as the island's protector, and he defends the island from a threat that almost succeeds in "extinguishing the Light", which would have allegedly killed every living thing on Earth.

The show ends with the death of the new protector of the island, but never resolves the issue of what the Light actually is. The show depicts various theories by different characters, but never addresses the issue with a concrete answer. The Light's scientific properties give the island and it's inhabitants the ability to teleport to different places on Earth and time-travel, and even turn anyone exposed to the Light into a shape-shifting smoke monster.

In the end, Lost ended up being about a group of broken people finding purpose in their lives, and about protecting the Light. It took seven years to find out the reason they were on the island was to protect this light, but Lost never explained what exactly it was, how it got there, how it gives it's protector immortality, or anything else about it. The best explanation viewers got were vague theories from the characters of the show, who seemed to be guessing themselves.

II. The Long Con

"St. Elsewhere" was a TV show which aired on NBC from 1982 until 1988. St. Elsewhere was a medical drama about a Hospital in Boston. Tommy Westphall, a child patient at the hospital, was a minor character in St. Elsewhere. The final episode of St. Elsewhere, titled "The Last One" reveals that the entire plot of the show has been only a day dream or figment of Tommy Westphall's imagination.

Years after the end of St. Elsewhere, a popular theory circulated around the internet. In St. Elsewhere, several different TV shows were referenced at various points during the run of the show. In theory, any show referenced on St. Elsewhere was part of Tommy Westphall's imagination, just like St. Elsewhere. This creates a web of shows all interconnected by various references which are seemingly unrelated otherwise. This has been dubbed the "Tommy Westphall Multiverse".

This link does a great job of explaining the Tommy Westphall "Multiverse".

Shows like Buffy, Seinfeld, X-Files, Walker Texas Ranger, Law and Order and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air all can be linked back to the imagination of Tommy Westphall. It's hard to imagine all of these shows, with various networks, creators and writers, were all consciously linked together by a medical drama that ran on NBC in the mid-80s.

However, every show in the Tommy Westphall Multiverse says something about St. Elsewhere. The writers of St. Elsewhere created an entire world within Tommy Westphall's mind. St. Elsewhere depicts a portion of that world, but by incorporating more shows, the writers were able to expand this world in Tommy Westphall's mind far beyond St. Elsewhere. Any show linked to the Tommy Westphall Multiverse says something about the world depicted in St. Elsewhere, whether it's intentional or not.

St. Elsewhere managed to expand it's story and mystery's beyond the limitations of the show itself and incorporate dozens and possibly hundreds of other TV shows, movies, books, etc.. to continue it's own story.

III. The Shape of Things to Come

Despite some of the negative reception to "The End", the writers, directors and producers of Lost are all considered to have pulled off one of the greatest productions in American TV. Lost told a complex and emotional story with brilliant acting, directing, writing and production value over seven years with critical and commercial success. The behind the scenes forces of Lost were able to get new shows green-lit on various TV networks in the years after Lost went off the air. Furthermore, ABC seems to be willing to take more chances in its programming with complex stories, longer narratives and the sci-fi genre in general due to the success of Lost.

Specifically, three new shows seem to have been directly influenced by Lost: ABC's "The River; ABC's "Once Upon a Time"; and Fox's "Alcatraz".

The River, which premiered on ABC this month, seems to be ABC's attempt to fill the void left from Lost by intertwining horror and sci-fi. Oren Pelli, the director of the Paranormal Activity franchise, has created a first person account of the search for a lost TV star along the Amazon river. Emmit Cole, (think Steve Irwin) disapears while searching for various animals and cultures in the Amazon. Cole's family and a documentary crew set out to search for him, and encounter supernatural beings and events during their search.

Once Upon a time, written by two former Lost writers, uses the Lost narrative of character centric episodes that jump back and forth between past and present. The show centers around story book characters (Snow White, Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin) who have been trapped in the real world city of "Storybrooke" due to a curse by the Evil Queen in Snow White.

Fox's Alcatraz is produced by many of the same producers and directors of Lost. In Alcatraz, the last remaining prisoners and guards on the island disappear in 1963, although the government cover-up claims they were all transferred. The missing inmates and guards start reappearing in 2012 and the show follows the police and FBI agents who track them down and attempt to piece together what happened. Alcatraz also uses the Lost narrative with each episode focusing on one former inmate, switching back and forth between that inmates time at Alcatraz and present day.

IV. The Constant

Lost didn't end with a St. Elsewhere moment; there is no "Huge Reyes Multiverse". However, that doesn't mean the creative minds behind Lost aren't using other avenues to help answer some of Lost's biggest questions.

The River, for instance, has hinted that Emmit Cole was looking for, or found "the source" or "a place where all life begins and ends". Sound familiar? Alcatraz is solely centered around one question, how did the prisoners time travel off the island fifty years into the future? One prisoner even describes the event as everything going white, and then he appeared in 2012, which is very similar to how Lost depicted time-travel. I haven't spotted a direct correlation between Once Upon a Time and Lost's mysteries, but I won't be shocked if something develops (a better explanation of Lost's take on the after-life in it's "flash-sideways" of season six?).

The creative minds of Lost used six seasons to tell the story of the shows characters. What if the writers decided the mysteries couldn't be done justice in the same time frame? Instead of rushing out hurried and unfulfilling answers, they decided to use projects over the rest of their careers to slowly and subtly fill in the blanks left by Lost.

Lost was always about finding the next clue and speculating as to what it meant. Maybe the writers of Lost found a way to continue that game long after the show itself aired it's final episode. By not answering every mystery, every episode of The River, Once Upon a Time, Alcatraz, and who knows what else could be giving us clues to put the puzzle together and new ways to view and understand Lost.

"The End" has been criticized for not fully answering the questions the show begged us to ask. What if we were never supposed to stop looking?

It only ends once, anything that happens before that is just progress.

Post Edit: In case you are wondering, yes, Lost is in the Tommy Westphall Multiverse.
AllAmericanDre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-12, 01:12 AM   #2
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice
Re: The Show isn't Over: As Explained by the Tommy Westphall Multiverse

nice to read a fresh and current theory !

I agree with what you posted and was thinking the same thing, especially in regards to alcatraz.. hated the river but did see the lines you talked about.. but these are new stories, they won't answer what is over with what is to come in other shows. now they're just reusing tricks, but your knda saying that too..
so yeah, good post.

as for the MULTIVERSE.. don't get me started, I'm still pissed it decohered out of existence.

Last edited by yung23; 02-16-12 at 01:17 AM.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-12, 02:19 AM   #3
AllAmericanDre
Arrives By Sub

Thanks for the reply Yung!

Sounds like you're out on the River, but they referenced "the source" again on the latest episode.

I really think in the next few years we will see TV shows connected with Lost creative minds that answer questions about the light, the numbers, and the mechanics of the time travel.

I'm hoping to get more involvement on this theory as I don't have the time to research every show that could tie in, but with the collective power of the posters on this board I know we could keep finding answers.

Btw, how did the multiverse get decohered out of existence? And my apologies in advance, as this question does the direct opposite of "not getting you started".
AllAmericanDre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-12, 09:13 PM   #4
sgtdraino
Keeper of Locke's Luggage
Carries Big Stick

Hey AAD,

Interesting theory. I too wouldn't mind a "back-door sequel" to Lost that explains some stuff, similar to back-door sequels to both Lone Gunmen and Millenium, which aired on The X-Files after those two series had been cancelled.

However, I think I agree with yung on this one: The new shows in question are just borrowing ideas similar to ones presented on Lost, because heck, Lost had some really compelling ideas.

After all, if they were really going to answer mysteries, you'd think the show written by Darlton would be the one most likely to do that... and yet you've noted that there is no evident correlation between that show and Lost.

I do agree with you that Darlton didn't completely answer every mystery because they wanted people to keep looking. They've said on more than one occasion that they didn't want to "midichlorean" themselves, a reference to George Lucas taking a bit too much mystery out of The Force, rendering it more mundaine. Things that remain mysterious are, by nature, more mysterous!

However, I'd also say that Darlton found they were simply not up to the task of wrapping up what they created. They wrote themselves into a corner, leaving too many loose ends behind.
Old 02-17-12, 05:25 PM   #5
TheWatcher
BANNED
Escapes the Cage

Its a very well written and thought out theory but I am sorry to say I do not buy into it.
Lost is over.
The show ended when it ended. No further messages are being received from the island.
New shows mentioning something that reminds you of Lost does not make it connected to Lost. It is either a coincidence or a writer using a simular theme.
Sorry, but I think its better if you hear it strainght and move on.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-12, 06:18 PM   #6
Blew Up the Hatch

Sometimes there's a fine line between a theory and desperate wish-fulfillment fantasy.

3519273540 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-12, 11:30 PM   #7
yung23
Hears the Whispers

I know its wishful thinking but everytime I see that alcatraz poster on the subway or bus etc.. it reminds me of something...

Old 02-20-12, 02:08 PM   #8
TheWatcher
BANNED
Escapes the Cage

Being "reminded" of something is okay...but thinking its connected to and/or sending one messages is a complete other subject.

Those suffereng from the latter need to seek medical attention.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-12, 01:13 AM   #9
yung23
Hears the Whispers

thats exactly what eko told me in my dream last night.

Old 02-22-12, 02:28 AM   #10
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I too think that they are over and done with Lost. They may have learned from their mistakes on Lost, e.g., how to create a more cohesive story and follow through. Though I have noticed similarities with the music on the different shows, (same composer?)

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »