Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NFL Thread Pt. II

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 12-17-17, 11:09 PM   #7201
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: NFL Thread Pt. II

So the Saints played well enough to beat the Jets, though it was a much closer game than the final score suggests.

I'm worried about them facing the Falcons next week. It's probably the line between a potential 3 seed and a potential 6 seed, although the Falcons and Panthers face off in wk 17, and it's nice that they can't both win, although it's unfortunate that they can't both lose (unless there's a tie, i guess, but i wonder what the odds of that are).

Good game going in Pittsburgh right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-17, 01:14 AM   #7202
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

I didn't watch New England v Pittsburgh but I guess there was a late Pittsburgh TD that was reversed due to lack of control. I haven't seen a replay yet. Then a late interception when Pittsburgh was trying to score a TD. If Pittsburgh had won they'd have sealed the east. Now Pittsburgh has to win to stay ahead of Jacksonville. Jacksonville has the tie breaker. I don't think New England will lose the next two games although Buffalo may play better than they did a couple of weeks ago. Jacksonville has two road games. Tennessee may be toast. They lost to SF a game they should have won. Next they host LA Rams who massacred Seattle on the road. I think they'll do the same to Tennessee.
Old 12-18-17, 01:30 AM   #7203
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

... and the Browns are 0-14. *cringe*
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 12-18-17, 02:57 AM   #7204
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

They deserve to be 0-14. It starts with the owners who are starting to make Art Modell look good. If only a little.

Oh now that the Steelers actually have to win games the Browns have zero chance to win the last game against the Steelers. The Browns' only chance is on the road against the Bears. The 49ers beat the Bears on the road. Maybe the Browns can too????? Cue laugh track.
Old 12-18-17, 11:25 AM   #7205
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

The Pats finish was legitimate, although Steelers fans may disagree. First, Brady and Gronk moved the team down the field with two or so minutes left, trailing by 5, and Lewis took in the touchdown, followed by a 2-point conversion to Gronk (who was on fire in the fourth quarter). Steelers then had under a minute to score from their own 20 or so, but their first play went for something like 69 yards, and on the next their tight end seemed to get in for the score. However, the ball did roll around when it hit the ground, and like it or not, that nullifies a touchdown. What really stunned me was the fact that Pittsburgh then decided to go for a fake spike and pass (which was intercepted in the end zone) instead of attempting a field goal to send it to overtime. An altogether crazy game, but the Pats got the win and the top seed for now.

The Cowboys game was similarly odd at the end (a piece of paper was used to determine a first-down measurement, among some other curious things), but they came away with a win too. I hope Hodge got to enjoy the game. He didn't submit any picks this week, and hasn't posted for awhile. Hope all is okay, Hodge!
Old 12-22-17, 01:25 AM   #7206
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

The schedule for this year was particularly well crafted. Lots of drama left even though there are only two games left.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 12-23-17, 08:39 AM   #7207
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

A nod of appreciation to Dick Enberg, who passed away yesterday. Along with Pat Summerall, probably my favorite of the NFL play-by-play men. That old-school sound was such a pleasure to listen to.

Speaking of old-school, it looks like the XFL may start up again, and this time I may watch it. I'm hearing a similar sentiment from a lot of fans who wouldn't even glance at it back on its first go-around. But its promoters promise a return to the more traditional NFL experience, and if they tone down some of the silliness of the old XFL, they may find themselves in the perfect time and place for success.
Old 12-24-17, 10:14 PM   #7208
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Yep, always enjoyed Mr Enberg.

Well there's a new term - gluteus maximus fumble recovery or was that an interception??

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days

Last edited by Zaphod of Whiskers; 12-25-17 at 09:05 PM.
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-17, 10:17 PM   #7209
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Personally i preferred the arena league to the XFL, but you have some good points there, Peggy Sawyer. Part of my predilection was certainly due to homerism, as when the highly successful Firebirds franchise moved from Albany to greener pastures, i lost interest in the game. BUT the arena league will be re-expanding into Albany this spring! Team has yet to be named.

________

But enough about that. The Saints beat the Falcons today!!!!!!! Assuming they can handle their business against the Bucs next week (and as much as no NFL game is ever a gimme, those late season divisional games can be straight-up trap games, so i hope NOS don't let up) there will be at least one post-season game in The Big Easy this season.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 01-01-18, 02:04 AM   #7210
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

Well, that wraps up the regular season. Pats take first seed in AFC after a so-so start back in September, so yay.

Bills somehow sneak in thanks to an unbelievable 4th-and-12 play from midfield by Cincinnati to beat the Ravens. I remember the last time Buffalo was in a playoff game--the Music City Miracle when Wade Phillips unaccountably started Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie and lost to the Titans (who also appear to have gotten in this year). I don't know if any of these wild card teams will go far, but it's been interesting seeing who, in this very unusual season, would make it to the postseason at all.

Not unusual is the Browns awful year. First team since the Lions about ten years ago to go winless. And they will continue to lose as long as they have Hue Jackson coaching them. He is clueless.

Jimmy G perfect as a 49er...they will be a serious team to watch next year.

Already a couple coaches out (Del Rio, Pagano) and lots more coming tomorrow.

Carroll should not be one of them, but wow, he needs to revamp his team.

Haven't seen who's playing who in the playoffs yet, but will enjoy the luxury of a bye while seeing what twists this next weekend may bring.

Memorable season in its way; now let's finish it in style, NE.